PDA

View Full Version : Building a City [Dresden Files]

Hal
2010-08-22, 10:45 PM
I've already brought up the game once before, here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163092&highlight=Dresden+Files). My question this time around regards city building. I realize that the authors suggest this be a collaboration for your group, but I thought I'd query the playground on this one, too.

I'm planning on setting my game in St. Louis. As suggested by the authors, I did some searching for ghost stories and urban legends from the area. I found three I found relevant.

First, a location in the region referred to as "Zombie Road." This area apparently spawned a lot of urban legends over the years.

Next, the very large Catholic presence in St. Louis. This is most relevant because the exorcism depicted in the movie "The Exorcism" supposedly took place in St. Louis.

Finally, there is supposedly a large network of natural caves which run beneath the region, and around the city in particular.

I have a few inklings of what I could do with these things. Still, I'm curious what other Dresden fans would do with this setting. Any ideas?

Blackfish
2010-08-23, 12:10 AM
I am but an amateur DM in the Dresden Files RPG, but I would do as follows:

1. Have the PCs go out hunting an artifact in the Zombie Road, only to be stranded and have to fight their way back to St. Louis, keeping the artifact from falling into the hands of the undead.

2. Have a secretive organization of Catholics that hunt the supernatural community indiscriminately, not differentiating between abominable demons and hapless wizard PIs.

3. All of these options are great to work with, but these caves are a gold mine. Is there a sinister cult below the city? An enclave of exiled White Council wizards? Could it be inhabited by the Dwarves, an obscure races of Nordic ancestry from deep within the Nevernever? Maybe the remains of the populace of the original St. Louis fled into these tunnels generations ago and were killed by the great evil that even now sleeps below the city, rebuilt after the horrible incident.

The possibilities are endless.