PDA

View Full Version : How to protect a follower

Talakeal
2010-08-20, 01:04 PM
I am currently playing in an E6 game as a vampire (modified to remove the huge LA) fighter / monk and have a Renfieldesque follower. I am having a problem figuring out ways to keep her safe and was wondering if anyone has any advice?:

I have tried simply drawing attention off of her by keeping myself and the rest of the party a bigger threat. The problem is that some enemies specifically go after the weakest opponent, either for an easy meal or out of simple sadism, and it is no protection against traps or area of effect.

I can't simply leave her at home because that could be even more dangerous as I am not around to protect her most of the time.

I also can't make her undead as I need to be able to feed off her.

I also don't want to teach her to become a warrior herself as it is both out of character for her and would effectively give me two characters thus annoying the rest of the party.

Thanks for the help!

Keld Denar
2010-08-20, 01:16 PM
Stash her in a Portable Hole with a Bottle of Air?

Abies
2010-08-20, 01:28 PM
Don't bring your non-combatant follower with you into dangerous situations? If she can not stay at home for fear of being killed while you 're away that's more an issue of the GM being a **** instead of you not keeping her safe.

Yorrin
2010-08-20, 01:40 PM
How's your strength score? If you can lift her in one hand then a glove of storing will keep her in stasis as long as you want. No time passes for her, so you only need to feed her every few weeks or so. You can even store the glove (with her in it) in your backpack and make use of normal magical gloves while you're adventuring.

Xefas
2010-08-20, 01:42 PM
Don't bring your non-combatant follower with you into dangerous situations? If she can not stay at home for fear of being killed while you 're away that's more an issue of the GM being a **** instead of you not keeping her safe.

Actually, if she can not stay at home for fear of being killed while you're away, that's more an issue of...her being the bride of a vampire, and the game world acting completely sensibly towards that?

Honestly, being a vampire shouldn't be convenient, and neither should associating with them. Making difficult decisions like this are what make playing a character like that interesting.

I think the best solution would be to make an agreement with the DM, that if you make an honest effort to protect her (sending her to hide when a fight starts, dressing her up as a combatant so she isn't specifically targeted, jumping in the way of attackers, etc), he won't go out of his way to murder her in a non-climactic fashion. Hopefully he'll appreciate your sincerity more than if you show up with some extra-dimensional space to stick someone in and expect them to be okay with that.

Person_Man
2010-08-20, 01:49 PM
If danger is so prevalent, why not just feed off your enemies instead an otherwise useless follower?

Also, how do your enemies know that she is the weakest? If it's because she "looks" weak, just dress her up in Full Armor (the lack of proficiency/armor check penalty are meaningless if she never attacks or uses skills), give her a Tower Shield (which also provides cover) and have her fight on the full defensive every round.

You could also chop off her arms and legs and put her in a backpack. That way she couldn't be targeted (although I guess she could be Sundered).

Also, Monk/Fighter is a horrible combination for E6. Basically all they offer is bonus feats and Evasion (which can be purchased with a ring or feats), and E6 games continue to progress Feats and gp.

Lothmar
2010-08-20, 02:37 PM
Ah vampire fun. ^^ Okay, you said you modded your vampire -what abilities do you still have?

If you have energy drain and create spawn, have you considered raising a small group of Unic/bodyguard wights (that way they can be with her in daytime/sunlight) to protect her and take her to saftey in combat.

Hell, Leadership/undead leadership would be a good thing to take if you wish to protect followers with your children of the night and to give yourself a reasonable cap on that type of followers - cause at a certain points GM's get tweaked if you just convert every enemy you kill and crush their will to your whims by making them your spawn.

Have you considered purchasing a magic item - like something that could turn her invisible, or temporarily teleport her away, or maybe that bracelet of friendship that allows you to teleport someone back to you - or a magic item of shielding so you can take half damage and with DR, fast healing and conditions that must be meet to kill a vampire, you can keep taking damage for a long time. Ohh! You should also get a Coffin of Spellstoring and have it always filled with an Inflict Serious to heal yourself in case you get misted.

Keld Denar
2010-08-20, 03:13 PM
Hopefully he'll appreciate your sincerity more than if you show up with some extra-dimensional space to stick someone in and expect them to be okay with that.

Shut up and get in the bag...
:smallcool: