PDA

View Full Version : Personal Fridge Brilliance Moments You've Had With OOTS

The Pale King
2010-08-22, 08:09 PM
The Fridge Brilliance (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FridgeBrilliance) is probably my favorite page on TV Tropes. What experiences of Fridge Brilliance have you had with this comic? It can be anything, to reading a punchline and saying "OH! I get it!" a day later, to something that makes the entire comic more meaningful.

For me, my major moment would have to be the comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0496.html) with Roy's brother. While the moment was heartwarming, it seemed to kinda come out of the blue. It didn't really seem to have much to do with the rest of the comic. Then, once I thought about it a little, I realized that it may the have been the single most important event to what type of person Roy became.

Think about it, it's heavily implied that Eric died because of some sort of experiment that Eugene chose to go through with despite being obviously dangerous. Naturally, this may be the biggest reason for the strained relationship between Roy and his father. And obviously, this incident was probably what forever soured him on becoming a wizard.

But it goes further than that. Think about the arc with the Forest Bandits, where Roy originally chooses to go on instead of rescue Elan from the bandits. Now look at the comic (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0162.html), where he has a "My God What Have I Done" moment and goes to rescue Elan. When I first read this, I thought Roy's whole thing about protecting the innocent and weak was standard hero talk. But once I thought about it with the knowledge I had about his brother, it made much more sense. He says himself that he feels like he failed to protect his brother. He wants to make up for his brother's death by protecting as many innocents as possible. That's the real reason why he takes responsibility for stopping Xykon. Because failing to protect his brother from dying gave him a sense of responsibility to save as many innocents as he could.

We know he always admired his grandfather, and after the accident with his brother, he probably compared the two in his mind. He probably compared the hero who saved villages from dragons to the selfish wizard who, in Roy's mind, only cared about getting another spell, no matter who got hurt in the process. After his brother's death, he ultimately decided he wanted to break with his father by following his opposite: his grandfather.

And yes, it goes further still. There's a good reason why Elan was the one that he abandoned and later rescued. Remember which class he said his brother would probably take. Bard. Why do you REALLY think he puts up with Elan? It's because he sees his brother in him. And during the arc with the bandits, he realized that by abandoning Elan, he was becoming like his father, sacrificing an innocent for his own personal gain. The best part of this comes when you remember how Elan views Roy as his big brother. The relationship between the two becomes that much more interesting and touching when you realize that, in a way, Roy sees himself that way too.

Anyone else have some good Fridge Brilliance they'd like to share?

Gift Jeraff
2010-08-22, 09:22 PM
Going further with the Eric/Elan connection, think about how Elan is basically a child that is always causing trouble; Roy "hates" Elan because the idea of an immature bard who looks up to Roy as a brother getting hurt in a careless accident evokes such an awful memory. Now, I'm not sure if all that was planned by Rich or even intentional. I kinda hope it wasn't, because it makes the Roy and Elan jokes more sad than funny in retrospect. :smallfrown:

Goosefarble
2010-08-22, 09:31 PM
It took me months to figure out that Elan was Nale backwards. Thankfully before this strip (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0717.html), or I'd have just felt like an idiot.

Crisis21
2010-08-22, 10:16 PM
Mine occurred because of O-Chul, which is kind of interesting since it was about Miko.

Like alot of people, I hated Miko because she was an overbearing five-letter-word-beginning-with-'B'. She was a Paladin, but a very poor one. What I didn't quite get was that she was written this way very deliberately, not just to poke fun at the class, but to invoke the very same reactions that she did in the readers.

I had some trouble seeing her as a character and not just another unpleasant plot device that happened to be human. However, when O-Chul is talking about how he made the decision to destroy the Gate, and that it was his blade that did it, he also adds on that he won't go any further lest he speak ill of the dead.

Here is a person that almost everyone is cheering for because he is not only badass, but also everything a Paladin is supposed to be, and he's showing compassion for possibly the single most hated character to date in the comic. That was when I realized just how brilliantly Rich had written Miko as a character, and part of the brilliance was that she did spark as much controversy as she did.

