PDA

View Full Version : Making a Dread Necromancer's Spells Count as Divine

Amphetryon
2010-08-21, 05:24 AM
See thread title. We're playing in Eberron, and the player in question wants to get into Bone Knight. He's a DN 5/Crusader 2 in service to the armies of Karrnath and the Emerald Claw already, doesn't want to lose any more caster levels, and asked about DN 8/Crusader 2/BKn 10.

No Dragon Magazine allowed, and no cross-setting feats allowed (like Southern Magician).

WinWin
2010-08-21, 05:48 AM
No RAW method that I am aware of.

Geomancer may apply, though that would result in lost CL.

Otherwise reflavour the Knight of the Arcane order feat. Allow a few divine spells to be researched and added to the spells known list.

That or adapt the DN casting.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-21, 06:14 AM
Even if he can get 1st level divine spells so he can qualify, Bone Knight grants +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class. It cannot advance his DN spellcasting, even if he can turn some of the arcane spells into divine, he'd need to pick an actual divine spellcasting class to advance with it. The obvious choices here would be Ur-Priest and Divine Crusader, but I doubt that's what he'd want to do. If the DM isn't willing to make an exception to the prerequisites and spellcasting advancement for a DN, he'd be better off just finding a different prestige class. Plus he would have been much better off with one more DN level before multiclassing, so he'd have 3rd level spells and be able to get a 3rd level stance at Crusader 2.

Dread Necromancer was designed to be a controller. He debuffs opponents while relying on undead minions to deal the necessary damage to kill foes. He gets abilities which augment his minions to make them more useful, he gets passive effects to discourage opponents from engaging him directly, and he can summon additional minions to act as meat shields so he doesn't get attacked. A Ghostly Visage familiar grants one of the most powerful crowd control effects in the game with its paralyzing gaze, and he gets a versatile array of spells to severely reduce opponents' effectiveness. There's not much reason to multiclass out, including prestige classes, especially if he'd have to sacrifice any spellcasting.

Amphetryon
2010-08-21, 06:51 AM
Even if he can get 1st level divine spells so he can qualify, Bone Knight grants +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class. It cannot advance his DN spellcasting, even if he can turn some of the arcane spells into divine, he'd need to pick an actual divine spellcasting class to advance with it.This appears to miss the point of the thread. I'm trying to make the DN's spells - themselves, not some other casting list - count as divine.

Plus he would have been much better off with one more DN level before multiclassing, so he'd have 3rd level spells and be able to get a 3rd level stance at Crusader 2. So, "You're doing it wrong." Gotcha. :smallsigh:

There's not much reason to multiclass out, including prestige classes, especially if he'd have to sacrifice any spellcasting. Again, as stated in the original post, the multiclass with Crusader is already done. "You're doing it wrong" may be a valid POV, but it's not an especially helpful point to add.

Douglas
2010-08-21, 12:49 PM
This appears to miss the point of the thread. I'm trying to make the DN's spells - themselves, not some other casting list - count as divine.
He's not missing the point, he's saying that even if you find a way to get what you asked for it still won't do what you want. If you found some non-setting-specific version of Southern Magician, your DN would be able to cast spells that counted as divine, but DN would still be an arcane casting class and therefore not a valid choice for Bone Knight's casting advancement.

In order for Bone Knight to advance Dread Necromancer casting without homebrew, adaptation, or house rules, you would have to find a way for the Dread Necromancer class itself to count as a divine casting class - you would have to specifically find an Alternate Class Feature, not a feat, that makes Dread Necromancer casting divine instead of arcane. Good luck with that, I'm not sure Dread Necromancer even has any official ACFs at all.

Reynard
2010-08-21, 03:09 PM
Yeah, just ask the DM if he can change:

A dread necromancer casts arcane spells, which are drawn from the dread necromancer’s spell list...

Into:

A dread necromancer casts divine spells, which are drawn from the dread necromancer’s spell list...

the humanity
2010-08-21, 04:50 PM
what reynard said is the simplest way to do it.

maybe ask if the DM can make it a feat of some sort if he is hesitant:

Arcane Holiness
prereq: knowledge arcana 5 ranks, knowledge religion 5 ranks, caster level 1st

a single arcane or divine spellcasting class counts as both an arcane and a divine spellcasting class for all purposes. a character with arcane holiness may only advance one spellcasting rank per level. the spell list of the class does not change.

JaronK
2010-08-21, 05:21 PM
Yeah, it's not really going to work. Best I can think of is Dread Necromancer 8/Crusader 2/Ur Priest 2/Bone Knight 8.

JaronK