PDA

View Full Version : Fixer (3.5 PEACH) Unarmed Assassin

zenanarchist
2010-08-20, 03:59 AM
Fixer

http://poopsock.org/wp-content/uploads/characters/CanthanAssassin01.jpg

Before you stands a young man, his posture confident- almost arrogant, his eyes knowledgeable despite his youth, no hint of emotion in his eyes. "Understand the paths you have taken to lead you to this place." You turn to run but as you do the young man is in front of you again. "Understand the wrong turns you have made in err to lead you to this destination." His voice is still without malice, still without emotion. Suddenly, you are hit twice in the face and you feel a weight lift you and carry you twenty feet before slamming you into the ground, however before you can move the youth is on you, using your chest as leverage to leap into the air what seems to be thirty feet or more.

Silence...You struggle to your feet and look around, but all you see is scrub and the side of the building you ran behind to gain cover. Then, as if on a breeze the youths voice seems to come from a hundred miles away. "Understand, I am ghost, I am mist, I am silent creeping death. Understand, that the problems you have caused must be fixed."

"Please, please I'll do anything."

Three gusts of wind in quick succession blast past your face, you see nothing, you spin and turn but still see nothing.

"I am swift death, the god hunter."

Suddenly the pain registers, the cuts to your neck start to bleed, your intestines begin to slip from your body. However before you slide to the ground five arrows fly from the dark and slam into your corpse. Pinning you to the wall of the cottage.

"Understand, I am fate, I am finality. I am contained godly rage. This life no longer belongs to you, your soul is mine."

As blood seeps into your eyes, you try to see the killers face, but his face seems shrouded in mist, in shadow...

"Gods save me" you claim, the life force slipping out of you.

"If I am paid enough, even the gods shall not be your salvation"

Fixers as characters:

Fixers adventure for the sole reason that they are being paid to do so. They are mercenaries, assassins, warriors of the coin. They will travel with anyone of any race or temperament so long as the coin is right and the payment fair. However, they get along better with other warriors or soldiers and spend little to no time conversing with those that practice divine or arcane magic. Fixers are paid to solve problems, hence the name Fixer. They are highly paid highly dangerous mercenaries. They will go to any lengths to ensure their job is completed. They are not necessarily evil, sometimes good causes need evil obstacles removed. Their desire for money is irrelevant to their morale compass.

In a party:

Fixers are hired to obtain an object and will usually not go out of their way to protect any one member of the party unless they’ve somehow developed a personal attachment (unlikely). However if they are paid to be a body guard they will happily risk their own life to enter the fray to save their companion.

The code of the Fixer:

One will never strike a fallen foe.
One will never dishonor ones self with taunts or jibes.
One will never strike an innocent.
One will never strike an unarmed foe unless said foe proves a lethal danger.
One will never strike a surrendered foe.
One will never be seen, where possible.
One will be like ghost, like mist, like nothing.

Class Features

Fixer
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special

1st|+1|+1|+2|+0|Martial Arts, Death's Grace

2nd|+2|+1|+3|+0|Hidden Death

3rd|+3|+2|+3|+1|Counter Strike, Unknown Foe

4th|+4|+2|+4|+1|Evasion, Focus Points

5th|+5|+3|+4|+1|Martial Arts

6th|+6/+1|+3|+5|+2|Swift Death

7th|+7/+2|+3|+5|+2|Perfect Strike

8th|+8/+3|+4|+6|+2|Force Bow

9th|+9/+4|+4|+6|+3|Martial Arts

10th|+10/+5|+5|+7|+3|Force Blow

11th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+7|+3|Godly Metabolism

12th|+12/+7/+2|+6|+8|+4|All Body Strike

13th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+8|+4|Improved Evasion

14th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+9|+4|Martial Arts

15th|+15/+10/+5|+7|+9|+5|Infinite Step

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|+7|+10|+5|Shadow Step

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|+8|+10|+5|Martial Arts

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|+8|+11|+6|Deflection

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|+8|+11|+6|Death Strike

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|+9|+12|+6|Divine Assassin

[/table]
Alignment: Any neutral or evil

Hit Die: d10

The fixer’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), and Tumble (Dex).

Class Skills:

Skill Points at 1st Level: (4 + Int modifier) × 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Martial Arts (Ex)

As the fixer grows in levels he attains a number of martial arts techniques and abilities. At first his martial arts grant him the feat Improved Unarmed Strike, as well as the ability to gain extra damage from a propelled strike. That is, any time the fixer gains leverage by, for example, bouncing off a wall before striking, he gains an extra 1d6 damage per ten feet travelled. At this level his bare fists deal 1d6 damage plus any strength bonus the fixer may have. Unlike a monk, the fixer may take the feats two weapon fighting and Improved Two weapon fighting and apply the benefits to his unarmed attacks. Fists cause a critical on a 20 and are considered natural weapons, however the fixer still gains iterative attacks and may also take all feats related to unarmed attacks or manufactured weapons and apply them to their unarmed strikes.

