PDA

View Full Version : Little detail about Tyrinar

Valifor
2010-08-20, 01:27 PM
i think this has probably been mentioned and discussed before, but on the incredible off chance it hasn't, here goes: in strip 131 http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0131.html, in Haley's letter, it makes mention that Tyrinar is called "Tyrinar the Bloody". i know it's a small link, but the fact that he's called "the Bloody" at least adds to the possibility that he is Tarquin and the Empire of Blood is where Tyrannia used to be, doesn't it?

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 01:32 PM
Ever since being driven out of his kingdom, when Nale was very young, Tarquin has always been the power behind the throne, not the power on the throne.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html

Hence, it's unlikely that he ever was a ruler called "Tyrinar"

The possibility that Tyrinar was the previous ruler of the kingdom that Tarquin, Malack, and the Empress conquered two years ago, has been raised though.

Crisis21
2010-08-20, 02:09 PM
Ever since being driven out of his kingdom, when Nale was very young, Tarquin has always been the power behind the throne, not the power on the throne.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0725.html

Hence, it's unlikely that he ever was a ruler called "Tyrinar"

The possibility that Tyrinar was the previous ruler of the kingdom that Tarquin, Malack, and the Empress conquered two years ago, has been raised though.

In real life, this possibility would be very low.

In the fictional world, where everything is driven by drama and plot twists, the possibility is respectably high.

slayerx
2010-08-20, 02:22 PM
Actually, thinking about it, Tarquin would probably be Haley's best lead to finding her father. He's been conquering and running various nations for the past 15 years. Given that he is fairly intelligent, he likely would remember some of the nations that got wiped out and replaced in the past few years

Goosefarble
2010-08-20, 04:20 PM
I just re-read that page, and I find it quite likely now (or at least, not unlikely) that the "some guy" he served was in fact Tyrinar. I don't know why it would have been mentioned if that, or something similar, were not the case.

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-20, 04:24 PM
I just re-read that page, and I find it quite likely now (or at least, not unlikely) that the "some guy" he served was in fact Tyrinar. I don't know why it would have been mentioned if that, or something similar, were not the case.
The timeline doesn't match. That was 14ish years ago. Tyrinar was around 2ish years ago and most of the nations last around a year.

Goosefarble
2010-08-20, 04:28 PM
The timeline doesn't match. That was 14ish years ago. Tyrinar was around 2ish years ago and most of the nations last around a year.

Crap, really? Damn. I had a nice little speculation going on there. Well, like Slayerx said, he'll probably have some info the Order really need/want. In any case, I really hope he doesn't betray the Order. They need a break.

Connington
2010-08-20, 06:10 PM
In the fictional world, where everything is driven by drama and plot twists, the possibility is respectably high.

Do keep in mind that Tarquin and Malack have been selling their bodies strategic services for long enough to rack up a dozen or so ex-masters. There are enough nations to make it improbable that he ever served Tyrinar, but it's not a 100 to one shot or anything like that.

Valifor
2010-08-21, 02:42 AM
Do keep in mind that Tarquin and Malack have been selling their bodies strategic services for long enough to rack up a dozen or so ex-masters. There are enough nations to make it improbable that he ever served Tyrinar, but it's not a 100 to one shot or anything like that.

you have a good point. and even if they didn't serve under him, as the high general and high priest, they'd be involved in foreign affairs, so they probably at least knew who Tyrinnar was/is and what happened to him.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-21, 06:18 AM
i know it's a small link, but the fact that he's called "the Bloody" at least adds to the possibility that he is Tarquin and the Empire of Blood is where Tyrannia used to be, doesn't it?

Yes, because they both start with a "T". That means he is also Therkla in disguise, as well as Thanh!