I still do not like Miko as a person, but as a character, I now consider her to be one of Rich's more brilliant additions to OotS.

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i294/trytoguess/O-Chul.png:miko:

Marnath
2010-08-22, 10:53 PM
Wow, that stuff about Roy, Elan and Roy's brother is deep, man. Never would have thought of that. My own moment of epiphany was around #690 or so when i happened on the haley cryptogram translations, and went lol wut? Those weren't just gibberish O.o? Specifically the one where she knows something is fishy about their not guilty verdict at their trial.

veti
2010-08-22, 11:44 PM
Going further with the Eric/Elan connection, think about how Elan is basically a child that is always causing trouble; Roy "hates" Elan because the idea of an immature bard who looks up to Roy as a brother getting hurt in a careless accident evokes such an awful memory. Now, I'm not sure if all that was planned by Rich or even intentional. I kinda hope it wasn't, because it makes the Roy and Elan jokes more sad than funny in retrospect. :smallfrown:

We can go even further...

When Elan is separated from Roy, he is capable not only of developing (and executing) quite reasonable plans, but also showing levels of responsibility and forethought far beyond what we normally associate with him. When he is attached to Roy again, he reverts to his childlike persona. (I'm thinking of when he's imprisoned in Cliffport, and again when Roy is dead. We see the beginnings of it even when he's kidnapped by the bandits - everyone assumes he'll be helpless, but in fact he has the situation quite under control in his own way, much to Haley's disgust.)

Roy, unconsciously, infantilises Elan. He expects bards to act like small children, so Elan obliges him. Only when Roy is not present does Elan begin to live up to his own true self.

As for Roy "hating" Elan - who doesn't "hate" having to look out for their kid brother?

Conuly
2010-08-23, 02:58 AM
Roy, unconsciously, infantilises Elan. He expects bards to act like small children, so Elan obliges him. Only when Roy is not present does Elan begin to live up to his own true self.

I don't know. I've read OotPCs, Elan wasn't exactly acting brilliant BEFORE he met Roy either.

My own moment of realization is quite small: I realized one day that when Haley is hiding from Tsukiio she's hiding in a box of something-or-other marked "Imported from Greysky City". Hee :)

The Succubus
2010-08-23, 03:21 AM
Did anyone else think this thread was going to be someone showing off their convention magnet collection?

I wish I had a convention magnet collection. :(

Goosefarble
2010-08-23, 08:27 AM
Did anyone else think this thread was going to be someone showing off their convention magnet collection?

I wish I had a convention magnet collection. :(

Actually I thought he was getting at a secret code that was revealed by printing out a strip and putting it in the fridge for an hour, you know like they used to do with toys?

Fun fact: I didn't notice the second part of the post until I quoted it.

Kish
2010-08-23, 10:43 AM
I don't know. I've read OotPCs, Elan wasn't exactly acting brilliant BEFORE he met Roy either.
Indeed, Roy hired Elan knowing Elan was a bard and expecting him to be one of the best members of the party. It was only when Elan going "Woooooooo!" went on for an oddly long period of time that Roy began to have misgivings. Saying Elan acts like a baby because Roy expects him to very much has the cart before the horse.

And, before that, Elan apparently got ditched by multiple employers, most recently costing the paladin who employed him everything he (the paladin) owned and nearly getting him eaten.

tassaron
2010-08-23, 11:27 AM
Yeah, Elan was pretty dense to begin with. The reason he seems a bit smarter now is just because he's been learning from his surrogate big brother, Roy. Hee! :smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2010-08-23, 11:33 AM
Roy saw elan when he was being genre savy, and mistook elans competence with genre saviness as an indication of his general mental ability.

Marnath
2010-08-23, 10:41 PM
I just had another moment like this, i was looking at strip # 653, and i realized... Tsukiko's slippers are two different colors, matching her mismatched eyes! I love seeing little details i missed when rereading the comic.

