PDA

View Full Version : 4E achievements

Meta
2010-08-22, 09:55 PM
Major wall of text. Basically i came up with these due to popular demand in our gaming groups. There are 1000 possible achievement points if you add up general, role, and class. Any of the 'proofs' are roleplay oriented and decided on by the DM (i use the example of insanity being reason with a slaad and peace being stop a war) and bonus points. The title's unlock items, special rewards etc. Our reward for said achievements is nifty extras from our reoccurring merchant character (Resident Evil 4 anyone?)

These are geared towards our main gaming group but perhaps someone else may get some use out of them

Without further ado:

General Achievements:

(5) Class I:
No Rest for the Wicked: Succeed on a death saving throw
Back to the Basics: Use no encounter or daily attack powers in a fight
Underdog: Kill a monster at least 5 levels higher than you
First Blood: Take an enemy to bloodied hp in a single attack
Enter the Matrix: Get attacked by at least 3 enemies and take no damage in a round
Heavy Handed: Use no at-will powers in an encounter
Finishing Move: Kill an enemy with a crit
Student of All, Master of None: Roll a 20 on a skill check and not succeed.
I Rise, You Fall: Save against a status a creature applied and then apply your own to the same foe
Lamb to Slaughter: An enemy moves adjacent to you, misses, and you kill it within a turn

(10) Class II:
Valiant Effort: Succeed on a death saving throw with no healing surges
SOL: Fail a saving throw 3 times in a row
Master of Defense: An enemy’s crit is made a normal attack
I’m Out of Your League: Hit an enemy on a 2
Deadeye: Go an entire battle without missing (must attack every round)
Focus Fire is for Noobs: Deal damage to every enemy in an encounter (must be at least 3 non-minion monsters present)
Thick Skinned: Survive a coup de grace
I Have the High Ground: Maneuver an opponent off a ledge so that they take damage
Ace in the Hole: Please an artifact
Death from Above: Defeat an opponent that was on a lower altitude when your turn began

(15) Class III:
One in 400: 2 crits on 2 consecutive dice rolls
Double Kill: Kill 2 non-minions in one round
The Universe Laughs: fail a saving throw 5 times in a row
Resilient: Save from three or more effects in a round
Perfection: Take no damage and kill at least one monster in an encounter
“It’s a Trap!”: Get knocked unconscious from full hp in one turn
Mo-Bile, A-Gile, Hos-Tile: End at least 2 squares away from where you began every turn for an encounter
Trust the Force, Luke: Kill an enemy you can’t see
Long Day at the Office: Have a negative effect on you every round (not necessarily on your initiative pass)
It’s Called Teamwork: Dodge an elite/solo’s attack only to be hit a standard/minion the same round

(20) Class IV:
The Damned Return: Succeed on death saving throws twice in one encounter
Livin’ on A Prayer: Get reduced to one hp from death
Resurgence: Be reduced from full hp to 0 and end at full again.
Untouchable: Go 3 encounters without spending a healing surge
One Hit Wonder: Kill a non-minion enemy in one turn
Overkill: Crit a minion
Light Sleeper: Avoid a coup de grace
My Tactics are Superior: defeat an opponent with a damage type its weak to
If I Go, You’re Coming with Me: Defeat an opponent the round before you go unconscious from ongoing damage
That’s Why this is My Story: Defeat a named NPC with a crit

(25) Class V:
One Man Army: Kill every monster in an encounter (must be more than one monster)
One in 8000: Crit 3 times on 3 consecutive attacks
Triple Kill: Kill 3 non-minions in one round
Last Man Standing: Win an encounter as the last standing party member
So Long, and Thanks for the all the Experience: Kill an opponent before it acts
You Called Down the Thunder…: Crit an enemy who critted you last round
Subtlety is for the Weak: Defeat an enemy with a damage type it resists
Early Bird Gets the Worm: Move first in initiative and crit an enemy
The End is Near: Have an opponent miss you, action point, miss again and then defeat it the next round.
Back With a Vengeance: Regain consciousness, and within the next round, defeat the foe that knocked you down

Controller:

Class I
Kill 2 minions in a single round
Inflict a different negative status effect 2 rounds consecutively

Class II
Kill 3 minions in a single round
Inflict a different negative status effect 3 rounds consecutively

Class III
Kill 4 minions in a single round
Inflict a different negative status effect 4 rounds consecutively

Class IV
Kill 5 minions in a single round
Inflict a different negative status effect 5 rounds consecutively

Class V
Kill 6 minions in a single round
Inflict a different negative status effect 6 rounds consecutively

