PDA

View Full Version : Unseelie Races

Arillius
2010-08-22, 08:00 PM
For a zen archer I'm building, I'll be using what I think is a home brewed race called the mongrel folk. Look wise there extremely varied, and I thought it might be interesting to have appear like an unseelie fey. Only problem is, I don't really know many kinds of fey in general. Does anyone have a website with the some myths or stories, or maybe a list with some descriptions?

Shadowleaf
2010-08-22, 08:02 PM
You can read up on Changeling: The Lost (a game system concerning the offspring of Fae).

Lyndworm
2010-08-22, 08:19 PM
Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy) probably has a lot of information on the fey and their myriad legends.

Mongrelfolk are an actual race, by the way. They're from the book Races of Destiny.

Arillius
2010-08-22, 08:32 PM
Really? Do they offer +2 to con, +2 choice, - 2 cha and all those things about emulating other races and actions?

I was hoping for actual fairy languages. While the mongrel folk might not be the DM's, a great deal of the other things in his world are probably not DnD. I was hoping for some kind of darker fey creature my character might appear like.

FMArthur
2010-08-22, 08:45 PM
Mongrelfolk have +4 Con, -2 Int and -2 Cha. They can emulate other humanoid races automatically for the purpose of magic items and can mimic any sound or voice they've heard (with a Will save to disbelieve, I think).

So while your DM has certainly taken inspiration from the official Mongrelfolk race, he's altered his version quite a bit. Probably for the better, although they are good for their amazing Con at LA +0. Looks like you can get that and some kind of pseudo-changeling crossbreed effect.

Arillius
2010-08-22, 09:06 PM
Changelings are things that have fey blood in them right?

I'm looking for a specific type of fey though, perhaps a list with descriptions of different Unseelie fey.

vicente408
2010-08-22, 09:21 PM
In folklore, a Changeling is a fey child left with human parents in exchange for a stolen human baby. The parents typically won't notice the switch until the changeling grows older and starts showing unnatural features and behavior.

There isn't really a "list" of different kinds of Fae that are specifically labeled Unseelie. Fae folklore can be very inconsistent about what kind of fae looks like what, or what they do. Different stories can depict the same kind of fae as either helpful or mischievous or cruel, or beautiful or ugly, depending on who is telling the story. The only real constant regarding Seelie vs Unseelie is that Seelie fae are more likely to be helpful to humans. But even that isn't a guarantee. Unseelie fae are almost always going to be the mean and nasty kind of fae, that like to trick humans into drowning in rivers or wandering lost in the woods for eternity, or whatever else.

Bottom line is, fae folklore is incredibly hodgepodge and inconsistent, so you're not going to be able to get a straight answer to the question "What is an unseelie fae?" because there isn't one. Some kinds of fae typically associated with unseelie are probably bogles and boggarts, what exactly consitutes a bogle or a boggart still varies wildly, so that still isn't much help.

Arillius
2010-08-22, 09:25 PM
I'm looking for whats generally accepted as a more menacing or malicious kind of fey that's near humanoid in general shape. I'm a list of generally accepted Unseelie fey might provide me with this.

vicente408
2010-08-22, 09:28 PM
See, even shape is wildly inconsistent. An Asrai, for example, is a kind of water fairy that is sometimes descriped as short and squat, or sometimes said to be tall and willowy.

Here's a quote from Wikipedia, though, with regard to fae of the Unseelie court.

The Unseelie (Unholy or Unblessed) Court consists of the malicious and evilly-inclined fairies. Unlike the Seelie Court, no offense is necessary to bring down their assaults.[4] As a group (or "host"), they appear at night and assault travelers, often carrying them through the air, beating them, and forcing them to commit such acts as shooting elfshot at cattle.[5][6] Like the fairies of the Seelie Court are not always benevolent, neither are the faries of the Unseelie Court always evil. However, when forced to choose, they will always prefer to harm—rather than to help—humans. Some of the most common characters in the Unseelie Court are Bogies, Bogles, Boggars, Abbylubbers and Buttery spirits.[7]

Arillius
2010-08-22, 09:35 PM
Not very helpful. In fact less then that.

Alright. An example then. Elf is generally excepted as fey creature like a human with pointy ears, in fantasy settings. I am looking for a myth, whether well known or obscure, that has a generally malicious creature described in it, perhaps a fey, that is in some way similar to human shape.

Pointing out that a bunch myths aren't specific, or that some myths contradict each other in no ways helps me find what I'm looking for.

hamishspence
2010-08-23, 02:31 AM
Redcaps in MM3 are exceptionally malicious fey, with a long history in folklore.

And are roughly humanoid.

HunterOfJello
2010-08-23, 04:13 AM
A LA +0 version of the Shadar Kai would be a fun race to play.

Eldan
2010-08-23, 07:24 AM
Hmm. Well, vaguely humanoid fey:
Leanan Sidhe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leanan_s%C3%ADdhe), The Wild Hunt (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_hunt), sometimes.

hamishspence
2010-08-23, 07:28 AM
There's the Bean Sidhe (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee), but in D&D that's undead rather than fey.

Caliphbubba
2010-08-23, 08:56 AM
http://dicefreaks.superforums.org/viewforum.php?f=13

try looking here for Fae stuff. Don't know how active it is anymore, but they did a lot of good work in the past.

Arillius
2010-08-23, 02:28 PM
Sweet, thanks guys.