Cybertoy00
2010-08-24, 06:55 AM
In the comic where Xykon watches Miko with the Teevo, we see several other paladins. I think one of them was Sir Francois, Elan's previous employer!

DwarvenExodus
2010-08-24, 08:40 AM
I know a guy. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0171.html)
It's Buggy Lou! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0685.html)

Bedinsis
2010-08-24, 10:14 AM
This thread seems to be turning into the "Things you never noticed"-thread.

Orzel
2010-08-24, 06:45 PM
Back to Fridge Brilliance

Ever wondered why OotS spellcasters blast so much and rarely use Control or SoS.

Because they know they live in a plot based world. In a plot based world, save or suck/die spells will only work when the target is either not a threat or someone to be ignored. Charm person will only work on a weaker foe, a secondary target, or a character that will initiate a gag.

Blasting spells still deal damage on success unless the foe has Evasion.

So if V used a major Save or Suck spell on Big X, it would fail 99% of the time. Xyklon would 10 natural 20s in a row. And V knows this and won't waste his spell slots on them.

Kish
2010-08-24, 07:23 PM
So if V used a major Save or Suck spell on Big X, it would fail 99% of the time. Xyklon would 10 natural 20s in a row. And V knows this and won't waste his spell slots on them.
This theory seems hard to reconcile with Vaarsuvius having believed that s/he could crush Xykon without the rest of the Order, including the party leader and the person with the grudge against Xykon.

The Pale King
2010-08-24, 07:57 PM
This theory seems hard to reconcile with Vaarsuvius having believed that s/he could crush Xykon without the rest of the Order, including the party leader and the person with the grudge against Xykon.
Considering s/he was drunk with power at the time, and the fact that, like you said, s/he tried to kill Xykon ALONE, that can be chalked up to a lack of judgement and that V probably considered her far above such small concerns.

Orzel
2010-08-24, 08:05 PM
Quickened Chain Lightning
Empowered Sunburst
Quickened Dim. Anchor
Crushing Hand
Quicken Disintergrate

Guess which of the spells V casted failed. Plus V was too crazy to remember that Anchor and Crushing Hand would fail.

But Xykon was not running anyway so even if it DID work, it would not have mattered.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-24, 11:57 PM
Why exactly would dimensional anchor and crushing hand fail?

Valifor
2010-08-25, 12:05 AM
because the dimensional anchor missed (and would have been useless anyways) and the crushing hand didn't really do anything to slow Xykon down at all, hence it failed.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-25, 12:56 AM
I get why they didn't work, I just don't understand Orzel's point.

Orzel
2010-08-25, 05:36 AM
I get why they didn't work, I just don't understand Orzel's point.

Dimensional anchor and Crushing hand are both powerful spells that shift the fight swiftly to the end if they work.
But since this is a plot based world and those spell would ruin drama, those spell would only work if:
The fight doesn't matter
The target doesn't matter or is very outclassed
It would be funny
OR
The fight is already over.

Because Xykon was still stronger than V AND Xykon is the main villain AND it wouldn't be funny; none of V's Save or Sucks would work.

Damage is frowned upon in real play because if the rules are followed and no one cheats, SoS is faster. In OotSland, damage is better because the "DM" cheats so at least you get half damage or roll nat 20s and the "DM" can't say nothing happened.

Poppy Appletree
2010-08-25, 07:05 AM
Damage is frowned upon in real play

What sort of crazy munchkin adventures do you play? :smallconfused:

Orzel
2010-08-25, 07:42 AM
I'm talking about high level damage spellcasting in real play.

RndmNumGen
2010-08-25, 09:15 AM
Ohh... I get it.

Kish
2010-08-25, 09:34 AM
Damage is frowned upon in real play
Urgh. Could we please take the "optimize or yer doin it rong" stuff to the Gaming forum, or better yet, to 4-chan? Vaarsuvius acts like a blaster wizard because...Vaarsuvius is a blaster wizard.

