PDA

View Full Version : Monk - DM in need of help (3.5)

Balor01
2010-08-22, 01:52 PM
I am DM-ing a campaign, where PCs are to meet lvl 4, 6 and lvl 8 monks. Problem is, I played clerics, wizards and fighters most of my gaming days and have no idea what feats to use for such a char. Especially lvl 8 is suppose to be the wizened grandmaster (actually a small creature due to its age, but still a human) with just staggering ability (I am thinking one ability that will make PCs gawk like dealing just silly amounts of dmg in one round/evading attacks/something awesome. A lvl 8 Yoda or a lvl 8 old monk from Kung Fu Panda).
Is there anyone, who could give me some ideas regarding feats for these chars (lvl 4 is less of a problem) and - if someone really wants - sketch our martial arts grandmaster a bit more, then just presenting me with a good combo of feats.

tnx

Tael
2010-08-22, 02:08 PM
The best way to do this is not to make the monks Monks, but Unarmed Swordsages, or something Homebrew. USS will look and like actual wuxia monks might, complete with massive leaps to close/get away (Sudden Leap, Leaping Dragon Stance), punch through walls and resist might attacks (Mountain Hammer, Adamantine Body), deliver highly damaging attacks despite apparent feeble bodies (Ruby Nightmare Blade, Insightful Strike), strike pressure points (Strength Draining Strike, various other debuffing strikes), and even flurry and run like a monk (Flashing Sun, that boost that increases move speed).

Jornophelanthas
2010-08-22, 05:06 PM
If you want the grandmaster monk to seriously impress the players, make him about 10 levels higher than the players. This difference alone will be enough to awe the players, regardless of the relative strength or weaknesses of a character class.

In fact, the examples you give are exactly that: characters who have much, much more experience at doing what they do than the main characters of the movies.

Gavinfoxx
2010-08-22, 05:12 PM
The easiest way to do this is have the characters meet Unarmed Swordsages, or some totally optimized monk2/psychic warrior rest characters, or some interesting combination of any of the above...

Tael
2010-08-22, 05:15 PM
If you going to use Tome of Battle, good feats include Weapon Finesse, Shadow Blade (Dex to damage), Adaptive Style (to switch into any maneuver you want + reload), Superior Unarmed Strike (+ unarmed damage) and Snap Kick (Flurry of Blows+).

Other good general feats include Improved Natural Attack (MM), Up the Walls (XPH), and Tashalatora (Secrets of Sarlona) before a multiclass with Psychic Warrior to gain some nice subtle powers for buffing and movement.

Very important: What level are the PCs?

Balor01
2010-08-23, 04:25 AM
@Tael
Players are lvl 4.

Tnx for all the answers :smallsmile:

true_shinken
2010-08-23, 01:03 PM
For your wizened old master, I think using Wis to attack is a must. It just screams Yoda to me.
Easiest way is the Intuitive Attack feat from BoED. Shiba Protector adds Wis to both attack and damage. Paladin with Serenity feat adds Wisdom to saves, which is awesome by itself and very fitting with the theme.
I currently have a Swordsage/Paladin/Shiba Protector in my game and time and he outclasses even the paety's artificer in combat.