PDA

View Full Version : Stone to Flesh

Gravious
2010-08-19, 10:17 PM
Okay, basic, basic question: Can this spell be used ONLY to rescue originally fleshy creatures from Flesh to Stone, or could you pick up a pebble and turn it into a little hunk 'o meat?

RufusCorvus
2010-08-19, 10:19 PM
The second paragraph is the relevant text. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm)

Tetrasodium
2010-08-19, 10:19 PM
Okay, basic, basic question: Can this spell be used ONLY to rescue originally fleshy creatures from Flesh to Stone, or could you pick up a pebble and turn it into a little hunk 'o meat?

Yup... sure can...

The spell also can convert a mass of stone into a fleshy substance. Such flesh is inert and lacking a vital life force unless a life force or magical energy is available. (For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.) You can affect an object that fits within a cylinder from 1 foot to 3 feet in diameter and up to 10 feet long or a cylinder of up to those dimensions in a larger mass of stone.

Gravious
2010-08-19, 10:21 PM
Ah, thank ye. The 10 foot long cylinder is kind of a downer though... I wanted to fleshify and animate castles.

Tetrasodium
2010-08-19, 10:25 PM
Ah, thank ye. The 10 foot long cylinder is kind of a downer though... I wanted to fleshify and animate castles.

fleshify that statue of the king who owns the castle ;)

Halae
2010-08-19, 11:50 PM
keep in mind, the thing is dead when it becoes fleshy. I really like using a pitfiend stature for this, then casting an undead creation spell, combined with awaken undead

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-20, 01:16 AM
So THATS where spam comes from....

I suppose you could do multiple 10 foot cylinders every day for a few years as the castle was being built, or turn individual building blocks into meat as it was being built....

i'm not sure why youd want to make the walls WEAKER though. Or how you'd prevent rotting.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-20, 01:22 AM
Or how you'd prevent rotting.
Gentle Repose (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/gentlerepose.htm) to the rescue!

Aroka
2010-08-20, 01:25 AM
keep in mind, the thing is dead when it becoes fleshy. I really like using a pitfiend stature for this, then casting an undead creation spell, combined with awaken undead

Why does it matter what shape the stone is? When you turn it into flesh, it's going to collapse into a grotesque heap because it has no bones, ligaments, and the like. When you animate it, it's going to be some kind of undead jelly.

Wonton
2010-08-20, 01:30 AM
So THATS where spam comes from....

You actually made me want to throw up. Congratulations. :smallyuk:

Somewhat unrelated, but I've always wanted to Flesh to Stone someone, and follow it up with Stone to Sand, Quickened Sand to Glass... and then Shatter.

Zaydos
2010-08-20, 01:33 AM
You actually made me want to throw up. Congratulations. :smallyuk:

Somewhat unrelated, but I've always wanted to Flesh to Stone someone, and follow it up with Stone to Sand, Quickened Sand to Glass... and then Shatter.

Just Flesh to Ice and then Shatter.

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-20, 01:53 AM
We had the party's female paladin get turned to stone. My dwarven cleric with ranks in stone cutting promptly went to work making a few "improvements"

Wonton
2010-08-20, 02:44 AM
Just Flesh to Ice and then Shatter.

Didn't say it was the best method (that crown goes to Rock to Mud, Purify Food and Drink), but Shattering your enemy's glass statue is definitely the most bad-ass one.

Adumbration
2010-08-20, 02:54 AM
I actually prefer Flesh to Salt and then opening my Decanter of Endless water on Geyser mode.

Shademan
2010-08-20, 03:47 AM
I can see this being used in sieges.
"take those towers down! MASS STONE TO FLEEESH!"
oh the horror....

Halae
2010-08-20, 05:09 AM
I can see this being used in sieges.
"take those towers down! MASS STONE TO FLEEESH!"
oh the horror....

I must research this spell with my wizard now

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 05:21 AM
Yup... sure can...

(For example, this spell would turn a stone golem into a flesh golem, but an ordinary statue would become a corpse.)

Aside from the whole "enslaving an elemental being to create a golem ought to be evil" argument- might this be a way of creating flesh golems without having to cast the [evil] spell Animate Dead, and thus, without committing an evil act?

Imagine a multiclass wizard/paladin with his own flesh golems to command, through utilizing Stone to Flesh.