Orzel
2010-08-25, 09:40 AM
I'm just saying many claim V is not optimized but in reality he is.

The Anarresti
2010-08-25, 10:43 AM
Dimensional anchor and Crushing hand are both powerful spells that shift the fight swiftly to the end if they work.
But since this is a plot based world and those spell would ruin drama, those spell would only work if:
The fight doesn't matter
It would be funny
OR

Because Xykon was still stronger than V AND Xykon is the main villain AND it wouldn't be funny; none of V's Save or Sucks would work.

Damage is frowned upon in real play because if the rules are followed and no one cheats, SoS is faster. In OotSland, damage is better because the "DM" cheats so at least you get half damage or roll nat 20s and the "DM" can't say nothing happened.

of course, blasting spells are much more spectacular and fun to draw

Manga Maniac
2010-08-25, 12:54 PM
Okay, let's look at it another way: V is full of powerful damage spells that overwhelm his opponent, and is always looking for new ways to overpower even the strongest foe in one hit. Why doesn't he keep more non-damage spells?

Because he doesn't want them. V is powercrazed. He wants to do as much damage as possible and doesn't want to "waste" spell slots that don't do actual damage. He's not optimized, he just thinks he is. Rather look for spells that could strengthen him and/or his allies, he wants ones that will just burn his opponents to death in the blink of an eye.

Valifor
2010-08-25, 01:18 PM
The fight doesn't matter
It would be funny
OR

i absolutely HATE when people make this argument. "it happened because of plot/drama/because Rich says so". that's bullcrap. in stories you stll need an explanation for why things happen, handwaving it doesn't work except in minor details (Durkon's age being inconsistent comes to mind). the spells didn't work (namely crushing hand) because Xykon was more powerful than V, had the feat still spell, and therefore had a way out of it. period. no plot-induced crap there, nothing about Xykon's villain status, that doesn't matter. it's because he was equipped to deal with that spell and nothing else. freakin people claiming plot armor....

Deliverance
2010-08-25, 01:22 PM
Because he doesn't want them. V is powercrazed. He wants to do as much damage as possible and doesn't want to "waste" spell slots that don't do actual damage. He's not optimized, he just thinks he is. Rather look for spells that could strengthen him and/or his allies, he wants ones that will just burn his opponents to death in the blink of an eye.
Unlike players playing spellcasters in a D&D adventure, V cannot count on facing the most dangerous encounters of his life when safely part of a group.

V is powercrazy, but there's no particular reason to believe that has informed his choice of spells, since they are a perfectly natural choice given the world he lives in.

For whatever reason he has gotten the impression that burning his opponents to death in the blink of an eye is generally preferable to gambling on them failing a saving throw and it has the advantage of working both when he is alone or participating in concerted actions.

V has always stocked a small number of utility spells for personal use and has demonstrated good use of buffing spells when knowing in advance that they would be useful, such as during the siege of Azure City.

More recently he has begun to use more party buffing spells, such as the during the desert fight, but there is no reason to believe he has forsaken his first loves - the "hand" spells and the blasting spells, you know, the spells that work.

Manga Maniac
2010-08-25, 01:35 PM
@above: Maybe the whole deal with the devil thing has taught him to appreciate some of the less damaging spells.

Note that V referred to the non-damaging spells as almost useless when he discovered he could only use those when in Lizard form.

Morty
2010-08-25, 01:42 PM
I fail to see Orzel's point. No matter what spells s/he'd have used, V would have lost - and not because of plot, Xykon's villain status or anything like that, but of the reason given in the comic - Xykon is extremely powerful and he earned that power the hard way. V or anyone else using damage-dealing spells isn't Fridge Brilliance by any stretch of the definition.

Orzel
2010-08-25, 03:54 PM
V got off 5 good spells. If they were all reflex halves, X might be dead.