Death’s Grace (Ex)

The fixer moves at exceptional speeds to chase his quarry, for every fourth level the fixer possesses he gains an extra 10ft to his base land speed so long as he wears only medium or light armor. This ability starts at first level and grows every four levels from there to cap at +60ft at twentieth level.

Hidden Death (Ex)

The fixer stalks from shadow to shadow, unseen as he slays his foe, moving as if mist in the wind he dances in darkness, unheard and unknown, then he strikes. This ability grants the Fixer acquires sneak attack as the rogue, which grows by +1d6 every second level after a character's second level in fixer.

Counter Strike (Ex)

The fixer is a master of the martial arts; his hands are fluid in movement, his steps graceful. He moves as if he is the wind incarnate and strikes as lightning after the thunder. If the fixer has travelled no more than ten feet in the round he is attacked and his opponent strikes his body, the fixer rolls with the blow, taking the damage and using it to fuel the power of his next strike. The fixer immediately gains one attack at his highest base attack bonus. At tenth level a fixer may counter strike even when his opponent strikes and misses. At fifteenth level he gains an extra attack at his highest base attack bonus.

Unknown Foe (Ex)

Fixers are masters of disguise, adepts at moving in and out of a location at will by impersonation or deceit. The fixer gains +5 on all disguise checks, +10 at tenth level.

Evasion (Ex)

At 4th level or higher if a fixer makes a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, she instead takes no damage. Evasion can be used only if a fixer is wearing medium, light or no armour. A helpless fixer does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Focus Points (Ex)

At fourth level the fixer gains a pool of points equal to his class level plus his dexterity and strength modifier combined. This pool of points may be used to boost the fixers attacks or defense against one opponent per round. The use of these points must be declared before any rolls are made. The fixer may never use more than half of these points to boost any roll. He may only boost his attack and defense, never damage or saving throws. These points may be regained after one round of intense focus wherein the fixer may take no other actions, if he receives damage in this round the points are not regained.

Martial arts (Ex)

The Fixers martial arts mastery is improving; at this level his unarmed attacks deal 1d8 damage and he gains the ability to block with any part of his body. His knowledge of martial combat dramatically improves and he now gains an AC dodge bonus equivalent to his dexterity modifier. This stacks with the armor class bonus already provided by dexterity. The fixer now causes a critical on a 19-20.

Swift Death (Ex)

The fixer is a hunter. Fast, agile, deadly. Their speed carries them past their foe as if carried on the wind as their hands strike out. As long as the fixer travels more than twenty feet before attacking and ten feet after, they deal an extra 1d6 sudden strike damage per every five levels they possess, retroactively starting at level 1.

Perfect Strike (Ex)

The fixer can sneak attack his enemies with perfect precision, striking so fast, so straight that the individuals nerve endings are not given time to recognise they’ve been hit. Whenever the fixer would deal sneak attack or sudden strike damage to an enemy, he may choose to forgo as many d6's of damage as he desires. For every d6 of damage forgone this way, that enemy takes 1d10 damage in the round immediately following the round in which the attack was made.

Force Bow (Su)

The fixer has gained access to powers beyond mortal ken. He may summon a bow of pure force, which glows with a blue hue. This bow is manifested to the fixer’s hand as a swift action and arrows manifest whenever the string is drawn. This weapon deals 2d6 damage, has a range increment of 150ft and causes a critical wound on 19-20 with a multiplier of x2. This weapon causes the wielder to act as if they had the entire archery feat tree; however, this only applies to the force bow and when the bow is in hand.

Martial Arts (Ex)

The fixers fists now deal 1d10 damage and are considered +3 weapons for all purposes. The fixer may now choose to deal slashing damage instead of bludgeoning with his unarmed attacks. Additionally, any time he makes a successful grapple check he may now choose to throw the grappled enemy 10 feet per every three levels of fixer he has. Also, any time he successfully avoids a trip or bull rush attempt, he gains a free trip attempt at the same foe. Finally, he may enchant or imbue his fists as if they manufactured weapons.

Force Blow (Ex)

The fixer has mastered the art of striking. He strikes with such force that the effect can be felt many feet away from the blow itself. The fixer’s strikes now have a range increment of 10 feet per every fifth level he possesses. The fixers blows, both ranged and melee may now ignore the miss chance incurred by striking at an incorporeal foe.

Godly Metabolism (Ex)

Years of honing the fixers body has entitled him to a divine metabolism that easily shrugs off disease and poison and, unlike other athletes, spells. The fixers body is in a permanent state of overdrive and works off all effects at the instant they take place. He gains +10 to all checks against poison and disease and also gains Spell Resistance 10+Class level.

All body Strike (Ex)

The fixer strikes with his knees, elbows, fists, feet and heads in a striking fast display of movement and deadliness. Most foes are often left staggered or stunned, unable to act. The fixer may make one extra attack at his highest base attack bonus. He must use the full attack option while using this ability. This is similar to a monks flurry of blows, however if more than three attacks strike the same foe in a round that foe is stunned for one round. These attacks include counter strikes. The victim of such a strike is allowed a fortitude saving throw to avoid the stunning (DC10+1/2 fixer levels+Strength)

Improved Evasion (Ex)

At 12th level, a fixer’s evasion ability improves. He still takes no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but henceforth she takes only half damage on a failed save. A helpless fixer does not gain the benefit of improved evasion.