Striker:

Class I
Kill 2 non-minion enemies in an encounter
Deal 60 damage in a round

Class II
Kill 3 non-minion enemies in an encounter
Deal 120 damage in a round

Class III
Kill 4 non-minion enemies in an encounter
Deal 180 damage in a round

Class IV
Kill 5 non-minion enemies in an encounter
Deal 240 damage in a round

Class V
Kill 6 non-minion enemies in an encounter
Deal 300 damage in a round

Defender:

Class I
Mark 2 different enemies in a round
Punish a marked enemy 2 rounds consecutively

Class II
Mark 3 different enemies in a round
Punish a marked enemy 3 rounds consecutively

Class III
Mark 4 different enemies in a round
Punish a marked enemy 4 rounds consecutively

Class IV
Mark 5 different enemies in a round
Punish a marked enemy 5 rounds consecutively

Class V
Mark 6 different enemies in a round
Punish a marked enemy 6 rounds consecutively

Leader:

Class I
Buff a successful ally attack 2 times in an encounter
Heal one ally 40 hp in one round

Class II
Buff a successful ally attack 3 times in an encounter
Heal one ally 80 hp in one round

Class III
Buff a successful ally attack 4 times in an encounter
Heal one ally 120 hp in one round

Class IV
Buff a successful ally attack 5 times in an encounter
Heal one ally 160 hp in one round

Class V
Buff a successful ally attack 6 times in an encounter
Heal one ally 200 hp in one round

Avenger:

Raven Queen’s Vengeance: Crit and kill an opponent with the Undead keyword
Kord’s Honor: Be the only person to damage a non-minion and kill them
Ioun’s Sagacity: Get your censure bonus 3 rounds in a row
Bahamut’s Protection: Kill an oathed opponent that downed an ally last turn
Pelor’s Brilliance: Kill a radiant vulnerable enemy with a radiant attack
Avandra’s Favor: an ally crits on their Divine Guidance roll
Zehir’s Shadows: Kill a foe that can’t see you
Moradain’s Resolve: Get the final kill in a battle with less than surge value hp
Sehanine’s Ardor: Never let your oath target end adjacent to an ally for a whole fight
Bane’s Supremacy: Hit the oathed target 3 rounds in a row and not be hit by them for the same 3 rounds

Ranger:

World Demon: Kill 20 enemies with the aberrant or natural origin
Astral Enmity: Kill 20 enemies with the elemental or immortal origin
Twilight Slayer: Kill 20 enemies with the shadow or fey origin
Closing for the Kill: Have prime shot 3 rounds consecutively
Fastest in the Land: Kill an enemy as an immediate interrupt
Cover Fire: Kill two enemies flanking an ally in a round
Lone Ranger: End the encounter with at least one kill and always more than 5 squares away from an ally
Full Salvo: Attack more than 10 times in a round
Perfect Quarry: Deal max damage with hunter’s quarry (N/A in heroic)
Ender’s Quarry: Kill an opponent with quarry damage

Sorcerer:

Pyroclasm: Kill 3 enemies with 3 different powers with 3 different damage types in an encounter
Daggermaster is Overrated: Crit two enemies with one attack
Party-Friendly WMD’s: Target at least 25 squares with an attack and hit no allies and at least 2 enemies
I Have a Summer Home there: Kill a solo with the elemental keyword
Constraint is for Wizard’s: Use every encounter and at least 1 daily power and hit at least 1 enemy with each
Xykon would be Proud: Kill a non-minion (all damage must come from you) using only one power
Healthy Enthusiasm: Kill a target before a power’s secondary damage effect comes into play
Natural Selection: Kill another with sorcery in their veins.
Distant Onslaught: Attack every turn and remain at least 5 squares away from all enemies for an encounter
Learned it from the Best: slay a dragon

Fighter:

Float like a Butterfly: Mark two skirmisher or lurker types in the same round
Sting like a Bee: Fell an opponent as it tries to shift away
Aggro Whore: Take your bloodied value in damage and 2 status effects in one round
Cunning Footwork: Damage two prone foes in a turn
Klutch Killer: Kill a foe with an opportunity attack as it strikes a bloodied ally
Stalwart Guardian: Stop a foe from moving adjacent to an unconscious ally
Watching their Back: Score the highest perception when spotting oncoming opponent
Mercy has its Place: Knock a foe unconscious
…so does Efficiency: Kill a disarmed opponent/noncombatant
The Weapon Master: Crit on 19 twice during an encounter

Cleric:

