PDA

View Full Version : [D20 Modern] Gunslinger question

Vorpalbob
2010-08-21, 10:02 PM
Weapon Focus: At 2nd level, a Gunslinger gains the weapon focus class feature, providing the benefits of the feat with the same name. The Gunslinger must choose a specific personal firearm, such as a Walther PPK or an M4 carbine. You add +1 to all attack rolls you make using the selected personal firearm.

My question is; does the Gunslinger have to own the gun in question? How much access does he need to it to choose it for Weapon Focus? Logic dictates that it must be a weapon that he can train with any time he wants, like the sidearm of Department-7, but the way it is worded, he could just be walking through a gun store, point at a gun he has never seen before, and get +1 to all attacks with it.

One of my players wants to get this ability for a weapon he only gets to use during special missions, which occur about once a month. Between missions he has no access to it. Could he choose it?

TaintedLight
2010-08-21, 10:06 PM
I would say that, seeing as proficiency in a certain weapon implies competence at its use (which in turn implies training and experience with said weapon), there is no immediately compelling reason to say no. As long as the character is actually proficient, I would give it to him. Though I find it a subpar choice if he only gets to use the weapon occasionally...

Vorpalbob
2010-08-21, 10:22 PM
Though I find it a subpar choice if he only gets to use the weapon occasionally...

He plans to steal it eventually.

TaintedLight
2010-08-21, 10:24 PM
He plans to steal it eventually.

That would make it a better choice then, wouldn't it :smallbiggrin:?

Bogardan_Mage
2010-08-21, 10:34 PM
Rules as written, he can choose any personal firearm he likes. However, you're the GM so you have every right to rule that this class feature represents significant experience and familiarity with the weapon and is therefore unavaliable without the ability to gain said experience. If you do, though, I'd suggest giving him the option of changing his choice (after a certain time of in-game training, say, 2 weeks) as it doesn't really seem right that he could only ever be familiar with firearms he owned at the exact time he took his second level of Gunslinger.

TaintedLight
2010-08-21, 10:39 PM
Rules as written, he can choose any personal firearm he likes. However, you're the GM so you have every right to rule that this class feature represents significant experience and familiarity with the weapon and is therefore unavaliable without the ability to gain said experience. If you do, though, I'd suggest giving him the option of changing his choice (after a certain time of in-game training, say, 2 weeks) as it doesn't really seem right that he could only ever be familiar with firearms he owned at the exact time he took his second level of Gunslinger.

Also totally acceptable. Basically, if you feel like he has significant experience and competence with the weapon, he should be able to do it. I also like the option of changing the specialization later.

Sir_Mopalot
2010-08-22, 05:21 AM
Technically speaking what this ability means is that when you gain the ability you must choose one specific model of gun to gain the bonus for. He does not have to own the gun at the time, although he would be foolish to pick it for a gun he does not own. The "personal" part of the line distinguishes it from crew-served weapons, such as a HMG or tank cannon.