PDA

View Full Version : Holy Solars! [3.5 Creature]

Temotei
2010-08-19, 11:49 PM
Arc Walker
Gargantuan Magical Beast (Extraplanar, Good)
Hit Dice 28d10+336 (490 hp)
Speed 80 ft. (16 squares), fly 160 ft. (good)
Initiative: +7
Armor Class 37 (-4 size, +7 Dex, +24 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 30
Base Attack/Grapple +28/+53
Attack Bite +41 melee (4d6+13)
Full-Attack Bite +41 melee (4d6+13) and tail slap +41 melee (2d8+6) and 4 claws +41 melee (2d8+6)
Space 20 ft.; Reach 15 ft.
Special Attacks Breath weapon, crush, spell-like abilities, tail slap
Special Qualities Change shape, creature of rainbows, damage reduction 20/epic and evil, darkvision 60 ft., fast healing 10, immunity to acid, cold, and petrification, low-light vision, protective aura, resistance to electricity 10 and fire 10, spell resistance 38, telepathy 100 ft.
Saves Fort +28 (+32 against poison), Ref +25, Will +18
Abilities Str 36, Dex 25, Con 34, Int 18, Wis 24, Cha 26
Skills Concentration +23, Diplomacy +39, Knowledge (religion) +29, Knowledge (the planes) +30, Listen +38, Sense Motive +38, Spot +38
Feats Awesome Blow, Combat Reflexes, Flyby Attack, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Flyby Attack, Improved MultiattackB, Improved TripB, Iron WillB, Knock-Down, Lightning ReflexesB, Martial Stance (aura of triumph), Martial Study (castigating strike), Martial Study (defensive rebuke), Martial Study (vanguard strike), MultiattackB, Power AttackB, Quicken Spell-Like Ability (heal)B
Environment Any good-aligned plane
Organization Solitary, pair, family (3-12), or raid (1-6 plus 100% mounted angels)
Challenge Rating 19
Treasure Double standard
Alignment Always good (any)
Advancement 29-37 HD (Gargantuan); 38-80 HD (Colossal)
Level Adjustment —

The arc walker is a majestic beast from the heavens, often ridden by angels. It has the shape of a wolf, but with the claws of a dragon and the tail in the shape of a beaver's. Big, glowing orbs of gold stare with an intelligence almost unprecedented in any beast. Its tail slowly flaps up and down when it flies, and its teeth, claws, and tail constantly change color, running through each color of the rainbow in a pattern.

An arc walker is 15 feet wide, 20 feet tall, and 40 feet long, weighing about 60,000 pounds.

Combat

Arc walkers try to reason with their enemies before anything, using their tongues-affected telepathy. If that doesn't work, they take flight, using their rainbow breath weapon and spell-like abilities to hinder opponents. If that method of attack doesn't work, they resort to their great strength, crushing their opponents, and finally, using their natural weapons.

Bite
An arc walker's bite attack deals 4d6+13 damage.

Breath Weapon (Su)
The arc walker can breathe a rainbow in a 60-foot cone to deal 4d4 damage of each energy type (acid, cold, electricity, fire, sonic), totaling 20d4 damage, once every 1d4 rounds. A successful DC 36 Reflex save halves the damage from each type of energy. Creatures hit by the breath weapon with 8 HD or less are automatically blinded for 2d4 rounds. Roll 1d8 when the arc walker uses its breath weapon. Extra damage is halved if the creature succeeds on its Reflex save.

1d8
Effect

20 additional points of fire damage

20 additional points of acid damage

20 additional points of electricity damage

Poison (Kills; Fortitude partial, take 1d6 points of Con damage instead)

Turned to stone (Fortitude negates)

Insane, as insanity spell (Will negates)

Sent to another plane (Will negates)

Roll twice more, ignoring any "8" results

Change Shape (Su)
An arc walker can assume the form of any Small or Medium animal.

Claw
Claw attacks deal 2d8+6 damage. These are secondary attacks.

Creature of Rainbows (Su)
The arc walker leaves a rainbow behind it wherever it travels. Any living, good-aligned creature can walk across it. While on the rainbow, creatures gain fast healing 5 and are under the effects of protection from evil. Neutral, evil, and undead creatures are unable to walk on the rainbow. Any part of the rainbow lasts for 1 minute after the arc walker leaves that spot.

