PDA

View Full Version : Dexterity or Perception for Gun skills- that is the question

GM.Casper
2010-08-20, 03:31 PM
Wich one is better to use? DnD uses DX because it doesn’t have a separate PR stat. GURPS also uses DX, and PR there is derived from IQ. Fallout uses PR for Gun skills. What are your thoughts?

Morph Bark
2010-08-20, 03:37 PM
...it took me a second to figure you meant Dexterity with DX rather than dice sizes and PR for Perception and not Public Relations or Power Resistance.

If you mean for attack rolls and such, use Dexterity as with bows and thrown weapons and basically all personal ranged weapons. If you mean certain other skills that somehow use guns but not with shooting... I don't know what you mean.

EDIT: Aaaannd I think I understood the question wrongly. I still stand by Dex for the reasons already posted below me though. :smallwink:

Spiryt
2010-08-20, 03:38 PM
I'm pretty sure that for small arms Fallout used Agility.

Although Perception was included too, for range modifiers.

So Fallout had it kinda nicely done.

Frozen_Feet
2010-08-20, 03:44 PM
Based on my experiences, accuracy with firearms has much more to do with muscle and breathing control than just spotting the target. For other gun-related skills, such as (dis)assembling and maintaining a firearm, it's nimbleness (represented by dexterity) all the way.

So Dex, hands down.

fusilier
2010-08-20, 04:07 PM
Gurps uses Dexterity for guns, but there is a positive modifier based on IQ. (At least that's the way it was in 3rd edition). I've always liked this, because while I think the majority of it comes down to dexterity, being *smart* about guns helps.

Snake-Aes
2010-08-20, 04:30 PM
Use whatever is linked to hand-eye coordination (dex, usually. not to confuse with dæmon's Agility)

Grynning
2010-08-20, 04:44 PM
If you're going with a "realism" slant to this thing, really guns should be based purely on skill and training and barely be influenced by stats. Many people I know or know of are very proficient firearms handlers and good shots aren't particularly agile or perceptive when it comes to other aspects of life.

The Palladium system basically handles guns like this in most of it's settings, with only certain characters and classes being able to add their Physical Prowess attribute (the Palladium equivalent of Dex) to the rolls. Of course, other aspects of the Palladium system kind of kill any semblance of realism (like how it's very unlikely that you'll miss with a gun even at lower levels since the base value to hit anything is only a 5 on a d20).

Kurald Galain
2010-08-20, 05:11 PM
I generally use perception, primarily because dexterity is used for way too many other things already.

Plus, you don't need to be agile and fit in order to use a gun well, nor does using a gun a lot make you more dextrous and quick on your feet.

Frozen_Feet
2010-08-20, 05:29 PM
If you're going with a "realism" slant to this thing, really guns should be based purely on skill and training and barely be influenced by stats. Many people I know or know of are very proficient firearms handlers and good shots aren't particularly agile or perceptive when it comes to other aspects of life.

In d20 system, modifiers from feats and experience levels tend to outweigh any ability modifier. In many other systems, even if base abilities do affect combat prowess, other factors tend to be more important.

In other words, many systems already stress skill and training more than base abilities. But if you have to lump firearm proficiency with some base ability, it's the one that governs hand-eye-cordination, which usually is Dexterity, Nimbleness, or some such.