Martial Arts (Ex)

The fixers strikes now deal 2d6 damage and are considered +4 enchanted weapons for all purposes and additionally are treated as having the adamantine property for purposes of overcoming damage reduction. A fixer of this level may now choose to bound off spaces or gain extra length to his jumps. If the fixer is of 10th level and above he may leap 10ft between walls as many times as he wishes so long as the distance travelled does not exceed his base land speed. At fifteenth level the fixer may now leap 20ft between walls. The fixer may leap twenty additional feet on all regular standing or running jumps. For purposes of rules determination, standing enemies may be treated as walls.

Infinite Step (Su)

The fixer’s mastery over his speed is displayed in earnest when he is able to move long distances in but the blink of an eye. The fixer may Dimension Door, as per the spell at will. They may do this up to a distance of eighty feet and utilise it as a move action. At fifteenth level this becomes a swift action.

Shadow Step (Ex)

The fixer is fast, so fast that his movements are impossible to follow. He disappears even as his enemy watches helplessly. On a move action in a darkened area or an area with prominent shadows (Buildings or trees), the fixer may choose to hide in plain sight, albeit at a -2 penalty. He may do this after striking an enemy but takes a -4 penalty.

Martial Arts (Ex)

The fixers unarmed strikes now deal 3d6 damage on a successful strike and are treated as +5 enchanted weapons as well as having the adamantine and silver properties. The fixer now also gains the ability to block a martial attack and completely negate damage. They may choose to initiate a block on any round where the enemy makes a successful attack, before damage is determined. The fixer and his opponent make opposed dexterity checks and if the fixer is successful the damage is completely negated.

Deflection (Ex)

The fixer uses the force of his blows to deflect incoming projectiles of any size up to a weight of 150Ibs. Whenever the fixer is aware of a projectile and is not flat footed, he may deflect the attack twice per round.

Death Strike (Ex)

Any time the fixer studies a subject for up to two rounds, his next attack, be it ranged or melee, on that victim has a chance to cause instant death. The victim is allowed a Fortitude save DC10+1/2 fixer level+Dex modifier. Unlike the assassins ability, this strike may affect constructs and undead. If it is a construct this shows that the fixer has found a mechanical strong point. If it is an undead this shows that the fixer has located a weak point in what is remaining of the body structure.

Divine Assassin (Ex)

At 20th level, a fixer becomes a magical creature. She is forevermore treated as an outsider rather than as a humanoid (or whatever the fixer’s creature type was) for the purpose of spells and magical effects. Additionally, the fixer gains damage reduction 15/magic, which allows her to ignore the first 15 points of damage from any attack made by a nonmagical weapon or by any natural attack made by a creature that doesn’t have similar damage reduction. Unlike other outsiders, the fixer can still be brought back from the dead as if she were a member of her previous creature type. Additionally any time the fixer uses shadow strike to move, they gain one attack at their highest base attack bonus so long as they end their movement adjacent to an enemy. Finally, their base land speed becomes 70ft and they gain the ability to “step” on air. They begin to fall at the end of their movement phase, however they may “step” their way down at a rate of 10ft per round. This ability completely negates the effects of falling damage.

Author Note: I'm trying to figure out where to add in two martial maneuver progressions, while still keeping the other class abilities of the fixer. Now that I look at it...this class is almost identical to the monk. Barring the bow and the actual martial arts abilities anyhow. *shrugs* Any way, suggestions on inserting martial maneuvers in here somewhere would be greatly appreciated. I think Steel Serpent or Dancing Leaf as suggested by Temotei. Anyway, critique away.

Kurtmuran
2010-08-21, 01:23 AM
too interesant i want to experiment whit this class in my dungeon

zenanarchist
2010-08-21, 02:50 AM
too interesant i want to experiment whit this class in my dungeon

Glad you liked it Kurtmuran! Hope your experiments go well!

Dencero
2010-08-21, 09:23 PM
Meet Joe Fixer. He fixes problems. Problems related to punching.

"THIS SIDE-TABLE DOES NOT COMPLIMENT THE DECOR!" *PUNCH*

Now that that's out of the way, I do like this class. I might know a few players of mine who might be interested in trying it out.

zenanarchist
2010-08-21, 09:29 PM
Meet Joe Fixer. He fixes problems. Problems related to punching.

"THIS SIDE-TABLE DOES NOT COMPLIMENT THE DECOR!" *PUNCH*

Now that that's out of the way, I do like this class. I might know a few players of mine who might be interested in trying it out.

....Bahaha I like that. Well done.

Stoked you like the class. Keep an eye out for me changing around the martial arts ability to give them greater versatility.