In addition, any successful attack the arc walker makes with its natural weapons leaves rainbow marks on the target. At the end of the round, after the arc walker's action, these marks explode in prismatic color, blinding any creature within 20 feet. A DC 32 Fortitude save negates the blindness.

Crush (Ex)
This special attack allows a flying or jumping arc walker to land on opponents as a standard action, using its whole body to crush them. Crush attacks are effective only against opponents three or more size categories smaller than the arc walker (though it can attempt normal overrun or grapple attacks against larger opponents).

A crush attack affects as many creatures as can fit under the arc walker's body. Creatures in the affected area must succeed on a Reflex save (DC equal to that of the arc walker's breath weapon) or be pinned, automatically taking bludgeoning damage during the next round unless the arc walker moves off them. If the arc walker chooses to maintain the pin, treat it as a normal grapple attack. Pinned opponents take damage from the crush each round if they don't escape.

A crush attack deals 4d6+13 damage.

Heavenly
The arc walker is treated as having the angel subtype, except tongues only works with its telepathy, as it cannot speak. In addition, any water the arc walker touches becomes holy water, and all of its attacks are granted the benefits of smite evil as if it were a paladin with levels equal to its Hit Dice.

Spell-Like Abilities
At will—aid, color spray (DC 19), continual flame, holy smite (DC 22), light, remove fear (DC 19); 7/day—cure moderate wounds (DC 20), remove curse (DC 21), remove disease (DC 21); 3/day—greater restoration (DC 25), heal (DC 24), holy word (DC 26), prismatic wall (DC 26), scintillating pattern (DC 26); 1/day—mass heal (DC 27), permanency, prismatic sphere (DC 27). Caster level 20th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

The following abilities are always active on an arc walker, as the spells (caster level 20th)
detect evil, detect snares and pits, see invisibility, true seeing. They can be dispelled, but the arc walker can reactivate them as a free action.

Tail Slap
The arc walker can slap one opponent each round with its tail. A tail slap deals 2d8+6 damage and is treated as a secondary attack.

Arc Walker Lore
Characters that have ranks in Knowledge (arcana) can learn more about arc walkers. When a character makes a successful skill check, the following lore is revealed, including the information from lower DCs.

DC 38: "These massive beasts are often ridden by angels." A character making this check recalls all extraplanar, good, and magical beast traits.
DC 43: "Called an arc walker, this magnificent creature's ire is not one to raise; luckily, it favors peace over violence." A character making this check knows the workings of an arc walker's breath weapon and crush, as well as its immunities.
DC 48: "Rare tales tell of pure men going to their afterlives early in the wake of arc walkers." A character making this check remembers the mechanics of an arc walker's creature of rainbows and heavenly abilities.
DC 53: "These creatures once served as diplomats in ancient times of war between the upper and lower planes, as well as powerful mounts and soldiers when relations turned sour." A character making this check is familiar with an arc walker's spell-like abilities.

Adventure Hooks

An arc walker is being kept captive by local priests, who claim it is a symbol from their god to keep. They're using the beast to turn their "holy water" into actual holy water.

A family of arc walkers soars above, blanketing the sky in what may be the most beautiful spectacle anyone could ever see. However, after a few seconds, something threatens to ruin this scene. Demons and devils have appeared for unknown reasons and are going for the arc walkers.

A raid of arc walkers and riders are doing battle with dark figures in the skies above a major city.

Andion Isurand
2010-08-20, 12:30 AM
Holy Solars? ...Where's the Galaxars already?

Latronis
2010-08-20, 12:37 AM
a wolf with dragon claws and a beaver tail arccing through the heavens leaving rainbow trailing behind it?

that kinda invokes an image that's a little bit silly personally.

Temotei
2010-08-20, 12:06 PM
a wolf with dragon claws and a beaver tail arccing through the heavens leaving rainbow trailing behind it?

that kinda invokes an image that's a little bit silly personally.

Heck yes. :smallamused:

Morph Bark
2010-08-20, 12:31 PM
Why aren't the acid and electricity results of the breath weapon's random 1d8 roll the same as with the prismatic spells (40 acid, 80 electricity)?