Valifor
2010-08-25, 05:21 PM

......what? not dying from that is as simple as having a magic item with resistance (fire), being immune anyways (lightning), being able to take some hits (epic level), or most importantly, having some healing there. because Xykon was the only one he was fighting. without the help from redcloak and tsukiko, xykon may have lost. and if he would have been hurt more, you can bet that he would have flown down and gotten some heals. the point of V using damage spells cuz he knows he's in a plot based world is ridiculous. he just does so because he likes them. me, for example, even as a player, will shoot off fire spells even when a buff might be better cuz i REALLY like fire spells (yes it's dumb and has gotten me killed on more than one occasion, but it makes it interesting and fun :smallbiggrin:) my point is that he doesn't know he's "in a plot-based world" and save vs spells might work on Xykon, it's not fridge brilliance at all, as Morty above me has said.

SPoD
2010-08-25, 05:31 PM

You can't bring up the idea that the world works based on contrivances of plot and then claim that if Vaarsuvius had cast different spells, he/she would have won. They are mutually exclusive concepts.

If the world works based on plot, then nothing V could have done would have resulted in victory, because it was not the time and place for Xykon to be defeated. If V knew that save-or-die spells would not work on Xykon because he was the main villain, then he/she would also know that NOTHING would work on Xykon because he was the main villain, because it's Roy's job to defeat him at the end of the story.

Further, Vaarsuvius has expressed nothing but disdain for the way in which drama overrides the laws of probability. It is ridiculous to think he/she suddenly changed his/her mind and decided to embrace it in the middle of the story, off-screen, without notice.

Orzel
2010-08-25, 05:55 PM
My whole point is that damage spells are more effective at high levels in OotSland than most other campaign world. My belief in this come from the fact that damage spell deal damage regardless of who the target is as long as the target is not immune or has evsaion. As long as you use them wisely and cast enough of them, not amount of author screw, plot armor, or good save rolls can stop you. If the fight is long enough, you can't fail. And since this is a story based world the fights are all long.

Darth V was an idiot at the time and wasted most of his fight being stupid. Plus he walking into the fight alone like an idiot. 2 Empowered Sunbursts on average remove a LOT of Xykon's HP even if Big X saves on both. It was several spells in before Redcloak and Tsukikko even helped. But what does V do?

Quickened Chain Lightning on a lich.

Valifor
2010-08-25, 06:20 PM
My whole point is that damage spells are more effective at high levels in OotSland than most other campaign world. My belief in this come from the fact that damage spell deal damage regardless of who the target is as long as the target is not immune or has evsaion. As long as you use them wisely and cast enough of them, not amount of author screw, plot armor, or good save rolls can stop you. If the fight is long enough, you can't fail. [B]And since this is a story based world the fights are all long.

(emphasis added by me) that's the point me and spod are arguing with you on. technicall, since ANY world can be just called a collection of stories, ALL fights in all worlds would be like that. and if the fights is long, then Xykon would be doing the same thing, as well as energy draining like mad, and V would lose. it would actually be in hir best interest to end the fight quickly with a quick non-damage spell like you describe. and your point is moot anyways, as most save vs spells also cause damage if they are saved against (or at least ones that would kill xykon instantly, like destruction or disintegrate). so your logic itself is flawed anyways. and still the big problem i have with what your saying is that you assume that the characters act because of them having insider knowledge of plot armor and being in a story-based world, which they DON'T. they act as they would act in that situation in their lives, because to them it IS their lives. it's not anything about being in a story, it's them reacting as they would with their personality because they have them because Rich isn't a terrible writer. so any fridge brilliance her on V choosing to be a blaster because he's in a plot-based world is complete bullcrap.

Edit: also, i'd like to apologize to the OP and anybody else reading this thread for fridge brilliance ideas. though i would like to add to the discussion on that. it occured to me a while ago (mainly in the orc island arc) that Banjo actually has potential to be created as a real god if Elan can honestly get people to worship him and give him power, since divine power is largely based on number of worshippers. therefore, the little puppet could literally become a true god, which is rediculous if you think about it. thing is though, that might be the point, that the whole fiasco with banjo is Rich's way of criticizing the way deities and divinity works in D&D!