Kensen
2010-08-22, 02:32 AM
Looks like a fun class to play. :smallsmile:

A few things I'd like to comment on / ask about, though:

* The name of the class, I think, is not quite appropriate in a fantasy setting. It sound more like a D20 Modern class if you know what I mean.
* The Fort save progression is non-standard. Not saying that it's a bad thing as such, but it just doesn't conform with official classes.
* Does the alignment requirement (any neutral) mean that you have on have at least one neutral component (on either axis) in your alignment? Or any non-good & non-evil?
* Monks actually can take TWF feats, but usually it's not a good idea.
* Dex to AC may be a bit too good since the ability has no armor restriction. Nothing says they can't use shields either, so you can get a pretty obscene AC with little optimization.
* Is the Fixers' Code there just as fluff or do you lose your class abilities or something if you attack a surrendered foe, for example?
* On a related note, the Fixer you introduce in the first part of your post seems to kill a surrendered (and possibly unarmed?) foe. Having such a limitation would severely hamper the Fixer's ability to finish the job. Moreover, if Fixers are in it just for the money, why would they care?
* Official base classes only get one type of bonus damage, and all of those classes have medium BAB. The class gets three kinds of bonus damage: propelled strike, sneak attack and skirmish (though it's called sudden strike). That's a bit too much, especially if you're planning to also give them ToB maneuvers.

Anyway, with a few fixes (pun intended) the class will be all kinds of awesome. :smallwink:

zenanarchist
2010-08-22, 03:20 AM
Looks like a fun class to play. :smallsmile:

A few things I'd like to comment on / ask about, though:

Looking forward to them!

* The name of the class, I think, is not quite appropriate in a fantasy setting. It sound more like a D20 Modern class if you know what I mean.

Fair point...Suggestions?

* The Fort save progression is non-standard. Not saying that it's a bad thing as such, but it just doesn't conform with official classes.

I use a website to do the mock up of the tables and saves as well as BAB...I wasn't even aware it differed...What's the prob I'm not seeing? :smallredface:

* Does the alignment requirement (any neutral) mean that you have on have at least one neutral component (on either axis) in your alignment? Or any non-good & non-evil?

At least one neutral component, should I state this?

* Monks actually can take TWF feats, but usually it's not a good idea.
Oh? I didn't think two weapon fighting applied to unarmed attacks? At least this class is full BAB...

* Dex to AC may be a bit too good since the ability has no armor restriction. Nothing says they can't use shields either, so you can get a pretty obscene AC with little optimization.
Agreed, but this class shines when they use ALL their attacks as that sets off their stunning strike...using a shield would be slightly sub optimal. I don't want to do Wis to AC as this class is fast and strong, not necessarily wise.

* Is the Fixers' Code there just as fluff or do you lose your class abilities or something if you attack a surrendered foe, for example?
Fluff my friend. Just fluff. Feel free to use it as a code though.

* On a related note, the Fixer you introduce in the first part of your post seems to kill a surrendered (and possibly unarmed?) foe. Having such a limitation would severely hamper the Fixer's ability to finish the job. Moreover, if Fixers are in it just for the money, why would they care?

Imagine that that man had killed a family of innocents. If this were the case, unarmed or not he is a dangerous lethal and evil foe who must be vanquished.
The Fixer is not a paladin. The code is a guideline. The code and it's writers expect you to be smart, not lawful stupid. :smallwink: Also, it's typically the employer of the Fixer who cares about the code...Say if they don't want the warlords staff killed or some such. So...let's keep it that the code is a guideline, not a straightforward don't do this. Remember, not a paladin.

* Official base classes only get one type of bonus damage, and all of those classes have medium BAB. The class gets three kinds of bonus damage: propelled strike, sneak attack and skirmish (though it's called sudden strike). That's a bit too much, especially if you're planning to also give them ToB maneuvers.

Yep, sexy ain't it? *grin* Consider that this class is good at one thing, killing. That's all they do. They can't pick locks, they get no spells, they can't fly, they aren't particularly good at social encounters, they're flat out killers. Seem fair now...or...still OP? Hope not. As...can you imagine? A killer flies from the dark, invisible, fast and strikes and gains sneak and swift damage and disappears from sight again....Phwoar....

Anyway, with a few fixes (pun intended) the class will be all kinds of awesome. :smallwink:

I'm glad it'll be awesome with fixes...Give me some suggestions? Apart from the Saves which are off... I do love this class. I'm playtesting it shortly.

drakir_nosslin
2010-08-22, 05:57 AM
The thing with the fort save is that there isn't anything like medium saves, you either have good or bad ones. I'd say that the fort should look like the will save for a class like this.

zenanarchist
2010-08-22, 04:58 PM
The thing with the fort save is that there isn't anything like medium saves, you either have good or bad ones. I'd say that the fort should look like the will save for a class like this.

Ahhh okay. Is it mechanically broken this way though or does it just differ from the norm?

Sindri
2010-08-22, 07:44 PM
One issue I see is that you've defined their punches as natural weapons; this means that they can increase damage with Improved Natural Weapon, and things like that, but they no longer get iterative attacks. Also, TWF doesn't work with natural weapons. This means that the fixer will receive one and only one attack each round, unless they're Hasted or something. When combined with mobility based tactics and/or ToB maneuvers this could work, but I doubt that your intention was to make them only able to hit once per six seconds, what with their portrayal as a high-speed rending combatant and the fluff writing including several rapid strikes.
If you simply remove that line and leave them as unarmed strikes, there is very little lost functionality (mainly just feats specific to natural weapons, and most of those require more than one) and you regain iterative attacks.