Lysander
2010-08-20, 08:20 AM
We had the party's female paladin get turned to stone. My dwarven cleric with ranks in stone cutting promptly went to work making a few "improvements"

See, rule of cool means she's changed when turned back. It's also possible though that she just ends up with masses of her flesh and bone shaved off, and starts bleeding from the horrific wounds.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-20, 08:24 AM
See, rule of cool means she's changed when turned back. It's also possible though that she just ends up with masses of her flesh and bone shaved off, and starts bleeding from the horrific wounds.

The rule actually states that it'll hurt and it will be ugly.

Greenish
2010-08-20, 08:25 AM
Aside from the whole "enslaving an elemental being to create a golem ought to be evil" argument-I seem to recall that there was a faction of gnomes in one of the Eberron books that argued that. Of course, they did elemental binding too, but they asked nicely.

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 08:29 AM
The actual stone golem rules:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm#stoneGolem

say that all Stone to Flesh does, is negate its DR and magic immunity for 1 round.

Does that mean you have to cast the spell twice rather than once to create a flesh golem, or that the bit in Stone To Flesh that says you can create stone golems from flesh golems, is in error?

Yuki Akuma
2010-08-20, 08:33 AM
Why does it matter what shape the stone is? When you turn it into flesh, it's going to collapse into a grotesque heap because it has no bones, ligaments, and the like. When you animate it, it's going to be some kind of undead jelly.

The actual text of the spell says that casting it on a statue creates a corpse. That is, a dead body.

One assumes the spell creates bones and ligaments. Otherwise, it wouldn't work on people turned to stone, would it?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-20, 08:33 AM
The actual stone golem rules:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm#stoneGolem

say that all Stone to Flesh does, is negate its DR and magic immunity for 1 round.

Does that mean you have to cast the spell twice rather than once to create a flesh golem, or that the bit in Stone To Flesh that says you can create stone golems from flesh golems, is in error?

Might be nethack lore. Casting Stone to Flesh on a stone golem turns it into a flesh golem.

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 08:38 AM
The SRD version of the spell:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneToFlesh.htm

does seem to suggest it works.

Simplest to assume it works- but only on a golem that's had its magic immunity lowered- by casting the spell on it first.

So- double-cast, and you have a flesh golem.

Telok
2010-08-20, 11:08 AM
This is a truly wicked thing to do to someone.

Flesh to Stone. Stone Shape (statue of target into statue of giant genitalia with the target's head on top). Stone to Flesh.

Of course just the sheer level of DM abuse you can get by combining Stone Shape, Stone to Flesh, 4chan, and rule 34, is sufficiently nasty for me to avoid this sort of thing unless I'm playing a really evil character. Like... when I DM.

Beelzebub1111
2010-08-20, 12:37 PM
The exact combination is:
Stone to flesh, Rock to Mud, Purify Water.

Roga
2010-08-20, 01:03 PM
If the Flesh to Stone-Stone Shape-Stone to Flesh combo works, would that mean you could take an Obese guy and reshape him into a Buff guy, possibly with wings?

Keld Denar
2010-08-20, 01:13 PM
Or the unendowed lady into a more curvy lady. Bewbies! :smallcool:

EDIT:

Stone to fleshFlesh to Stone, Transmute Rock to Mud, Purify Water Food and Drink.

Ya had it backwards :P

rat-morningstar
2010-08-20, 01:31 PM
so THAT's how sex change works in D&D

Snake-Aes
2010-08-20, 01:32 PM
so THAT's how sex change works in D&D

Suddenly I think flesh to stone is standard fare and surgeons are actually stoneworkers with two weeks experience in the Doc Camp. Mending bones resembling lego!

jiriku
2010-08-20, 01:35 PM
A bizarre if effective method of performing magitech cosmetic surgery.

fryplink
2010-08-20, 01:36 PM
flesh to ice, melt the ice to water, then bless water? Do it to a demon as the ultimate insult? What happens if you turn them back, where does the holy energy go? A holy demon? Does it become a neutral outsider? An elemental? Or is it for all intents and purposes gone from existence?

Snake-Aes
2010-08-20, 01:37 PM
flesh to ice, melt the ice to water, then bless water? Do it to a demon as the ultimate insult? What happens if you turn them back, where does the holy energy go? A holy demon? Does it become a neutral outsider? An elemental? Or is it for all intents and purposes gone from existence?

Might as well assume it is killed and the melting finishes the corpse. Otherwise a Control Water would be a permanent expand/shrink

Ravens_cry
2010-08-20, 01:39 PM
Stone to flesh, Rock to Mud, Purify Water.
Doesn't work.

