PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 04:08 AM
I have two choices.

Archivist 10

Cloistered Cleric 1/Archivist 9

However, I cannot take Undeath or Planning domains due to DM and deity restrictions. This affects my potential for getting DMM - Persistent.

The domains I can take are:

Magic, Spell, Oracle, Mind, Trickery, Travel, Dragon, Balance, Nobility, Knowledge, Strength, Wealth

If I went with option 2, then Cloistered Cleric gives me Knowledge Domain automatically which leaves me 2 others to choose from.

I will already have the Oracle Domain once I get Divine Oracle PrC and I also already have the Travel Domain from my PrC.

So what should I do?

ex cathedra
2010-08-22, 04:14 AM
Do you literally have no choices aside from those two, or are those two simply the only two that you've come up with?

If possible, I would suggest Archivist 9/Sacred Exorcist 1.

TaintedLight
2010-08-22, 04:16 AM
Occam's Razor is telling me to suggest Archivist 10, especially since that extra MM feat is a tasty choice.

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 04:28 AM
Do you literally have no choices aside from those two, or are those two simply the only two that you've come up with?

If possible, I would suggest Archivist 9/Sacred Exorcist 1.

Yes. I have already suggested Sacred Exorcist and been told no as it doesn't fit the character.

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 04:30 AM
Occam's Razor is telling me to suggest Archivist 10, especially since that extra MM feat is a tasty choice.

Well does getting that outweigh 2 domains, a few more skill points, and bardic knowledge?

Plus I can then swap the Knowledge Devotion feat out as I can take it for free instead of the Knowledge domain power, thus saving me a feat so I can make up for that missing MM feat.

ex cathedra
2010-08-22, 04:36 AM
That really is a bummer. In that case, I agree with TaintedLight; Archivist 10. You're that much closer to the tastiness that is Archivist 11 afterwards, neh?

Edit:
Yeah, but you don't get any especially nice domains, Archivist 11 is a really nice place to be, and you lose a spell level by dipping cleric.

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 04:37 AM
This is my planned gestalt progression:

Level

1 Wizard / Cloistered Cleric
2 Wizard / Archivist
3 Wizard / Archivist
4 Wizard / Archivist
5 Wizard / Archivist
6 Singer of Concordance / Archivist
7 Singer of Concordance / Archivist
8 Singer of Concordance / Archivist
9 Singer of Concordance / Archivist
10 Singer of Concordance / Archivist
11 Singer of Concordance / Archivist
12 Divine Oracle / Archivist
13 Divine Oracle / Archivist
14 Divine Oracle / Archivist
15 Divine Oracle / Contemplative
16 Paragnostic Apostle /Contemplative
17 Paragnostic Apostle / Contemplative
18 Paragnostic Apostle / Contemplative
19 Paragnostic Apostle / Contemplative
20 Divine Oracle / Paragnostic Apostle

This has been agreed with the DM. Though currently I am Archivist at Level 1 but have the choice of changing to Cloistered Cleric if I want.

EDIT: I would have to remove something from the divine side if I want to get Archivist 14... probably a level of Contemplative, though I could swap out the Contemplative with something else since I am restricted on the domains I can have. The contemplative's access to multiple domains doesn;'t really help as most of the domains I have left are not that great.

I am possibly thinking of Dweomerkeeper or Loremaster as replacements.

kamikasei
2010-08-22, 04:50 AM
Is that double PrC progression from level 15 on going to be legal?

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 04:59 AM
Is that double PrC progression from level 15 on going to be legal?

The DM is happy with it so thats ok as far as I am concerned.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-22, 05:11 AM
Be sure you've visited the Frog God's Fane in CS to get the Skill Focus: Kn: Religion prerequisite for Divine Oracle for 2,000 gp without spending a feat on it. That could get you an extra feat to go toward something you need.

Have you considered using Incantatrix 4 to pick up some extra metamagic along with Metamagic Effect? You can get Iron Will via the Otyugh Hole from CS for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it to qualify. Reading the class description from both PGtF and MoF, it has a strong tradition of opposing extraplanar intrusions, thus that could be your door into Sacred Exorcist as well.

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 05:32 AM
Be sure you've visited the Frog God's Fane in CS to get the Skill Focus: Kn: Religion prerequisite for Divine Oracle for 2,000 gp without spending a feat on it. That could get you an extra feat to go toward something you need.

Have you considered using Incantatrix 4 to pick up some extra metamagic along with Metamagic Effect? You can get Iron Will via the Otyugh Hole from CS for 3,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it to qualify. Reading the class description from both PGtF and MoF, it has a strong tradition of opposing extraplanar intrusions, thus that could be your door into Sacred Exorcist as well.

The character concept is "a seeker and keeper of knowledge". I am not sure that the Frog God's Fane or the Otyugh Hole exist as this is the DM's own world.