Incidentally, saves are generally level/3 for weak saves and (level/2)+2 for strong ones.

zenanarchist
2010-08-23, 03:49 AM
One issue I see is that you've defined their punches as natural weapons; this means that they can increase damage with Improved Natural Weapon, and things like that, but they no longer get iterative attacks. Also, TWF doesn't work with natural weapons. This means that the fixer will receive one and only one attack each round, unless they're Hasted or something. When combined with mobility based tactics and/or ToB maneuvers this could work, but I doubt that your intention was to make them only able to hit once per six seconds, what with their portrayal as a high-speed rending combatant and the fluff writing including several rapid strikes.
If you simply remove that line and leave them as unarmed strikes, there is very little lost functionality (mainly just feats specific to natural weapons, and most of those require more than one) and you regain iterative attacks.

Incidentally, saves are generally level/3 for weak saves and (level/2)+2 for strong ones.

I think I fixed it. Made them natural weapons still so they can increase the damage, but also gave them iterative attacks.....Balance? :smallsmile:

imp_fireball
2010-08-26, 05:58 PM
The flavor of this seems to demand a restriction of neutral or evil in alignment. Unless it states that a fixer can be altruistic without the need for money.

I like how it suggests that evil can work with good though, without any of the feeling of 'hardcore/darker and edgier 90s anti-hero'.

Whenever the fixer would deal sneak attack or sudden strike damage to an enemy.

Should state 'whenever the fixer would deal sneak attack or other similar precision damage to the enemy'. I'm assuming 'skirmish' follows the same rules as sneak attack.

For every d6 of damage forgone this way, that enemy takes 1d10 damage in the next round.

Should be 'in the round immediately following the round in which the attack was made'. Leave it to GMs to work out whatever would happen if combat ended prior to the following round (say the enemy teleported away; they might die right afterwards, but it's really at GM discretion).

but they no longer get iterative attacks.

Really? I thought iterative attacks came with BAB regardless. They get iterative attacks with any weapon that they use at full bab (people often use manufactured weapons at full bab or their 'main attack' however, which could be the confusion) - I thought that was the ruling.

The fixers blows, both ranged and melee may now deal damage to incorporeal creatures.

Nit pick: 'now ignore the miss chance when rolling successful attacks against incorporeal creatures'. Incorporeal creatures can still be damaged by anyone, but there's usually a 50% miss chance applied before damage would normally be rolled.

This ability grants the Fixer the option to deal extra sneak attack damage any time his foe is denied their dexterity bonus or caught flat footed. This extra damage grows by +1d6 for every second level the fixer possesses starting at level two.

You should probably just say that the fixer 'acquires sneak attack as the rogue, which grows by +1d6 every second level after a character's second level in fixer'.

'Sneak attack damage' and the class feature 'sneak attack' could be interpreted differently. I know it's common sense, but it's another nitpick - just for the sake of professionalism y'know?

I don't really know what type of damage sneak attack actually does - I'm assuming it's just bonus mundane damage dealt by the weapon used, which ignores damage reduction if the original attack made it through the damage reduction with enough damage, or was of the appropriate type to bypass the DR.

Either that or it's untyped - then again untyped damage is rather unique, usually from something like 'sphere of annihilation' perhaps. I haven't read enough RAW though.

The fixers fists now deal 1d10 damage and are considered +3 enchanted weapons for all purposes.

You shouldn't include the word 'enchanted' since it doesn't really have any meaning in D&D (I don't think), except maybe when an artificer or wizard with the appropriate feat or GM discretion (if the latter two even exist in the books) imbues a weapon, armor or item to make magical or have better magic.

I'll assume you want the +3 to be an 'enhancement bonus'. Enhancement bonuses stack most of the time, I think. Which is alright. You don't want a class feature to prevent someone from making their fists more powerful.

I'll also assume that you don't want the PC fixer to be able to replace their +3 fists with another magical affect equivalent to +3 or less (say, +1 and then convert the +3 into a +2). You don't have to, but you can include a note saying that if the PC wants to put actual magical affects on their fists (flaming burst, ie.) they need to spend gold or have it imbued or whatever.

If natural weapons can't be imbued or re-crafted/modified in some way, then you might want to include an exception here saying that the fixer's fists can be (because it'd really suck otherwise considering even monks can enchant their fists I believe).

zenanarchist
2010-08-27, 04:42 AM
The flavor of this seems to demand a restriction of neutral or evil in alignment. Unless it states that a fixer can be altruistic without the need for money.

I like how it suggests that evil can work with good though, without any of the feeling of 'hardcore/darker and edgier 90s anti-hero'.

Should state 'whenever the fixer would deal sneak attack or other similar precision damage to the enemy'. I'm assuming 'skirmish' follows the same rules as sneak attack.

Should be 'in the round immediately following the round in which the attack was made'. Leave it to GMs to work out whatever would happen if combat ended prior to the following round (say the enemy teleported away; they might die right afterwards, but it's really at GM discretion).