Death’s Doorman: Revive 2 unconscious allies in the same encounter
Necromantic Bane: Score a critical hit with Turn Undead
Right the Balance: Remove a status effect from an ally and inflict one on an enemy in the same round
Surge Friendly: Roll the maximum value on healing word (N/A in heroic)
It’s what Strikers are for: Deal no damage for one encounter
The Unsung Hero: Win a level +2 encounter with no allies falling unconscious
Someone should have Multi-classed Artificer: Have two party members fall unconscious and have no surges left in the same encounter
Or I could just do Everything: Stabilize at least two allies with no surges left in one encounter
The Gods have Taught me Much: Heal 42 hit points in one round
Adventuring is my Day Job: Cure a Disease

Proof of Character: 15 points each

Proof of Compassion
Proof of Vigor
Proof of Talent
Proof of Belief
Proof of Hatred
Proof of Hope
Proof of Greed
Proof of Order
Proof of Silence
Proof of Anarchy
Proof of Valor
Proof of Purity
Proof of Might
Proof of Sacrifice
Proof of Trust
Proof of Love
Proof of Truth
Proof of Freedom
Proof of Lust
Proof of Glory
Proof of Strife
Proof Serenity
Proof of Wealth
Proof of Reform
Proof of Peace
Proof of Leadership
Proof of Divinity
Proof of Deception
Proof of Terror

Path of the Savior:
Proof of Hope
Proof of Glory
Proof of Peace
Proof of Divinity
Proof of Serenity
Proof of Valor
Proof of Belief
Proof of Freedom
Proof of Sacrifice
Proof of Truth
Proof of Love
Proof of Trust
Proof of Compassion

Path of the Prophet:
Proof of Belief
Proof of Leadership
Proof of Divinity
Proof of Peace
Proof of Hope
Proof of Compassion
Proof of Serenity
Proof of Freedom

Path of the General:
Proof of Leadership
Proof of Strife
Proof of Might
Proof of Talent
Proof of Glory

Path of the Knight:
Proof of Compassion
Proof of Sacrifice
Proof of Valor
Proof of Purity
Proof of Might

Path of the Angel:
Proof of Divinity
Proof of Glory
Proof of Valor
Proof of Compassion
Proof of Belief

Path of the Duke:
Proof of Wealth
Proof of Leadership
Proof of Order

Path of the Diplomat:
Proof of Reform
Proof of Peace
Proof of Trust
Proof of Freedom

Path of the Scoundrel:
Proof of Reform
Proof of Anarchy
Proof of Talent
Proof of Lust

Path of the Headhunter:
Proof of Greed
Proof of Might
Proof of Strife

Path of the Thief:
Proof of Silence
Proof of Anarchy
Proof of Greed

Path of the Martyr:
Proof of Belief
Proof of Sacrifice
Proof of Hope

Path of the Monster:
Proof of Strife
Proof of Hatred
Proof of Greed
Proof of Lust
Proof of Anarchy
Proof of Terror

Path of the Warmaster:
Proof of Glory
Proof of Talent
Proof of Vigor
Proof of Strife
Proof of Might

Path of the Trickster:
Proof of Vigor
Proof of Anarchy
Proof of Deception

EDITED FOR FORMATTING

Saintjebus
2010-08-22, 10:18 PM
Hmm. Seems very MMO to me. Specifically, WoW.

YMMV depending entirely on your groups' playstyle. That would work very well with a "gamist" style. Someone who has more of a "roleplaying" or "immersive" style would probably not appreciate this type of achievement system.

Some of them seem pretty random, though.

"Move first in initiative and crit an enemy?" Sure, you can optimize initiative to a degree, but critting, especially in 4e, is very, very random, because of the lack of crit range expanders.

Meta
2010-08-22, 10:25 PM
Hmm. Seems very MMO to me. Specifically, WoW.

YMMV depending entirely on your groups' playstyle. That would work very well with a "gamist" style. Someone who has more of a "roleplaying" or "immersive" style would probably not appreciate this type of achievement system.

Some of them seem pretty random, though.

"Move first in initiative and crit an enemy?" Sure, you can optimize initiative to a degree, but critting, especially in 4e, is very, very random, because of the lack of crit range expanders.

well this was built after we've played characters from lvl 1 all the way to 11. We aren't going out of our way to hit these marks. They're just neat successes and give rewards for some bad*** moments. and we included A LOT of roleplay ones, it's just a shorter section cuz that's more DM discretion.

