PDA

View Full Version : [3.5/PF] Low-magic: Banning higher level spells?

Rixx
2010-08-21, 07:02 PM
Most of us know that in 3.5, spellcasters outpace warriors fairly quickly. One of the ways this is commonly solved is to use the "E6" variant, which limits spellcasters to third level spells only - and (in Pathfinder at least, where the change takes place later) that seems to do the trick.

However, I noticed that in the Pathfinder advanced player's guide, a lot of the warrior class variants get really cool abilities at later levels - abilities that would be cooler if you didn't get them at a point where the spellcasters have more or less outmoded you.

So I was wondering - has anyone ever reduced or halted the spellcasters' spell progression in order to keep their power level more in line with the standard warrior classes? How did it work out? At what level to spells start appearing that are overpowered and ridiculous?

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-08-21, 07:22 PM
Generally, it's level 4 spells that really let casters start pulling ahead of martial types. Polymorph, dimension door, phantasmal killer, and the like are a pretty significant bunch of "firsts"--first shapechanging spell, first teleportation, first SoD, etc.--whereas 2nds and 3rd don't represent the same kind of break.

One option would simply be to give every single casting class the bard spells/day progression, with a spells known progression appropriate to the class. That won't stop casters from outpacing martial types eventually, but it'll definitely stretch out the "sweet spot" where they're somewhat comparable in power.

true_shinken
2010-08-21, 07:24 PM
In my game world, there are no spells above 6th level.

Tael
2010-08-22, 12:30 AM
Indeed, I made a re-tooled Adept that can get spell like a wizard. Needs some class abilities though.