This spell turns natural, uncut or unworked rock of any sort into an equal volume of mud. Magical stone is not affected by the spell.

The statue is not naturally a statue, it's turned into one by other magic.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-20, 01:41 PM
Doesn't work.

The statue is not naturally a statue, it's turned into one by other magic.

Flesh to stone is instantaneous and the resulting statue is "inert". It's unclear whether it's magical or in any form different from "Natural" stone.

fryplink
2010-08-20, 01:43 PM
Might as well assume it is killed and the melting finishes the corpse. Otherwise a Control Water would be a permanent expand/shrink

I'm assuming flesh to ice works just like flesh to stone, except ice instead of stone. (is it in a book? or was it just made up?)

The soul is present until they are shifted back to their original form? If so, I just sanctified a demon! Purify the Wicked!

Control Water, I like it, attack of the Gigantic fly!

Keld Denar
2010-08-20, 01:44 PM
Since Flesh to Stone is instantaneous and can't be dispelled, it is, for all intents and purposes, non-magical stone.

It wouldn't qualify as natural, uncut, or unworked though.

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 01:45 PM
I'm assuming flesh to ice works just like flesh to stone, except ice instead of stone. (is it in a book? or was it just made up?)

It's in Frostburn.

There's also Flesh to Salt, in Sandstorm.

Since Flesh to Stone is instantaneous and can't be dispelled, it is, for all intents and purposes, non-magical stone.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneshape.htm

It doesn't specify stone needs to be natural, uncut, or unworked to shape it.

Does say that "fine detail" is not possible though.

Ravens_cry
2010-08-20, 02:43 PM

Not all intents and purposes. If Flesh to Stone is cast on it, it will revert to the original person and not some random corpse or wad of meat as with any other stone.

Abies
2010-08-20, 02:51 PM
If the Flesh to Stone-Stone Shape-Stone to Flesh combo works, would that mean you could take an Obese guy and reshape him into a Buff guy, possibly with wings?

If he survives the DC 15 Fort save StF requires, sure, he'll be shaped like a buff guy with wings, just the muscles and wings would be made of fat.

I can see this being the sort of thing an evil caster would do to make his minions or enemies all misshapen and wretched, but not as a legitimate way of changing another's appearance or body type.

Randel
2010-08-20, 06:11 PM
Say, if you set up a repeating 'Stone to Flesh' trap (or magic item) then you could turn a 3 ft diameter 10 ft long cylinder into meat every six seconds.

Might not be good for turning a castle into meat, but it could come in handy in a mining operation... or a dungeon.

Say a dwarven mining crew get ahold of a magic item that casts stone to flesh. If its stationary they could dig in their mine, extract any valuable minerals they see, and send the slag to the device which turns it into spam. Then, they process the spam (to remove any impurities or bits of iron or gold since valuable mineras aren't 'stone') and can either use it as food for themselves, feedstock for animals, fertilizer for crops, or sell it to druids.

Meat created from a stone-to-flesh spell should be vegetarian because it didn't involve hurting animals so they could sell it to druids or other peaceful people. Proper cooking and preserving should make it tasty.

Plus, turning stone into meat should make it easier to transport or at least be more useful than slag usually is.

Feed it to animals like pigs or dogs and then send them outside to 'do their business' may or may not be better then having to dump piles of gravel and slag outside.

Burn it like firewood. Meat has energy in it like wood does, just dry the spam out and toss it in the fire and it should burn fairly well. Outsiders visiting a dwarven operation where they do that might be shocked but with ready access to meat then it makes more sense than using wood. Still have to dump out the ashes though.

Dump it in a river. Rocks sink while meat floats (I think). At the very least the dwarves could dump it in a river and let it wash downstream. Would likely gross out anyone downstream (although the fish might like it) could cause all sorts of environmental problems.

Use as fertilizer or compost. Living underground for long periods of would mean they would need crops and without the sun then plants would need some source of energy. Fungi could process the chemical energy from the meat to grow, then the dwarves harvest the mushrooms and make beer out of them. No idea if its possible to make alchohol out of meat but if they did it would probably be an 'acquired taste'.

Then, once dwarves have a relatively easy way to transmute rock into food or fuel then they can just keep digging through the mountain forever. The resulting dwarven mine could be near self-sustaining (aside from dumping garbage and sewage somewhere... likely downstream) and might get enough gems and materials in their mining operation to make more stone-to-flesh items. The dwarves could slowly but surely grow their tunnels across the land, turning rock into food while not really needing to work with outsiders.