And yes we do enjoy the 4e system of combat which you could successfully argue is more MMO-ish than 3.X's. We like the teamwork and better flow of it though, so we built a system that expands well with it

Swordgleam
2010-08-22, 10:27 PM
Looks fun. I've seen a couple different 4e achievement variants, all of which seem to go over well with the groups involved. I've thought about putting achievements in an adventure I'm writing, but unfortunately they wouldn't fit the tone of this particular module.

tcrudisi
2010-08-22, 10:48 PM
I disagree with the above poster, as having played MMO's extensively, I am more reminded of 360's achievements. However, I've always felt achievements were very silly and I don't even bother looking at what the achievements are for any games that I own. However, that doesn't stop me from setting personal goals in my games.

I also understand the appeal as many people enjoy achievements as it gives them a sense of accomplishment. It's something that I would not mind adding to my own D&D games but I would not really care, personally, if I were playing and the DM used achievements.

Having said all that: good work. I know it takes time to do something like that so please don't let the naysayers discourage you. Anything that makes sitting at a table more enjoyable for everyone is wonderful.

0Megabyte
2010-08-22, 10:55 PM
That looks kinda cool.

As someone who finds achievements/trophies/whatever somewhat interesting and something worth pursuing (if reasonable) in the current-gen games I play, that actually gives me a few ideas...

Meta
2010-08-22, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the support! And I know what you mean tcrudisi, the 360 achievement system is definitely evident in this design and i didn't help it much when grand total ended up coming out to 1000 points. That said, thanks for your reasoning. Glad to give others some ideas to improve their own game and if you'd like some help or just someone to bounce ideas off of feel free to PM :smallsmile:

Crossfiyah
2010-08-23, 12:48 AM
Haha. The best part is what happens end game. After the achievement points are all tallied...

Too bad Bitsy frequents this forum. Otherwise I could spill the beans.

dsmiles
2010-08-23, 04:13 AM
Ah. Achievements. Meta-gaming at its finest.

Those look good, though, if you're into that kind of stuff. Realistic meta-gaming goals for people to meet. I just wouldn't use achievements, personally. Takes too much away from the role-playing aspect, IMO.

Tengu_temp
2010-08-23, 07:19 AM
What's the point? You're playing a game with live people, not with a computer, you don't need a system to tell you that someone did something badass.

Kurald Galain
2010-08-23, 07:25 AM
What's the point? You're playing a game with live people, not with a computer, you don't need a system to tell you that someone did something badass.

This.

Also, take a look at this game (http://armorgames.com/play/2893/achievement-unlocked)...

ghost_warlock
2010-08-23, 07:42 AM
WotC endorses what you're doing. Or, rather, the RPGA does. For the D&D Encounters campaigns there are achievements that each give you a number of points. Get enough points and you get a little reward card that basically works like a get out of jail free card for some specific situation, such as failing a skill check, taking ongoing damage, being knocked prone, etc.

Complete an Encounter = 3 Renown Points
Hit a Milestone = 2 Renown Points
Complete All Quests = 5 Renown Points
Revive a Dying Adventurer Ally = 1 Renown Point
Hit for +15 Damage Against 1 Enemy = 1 Renown Point
Kill 3 Minions with 1 Attack = 1 Renown Point
Take 50 Enemy Damage in 1 Session = 1 Renown Point
Survive 10+ Sessions without Dying = 2 Renown Points
Moment of Greatness = 2 Renown Points
Use the Reckless Breakage Rule (currently adventuring in Dark Sun) = 1 Renown Points

Most can only be earned once, or once out of every 5 sessions. Since there's only 15 encounters in the current series, there's a hard limit on the number of times you get the points for showing up/hitting a milestone, too.

Meta
2010-08-23, 08:30 AM

Two scenarios:

1. You're at war and save your entire squad from an ambush. You return home and the President gives you a nice firm handshake.

2. Same scenario as above except he also has a Congressional Medal of Honor waiting for you.

As Crossfiyah said there actually is a campaign driven rationale for these it's just a secret :smallsmile:

Yea, I know the RPGA renown system. It's neat but not grand enough a scale for a campaign of our caliber.

I mentioed before that there's little in the way of character building to achieve these meta-goals. This system is being implemented after a year and a half of playing across 11 levels. Our characters are quite established

@Alex and Bitsy
It's really weird to keep saying Meta on giant and not meaning my character haha

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-23, 08:42 AM
Ah. Achievements. Meta-gaming at its finest.

Those look good, though, if you're into that kind of stuff. Realistic meta-gaming goals for people to meet. I just wouldn't use achievements, personally. Takes too much away from the role-playing aspect, IMO.

