PDA

View Full Version : Two-Bladed Katana (bastard sword) and Feats (PEACH)

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-21, 01:08 PM
Exotic Weapon
10 lb
160 gp
Damage: 1d10 slashing/1d10 slashing
Critical Range: 19-20
Crtical Multiplier: x2

Special: Double weapon

Feats:

Double Weapon Mastery
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Fighting, proficiency with any double weapon, BAB +4
Effect: When fighting with both ends of a double weapon, you get one additional atack with the primary head at no penalty (beyond the penalty for fighting with two weapons).

Double Weapon Spin
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Defence, proficiency with any double weapon, Dex 17+
Effect: When fighting with a double weapon, you can spin it in front of you as a shield (a swift action), granting a +2 bonus to Armor Class. You lose this bonus anytime you would lose a shield bonus.

Improved Double Weapon Mastery
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Fighting, proficiency with any double weapon, BAB +8, Double Weapon Mastery
Effect: When fighting with both ends of a double weapon, you get an additional attack with the primary head at a -5 penalty.

Improved Double Weapon Spin
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Defence, proficiency with any double weapon, Double Weapon Spin, Dex 19+
Effect: When fighting with a double weapon, you can spin it in front of you as a shield (a swift action), granting a +3 bonus to Armor Class (+5 against ranged attacks). This bonus applies even against touch attacks. This effect overrides the effect of Double Weapon Spin.

Spiryt
2010-08-21, 01:11 PM
So, needing two feats, being double weapon, it sucks like hell?

Seriously, whole "martial, simple, exotic" idea needs stake to the heart, but that's just my humble opinion.

Anyway, I would reinvent it in somehow, because it's simply not worth taking two feats to follow already underpowered Two Weapon fighting tree with it...

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-21, 01:31 PM
What could I change that wouldn't completely obsolete the regular two-bladed sword?

Malfunctioned
2010-08-21, 01:34 PM
I'd say to drop the Two-Bladed Sword requirement and replace it with a -1 to AC due to unwieldiness. Then again I haven't had any experience in wielding something that could even resemble this so that may not be necessary.

jiriku
2010-08-21, 01:34 PM
The regular two-bladed sword performs obscene acts with goats. Obsolete it and don't look back. Your weapon is perfectly fine with a single Double Katana EWP.

Spiryt
2010-08-21, 01:38 PM
Well, the thing is pretty simple - without really having much advantages to offer, two weapon fighting includes few disadvantages ( damage reduction is problem for starters).

Further - taking two bladed sword is really worse in most cases compared to longsword + short sword combo. A tiny bit of additional damage is not worth the feat at all.

And your weapon gives a bit of damage more, while burning two feats. Much better things can be done with two feats.

That's just for some insight, I'm not really sure how it can be done most elegantly, I probably would just make it exotic weapon, with appropriate stats...

I'd say to drop the Two-Bladed Sword requirement and replace it with a -1 to AC due to unwieldiness. Then again I haven't had any experience in wielding something that could even resemble this so that may not be necessary.

In terms of realistic wielding, such weapon doesn't have sense at all (like most of D&D ideas :P) so let's not mix such discussions here.

Weapons stats have to be balanced, not "necessary" or not.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:09 PM
I have to agree with Jiriku, drop the prereqs and call it a day. Seriously, when is the last time you saw someone use a double weapon? They need some love, so no need to needlessly make them incredibly costly to use.

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-21, 02:12 PM
Prereqs eliminated: you now just need to take one feat.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 02:14 PM
Now all we need is some more double weapon feat love, maybe a few other "revamped" weapons and, if your are really into it, a martial discipline for them :smallsmile:

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-21, 03:15 PM
Feats:

Double Weapon Mastery
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Fighting, proficiency with any double weapon, BAB +4
Effect: When fighting with both ends of a double weapon, you get one additional atack with the primary head at no penalty (beyond the penalty for fighting with two weapons).

Double Weapon Spin
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Defence, proficiency with any double weapon, Dex 17+
Effect: When fighting with a double weapon, you can spin it in front of you as a shield (a swift action), granting a +2 bonus to Armor Class. You lose this bonus anytime you would lose a shield bonus.

Improved Double Weapon Mastery
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Fighting, proficiency with any double weapon, BAB +8, Double Weapon Mastery
Effect: When fighting with both ends of a double weapon, you get an additional attack with the primary head at a -5 penalty.

