PDA

View Full Version : RAW difference between a spell and its effect? [3.5]

gomipile
2010-08-21, 05:05 PM
A DM I know has ruled against having feats/class features which affect the healing done by a spell affecting the healing done by vigor because it is not done by the spell, but by the fast healing effect granted by the spell.

Rule 0 aside, is his interpretation true according to RAW? I don't care which answer is true, I just want to know what you think is true by RAW, since he tries to stick as closely to the RAW as he can.

Malfunctioned
2010-08-21, 05:10 PM
That's how I would do it. Fast Healing is an ability that the spell temporarily grants you, not a healing effect.

gomipile
2010-08-21, 07:05 PM
Okay. What about the Spell Caltrops? Is the damage done by the spell? Does the damage trigger feats which require a spell to do damage, like Fell Drain?

HunterOfJello
2010-08-21, 07:32 PM
Conjuration spells are tricky. Most summon items or materials from somewhere else to be used by the mage in question. Since the mage summons real materials or items, they aren't actually magic (the magic part was conjuring them).

For instance, an Orb of Acid conjured and thrown at an enemy is not a magical attack. There is no saving throw or spell resistance involved, because you are not dealing with a magical spell, you are dealing with a ball of acid being thrown directly into your face.

~

Caltops the spell is a Conjuration Spell that summons some normal mundane caltrops, that just happen to dissapear after a short while.