Agreed. Would be fun in a hack'n'slash tactical combat style adventure, but would kill a game with a focus on roleplay

Especially this one

That’s Why this is My Story: Defeat a named NPC with a crit

I'm of the same opinion when it comes to games as well. something like team fortress 2 - no problem. Something with actual plot - the idea sucks

Meta
2010-08-23, 08:56 AM
I am quite confused about those who say role play will be hurt. Aside from implementing a system that rewards good role play, there's nothing that inherently hurts immersion. I believe there is a fallacy concerning "expert" role players thinking combat savvy players are not capable of trouncing +6 level encounters and negotiating with the crazy, bell-loving dragonborn invoker of Bahamut the next moment.

edited for typo

Tengu_temp
2010-08-23, 09:01 AM
Two scenarios:

1. You're at war and save your entire squad from an ambush. You return home and the President gives you a nice firm handshake.

2. Same scenario as above except he also has a Congressional Medal of Honor waiting for you.

And how does an achievement system enable the second scenario? Both of these rewards are put into the game by the DM's will, exist in the actual gameworld, are plot-driven and have nothing to do with an achievement system.

Meta
2010-08-23, 09:07 AM
And how does an achievement system enable the second scenario? Both of these rewards are put into the game by the DM's will, exist in the actual gameworld, are plot-driven and have nothing to do with an achievement system.

The points are not a physical reward and neither are the paths. The first grants access to specific items and bonuses from our very unique merchant and the second involves how the 'common people' of our campaign see the character and what they will refer to said character as

Kensen
2010-08-23, 09:26 AM
I like this idea. Combat can get repetitive in a long campaign, but "achievements" can keep it interesting. I understand the metagame concern, and I think that the achievements should be such that they reflect the character's personality instead of making them act out of character.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-23, 11:22 AM
I am quite confused about those who say role play will be hurt. Aside from implementing a system that rewards good role play, there's nothing that inherently hurts immersion. I believe there is a fallacy concerning "expert" role players thinking combat savvy players are not capable of trouncing +6 level encounters and negotiating with the crazy, bell-loving dragonborn invoker of Bahamut the next moment.

edited for typo

That's not what we're saying. Being 'combat savvy' is irrelevant. The point is, these achievements are an entirely metagame concept, that have no relevance in game.

Lets say I'm plying a very cautious thief, for example. An achievement system rewards me for acting out of character.
'Garrett, why did you you do [out of character action that gains achievement]?'
'I don't know ...'

Sahaar
2010-08-23, 11:28 AM
I may make one for the StarWarsSaga game.

dsmiles
2010-08-23, 11:29 AM
That's not what we're saying. Being 'combat savvy' is irrelevant. The point is, these achievements are an entirely metagame concept, that have no relevance in game.

Lets say I'm plying a very cautious thief, for example. An achievement system rewards me for acting out of character.
'Garrett, why did you you do [out of character action that gains achievement]?'
'I don't know ...'

Also, meta-game thinking, in and of itself, can be a "mood killer" as far as staying IC and roleplaying goes. Most awards for roleplaying can be covered through story XP and IC gains (the local lord grants you a small plot of land to build on, or what-have-you).

tcrudisi
2010-08-23, 11:30 AM
Project Mayhem: Then you don't do it. I know most of my players would not do something they felt was out of character. They would just look at it as though, "Well, I can get a maximum of 950 achievement points instead of 1000".

Tengu_Temp: It would allow the second scenario because a player hit a pre-defined achievement score. For instance, at 500 points, the character gets the medal of honor. At 495, it's still just a firm handshake. Obviously, I'm making these numbers up because I'm not involved in that game at all. But, the character managed to do enough "awesome things" that the President heard about it and decided to award the medal of honor. Yeah, they all managed to defeat the BBEG and save the world, but characters B and C did some particularly heroic things in the process (they had enough achievement points), so they get the medal of honor.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-23, 11:31 AM
Also, meta-game thinking, in and of itself, can be a "mood killer" as far as staying IC and roleplaying goes. Most awards for roleplaying can be covered through story XP and IC gains (the local lord grants you a small plot of land to build on, or what-have-you).

this too.

we're not saying its a bad idea. We're saying that it's not conductive to good roleplaying. That's not always a problem.

Edit:

Then you don't do it. I know most of my players would not do something they felt was out of character. They would just look at it as though, "Well, I can get a maximum of 950 achievement points instead of 1000".

I'm not sure you're following me. That is still a metagame concept. You are still thinking about how to get those 950 points. Remember, we're rewarding people for getting more points. This punishes people who roleplay.