Improved Double Weapon Spin
Prereqs: Two-Weapon Defence, proficiency with any double weapon, Double Weapon Spin, Dex 19+
Effect: When fighting with a double weapon, you can spin it in front of you as a shield (a free action), granting a +3 bonus to Armor Class (+5 against ranged attacks). This bonus applies even against touch attacks. This effect overrides the effect of Double Weapon Spin.

Also, I've never read ToB, how do you make a martial discipline?

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 03:25 PM
Looks pretty good, but double weapon spin needs an action to use, and maybe a penalty for using it as a shield (maybe only being able to use as a one handed weapon?), with the second feat letting you keep it at all times.

However, with the feat cost and the dexterity cost, it might be better to just let them use both sides of the weapon all the time, and maybe make the second feat apply to touch AC too, with maybe more bonuses against ranged attacks?

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-21, 03:32 PM
Feats edited.

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 03:35 PM
The first one should probably be a move action at max (i'd keep it a swift), or people will never use it (would you sacrifice all your attacks for +2 AC?)

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-21, 03:37 PM
So, swift and then free?

Dead_Jester
2010-08-21, 05:31 PM
So, swift and then free?

Nah just keep it swift, free action would just be giving free stuff, which I find too generous. However, it is up to you, if you want to make it a free action, it's your call.

Maerok
2010-08-21, 05:38 PM
Are we talking Darth Maul double-katana or like this:

http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/images/swords/519dCi4vUmL__AA280_.jpg

?

Dead_Jester
2010-08-22, 05:57 AM
Are we talking Darth Maul double-katana or like this:

http://medieval.stormthecastle.com/images/swords/519dCi4vUmL__AA280_.jpg

?

Darth Maul, because that thing is physically useless and probably one of the stupidest weapon designs ever, It has no advantage but double the weight and resistance, and it spreads the impact on two blades instead of one.

Malfunctioned
2010-08-22, 06:07 AM
Darth Maul, because that thing is physically useless and probably one of the stupidest weapon designs ever, It has no advantage but double the weight and resistance, and it spreads the impact on two blades instead of one.

And the Darth Maul version is just so completely reasonable in comparison?

Bobbis
2010-08-22, 06:25 AM
By comparison? Yes. On it's own? Of course not.

DrWeird
2010-08-22, 12:03 PM
It's too strange; the entire idea of wielding two weapons or double weapons that act as two weapons is just a bad idea when trying to make them viable against other options. I've never seen someone effectively make them competitive without making it overpowered or at least a superior choice to all other weapons. It's not even practical - and I know, real life =/= D&D, but yet all the weapons designed in 3.5 at least had a real base in creation, and when it came to two weapons, wanting that extra attack meant giving up a lot. We really can't hope for much else to fix the 'balance', as unbalanced as it is.

Ashtagon
2010-08-22, 02:56 PM
Actually, the two blades side by side arrangement does have one specific way in which it is superior. Two parallel cutting wounds side by side make the injury a LOT harder to heal, as the section of flesh between the two cuts has been severed on both sides, and lacks any source of nutrients unless the area is properly bound and not moved (so micro-blood-vessels and nerves can line up). The most likely result is that this section of flesh will turn necrotic, likely leading to a severe infection.

That's not likely to mean much in the course of a typical D&D fight though.

Mando Knight
2010-08-22, 09:42 PM
That's not likely to mean much in the course of a typical D&D fight though.

Especially since your Cleric (or Druid or Paladin) buddy can take a look at you, point, and say "It's all better now."

dragonsamurai77
2010-08-29, 01:10 PM
Way of the Alternating Strikes (Very WIP, will take ideas)

Level 1:

Rolling Slash
Initiation Action: Full action
Range: Melee Attack
Target: One creature
Effect: You can move up to 15 ft in a straight line before making a full attack with a double weapon. You are not subject to attacks of opportunity during this movement.

Level 2:

Stance of the Rapid Slash
Initiation Action: Move action
Effect: Whenever you full attack with a double weapon, each attack does an additional 1d4 damage.
Duration: 4 rounds

Level 3:

Level 4:

Level 5:

Sonic Spin
Initiation Action: Move Action
Range: 120 ft
Target: One creature
Effect: You spin your double weapon, creating a sound wave doing 8d6 sonic damage.

Level 6:

Level 7:

Level 8:

Level 9: