PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] immune to damage

Halae
2010-08-21, 03:51 PM
I'm looking at way my character can become immune to damage, and the things that really struck me was a warforged can become immune to nonlethal damage through a feat or the warforged juggernaut prestige class, and regeneration turns all but a few damage types into nonlethal damage. is there any way to get regeneration on a warforged without trollblooded (as dragon magazine is not allowed in my campaign)? this is preferably by level 10, but if necessary can be brought a few levels above there

also, are there any other ways to become immune to damage by level 10?

Lyndworm
2010-08-21, 04:01 PM
There's the Ring of Regeneration, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm pretty sure it's a Core item, too, though it's pretty expensive.

I don't think that there's any other logical way to gain Regeneration as a Warforged, but there is a Half-Troll template in Fiend Folio, I believe. It grants regeneration but can't be applied to Warforged legally. It's specifically applied through a magical procedure, though, not breeding. You could talk to your DM about applying it (though I doubt that this build will ever make it within ten feet of a legitimate DM :smalltongue:).

Halae
2010-08-21, 04:04 PM
There's the Ring of Regeneration, which does exactly what it says on the tin. I'm pretty sure it's a Core item, too, though it's pretty expensive.

I don't think that there's any other logical way to gain Regeneration as a Warforged, but there is a Half-Troll template in Fiend Folio, I believe. It grants regeneration but can't be applied to Warforged legally. It's specifically applied through a magical procedure, though, not breeding. You could talk to your DM about applying it (though I doubt that this build will ever make it within ten feet of a legitimate DM :smalltongue:).

no worries about getting it close to the DM. You should see the cheese the other players are pulling off.

anyways, he won't allow half-troll, I already checked, and it gives fast healing rather than regen. and ring of regeneration only speeds up natural healing a bit, not enough to matter in a fight, and it doesn't convert damage to nonlethal either, I believe, which makes it a bit moot anyway

Hirax
2010-08-21, 04:19 PM
Half-golem (clay) from MM2 gets you pretty darn close. Immunity to spells, supernatural abilities, piercing damage, and slashing damage is a pretty broad spectrum.

FMArthur
2010-08-21, 04:23 PM
Is there a way for you to be a non-warforged and trick your way past the feat or PrC requirements? I think there's something changelings can take...

Lyndworm
2010-08-21, 04:24 PM
no worries about getting it close to the DM. You should see the cheese the other players are pulling off.

anyways, he won't allow half-troll, I already checked, and it gives fast healing rather than regen. and ring of regeneration only speeds up natural healing a bit, not enough to matter in a fight, and it doesn't convert damage to nonlethal either, I believe, which makes it a bit moot anyway
Well, then... Nevermind. :smallredface:

Halae
2010-08-21, 04:30 PM
Half-golem (clay) from MM2 gets you pretty darn close. Immunity to spells, supernatural abilities, piercing damage, and slashing damage is a pretty broad spectrum.

very true. I'll have to check with the DM on that one

Moriato
2010-08-21, 04:48 PM
It's pretty clear the the designers didn't want you to be able to both have regeneration, and be immune to non-lethal damage, and for once, they actually did a pretty good job of making it hard to get both, barring DM intervention.

There is one creature that I know of that has both, the Atropal, and because of that you can only deal damage to it with "good weapons or sentient weapons (or otherwise living weapons)" which defeat its regeneration, and even then it still has dr 15/good and silver and epic.

You might be able to do it by having a character that has regeneration, and then becomes a Necropolitan. Becoming undead makes you immune to non-lethal damage, but it also makes you lose your con score, which probably causes you to lose your regeneration, depending on how you interpret this:

A creature must have a Constitution score to have the regeneration ability.

It doesn't actually say you lose the regeneration ability if you lose your con score, but that's probably the intent. The Atropal breaks this rule because... well there's no reason given, it just does.

Halae
2010-08-21, 04:50 PM
It's pretty clear the the designers didn't want you to be able to both have regeneration, and be immune to non-lethal damage, and for once, they actually did a pretty good job of making it hard to get both, barring DM intervention.

There is one creature that I know of that has both, the Atropal, and because of that you can only deal damage to it with "good weapons or sentient weapons (or otherwise living weapons)" which defeat its regeneration, and even then it still has dr 15/good and silver and epic.

