PDA

View Full Version : Storm and Lightning-themed spells for Druids? (3.5)

Kalim
2010-08-20, 12:49 AM
Hi all! I've browsed around here for a while, but finally decided to register and participate. :smallbiggrin:

Anyways, my question is for a character concept I've been working out. It would be a Druid base with the monk/ranger ACFs, that would be molded into a Stormlord.

Druids seemed to have the nicer amount of stormy spells compared to Cleric, shy of Domain boosts, but I was still wondering if there were more spells I was missing (Maybe from books I'm not familiar with?), or if there were feats, items, or other ways to add more spells to his list, particularly Chain Lightning.

Storm spells, like Ice Storm and such, are also okay, since a Stormlord's control of weather would probably extend to other phenomena.

Sinfonian
2010-08-20, 01:02 AM
Just off the top of my head, you have (with their druid spell levels):

Call Lightning, 3

Ice Storm, 4

Call Lightning Storm, 5

Fire Storm, 7 (not really fitting the theme, but it's got it in the name)

Storm of Vengeance, 9

Edit: And as a magic item that adds to the theme: Rod of Thunder and Lightning.

Demons_eye
2010-08-20, 01:07 AM
With Energy Substitution and Spell Thematics (if your DM does not allow you to refluff at will) you can turn any spell that deals energy damage to storm spells. Refluff Produce Flame as electricity that you throw at people.

Kalim
2010-08-20, 01:15 AM
Spell Thematics seems to be for only arcane casters, sadly; otherwise, I do admire the idea.

Druids have quite a few lightning, wind, and storm spells available, looking at some of these lists. I was mostly wondering if there were ways to get access to more, like Lightning Bolt or Chain Lightning, or other spells that would fit into the theme.

Items, especially, would be nice ways to do so, since Stormlord eats up a handful of feats for junk.

Roc Ness
2010-08-20, 03:22 AM
Whirlwind (8th)
Greater Whirlwind (9th, SC)
Stormrage (8th, SC)

Teron
2010-08-20, 03:34 AM
There's a storm druid variant in some issue of Dragon (I don't have much time at the moment, but I'm sure you can google it) that can spontaneously cast some thematically appropriate spells -- including chain lightning, if memory serves -- instead of summon nature's ally spells. Unfortunately, it's pretty underwhelming compared to a normal druid, giving up wildshape and possibly the animal companion for little of value. But it's an option (and still a full caster, so not exactly worthless).

Greenish
2010-08-20, 06:30 AM
Thunderhead.

mint
2010-08-20, 07:56 AM
Druid Domains from Unearthed Arcana. One of the selectable domains is Air. Air Domain gets you chain lightning as a sixth level spell.

Further, Cloudburst, a level 1 spell from SpC (i think), makes the outdoors count as stormy for call lightning shenanigans.

Arc of lightning, lvl4, SpC

Storm Tower, lvl 7, SpC

And lastly, Storm Elementals from MM3 (i think), summon with a big boom.

Leon
2010-08-20, 09:15 AM
There's a storm druid variant in some issue of Dragon (I don't have much time at the moment, but I'm sure you can google it) that can spontaneously cast some thematically appropriate spells -- including chain lightning, if memory serves -- instead of summon nature's ally spells. Unfortunately, it's pretty underwhelming compared to a normal druid, giving up wildshape and possibly the animal companion for little of value. But it's an option (and still a full caster, so not exactly worthless).

If your going to focus on being a Stormcaller type then not being a bear all day is not much of a loss and the OP mentioned that they were using the Hunter Variant which removes that class feature for a dabble in Ranger and Monk features.

The Dragon Issue is 328 (Rundown of the changes can be Found in the Crystal Keep base class document)

Stormbolt Reserve Spell feat - A Lightning Bolt at your command as long as you keep a Lightning spell in a slot for Xd6 per highest Lighting Spell level

Kalim
2010-08-20, 11:38 AM
If your going to focus on being a Stormcaller type then not being a bear all day is not much of a loss and the OP mentioned that they were using the Hunter Variant which removes that class feature for a dabble in Ranger and Monk features.

The Dragon Issue is 328 (Rundown of the changes can be Found in the Crystal Keep base class document)

Stormbolt Reserve Spell feat - A Lightning Bolt at your command as long as you keep a Lightning spell in a slot for Xd6 per highest Lighting Spell level

He's correct, I was going to drop Wildshaping anyways, it's not quite thematic to the character I'm building if he has to rely on being another creature most of the time. I mainly picked Druid as a base because of their rich assortment of stormy spells. :)

Druid Domains from Unearthed Arcana. One of the selectable domains is Air. Air Domain gets you chain lightning as a sixth level spell.

What do I trade for Druid Domains? Animal Companion?

Greenish
2010-08-20, 11:45 AM
What do I trade for Druid Domains? Animal Companion?If I recall it correctly, there was a box from one of the designers telling that he usually just gave druids a domain from the thematic list for no real reason as a houserule.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-08-20, 11:46 AM
Born of Three Thunders metamagic feat might be an interesting choice. I know it's not a spell, but that's really all I've got to offer personally. From Complete Arcane, takes a Lightning or Sonic spell, changes it to half of each, and adds a stunning and prone-knocking effect.

Kalim
2010-08-20, 11:53 AM
Born of Three Thunders metamagic feat might be an interesting choice. I know it's not a spell, but that's really all I've got to offer personally. From Complete Arcane, takes a Lightning or Sonic spell, changes it to half of each, and adds a stunning and prone-knocking effect.

I was looking at that feat, yeah. :)

It's a shame I have to waste three to qualify, but hopefully I'll still be able to grab things like Storm Magic or Born of Three Thunders.

If I recall it correctly, there was a box from one of the designers telling that he usually just gave druids a domain from the thematic list for no real reason as a houserule.

Ahh, okay. I'd probably have to talk to my DM about it. The animal companion is less thematic, so I'd probably trade it for Air Domain if he wanted. Otherwise I'll just pick something to pal around with my Stormlord. He won't scale very well anyways because of how few Druid levels I'd be taking until I finished my Stormlord levels. (This is the other reason I don't feel bad trading out Wildshape.)

jiriku
2010-08-20, 12:24 PM
I made a 20-level version of the storm lord with all manner of stormy powers. It's not a druid, and it's not divine, but if you'd like it tweaked I'd be happy to draft a variant adapted to your needs. I think you'll especially like the spell list. Click the link in my sig to have a look.

Kalim
2010-08-20, 03:05 PM
I made a 20-level version of the storm lord with all manner of stormy powers. It's not a druid, and it's not divine, but if you'd like it tweaked I'd be happy to draft a variant adapted to your needs. I think you'll especially like the spell list. Click the link in my sig to have a look.

I took a look at your homebrew; it's functional, but I don't quite like the flavor as an arcane class, though it gave me some things to think about.

I admire too much the divine omen that would start my Druid on a more dedicated path, the lightning strike required for Stormlord. :smallsmile:

Kalim
2010-08-20, 10:19 PM
Any more helpful input on this would be welcome.