Your giving the players less incentive to play Garrett, the guy with a developed character and realistic motives, than xxxHaX0rzxxx the guy who just fights in arbitrary ways to gain points.

Double Edit:

It would allow the second scenario because a player hit a pre-defined achievement score. For instance, at 500 points, the character gets the medal of honor. At 495, it's still just a firm handshake. Obviously, I'm making these numbers up because I'm not involved in that game at all. But, the character managed to do enough "awesome things" that the President heard about it and decided to award the medal of honor. Yeah, they all managed to defeat the BBEG and save the world, but characters B and C did some particularly heroic things in the process (they had enough achievement points), so they get the medal of honor.

And this is as ridiculously metagamy as they come.

'Well Garret, you saved the world and such, here's your handshake. Ah, xxxHaX0rzxxx, you did the same but failed 3 saves in a row as well. Have a medal.'

Dairun Cates
2010-08-23, 12:35 PM
this too.

we're not saying its a bad idea. We're saying that it's not conductive to good roleplaying. That's not always a problem.

Edit:

I'm not sure you're following me. That is still a metagame concept. You are still thinking about how to get those 950 points. Remember, we're rewarding people for getting more points. This punishes people who roleplay.

Your giving the players less incentive to play Garrett, the guy with a developed character and realistic motives, than xxxHaX0rzxxx the guy who just fights in arbitrary ways to gain points.

Double Edit:

And this is as ridiculously metagamy as they come.

'Well Garret, you saved the world and such, here's your handshake. Ah, xxxHaX0rzxxx, you did the same but failed 3 saves in a row as well. Have a medal.'

I actually don't see how this style of metagaming actually DOES inherently hurt roleplaying. Most of these are logical extensions of the character's party roles and pulling them off well. There's a few that could go wrong if a player went out of their way to try to get them, but if you're that obsessed with the points, you wouldn't logically want to lose your character and his levels and neither would the roleplayers. On top of that, you'd really have to have a problem player to try to kill the party for 10 extra points.

Now, if the achievements here were: "Attack a fellow party member". I'd agree with you. Giving points to anti-social behavior is crazy, but this seems to just encourage people to follow their party roles, and there seems to be specific achievements for each class. He's literally rewarding you for doing your role well.

Really, the most we're losing here is "why did you want to kill him?", and a good roleplayer should be able to spit out an easy "because this is personal" or some motivation. I could easily play in this kind of campaign and still keep my usual roleplaying chops. I don't see anything that would hinder me at all.

I honestly see this as a way of giving your NON-roleplay heavy guys something to encourage them to get in the game. There's some in universe rationale for getting a high score. Fun. The game heavy gamer wants to see what it is.

On the other hand, it gives your roleplay heavy players a chance to get a little game heavy because they have a roleplay reason. It's a bit meta-gamey, but being a badass does have some end-game consequence to roleplay and a reward.

It actually seems like if anything, this gets everyone on the same page.

Zombimode
2010-08-23, 01:00 PM
The point is: you dont need metagame achievments for non-metagame events.

Crossfiyah
2010-08-23, 01:51 PM
Technically they're non-metagame achievements, since they will directly fuel a major event at level 30, based on the point totals.

valadil
2010-08-23, 01:55 PM
Looks cute. I know some players who would get a laugh out of it. However, I'd hate to have to track it. For instance, I don't want to have to count failed saves, to see if somebody hits 5 of them. That's more effort than it's worth. And you have to look up the result once they hit it.

Were I to do something like this, I'd rather just invent the achievements on the fly.

tcrudisi
2010-08-23, 02:21 PM

"Well 'Pillage People', you saved the world and for that I must shake your hands. But you - you! - are you not Bob the Fireman, the one who's toughness is so legendary, that even though Darth Vader managed to knock you unconscious, even with his minions beating on you, they could not cause you to succumb to your wounds for over half the battle? Your toughness is legendary! For that, I award you the well-deserved medal of honor."

(Note: Pillage People is the name that I usually call my groups when I'm playing in them, because, yeah, it's awesome. Bob the Fireman is completely made up, because, well, I am terrible at coming up with names on the fly. Hence Darth Vader, as well.)

Can this negatively impact roleplaying? Sure, it could. Would it in my groups? No, it would not. Would it have impacted us 10-15 years ago? Absolutely. We are a bit older and wiser now and enjoy getting into character. I think this definitely changes by the group.

