PDA

View Full Version : Shortening classes as a quick + dirty fix to weak classes

Erom
2010-08-21, 01:44 PM
So this does nothing to reduce the power of strong classes, but it seems like an quick and dirty way to improve bad classes a bit: make them shorter.

What I mean is, you shorten the number of levels required to finish the class, but still give them all of their class abilities. It seems to work well for the fighter, monk, and paladin, anyway: make them 10 level classes, that get all the bonuses from two levels of the class every time they level up. Obviously, don't give them double increases to saves or bab, just class features. After 10 levels, they can either multiclass or take a prestige class.

The fighter doesn't change much - just gets double bonus feats at level 1 and a bonus feat every level instead of every other level. The paladin gets a much faster casting progression, starts with lay on hands, get's his mount at level 3, etc. The monk get's all his disjointed non-synergistic abilities, but he gets them like a half-dozen at a time every level up.

At first brush, it seems like (Ignoring Tier 6 since their mostly NPC classes) if you make Tier 5 classes 10 levels long and Tier 4 classes 15 levels long (giving them a double level up every 3rd level or something) you can quickly bring low tier classes up to Tier 3ish level.

Thoughts?

Moriato
2010-08-21, 01:54 PM
Sounds interesting, but it could cause a lot of odd problems. For example, if you did this to a Ranger with two-weapon combat style, he'd wind up at level 6 with 2 main hand attacks, but 3 offhand attacks at a bab of.. +6/+1 and... uh... -4? 0?

I could also see fighters having the problem of tons of bonus feats, but not being able to meet the prerequisites for the feats they actually want to take.

I think it has merit, but needs some tweaking.

FMArthur
2010-08-21, 02:07 PM
Sounds like what Marshal should have been to begin with. I'm not so sure about Fighter though; it's already great as a 1-2 level dip class to make actual T3 classes more powerful, and this fails to change that. CA Ninja getting big Sudden Strike damage very fast could also be harmful to game balance.

Also, at level 9 Healers will get Gate. Yeah, that Gate.