And why does its tail slap not leave rainbow-coloured markings on those it hits? :smallamused:

Temotei
2010-08-20, 12:40 PM
Why aren't the acid and electricity results of the breath weapon's random 1d8 roll the same as with the prismatic spells (40 acid, 80 electricity)?

I'm not sure what my reasoning was on that. Perhaps because the damage is additional, not flat? Whatever. I might change that.

And why does its tail slap not leave rainbow-coloured markings on those it hits? :smallamused:

:smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Added paragraph to creature of rainbows. It has mechanics, too! :smallamused:

Latronis
2010-08-20, 04:34 PM
wait if the rainbow is an anti-evil thingie, and it leaves rainbow marks with attacks shouldn't be especially harmful to evil\undead etc? Even if it's just allowing good aligned non-undead a saving throw to avoid the blindness?

Temotei
2010-08-20, 05:39 PM
wait if the rainbow is an anti-evil thingie, and it leaves rainbow marks with attacks shouldn't be especially harmful to evil\undead etc? Even if it's just allowing good aligned non-undead a saving throw to avoid the blindness?

That's a good point. I'll work on that.

Debihuman
2010-08-26, 03:08 PM
16 HD creature should have 6 feats plus any bonus feats. It either doesn't have any bonus feats or you need to add 2 regular feats to get the proper number.

Debby

jiriku
2010-08-26, 03:45 PM
Damage for the attacks should be:
Bite 4d6+12
Tail 2d8+6
Claws 2d8+6

Without more comprehensive spellcasting abilities, I don't think its abilities justify having a CR higher than its Hit Dice. In particular, its hit points, attack bonus, damage output, and saves are somewhat low for its CR and intended role as a battle mount. I'd recommend that you add 4-6 more Hit Dice and built an assumed -2 or -3 power attack into the stats. This would have the double purpose of giving it better mechanics for its CR and also moving it outside the range of what can be summoned with greater planar ally and greater planar binding (so you avoid the specter of a player trying to ride one of these monstrosities into battle).

Temotei
2010-08-26, 06:22 PM
16 HD creature should have 6 feats plus any bonus feats. It either doesn't have any bonus feats or you need to add 2 regular feats to get the proper number.

Whoops. I changed the Hit Dice massively at one point, so I must have missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Damage for the attacks should be:
Bite 4d6+12
Tail 2d8+6
Claws 2d8+6

I have no idea how I got my damage calculations (claws are right, at least). I'll fix that.

Without more comprehensive spellcasting abilities, I don't think its abilities justify having a CR higher than its Hit Dice. In particular, its hit points, attack bonus, damage output, and saves are somewhat low for its CR and intended role as a battle mount. I'd recommend that you add 4-6 more Hit Dice and built an assumed -2 or -3 power attack into the stats. This would have the double purpose of giving it better mechanics for its CR and also moving it outside the range of what can be summoned with greater planar ally and greater planar binding (so you avoid the specter of a player trying to ride one of these monstrosities into battle).

Makes sense to me, except I'm going to leave out the assumed Power Attack use.

Big changes have been made, including a bit HD increase, some ability increases, Charisma modifier to attacks and damage, an increase in breath weapon damage, and a lot more spell power.

I increased the CR to 19, but I'm not sure that's spot on, so I'd appreciate help with that.

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-27, 09:17 AM
OHMYGODITSARAINBOWBEAVERWOLFIWANTONE!!!

Ahem, excuse my outburst....:smallredface:

Sadly I have nothing to add coz I'm terible at that kind of thing, just wanted you to know your insane creation had a fan (one of these is definitely goin. In my Pokemon d20 game, I'll lower the Hit Dice a bit and see if they can catch it :smallbiggrin:)

jiriku
2010-08-27, 11:06 AM
Correct damage for a creature with that Strength score would be:

bite 4d6+16
tail slap 2d8+8 (or 2d8+24 if using dragon tail slap rules)
claws 2d8+8

Its attack bonus is now rather too high for its CR, while its hp, damage output, and saves are considerably low for a CR 19 melee beastie. Remember that a CR +2 increase means doubling the threat level, so by bumping it from CR 17 to CR 19, you've raised the bar dramatically.