Project Mayhem: if you believe this would hinder roleplaying for yourself or your group, well, it is completely optional and you do not have to use it. If, however, you feel that it would enhance yours and your groups play experience, then why not use it?

Meta
2010-08-23, 02:30 PM
I actually don't see how this style of metagaming actually DOES inherently hurt roleplaying. Most of these are logical extensions of the character's party roles and pulling them off well. There's a few that could go wrong if a player went out of their way to try to get them, but if you're that obsessed with the points, you wouldn't logically want to lose your character and his levels and neither would the roleplayers. On top of that, you'd really have to have a problem player to try to kill the party for 10 extra points.

Now, if the achievements here were: "Attack a fellow party member". I'd agree with you. Giving points to anti-social behavior is crazy, but this seems to just encourage people to follow their party roles, and there seems to be specific achievements for each class. He's literally rewarding you for doing your role well.

Really, the most we're losing here is "why did you want to kill him?", and a good roleplayer should be able to spit out an easy "because this is personal" or some motivation. I could easily play in this kind of campaign and still keep my usual roleplaying chops. I don't see anything that would hinder me at all.

I honestly see this as a way of giving your NON-roleplay heavy guys something to encourage them to get in the game. There's some in universe rationale for getting a high score. Fun. The game heavy gamer wants to see what it is.

On the other hand, it gives your roleplay heavy players a chance to get a little game heavy because they have a roleplay reason. It's a bit meta-gamey, but being a badass does have some end-game consequence to roleplay and a reward.

It actually seems like if anything, this gets everyone on the same page.

This is said perfectly. No one built their characters for these achievements and frankly I'm a bit annoyed needing to type this for the third time. Our characters are a year and a half old and level 11 after starting at 1. They're established and they have their own way of responding to things in the game world.

Check this out:
My character Meta (some tieflings name themselves after attributes and Meta grew up in a temple dedicated to Avandra. Meta among other things is the prefix for change)

He was raised there for 19 years with his childhood friend. He is quiet and good natured if a little naive. His adventures take him all over the continent where he fights dragons, demons, and a host of terrifying creatures. At the climax of our heroic tier, he and his party members climb a tower that used to reside in a gigantic astral city the primordials wrecked long ago.

At the top they are confronted by three angels who tell the tale of how brave mortals must stand against the tide of chaos that appears every 1000 years and gives the primordials a chance to reclaim earth in accordance with a treaty agreed upon by the gods, primordials, and primal spirits long ago.

These angels also tell Meta that the vision he faced on his ascent (fighting his family during the war between Arkoshia and Bael Turath) wasn't as far fetched as he things and that he is far older than he can imagine.

And then this:

Meta is a tiefling/deva/genasi/githzerai avenger MC monk/Favored Soul/Soul of the World.

More of his angelic traits will appear as he learns he is reincarnated every time this 1000 year war looms. His angelic nature and reincarnation into different forms is represented in my PP, ED, and Feat selection.

On the way up the tower our party had a challenge to fight two devas and their golden dragon mounts. It was a fight to bloodied. My party didn't fare too well and Meta was left alone against 3 enemies. With some favorable rolls and good tactics Meta is able to finish the encounter himself and earns the very cool Last Man Standing achievement.

I am equally pleased with both of these paragraphs. They both describe a character I am very attached to. I could write pages more on Meta's story. He is both a caring and selfless individual and an all together lethal foe against the forces of that threaten his home. I enjoy playing him in both of those rules and to further heighten the sense of peaceful bad*** that he is and to further define the awesomeness of the other characters of our campaign we came up with a system to add some notable milestones on their journey to destiny.

None of this hinders our roleplay or rollplay. Heck it BENEFITS more than one of our players who have never played DnD before this. This will deepen the immersion of our Minotaur Fighter who will likely strive for the Path of the Monster in grim fashion, because that's who his character is. He isn't going to hit that path and then pull a complete 180 and start being all goody two shoes so he can get the path of the prophet.

I believe that those who imagine may be playing their games with a different caliber of player, and I hope you the best in your games, but Meta, Viz, Benyamin, Briggs, and Rizzuto are gonna continue on their fated quest without taking much notice of achievements. Nate, Bitsy, Rick, Chris, and Ben will be cheering in the background if Meta finally gets the Path of the Savior however.

To those who like the system, thank you very much and if such a system appeals to you to supplement your game, I'd be happy to help aiding you in its implementation

DragonBaneDM
2010-08-23, 02:57 PM
Haha. The best part is what happens end game. After the achievement points are all tallied...

Too bad Bitsy frequents this forum. Otherwise I could spill the beans.