Heh, a digging race with access to regular use of stone-to-flesh magic could almost be like termites slowly eating their way across the earth. You almost wonder how all those ancient tunnels, dungeons, and caverns were created?

El Dorado
2010-08-20, 08:13 PM
Our group needed to break into a vampire's stone coffin (it was very large and proved very difficult to damage) so my drow wizard pulled out a scroll of stone to flesh (random treasure that I thought she'd never use) and collapsed one of its walls. It was pretty creepy and disgusting, even for Ravenloft. :smallwink:

LordShotGun
2010-08-20, 08:26 PM
Say, if you set up a repeating 'Stone to Flesh' trap (or magic item) then you could turn a 3 ft diameter 10 ft long cylinder into meat every six seconds.

Might not be good for turning a castle into meat, but it could come in handy in a mining operation... or a dungeon.

Say a dwarven mining crew get ahold of a magic item that casts stone to flesh. If its stationary they could dig in their mine, extract any valuable minerals they see, and send the slag to the device which turns it into spam. Then, they process the spam (to remove any impurities or bits of iron or gold since valuable mineras aren't 'stone') and can either use it as food for themselves, feedstock for animals, fertilizer for crops, or sell it to druids.

Meat created from a stone-to-flesh spell should be vegetarian because it didn't involve hurting animals so they could sell it to druids or other peaceful people. Proper cooking and preserving should make it tasty.

Plus, turning stone into meat should make it easier to transport or at least be more useful than slag usually is.

Feed it to animals like pigs or dogs and then send them outside to 'do their business' may or may not be better then having to dump piles of gravel and slag outside.

Burn it like firewood. Meat has energy in it like wood does, just dry the spam out and toss it in the fire and it should burn fairly well. Outsiders visiting a dwarven operation where they do that might be shocked but with ready access to meat then it makes more sense than using wood. Still have to dump out the ashes though.

Dump it in a river. Rocks sink while meat floats (I think). At the very least the dwarves could dump it in a river and let it wash downstream. Would likely gross out anyone downstream (although the fish might like it) could cause all sorts of environmental problems.

Use as fertilizer or compost. Living underground for long periods of would mean they would need crops and without the sun then plants would need some source of energy. Fungi could process the chemical energy from the meat to grow, then the dwarves harvest the mushrooms and make beer out of them. No idea if its possible to make alchohol out of meat but if they did it would probably be an 'acquired taste'.

Then, once dwarves have a relatively easy way to transmute rock into food or fuel then they can just keep digging through the mountain forever. The resulting dwarven mine could be near self-sustaining (aside from dumping garbage and sewage somewhere... likely downstream) and might get enough gems and materials in their mining operation to make more stone-to-flesh items. The dwarves could slowly but surely grow their tunnels across the land, turning rock into food while not really needing to work with outsiders.

Heh, a digging race with access to regular use of stone-to-flesh magic could almost be like termites slowly eating their way across the earth. You almost wonder how all those ancient tunnels, dungeons, and caverns were created?

Sounds like this one thread I saw talking about ways to harness the Tarrasque's regneration power by slicing off bit and peices of it to feed people. Eventually people started to come up with lots of fluff on how a socity would grow up around a trapped/harnessed Tarrasque.

MickJay
2010-08-20, 08:32 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/stoneshape.htm
It doesn't specify stone needs to be natural, uncut, or unworked to shape it.

Does say that "fine detail" is not possible though.

It was a reference to why Rock to Mud does not work on Flesh-to-Stoned creatures, I believe.

Alleran
2010-08-20, 10:18 PM
If Stone to Flesh creates a corpse, then via Wall of Stone plus stone shaping spells, couldn't you use a combination of spells to bring the created corpse to life?

Lysander
2010-09-02, 03:48 PM
Sounds like this one thread I saw talking about ways to harness the Tarrasque's regneration power by slicing off bit and peices of it to feed people. Eventually people started to come up with lots of fluff on how a socity would grow up around a trapped/harnessed Tarrasque.

The best part of that thread was speculation on what long term consumption of Tarrasque meat does to humans. One proposal is that over several generations it turns humans into monstrous creatures, and imparts a bit of the Tarrasque's regenerative powers. The other part of that proposal was that this already happened a long time ago, and that's where trolls came from.

Douglas
2010-09-02, 04:31 PM

No, no, you're not thinking like a proper dwarf. Research a homebrew Transmute Stone to Beer spell and use that instead. Combine with a long duration source of poison immunity such as Heroes Feast for best effect.