Really? I thought iterative attacks came with BAB regardless. They get iterative attacks with any weapon that they use at full bab (people often use manufactured weapons at full bab or their 'main attack' however, which could be the confusion) - I thought that was the ruling.

Nit pick: 'now ignore the miss chance when rolling successful attacks against incorporeal creatures'. Incorporeal creatures can still be damaged by anyone, but there's usually a 50% miss chance applied before damage would normally be rolled.

You should probably just say that the fixer 'acquires sneak attack as the rogue, which grows by +1d6 every second level after a character's second level in fixer'.

'Sneak attack damage' and the class feature 'sneak attack' could be interpreted differently. I know it's common sense, but it's another nitpick - just for the sake of professionalism y'know?

I don't really know what type of damage sneak attack actually does - I'm assuming it's just bonus mundane damage dealt by the weapon used, which ignores damage reduction if the original attack made it through the damage reduction with enough damage, or was of the appropriate type to bypass the DR.

Either that or it's untyped - then again untyped damage is rather unique, usually from something like 'sphere of annihilation' perhaps. I haven't read enough RAW though.

You shouldn't include the word 'enchanted' since it doesn't really have any meaning in D&D (I don't think), except maybe when an artificer or wizard with the appropriate feat or GM discretion (if the latter two even exist in the books) imbues a weapon, armor or item to make magical or have better magic.

I'll assume you want the +3 to be an 'enhancement bonus'. Enhancement bonuses stack most of the time, I think. Which is alright. You don't want a class feature to prevent someone from making their fists more powerful.

I'll also assume that you don't want the PC fixer to be able to replace their +3 fists with another magical affect equivalent to +3 or less (say, +1 and then convert the +3 into a +2). You don't have to, but you can include a note saying that if the PC wants to put actual magical affects on their fists (flaming burst, ie.) they need to spend gold or have it imbued or whatever.

If natural weapons can't be imbued or re-crafted/modified in some way, then you might want to include an exception here saying that the fixer's fists can be (because it'd really suck otherwise considering even monks can enchant their fists I believe).

Awesome review. I'll change a lot of the wording based on this. Thanks a tonne!

EDIT: Those changes are now present. Glad you mentioned the enchanting/imbuing of fists actually. Good job.

imp_fireball
2010-08-30, 05:19 PM
As the fixer grows in levels he attains a number of martial arts techniques and abilities. At first his martial arts grant him the feat Improved Unarmed Strike, as well as the ability to gain extra damage from a propelled strike. That is, any time the fixer gains leverage by, for example, bouncing off a wall before striking, he gains an extra 1d6 damage per ten feet travelled. At this level his bare fists deal 1d6 damage plus any strength bonus the fixer may have.

Unlike a monk, the fixer may take the feats two weapon fighting and Improved Two weapon fighting and apply the benefits to his unarmed attacks.

The monk can do this anyway, because their unarmed strikes count as 'light weapons' and for all intents and purposes are manufactured weapons as well (I think that's what it says).

as well as the ability to gain extra damage from a propelled strike. That is, any time the fixer gains leverage by, for example, bouncing off a wall before striking, he gains an extra 1d6 damage per ten feet travelled.

So what exactly does bouncing off a wall entail? This isn't a combat maneuver listed in the SRD. What skill does it require? What action? Is it during movement? Does it not have to be 'bouncing off a wall'? Can it also involve 'jumping down' or 'charging'?

'Per 10ft. traveled' isn't specific enough. Is it, Ie. '10ft. traveled in elevation?' or simply '10ft. traveled in either two dimensional or three dimensional directions', or is it '10ft. traveled, summed up in both elevation and two dimensional travel'? Is it '10ft. traveled in one direction, no matter what dimension' (etc.)?

Fists cause a critical on a 20 and are considered natural weapons,

You should specify this in the description of a fixer's fists as a weapon listing instead of martial arts. I suggest that their unarmed weapon listing be the same as the monk - same as unarmed damage, but lethal and 1d6 if size medium and with a damage die alteration table for size category; it's in the SRD under monk, check it out.

Also, note that most natural weapons threaten on 20 and confirm at x2 when unlisted as do unarmed strikes.

Finally, include a reference to the weapon listing of a fixer's fists in the 'martial arts' class feature description, just to make looking at the class on this board easier.

however the fixer still gains iterative attacks and may also take all feats related to unarmed attacks or manufactured weapons and apply them to their unarmed strikes

Should be, 'however the fixer still gains iterative attacks with their fists as appropriate to their BAB with a non-natural weapon and still treats their fists as unarmed attacks and/or manufactured weapons when they would be applicable to feats, (Ex)/(Sp)/(Su)/Etc. abilities, templates, class features, any prerequisites (such as unarmed strike damage for a PrC or feat), etc.'

Saying that it only relates to feats is oddly limiting (more so than the monk and his unarmed strikes) and also the wording 'as appropriate to their BAB with a non-natural weapon' is more specific than just 'gains iterative attacks' since the reader may not know what iterative attacks the OP is refering to, even though unspecifically referring to something like 'iterative attacks provided by class features' may seem redundant and 'iterative attacks provided by feats' totally out of the blue.