Muhahaha! FREQUENTING!

Saintjebus
2010-08-23, 03:08 PM
Ooh, I wasn't meaning to spark off a war, either. I think this is a perfectly valid addition to the game, and props for the creation of it. It obviously took a lot of work to create.

Meta
2010-08-23, 04:05 PM
Muhahaha! FREQUENTING!

I was definitely replying to this thread in Bio today.

Seton Hill + Apple = Win.

And no worries SaintJebus, people have the tendency to get extremely vigorous in telling the online community that if you don't roleplay the 'right' way you should just go play WoW.

DragonBaneDM
2010-08-23, 05:01 PM
I was definitely replying to this thread in Bio today.

Seton Hill + Apple = Win.

I love how you're allowed to know what happens when the points are accumulated and I'm not.

Next time I'll play the Avenger. It seems to come with extra perks.

Prime32
2010-08-23, 05:31 PM
what is this i dont even

Saintjebus
2010-08-23, 05:33 PM
And no worries SaintJebus, people have the tendency to get extremely vigorous in telling the online community that if you don't roleplay the 'right' way you should just go play WoW.

Unfortunately, you are are correct.
I don't even understand that idea, though. I play PnP RPGs, in fact, I DM every other week. I also play WoW. The two are not mutually exclusive.

137beth
2010-08-23, 05:37 PM
I think achievements lead to extensive meta-gaming. If the players know they will get a reward for succeeding in a death saving throw, they might even TRY to get knocked to 0 hit points if the team cleric has a power to give a boost to saving throws. If they know they will get a reward for going a full encounter without using encounter/daily powers, they will likely wait until a relativity easy encounter and then not use encounter powers. This is okay in a video-game, but for an RPG, I think meta-gaming should be avoided as much as possible.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-23, 05:43 PM
I'm reminded of the History Feats you can earn in Neverwinter Nights 2's expansion, Storm of Zehir. They're extra feats you get that basically provide little bonuses. For instance, if you decide to kill both named tribes of goblins in the first act, you recieve the "Bane of the Batiri" feat, which causes goblins to be afraid of you, which allows you to pass by them unmolested.

TheEmerged
2010-08-23, 05:48 PM
First Blood: Take an enemy to bloodied hp in a single attack

Easier for some classes than others, obviously. Last session, at level 11, the brutal rogue in the party did this to a level 13 mob -- without spending an action point (and the player heavily considered spending the action point and has that feat (Slaying Action?) that allows you to Sneak Attack a second time when doing so). I've seen him one-round a same-level mob before when he spends the action point.

Meta
2010-08-23, 06:04 PM
That's true emerged, some builds will achieve certain achievements easier. However I tried to balance it via class and role specific chieves and having a wide variety of general ones.

I feel your pain saint.

And dear bitsy,
It's better that way for you
Sincerely, cap'n meta

Boci
2010-08-23, 06:15 PM
Wow. This will be amazing for the Shadow of Rome style gladiator game I had planned. Permission to steal use?

Meta
2010-08-23, 07:14 PM
Wow. This will be amazing for the Shadow of Rome style gladiator game I had planned. Permission to steal use?

Permission Granted*

*if you share some of the sweet stories of your PCs achieving some of them in dramatic fashion

EDIT: @Archpaladin: Those would probably be most akin to the Proof/Path system which is almost exclusive roleplay where the others are moreso rollplay

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-23, 10:23 PM
EDIT: @Archpaladin: Those would probably be most akin to the Proof/Path system which is almost exclusive roleplay where the others are moreso rollplay
True, but the fact that it's a system that provides a little reward for doing something within the game still stands.

Meta
2010-08-23, 11:03 PM
True, but the fact that it's a system that provides a little reward for doing something within the game still stands.

Not sure I get your point. I mean you're correct and I was merely specifying the closest comparison to what you described. I don't think there's any dispute here sir

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-23, 11:13 PM
I'm confused. What was wrong with what I said? :smallconfused:

Meta
2010-08-23, 11:18 PM
I'm confused. What was wrong with what I said? :smallconfused:

The "true, but" part. I thought you thought i was correcting you so tried to clarify i wasnt. silly internet speak

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-08-23, 11:22 PM
Okay. Let us forget this confusion ever happened. I'm looking forward to seeing what these "proofs" are.

Meta
2010-08-24, 12:00 AM
Okay. Let us forget this confusion ever happened. I'm looking forward to seeing what these "proofs" are.

Sounds like a plan. And as soon as we pick up playing again (3 days :smallbiggrin:) we may start to get some!