PDA

View Full Version : Battle Psion [3.5 Alternate Class Feature]

Temotei
2010-08-21, 08:24 PM
Battle Psion
Some psions feel the need to protect themselves in martial combat more than others. This need fuels them, allowing them to replace some knowledge of psionics with knowledge of combat situations and abilities.
The battle psion class feature allows the psion to fall back on some fighter abilities if they are unable to keep their distance or are unable to manifest powers; however, these abilities are minor, keeping the master manifester just that--a manifester.
Level: Psion 1st.
Replaces: If you select this class feature, you do not gain bonus psionic, metapsionic, or item creation feats.
Benefit: You gain the fighter's bonus feat list in place of your normal list of feats.

DrWeird
2010-08-21, 09:31 PM
Unfortunately, considering their hit die and martial prowess, fighter bonus feats will just just square wheels on a glass cannon, only without the psionic feats, using said glass cannon without aiming - if you get my drift.

Temotei
2010-08-21, 09:34 PM
Unfortunately, considering their hit die and martial prowess, fighter bonus feats will just just square wheels on a glass cannon, only without the psionic feats, using said glass cannon without aiming - if you get my drift.

This is more of a continuation of a wizard alternate class feature on the SRD than anything. The only thing is, this is slightly better, since the psion doesn't lose Scribe Scroll or anything like it. Then again, that's not much of a difference.

DrWeird
2010-08-21, 09:51 PM
Well, as much as people would like it, fighter bonus feats solve very little - look at the fighter, no less. Your best bet is simply making a Psychic Warrior; you get the martial prowess, and the psionic abilities. If a Psion takes this, it won't really make him any better for the wear; the hit die and melee prowess given to him normally are insufficient to, even with bonus feats, make him a martial character with full psionic ability. It's like the situation with the Lurk and the Psychic Rogue, only in reverse. As for making it a placeholder for the wizard alternate class feature, they both make their given class pretty inefficient.

Temotei
2010-08-21, 10:03 PM
Well, as much as people would like it, fighter bonus feats solve very little - look at the fighter, no less. Your best bet is simply making a Psychic Warrior; you get the martial prowess, and the psionic abilities. If a Psion takes this, it won't really make him any better for the wear; the hit die and melee prowess given to him normally are insufficient to, even with bonus feats, make him a martial character with full psionic ability.

I know.

As for making it a placeholder for the wizard alternate class feature, they both make their given class pretty inefficient.

Generally. There are some cases where that's less true, such as multiclass characters and gestalt.

Some people may like this; some may not. Either way, it's there, just like the wizard variant. Whether for flavor or for other uses, this alternate class feature will be used by someone...hopefully. :smallamused:

DrWeird
2010-08-21, 10:36 PM
One thing that could be done, is shift the psion's power pool into a pure offensive and armoring set - that is, spells that make force armor and spraying lightning and swords, etc.

Gear his bonus feats towards maximizing damage, maybe a few ones, and convert him entirely into a pure combat machine. Naturally, along with turning the only spells he can select into self-defense and offense spells, give him some other advantages. It's always good to expand.

Temotei
2010-08-21, 10:44 PM
One thing that could be done, is shift the psion's power pool into a pure offensive and armoring set - that is, spells that make force armor and spraying lightning and swords, etc.

Gear his bonus feats towards maximizing damage, maybe a few ones, and convert him entirely into a pure combat machine. Naturally, along with turning the only spells he can select into self-defense and offense spells, give him some other advantages. It's always good to expand.

That would be a class variant/entirely new class. Since this is just an alternate class feature, it won't be here.

Although, a psionic warmage would be kind of cool. :smallamused:

Lix Lorn
2010-08-22, 10:18 AM
Although, a psionic warmage would be kind of cool. :smallamused:
If I make that now, it is your fault.

DrWeird
2010-08-22, 11:56 AM
The best part being the warmage design is already laid out - all one would have to do is make the psionic power list and fix the power point pools.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-22, 12:27 PM
Ah, but: Warmage kinda sucks.
...course, I could just base it off mine. XD

DrWeird
2010-08-22, 05:03 PM
No, not literally *the* warmage with psionics, but simply the design of the warmage; that is, offensive lists and class layouts. Of course, any personal flavor on a War Psion is up to the brewer.

Temotei
2010-08-22, 06:55 PM
No, not literally *the* warmage with psionics, but simply the design of the warmage; that is, offensive lists and class layouts. Of course, any personal flavor on a War Psion is up to the brewer.

I'd make it more interesting than a port from arcane to psionics. That's kind of boring.

I think I'll do that, actually.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-22, 07:26 PM
...awesome, if you do it, I might not have to. XD

Bulwer
2010-08-23, 10:38 AM
I'd play that. It'd be like a Kineticist, but more focused. I don't think I've seen any thematic power lists like that before.

Mongoose87
2010-08-23, 12:29 PM
Who will make the Psionic Rainbow Servant to make the Psionic Warmage rule supreme?

jiriku
2010-08-23, 01:10 PM
Since the couatl is psionic, that's actually thematically appropriate too.

Mongoose87
2010-08-23, 06:37 PM
Since the couatl is psionic, that's actually thematically appropriate too.

Oooh, ooh, so we give them Cleric spells as Psionic powers of the equivalent level?