You need to specify which SLA was selected for its Quicken SLA feat. I'd recommend that you quicken heal, as that's both the highest-level SLA you can quicken and one of the most relevant in a fight.

Temotei
2010-08-27, 12:07 PM
OHMYGODITSARAINBOWBEAVERWOLFIWANTONE!!!

Ahem, excuse my outburst....:smallredface:

Sadly I have nothing to add coz I'm terible at that kind of thing, just wanted you to know your insane creation had a fan (one of these is definitely goin. In my Pokemon d20 game, I'll lower the Hit Dice a bit and see if they can catch it :smallbiggrin:)

Awesome. :smallcool:

Correct damage for a creature with that Strength score would be:

bite 4d6+16
tail slap 2d8+8 (or 2d8+24 if using dragon tail slap rules)
claws 2d8+8

It gets Charisma to damage now.

Its attack bonus is now rather too high for its CR, while its hp, damage output, and saves are considerably low for a CR 19 melee beastie. Remember that a CR +2 increase means doubling the threat level, so by bumping it from CR 17 to CR 19, you've raised the bar dramatically.

I'll take off the Charisma bonus to attacks, but leave it for damage. Any suggestions for raising saves? Just raise ability scores?

You need to specify which SLA was selected for its Quicken SLA feat. I'd recommend that you quicken heal, as that's both the highest-level SLA you can quicken and one of the most relevant in a fight.

Oops. That was added as an afterthought, so I forgot. Good idea.

EDIT: Added some Wisdom and Constitution, which raised Will and Constitution saves, as well as some skills and its hit points. I also took away its Charisma modifier to attacks, which leaves its attacks at +34 each.

jiriku
2010-08-27, 05:52 PM
Oh! Missed the Charisma thing, sorry.

It's pretty solid now, but...mmm...the stats have been made unusually high in an effort to pump their dependent abilities. I mean, how do you even begin to properly roleplay something with a 29 Wisdom and 32 Charisma? I'd say bring Strength, Con, Wis, and Cha down by 6-10 points each and increase Hit Dice by a like amount (leaving CR unchanged). Let the Hit Dice do the heavy lifting for you. As an added benefit, you'll get more skill points and hit points, both of which are a tad low, and some more feats you can use to add an interesting trick or two (such as a potent martial maneuver and a martial stance, perhaps from the Devoted Spirit discipline).

Temotei
2010-08-28, 02:23 PM
Edited to include lower ability scores, more hit dice, three Martial Study feats, and one Martial Stance feat. Damage is slightly lower because of lower Strength, but the maneuvers and other abilities should make up for that.

Debihuman
2010-08-30, 10:51 AM
It has a lot of bonus feats. Maybe you should give it an extra hit die and lower the number of bonus feats. Generally, a monster shouldn't have more than 2 bonus feats. It's more a matter of good balance for creatures. I'm not even familiar with most of the feats you gave it. What book(s) are the non-SRD feats from? They aren't open content.

Can these speak? What languages?

Debby

Kobold-Bard
2010-08-30, 11:06 AM

Debby

Tongues affected Telepathy. So all of them.

Temotei
2010-08-30, 03:46 PM
It has a lot of bonus feats. Maybe you should give it an extra hit die and lower the number of bonus feats. Generally, a monster shouldn't have more than 2 bonus feats. It's more a matter of good balance for creatures. I'm not even familiar with most of the feats you gave it. What book(s) are the non-SRD feats from? They aren't open content.

Debby

Only the "Martial" feats aren't on the SRD (they're from Tome of Battle). Honestly, I might just get rid of those.

Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineAbilitiesFeats.htm#knockDown) and here (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/monsterFeats.htm).

Morph Bark
2010-08-31, 07:24 AM
Rather than add Charisma to all damage, you could make all of its attacks automatically Smite Evil, so that only goes against Evil creatures and it would get its HD to attack rolls against Evil creatures. Just a thought.

Temotei
2010-08-31, 01:03 PM
Rather than add Charisma to all damage, you could make all of its attacks automatically Smite Evil, so that only goes against Evil creatures and it would get its HD to attack rolls against Evil creatures. Just a thought.

That's not a bad idea, actually.