This ability grants the Fixer acquires sneak attack as the rogue, which grows by +1d6 every second level after a character's second level in fixer.

Grammatical error.

Counter Strike (Ex)

The fixer is a master of the martial arts; his hands are fluid in movement, his steps graceful. He moves as if he is the wind incarnate and strikes as lightning after the thunder. If the fixer has travelled no more than ten feet in the round he is attacked and his opponent strikes his body, the fixer rolls with the blow, taking the damage and using it to fuel the power of his next strike. The fixer immediately gains one attack at his highest base attack bonus. At tenth level a fixer may counter strike even when his opponent strikes and misses. At fifteenth level he gains an extra attack at his highest base attack bonus.

This requires some embellishment. I'm gonna break it down:

If the fixer has travelled no more than ten feet in the round he is attacked and his opponent strikes his body...

Should be 'If the fixer has travelled no more than ten feet in the round prior to being the target of a melee attack that damages him - assuming the creature making the attack is within a space that his fists are presently threatening before and (or? and/or? either?) after the attack is made - <continued from above quote until end of sentence>

The fixer immediately gains one attack at his highest base attack bonus. At tenth level a fixer may counter strike even when his opponent strikes and misses. At fifteenth level he gains an extra attack at his highest base attack bonus.

You have to detail this more. Is the attack acquired only for the next round or during the present round when he was damaged, or both? What action does the attack require? Free? Does the additional attack apply only when he would make his ordinary attacks?

Only when he makes his fist attacks during this round/the next round/any round/duration of encounter/forever? Does the additional attack stack with other uses in the same round/other rounds/any time during encounter/forever/until death do player and character part/etc.?

Or is it only 'one attack instead of other attacks he may make during the present round/the next round/any round/forever/until the universe asplodes and we asphyxiate on purple lemmings'?

You can probably see now that you've left out a lot here. :smallwink:

Force Bow (Su)

The fixer has gained access to powers beyond mortal ken. He may summon a bow of pure force, which glows with a blue hue. This bow is manifested to the fixer’s hand as a swift action and arrows manifest whenever the string is drawn. This weapon deals 2d6 damage, has a range increment of 150ft and causes a critical wound on 19-20 with a multiplier of x2. This weapon causes the wielder to act as if they had the entire archery feat tree; however, this only applies to the force bow and when the bow is in hand.

So can this bow be imbued/enchanted/modified or enhanced in any manner like a regular weapon? Is it essentially a magic item that the fixer gets for free that can be summoned/dismissed? Because it glows, is it easy to spot and/or find with a search check; and if it isn't, is their any fluff for why (perhaps it only glows when the fixer sees it and is otherwise invisible to others as greater invisibility - (Ex) or (Su) - when he isn't holding it; even then there'd still need to be mechanics that apply to him), etc.

If it behaves in all ways like a magic item, you should specify that it cannot be dispelled - maybe it's fueled by (Su) or (Ex) energies and not (Sp).

Basically, sort of the same issue with the fists but quite a few other things too since the bow actually seems to be behaving like an item this time.

Also, this pinches creativity and useability of the fixer a bit for the players, because at least a paladin's summoned mount could be changed and/or become more powerful with levels.

This weapon causes the wielder to act as if they had the entire archery feat tree

You should specify what the 'archery feat tree' is. From what I see it could include any archery feat, which might be a little imba - even though archery sucks, this seems like you intended it to be a minor class feature until the fixer could use their fists at range.

The fixer’s mastery over his speed is displayed in earnest when he is able to move long distances in but the blink of an eye. The fixer may Dimension Door, as per the spell at will. They may do this up to a distance of eighty feet and utilise it as a move action. At fifteenth level this becomes a swift action.

You should probably start it off as 'X distance' and increase it slightly with class levels. Maybe go beyond 80ft. rather than keep it static at 80ft.

It's always the little things that make players want to take more levels in the class.

A fixer of this level may now choose to bound off spaces or gain extra length to his jumps. If the fixer is of 10th level and above he may leap 10ft between walls as many times as he wishes so long as the distance travelled does not exceed his base land speed. At fifteenth level the fixer may now leap 20ft between walls. The fixer may leap twenty additional feet on all regular standing or running jumps. For purposes of rules determination, standing enemies may be treated as walls.

You should say that leaping between walls is an action that is part of movement. Otherwise players may whine that you didn't specify an action.

Also, you shouldn't say 'between walls' but use the words 'over spaces that would require 10ft. of jumping to pass through without lowering/raising your elevation by more than 5ft.'.

Lots of boundaries are uneven in non-industrialized settings (many D&D settings) after all and also a word like 'walls' is oddly specific; it should be any 10ft.-20ft. gap really - that way you don't even have to include 'tops of creatures' in your description at all, unless you feel you want to.

It's a big nitpick that I recommend you run with.

The fixer may never use more than half of these points to boost any roll. He may only boost his attack and defense, never damage or saving throws. These points may be regained after one round of intense focus wherein the fixer may take no other actions, if he receives damage in this round the points are not regained.

The fixer may never use more than half of these points to boost any roll.