You might be able to do it by having a character that has regeneration, and then becomes a Necropolitan. Becoming undead makes you immune to non-lethal damage, but it also makes you lose your con score, which probably causes you to lose your regeneration, depending on how you interpret this:

It doesn't actually say you lose the regeneration ability if you lose your con score, but that's probably the intent. The Atropal breaks this rule because... well there's no reason given, it just does.

where is the atropal? and does it have a listed LA?

Moriato
2010-08-21, 04:53 PM

You can fint it Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm) but it's an Epic creature, so no LA, and not really viable for PCs.

Edit: I think there's a weaker version, the "Atropal Scion", but still not meant to be played, I don't think, and I can't quite remember where it's found. I don't think those have regeneration, either

gomipile
2010-08-21, 04:58 PM

Do you mind if I quote that in my signature?

Also, the stats for the Atropal are here: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#atropal

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-21, 05:24 PM
It's not usable as a PC, but the Ghost Tarrasque was the most insanely hard fight ever. We were almost TPK'd, until I found a solution:

Keep using Daze, various Stuns and the like to hold it off for ten minutes so that the Cleric could cast Resurrection on it. Seriously, who would think of that other than me?

Halae
2010-08-21, 05:40 PM
Do you mind if I quote that in my signature?

of course, go ahead

gomipile
2010-08-21, 08:17 PM
of course, go ahead

Much appreciated.

Oslecamo
2010-08-21, 08:20 PM
It's not usable as a PC, but the Ghost Tarrasque was the most insanely hard fight ever. We were almost TPK'd, until I found a solution:

Keep using Daze, various Stuns and the like to hold it off for ten minutes so that the Cleric could cast Resurrection on it. Seriously, who would think of that other than me?

Out of curiosity, how did you bypass the ghost's immunity to stuns since it's an undead and stuff? They're pretty much impossible do disable besides anti-undead stuff and daze.

Talon Sky
2010-08-21, 08:43 PM
High Damage Reduction can help if you're going down the non-warforged path....armors and magical items that grant such can help you out. :)

TaintedLight
2010-08-21, 09:07 PM
I'm looking at way my character can become immune to damage, and the things that really struck me was a warforged can become immune to nonlethal damage through a feat or the warforged juggernaut prestige class, and regeneration turns all but a few damage types into nonlethal damage. is there any way to get regeneration on a warforged without trollblooded (as dragon magazine is not allowed in my campaign)? this is preferably by level 10, but if necessary can be brought a few levels above there

also, are there any other ways to become immune to damage by level 10?

It's not strict immunity, but you are DAMNED hard to kill as a Crusader with Stone Power, especially at low levels.

dextercorvia
2010-08-21, 10:18 PM
Note, the feat requires you to not have regeneration. Warforged Juggernaut 2 is okay though.

TaintedLight
2010-08-21, 10:20 PM
There's also the Vile Death spell. SpC version makes you immune to death, so who cares how much damage you've taken :smallbiggrin:?

Tael
2010-08-21, 10:24 PM
The Delay Death spell combined with Beastland Ferocity can make you immune to damage provided you have a way to heal back all the damage you've taken.

Halae
2010-08-21, 11:51 PM
what is Stone Power? where is it?

TaintedLight
2010-08-21, 11:56 PM
Stone Power is a feat from ToB that allows you to subtract a number equal to your BAB or 5, whichever is less, from your attacks for the round to gain +X temp HP for one round, where X is 2 times the accepted penalty. That means your delayed damage pool is emptying into your temporary hit points and any DR you have will apply to the whole pool, not hit-by-hit.

Halae
2010-08-22, 12:13 AM
Stone Power is a feat from ToB that allows you to subtract a number equal to your BAB or 5, whichever is less, from your attacks for the round to gain +X temp HP for one round, where X is 2 times the accepted penalty. That means your delayed damage pool is emptying into your temporary hit points and any DR you have will apply to the whole pool, not hit-by-hit.

so, if I have this right, you get hit for, say, 10 damage and you only have a delayed damage pool of 5, then your temporary hit poins (which you likely have about 10 of) take all the damage that flows over the top instead. then, next round, you can drain that remaining 5 points into a new set of temporary hit points next round? Wow. Too bad you can't increase stone power's amount... unless you can? Is there a way to break this further?

TaintedLight
2010-08-22, 12:17 AM
so, if I have this right, you get hit for, say, 10 damage and you only have a delayed damage pool of 5, then your temporary hit poins (which you likely have about 10 of) take all the damage that flows over the top instead. then, next round, you can drain that remaining 5 points into a new set of temporary hit points next round? Wow. Too bad you can't increase stone power's amount... unless you can? Is there a way to break this further?

