PDA

View Full Version : Duskblades Aren't Proficient With Simple Weapons [3.5]

Temotei
2010-08-20, 02:22 PM
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Duskblades are proficient with all martial weapons, as well as all armors and shields (except tower shields).

Duskblades aren't proficient with simple weapons, apparently. Interesting.

koeldflare
2010-08-20, 02:28 PM
If I'm not mistaken they corrected that in the errata, so now your favorite duskblade hero can walk around carrying some junk he will probably never use, because martial weapons are almost always superior.

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 02:28 PM
Ah, but in the Simple Weapon Proficiency feat:

Simple Weapon Proficiency [General]
Benefit
You make attack rolls with simple weapons normally.

Normal
When using a weapon with which you are not proficient, you take a -4 penalty on attack rolls.

Special
All characters except for druids, monks, and wizards are automatically proficient with all simple weapons. They need not select this feat.

Vangor
2010-08-20, 02:29 PM
Page 19 – Duskblade Class Features;
Weapon and Armor Proficiency
[Omission]
The “Weapon and Armor Proficiency” Class feature
for duskblades should state: “Duskblades are
proficient with all simple and martial weapons.”

Yup, been errata'd in.

Temotei
2010-08-20, 02:31 PM
Ah, but in the Simple Weapon Proficiency feat:

That was before any other books were out, though, so you have to take that with a grain of salt.

Yup, been errata'd in.

Curses! Foiled again. :smallamused:

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 02:33 PM
It's exactly the same way in the SRD.

Hmm- have any classes been published since PHB came out that are not proficient with all simple weapons?

Temotei
2010-08-20, 02:41 PM
It's exactly the same way in the SRD.

Hmm- have any classes been published since PHB came out that are not proficient with all simple weapons?

I feel the urge to search every book. Must...fight.

Anyway, specific trumps general, so duskblade would still not be proficient if the errata hadn't corrected it...except, maybe the feat would win because the Player's Handbook trumps every other book, essentially. :smallsigh:

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 02:49 PM
Just checked, the following PC classes are not proficient with all simple weapons (in spite of what the PHB might imply) but call out specific weapons they are proficient with):

Psion (Expanded Psionics Handbook)
Death Master (Dragon Compendium)
Urban Druid (Dragon Compendium)
Erudite (Psionic Power)

Since I don't have Dragonlance, I've no idea if the Mystic or the Noble are proficient with all simple weapons or not.

Morph Bark
2010-08-20, 02:53 PM
...except, maybe the feat would win because the Player's Handbook trumps every other book, essentially. :smallsigh:

So then the spells in the PHB would not be on the lists of any non-core casting classes unless they cast from the Wizard/Druid/Cleric lists? :smallamused:

Temotei
2010-08-20, 03:02 PM
Oh, and the commoner.

hamishspence
2010-08-20, 03:06 PM
I was thinking PC classes- though if NPCs are included the commoner counts as well.