PDA

View Full Version : Wait, so War of the Lance is 3.5?

Ozreth
2010-08-21, 11:32 PM
Was thinking about how I would like to play a Dragonlance game but was under the impression that all of the Dragonlance material is 2e. I then opened my friends War of the Lance book and saw that it was printed in 2004...which would make it 3.5.

Has anybody run a 3.5 campaign with the DLCS and WotL? Also, are there any DL modules out there?

BobVosh
2010-08-21, 11:37 PM
I think the first 3.5 in your paragraph is suppose to be 3.0.

I too was under the impression that all DL is 3.0, maybe that was finished before the release of 3.5 but delayed publishing until after wards?

Does it matter, in either case? I have played in a DLCS and a few other splat books for DL, although I find it hard to recall which ones. Probably although I don't know. I found quite a few with a quick google search for AD&D 2ed if you don't mind updating.

Ozreth
2010-08-21, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the catch, and actually I meant 2e, because I alwasy hear people talking about 2e Dragonlance games.

And in wikipedia it says that the rule set required for War of the Lance is 3.5...

Philistine
2010-08-22, 12:14 AM
I'm currently a player in a 3.5E WotL PbP on these very forums. There's not a ton of DL material out there, I think due to licensing issues.

KillianHawkeye
2010-08-22, 01:00 AM
I too was under the impression that all DL is 3.0, maybe that was finished before the release of 3.5 but delayed publishing until after wards?

Actually, the DragonLance Campaign Setting book was published in August 2003 at the beginning of 3.5 Edition.

Fizban
2010-08-22, 02:07 AM
Dragonlance has setting books for both 3.X and 2e, heck maybe even 1e for all I know. I never noticed anything specifically 3.0 about any of them, and I think the main setting book mentions cold iron, so I'd say they're all 3.5. And of course there's the publishing info ^ looked up.

Ozreth
2010-08-22, 02:51 AM
Awesome. Gotta reread the novels here soon and possible starting a campaign. Krynn is great : )

wxdruid
2010-08-22, 05:42 AM
Yes, there are 3 War of the Lance campaign books. They follow the outlines of the first 3 books of DragonLance.

After a year and some months, my PbP group here on GitP made it to Chapter 2 of the first book. I managed to get a great group of players who have been great at posting, PbP just takes a long time. :smalltongue: I look forward to another year (or more) posting with them.

War of the Lance Chronicles
-Dragons of Autumn
-Dragons of Winter
-Dragons of Spring

more information (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dragonlance_modules_and_sourcebooks)

hamlet
2010-08-23, 07:56 AM
The Dragonlance setting of Krynn was originally created in the 70's as an AD&D 1e series of modules. They are alternately hailed as fabulous and engrossing story modules, or the detritus of diseased and idiotic gaming minds. Either way, the DM and players will trip over the rails in it quite frequently as they are probably the first real example of a "modern" adventure path (one could make arguments about the GDQ series being a path, but the DL series is very plainly a path).

Not terribly long after, the Dragonlance Adventures hardback setting book was released and was the first time the setting material was codified in its own text absent the module info. Despite some low points (i.e., the introduction of really stupid mechanics for the Knights of Solamnia that lasted forever), it was generally better received than the original modules, probably because an entire generation of gamers had gotten hooked on the novels by then.

Sometime after 2nd edition rolled around, the Tales of the Lance boxed set was released, which was a reprint and expansion of the original Dragonlance Adventures hardback. Along with it, over the ensuing years, a stack of modules of varying quality and an expanded boxed set for another continent appeared. Dragonlance's heydey so to speak.

Then came the dark times . . .

For some unknowable reason, the corporate and creative "minds" at TSR decided to blow the setting up and create the Saga System for the 5th Age. It was near universally reviled, and rightly so.

In 2004 (I think that was the year), Weiss managed to get hold of the property license for Dragonlance again and re-inaugurated it for 3rd edition. There was much rejoicing, even though some of us cared little for the changes made to the setting thanks to the 5th Age cataclysm and the new rules that needed to be fit in.

I've lost track of what came afterward.

IMO, the best way to handle the game is to treat it as a standard D&D setting and ignore most of the special rules that have polluted things over the years. Pick an age to play in and pick an appropriate setting book/boxed set to utilize (I recommend the 2nd edition Tales of the Lance boxed set simply because it has a lot of the changes delineated throughout) and go from there. And, for the love of all that is holy, don't treat the Knights of Solamnia as a special class or prestige class. It's really not worth it.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that the entirety of the War of the Lance story line can be had in the original AD&D modules, and it's generally better expanded and laid out compared to the 3.x books as I see it. The 3.x books seem . . . condensed a bit.

Gryffon
2010-08-23, 08:34 AM
For the original modules, you'll want to look for "Dragons of..." That was the original adventure path that covers what is in the Dragonlance Chronicles(+ some additional portions that were skirted over in between books).

They did re-release them as Dragonlance Classics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance_modules_DL_series (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonlance_modules_%28DL_series%29) has a good listing for what was released.