The MunchKING
2010-08-25, 06:41 PM
Rather look for spells that could strengthen him and/or his allies, he wants ones that will just burn his opponents to death in the blink of an eye.

And for a Wizard those are a LOT more Optimal when you go off Big Bad hunting on your own than any number of Buffs would be.

or in general whenever you're without a party.

Boogastreehouse
2010-08-25, 08:04 PM
it occured to me a while ago (mainly in the orc island arc) that Banjo actually has potential to be created as a real god if Elan can honestly get people to worship him and give him power, since divine power is largely based on number of worshippers. therefore, the little puppet could literally become a true god, which is rediculous if you think about it. thing is though, that might be the point, that the whole fiasco with banjo is Rich's way of criticizing the way deities and divinity works in D&D!

I'm glad you reminded my of this. I've felt for some time now that the easily dismissible running joke of the puppet god was going to turn around and surprise us with its relevance one day. I remember how excited I was when it first occurred to me that this recurring gag might actually be setting us up for something important.

Maybe this would be significant in the impact Banjo's actual apotheosis had upon the world, or maybe it would not be so literal. Maybe banjo's cute little subplot will simply foreshadow or parallel the assertion or appearance of an actual god, or maybe the relationship of Banjo and his brother/rival Giggles can give us a clue to some future conflict.

I have a couple theories but really they're too half-baked to be included at this time...

SPoD
2010-08-26, 12:23 AM
As long as you use them wisely and cast enough of them, not amount of author screw, [snip] can stop you.

I don't think you understand how narrative story telling works. There is nothing a fictional character can do to override the wishes of the author. It is impossible, because they do not exist independently of the author's words.

Fictional characters cannot use spells "wisely" enough to overcome the intent of the writer any more than Hamlet can avoid being killed at the end of the play this time.

kpenguin
2010-08-26, 01:17 AM
The Modguin: This discussion is becoming a bit heated and, more importantly, derailed from the original post. Please stay on topic.

Valifor
2010-08-26, 02:29 AM
yea, i'd like to apologize to Darth Moses for continuing that argument and derailing his thread. that's my bad...

wightpower
2010-08-27, 12:15 PM
On the topic of Roy infantising Elan, I think its the other way around. Elan becomes childish when he has an authoritive male figure around who can act as a protective figure. Because he didn't grow up with a dad, he collects stand ins to simulate the experience and help himself get closure.

Alagaesian
2010-08-27, 02:23 PM
My moment of Fridge Brilliance includes Miko and the Twelve Gods. It isn't really a "moment" exactly. But when I was doing something completely unrelated to the comic, I had a thought that maybe the Twelve Gods actually gave Miko everything she asked for when she prayed. Looking back through the comics, I realized that there's an entirely different interpretation of the events that caused Azure City to fall. Perhaps the Twelve Gods had a very active influence on Miko's life and would have made her a hero if it hadn't all gone straight to her head.

In comic 298 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0298.html), she prays for the strength and wisdom to "seek out and stop those who would obstruct the holy mission of the Sapphire Guard." Well, she DOES end up finding Redcloak and Xykon by pure chance as they try to sneak up on Soon's Gate.

In 373 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0373.html), she prays again so "all who stand in opposition to the holy work of the Sapphire Guard have their evil plans revealed to the light of day..." Shojo somewhat opposes the Sapphire Guard because he believes that their lawfulness is not sensible. So, his true nature is revealed to her when she arrives at his throne room at the perfect moment.

Also, the "grand destiny" that Miko constantly insisted that the gods had in store for her may not have been just a holier-than-thou delusion. The Twelve Gods might have given her a destiny that would have altered the course of the Battle of Azure City.