'More than half' in the same round? Same encounter? Any time at all? Until we asphyxiate on the very same purple lemmings that we asphyxiated on previously?

He may only boost his attack and defense, never damage or saving throws.

What exactly are 'attack and defense'? Attack rolls and AC? What kind of bonuses are they? Is the AC flat-footed and touch AC? Etc.

These points may be regained after one round of intense focus wherein the fixer may take no other actions - if he receives damage in this round the points are not regained.

So is damage the only distraction? What does intense focus involve specifically? Simply not moving? No concentration check to regain focus anyway despite distractions? Should it be a wisdom check if it's like a zen sorta thing? Or a charisma check if its a matter of recomposing themselves? An intelligence check if they are extricating their mind? A dexterity check if they are regaining mobility in their limbs? A strength check if they are pulling the power into themselves (maybe their just flexing their muscles and the power is absorbed that way) or a constitution check if they need to, ie., re align their heart rate.

Or no action and the power just flows back into them gradually in the six seconds?

If the latter, what's the fluff behind the reason it needs no action?

The fixer now also gains the ability to block a martial attack and completely negate damage. They may choose to initiate a block on any round where the enemy makes a successful attack, before damage is determined. The fixer and his opponent make opposed dexterity checks and if the fixer is successful the damage is completely negated.

Is this once per round? Any time during a round? Readied action? Immediate action? Free action?

If it's a readied action, since it requires a standard action, it should allow him to do something else on a successful block, like a combat maneuver against that opponent as a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity (assuming opponent is within the fixer's reach).

on any round where the enemy makes a successful attack

What kind of attack? Melee? Ranged? Area of effect? Specific spell/power/ability (ie. ray or mind affecting) or any of the like?

The fixer and his opponent make opposed dexterity checks and if the fixer is successful the damage is completely negated.

What if the enemy is unaware the fixer requires them to be dexterous to hit him? Should it just be DC = half enemy's attack roll instead/dexterity check to set DC at enemy's option?

Right now I'm just arguing verisimilitude though.

The fixer uses the force of his blows to deflect incoming projectiles of any size up to a weight of 150Ibs. Whenever the fixer is aware of a projectile and is not flat footed, he may deflect the attack twice per round.

Weight should increase with levels. Again, give a reason for why the player might want to be an epic fixer. You could also make it appear at lower levels and lower the weight until it reaches 150lbs. at the level he currently gains it, and then raise it for higher levels.

Whenever the fixer is aware of a projectile and is not flat footed, he may deflect the attack twice per round.

If he is aware of a projectile, he probably won't be flatfooted to that projectile (unless he thought it were a fluffy post-asphyxiated expulsionary lemming speedily whisking forward to give him a hug).

Do you mean 'is not denied his dexterity bonus to said projectile'?

... he may deflect the attack twice per round.

The same attack from the same projectile? From the same source? Should probably be 'from such attacks' (same source) or 'from ranged projectile attacks'. /nitpick

Again arguing for player incentive to take more levels in this class, you should increase his ranged deflection limit at higher levels. Alternatively, you could make it his Dex modifier, like deflect arrows instead.

Death Strike (Ex)

Not really a fan of death attacks, but it's your class and I won't deny you.

I'm trying to figure out where to add in two martial maneuver progressions, while still keeping the other class abilities of the fixer. Now that I look at it...this class is almost identical to the monk. Barring the bow and the actual martial arts abilities anyhow. *shrugs* Any way, suggestions on inserting martial maneuvers in here somewhere would be greatly appreciated. I think Steel Serpent or Dancing Leaf as suggested by Temotei. Anyway, critique away.

Two maneuver progressions? I don't think I've ever seen that (except in multi-classing).

Usually a proper maneuver progression always lists the number of maneuvers it can ready per level as well as those known, and a way to recover and ready new maneuvers.

Disciplines I recommend are shadow hand (stealth), army of one (brutality), falling sun (kung fu) - those sorts. If there's any disciplines that focus on speed, I reccomend you use one that has been fully peached and is decent and bundled with boosts, counters and strikes for every level (and stances too if you're giving them stances).

You could allow them to select maybe just two disciplines from the list of those they can choose. That way, you could even include the discipline 'black rain', or some other kind of archery focused discipline for the odd few who want to use this class for its summoned force bow (assuming you use my suggestions and make it up to snuff).

Since the Fixer already has a good progression of class features, you could probably just cap them out at 5 maneuvers that can be readied at 20th level (of course, they can know a whole lot more). Probably no stances or, if any, just one or two (at the very most).

They aren't serious sublime way practicioners, but they find themselves adopting a few moves to discern themselves and outwit new foes that they inevitably will encounter on the path to supremacy/immortality - it isn't the focus of their career, unlike the sword sage (with... 16 maneuvers readied at 20th I think?).

zenanarchist
2010-09-02, 07:57 PM
Wow....Seems I did miss a lot.

Sorry, the critique was appreciated but I've found it hard lately to get time on the net. I will go through and fix (no pun) everything I can that you found with your review when I've got proper access to a computer. Damn internet drop out @ home.

Thanks a tonne for the review though!