Wings of Peace
2010-08-22, 06:05 AM
How set in stone is your character? Because if you're going for a knowledge and secrets focus I think you're on the right track with Archivist but for the other side instead of going arcane you might do better to just get more of the same and go for something akin to Archivist//Cloistered Cleric.

As an example that may or may not be too much for your campaign (just remember to take Academic Priest and Magical Training at first level, take Academic Priest twice at first level if your DM allows flaws):

1: Archivist 1// Cloistered Cleric 1
2: Archivist 2//Cloistered Cleric 2
3: Archivist 3//Cloistered Cleric 3
4: Archivist 4//Cloistered Cleric 4
5: Archivist 5//Cloistered Cleric 5
6: Dweomer Keeper 1//Cloistered Cleric 6
7: Dweomer Keeper 2//Cloistered Cleric 7
8: Dweomer Keeper 3//Cloistered Cleric 8
9: Dweomer Keeper 4//Cloistered Cleric 9
10: Dweomer Keeper 5//Cloistered Cleric 10
11: Dweomer Keeper 6//Cloistered Cleric 11
12: Dweomer Keeper 7//Cloistered Cleric 12
13: Dweomer Keeper 8//Cloistered Cleric 13
14: Dweomer Keeper 9//Cloistered Cleric 14
15: Dweomer Keeper 10//Cloistered Cleric 15
16: Paragnostic Apostle 1//Cloistered Cleric 16
17: Paragnostic Apostle 2//Cloistered Cleric 17
18: Paragnostic Apostle 3//Cloistered Cleric 18
19: Paragnostic Apostle 4//Cloistered Cleric 19
20: Paragnostic Apostle 5//Cloistered Cleric 20

This setup gives you all the casting and turn undead goodness of a Cleric with some extra domains to boot while your Archivist side can be used for those exotic spells from other divine spellcasting classes with Dweomerkeeper giving you spontaneous access to panic button spells. Technically you could also take Initiate of Mystra for anti-magic field casting but that may be taking things too far and your DM might nix it on account of Mystra might not exist in his world.

Yora
2010-08-22, 06:31 AM
Occam's Razor is telling me to suggest Archivist 10
I see what you did there. :smallbiggrin:

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-22, 06:35 AM
The character concept is "a seeker and keeper of knowledge". I am not sure that the Frog God's Fane or the Otyugh Hole exist as this is the DM's own world.

Maybe he seeks and keeps knowledge in order to prevent an extraplanar invasion. In that case, both Sacred Exorcist and Incantatrix would be fitting.

The Frog God's Fane is a ruin containing a chamber filled with ancient lore. Upon discovering it and studying its secrets for 10 minutes, you can make a DC 15 Int check to gain an insight into truths you never realized were linked. If successful, you permanently gain Skill Focus: Knowledge for either History, Nature, or Religion. As with all such locations, if you're starting out higher than 1st level you can subtract a set amount of gold from your starting funds to say your character has already accomplished this, in this case it costs 2,000 gp, otherwise if you find and visit the location during play you get its benefit for free. It can be adapted to work with any ancient temple or religious site dedicated to a now-dead god, if that would better fit the setting.

The Otyugh Hole can be any cave filled with otyughs, and you have to stay in there for a week to gain its benefit. It's only necessary if you need Iron Will, such as to qualify for a prestige class like Incantatrix.

kestrel404
2010-08-22, 07:02 AM
You seem to have decided on the Cloistered Cleric dip. I happen to agree - you've got a full wizard progression to help you out on the spellcasting front, and you really want as many turn undead attempts as possible for DMM(Persist).

If you're going to be putting some points towards Cha, I suggest the nobility domain. After that, either Spell (for some nice domain spells, I happen to like anyspell), or else Balance for AC boosting as needed.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-08-22, 07:26 AM
You can learn and cast Bone Talisman (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mb/20040721a) to gain the ability to turn undead. Put some Unguent of Timelessness on your spell foci, and it will last 365 times longer than normal (about 60 hours per caster level). Another interpretation would be that no time goes by for the coated object until a year has passed, and then it spontaneously ages one day, in which case each casting would last an entire year. The unguent never wears off so they can be reused indefinitely, and it's cheap so you could have hundreds of bones with unguent on them. Cast it during down time, and take the talismans with you on your adventures.

Paganboy28
2010-08-22, 10:49 AM
Apparently if I go Cloistered Cleric 1 then I get all the level 0 and 1 cleric spells, but i would have to scribe every one into my archivist prayer book (which could end up expensive) for my archivist to cast them.

Plus apart from having to take 1 or 2 Extra Turning feats is the effect of DMM(Persist) actually worth the investment...

1 level behind full archivist, 1 feat for extend spell, 1 feat for DMM, 1 feat for Persistant Spell.

Whereas I could have full archivist and 3 feats spare for other feat stuff.

I am undecided.....