PDA

View Full Version : The Scrapper: Urban Barbarian Variant (3.5e, PEACH)

Meirnon
2010-08-20, 07:38 PM
So, I have in my campaign two versions of the Barbarian: the traditional berserker from the wilds, all rage and power bellowing through lines of enemies and shrugging off blows from all angles as he tears his enemies apart with shattering blows. Then there's the Scrapper, his urban counterpart, growing up with a chip on his shoulder and a lot of anger to vent (lest he receive an aneurysm!).

Without further ado and without explaining too much about it, here's the variant abilities allowed for a Scrapper.

Level 1: Replace Fast Movement with Unfettered Movement
Unfettered Movement (Ex): A Scrapper is used to his streets. He calls the bustling city home, after all. Moving from one place to another is simple and easy for him, as no obstacle is too hard for him to pass up. At 1st level, the Scrapper doesn't take movement penalties for going over rough or difficult terrain, nor does he take movement penalties from walking through large crowds.
Level 1: Replace Fast Movement & Damage Reduction with AC Bonus
AC Bonus (Ex): A good scrapper knows that being hurt, well, hurts. And the best way to win a fight is to make sure the enemy gets hurt and not him. Starting at 1st level, a Scrapper gains a +1 dodge bonus to his AC. At every level where he would gain Damage Reduction, he instead gains another point of dodge bonus to his AC, topping at +6AC at 19th level. This bonus is only applicable when the Scrapper is conscious, mobile, aware of attackers, or otherwise not flat-footed or flanked.

Level 3: Replace Trap Sense with Keen Senses
Keen Senses (Ex): Living alone on the streets often attracts the attention of thugs, and a Scrapper knows all too well what a group of vultures' tactics are. With this in mind, a Scrapper is always alert for an ambush, gaining a +1 bonus to spot and listen at 3rd level. At every 3rd level thereafter, this bonus increases by +1. This bonus remains even if the Scrapper is asleep, as approaching enemies may stir him from his slumber.

Level 6: Replace Trap Sense with Superior Initiative
Superior Initiative (Ex): Knowing trouble could happen at any moment, the Scrapper is always ready to pounce into a fight, sometimes even more so than anyone else. At 6th level, and every 6 levels thereafter, the Scrapper gains a +1 Competence bonus to Initiative, reaching +3 at 18th level.

Level 14: Replace Indomitable Will with Quick Reflexes
Quick Reflexes (Ex): Swerving from his opponents, an enraged Scrapper of 14th level or above gains an additional +4 bonus to Reflex saves made to take half damage. This bonus is only given to a Scrapper while in Rage, and only applies to saves made to take half damage, such as from a Dragon's Breath Weapon.

----

The idea of the Scrapper is the urban bruiser who, rather than using guile and wit to beat a foe on the streets, charges in and tackles the guy pointing a dagger at him with a wailing roar and a flurry of punches.

The reason I wanted to give him alternate abilities is because the "Traditional" Barbarian's abilities don't quite fit with the Scrapper's techniques. He's good at dodging blows and clocking someone unconscious with a single swing. So, I'm not just asking for criticism of the chosen replacement abilities, I'm also asking for suggestions on replacement abilities for this optional variant. :smallbiggrin:

Toptomcat
2010-08-20, 07:55 PM
There are somewhat perverse consequences to having both the Evasion ability and Quick Reflexes: since any save for half damage is now a save for no damage, Quick Reflexes ceases to offer any benefit. A quick change in the verbiage ought to fix this.

Meirnon
2010-08-20, 08:08 PM
There are somewhat perverse consequences to having both the Evasion ability and Quick Reflexes: since any save for half damage is now a save for no damage, Quick Reflexes ceases to offer any benefit. A quick change in the verbiage ought to fix this.

Right, but to have both evasion and Quick Reflexes would need a level 16 character. It wouldn't even make up the reflex save loss that you'd get from not being a pure rogue or somesuch, and would make it about balanced.

Starbuck_II
2010-08-20, 08:08 PM
So he gets bette at dodging attacks instead of being able to lower damage recieved when he is hit.

Granted, unless you use Whirling Frenzy the AC penalty kinda counteracts the Dodge bonus till normally DR is 2/-.

Meirnon
2010-08-20, 08:09 PM
So he gets bette at dodging attacks instead of being able to lower damage recieved when he is hit.

Granted, unless you use Whirling Frenzy the AC penalty kinda counteracts the Dodge bonus till normally DR is 2/-.

I feel more like the dodge bonus counteracts the AC penalty. :smallwink:

Kensen
2010-08-21, 05:20 AM
I don't like the name of the class, it just doesn't sound heroic enough. Anyways, keen sense could also include a initiative bonus when the character is in an urban environment.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 06:29 AM
I agree with kensen, because skill modifiers aren't really that usefull, especially when at higher levels, people who are sneaking up on you aren't hiding, they are using improved invisibility.

As for balance, this looks pretty good. However, you should know that most are probably still going to sacrifice the AC bonus for some barb Acf (like pounce).

Meirnon
2010-08-21, 01:35 PM
I could add an initiative bonus. Say... +1 every 6 levels? And yes, this comment is skimpy. I just woke up and am really tired. :smallbiggrin:;

EDIT: Put in Superior Initiative.

Dencero
2010-08-21, 07:31 PM
I sort of like it.

What about an ability that lets The Scrapper move through a crowded street at full speed?

All the better to chase you down with.

Meirnon
2010-08-21, 08:53 PM
I sort of like it.

What about an ability that lets The Scrapper move through a crowded street at full speed?

All the better to chase you down with.

OH! RIGHT! I meant to replace Fast Movement with something that let you move unfettered by terrain or obstacles, but I completely forgot about it. :smallbiggrin:

Dencero
2010-08-21, 09:17 PM
OH! RIGHT! I meant to replace Fast Movement with something that let you move unfettered by terrain or obstacles, but I completely forgot about it. :smallbiggrin:

Lol, glad I could help jog your brain. Just be careful or the Scrapper will chase it down. >.>