You have it exactly. What you could theoretically do for more Steely Resolve abuse is get enough wizard to get Polymorph, then take Minor Shapechange. Swift action to gain 10 temp HP, though you lose a lot of crusader that way. I'm not sure how else one can break Stone Power, but there is probably someone else around here more fluent in cheese than I.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-22, 12:41 AM
Out of curiosity, how did you bypass the ghost's immunity to stuns since it's an undead and stuff? They're pretty much impossible do disable besides anti-undead stuff and daze.

DM Forgetfulness. Just Kidding, We used Daze, Hide from Undead, Wall of Force, anything we could do to keep it there and not Disrupting our Cleric. Most of the "Stuns" were nonstandard. The thing was Impossible to kill otherwise. Eventually we gave up setting traps and had the Sorcerer use Time Stop and Spam Summon Monster Spells. This was able to hold it off for a while. For the rest of it we just used daze and hoped it failed its save.

Coidzor
2010-08-22, 12:41 AM
What you could theoretically do for more Steely Resolve abuse is get enough wizard to get Polymorph, then take Minor Shapechange. Swift action to gain 10 temp HP, though you lose a lot of crusader that way.

That's what Jade Phoenix Mage is for, right?

TaintedLight
2010-08-22, 12:43 AM
That's what Jade Phoenix Mage is for, right?

JPM definitely helps, but losing all of that Steely Resolve improvement is what's hurting. The more of that he gets and the more temp HP he can achieve, the more solid an idea this becomes.

olentu
2010-08-22, 01:03 AM
DM Forgetfulness. Just Kidding, We used Daze, Hide from Undead, Wall of Force, anything we could do to keep it there and not Disrupting our Cleric. Most of the "Stuns" were nonstandard. The thing was Impossible to kill otherwise. Eventually we gave up setting traps and had the Sorcerer use Time Stop and Spam Summon Monster Spells. This was able to hold it off for a while. For the rest of it we just used daze and hoped it failed its save.

Er daze the cantrip.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-22, 01:09 AM
Yes. Daze the Cantrip. For the record, that sorcerer's Charisma was somewhere in the 40's without enhancements.

olentu
2010-08-22, 01:20 AM
Yes. Daze the Cantrip. For the record, that sorcerer's Charisma was somewhere in the 40's without enhancements.

Hmm how did you bypass the target line.

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-22, 01:25 AM
Hmm how did you bypass the target line.

Shush. My DM might be reading this.

Soranar
2010-08-22, 02:04 AM
the IKEA tarrasque (google it) was pretty hard to kill

it was basically a stacking of templates

lernean (only heads can be damaged must be burnt or acid to kill heads otherwise they come back)
multiheaded (duh)
some sort of fire immunity (forget what source)

you can get it done for LA +8 if you pick a small enough race (if I remember right) but the smaller the race the less heads (and weaker you get)

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-22, 02:06 AM
I believe the classic for a player is to play a Half-Green-Dragon War Troll. You just need Necropolitan and you are set to go.

JeminiZero
2010-08-22, 04:57 AM
I believe the classic for a player is to play a Half-Green-Dragon War Troll. You just need Necropolitan and you are set to go.

Wartroll has so much HD and LA its pretty much unusable for a PC. The base Wartroll is ECL 18, and adding half dragon bumps it to ECL 21. Its only usable as an indestructable DM plot device (see Emerald Legion in my sig). Furthermore going Necropolitan causes you to lose your Con score, which arguably removes Regeneration.

The cheapest way for a PC to get regen is to pick up the Troll Blooded feat, but thats fom Dragon Magazine and not likely to be allowed.

Wings of Peace
2010-08-22, 05:00 AM
Without Troll-Blooded you're going to be VERY hard pressed to make the idea work easily. May I suggest the easier route of Cleric 5/Dweomer Keeper 6/X 9.

This will allow you to DMM Persist both Beastland Ferocity and Delay Death as Supernatural abilities making them un-dispellable. Furthermore, they will still function in an anti-magic field (that you will make yourself) because you will be an Initiate of Mystra.

Alternatively if your DM allows Archivists to qualify for Initiate of Mystra (which from a flavor standpoint makes a lot of sense in my opinion) take Archivist 5/Dweomer Keeper 6/X 9

BladeofOblivion
2010-08-22, 05:14 AM
To be fair, I said "classic." Not "Efficient." For DM's, the aforementioned ghost Tarrasque is the evilest PC Killer ever.