When she arrives at Shojo's throne room to deliver her message, they are just about to raise the wizard to teleport them all to the Western Continent. Resurrection has a ten-minute casting time, but the way I see it, she was still lucky to get there in time. Had she been, oh, an hour later, the Order would have been across the ocean. Now, I don't know much about DnD, but considering the lack of decently-leveled spellcasters in Azure City, it would have taken a while for them to even find someone to cast a Sending. Not to mention that the Order had been in Azure City for a total of, what, three days? Who there would not only know an Order member personally, but be able to describe them well enough for the caster to Send them?

So, if the Gods had made Miko arrive late enough to not hear Roy and Shojo's conversation, it would have been nearly impossible for Azure City to win the coming battle. Let's just say that there are so many things that would have gone wrong without them that I can't possibly list them all. Mainly, Xykon would have sneaked into the castle invisibly and the hobgoblins would have broken through the outer wall before noon.

The gods would have been worried that Miko might have made a few bad choices concerning the knowledge of Shojo's political mask, but that would require her eavesdropping upon her liege lord for a few minutes instead of delivering a vital message when even a small delay would have severe consequences, then jumping to a bunch of ridiculous conclusions. What kind of straight-laced paladin would do that? Whoops. Shojo ends up dead. As a result, there is little to no morale, the city's leader is inexperienced, and the nobles abandon the city, taking their ninjas and warriors with them because they have nothing to gain by letting said leader survive the battle. To show that Miko has done a pretty poor job at trying to fulfill her grand destiny, the Twelve Gods fall her.

What's more, the Twelve Gods give her a second chance at that grand destiny! She prays one last time in 460 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0460.html) and asks for a sign so that she might understand their divine will. Then she sees the crack in the bars - a second chance to influence the outside world. She starts to reason that this must be a sign that she should go on with her previous mission, to destroy the Order, when she receives another sign: a splash panel of Azure City on fire. I don't know about you, but that screams to me, "That wasn't what we meant! Stop worrying about the Order. Protect your city!" Unfortunately, she jumps to the wrong conclusions...again...

Then she hears Xykon's voice and rushes off to the throne room, doing the right thing for once. There, she sees Soon's ghost pounding the stuffing out of the lich and Redcloak not doing much better. Had she not automatically assumed that the Order and Hinjo were on the side of evil, she would have joined in the fight against Team Evil, since protecting the gate is better than destroying it. I'm assuming that Soon would have distracted those two enough so that neither of them would have made a Spot Check before they died. And, Miko, being "the first human to enter the room" would have been in a position to destroy Xykon's phylactery. Does finishing off Xykon sound like a grand destiny or what? The Twelve Gods, by allowing the prison bar to crack and giving her the right signs at the right times, were going to give her that chance.

But, as usual, Miko never considers that she has ever been wrong even under the worst circumstances. So, she assumes that, even if she were to help kill Xykon and the Bearer of the Crimson Mantle, the Order would simply carry out whatever plans those two had for the Gate, using Hinjo and the tainted courts to do so without opposition. He only option left in her mind is to destroy the gate.

It's quite sad, really. The Twelve Gods gave her everything she asked for, including a second chance at a grand destiny. And she ruined it all by being convinced with a holier-than-thou mentality that she could never be wrong or do wrong.

Boogastreehouse
2010-08-27, 06:02 PM
whole lotta stuff

This was an enjoyable read

Marnath
2010-08-27, 07:13 PM
This was an enjoyable read

I agree, that's certainly an entertaining alternate take on what happened. :smallsmile:

KenderWizard
2010-08-28, 10:26 AM
I agree, that's certainly an entertaining alternate take on what happened. :smallsmile:

I also agree! I think that's a good Fridge Brilliance moment. Even reading it, it was so frustrating seeing Miko making bed decision after bad decision - imagine how frustrating it would have been for the Twelve Gods, if they were trying to let her help!

Dr.Epic
2010-08-29, 01:43 PM
Roy's wearing V's cloak in this strip. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0665.html)