PDA

View Full Version : Simple pile of rocks...4E

FullofQuestions
2010-08-22, 11:18 PM
So the situation is this. I have two ways my party can go. Both ways, they have seen, have what looks like a simple pile of rocks at the end of them. Both ways also have monsters between them and the rocks. I have a few ideas of how to incorporate them into the game, but I am looking for others. Anything simple or extravagant (even if it leads to another adventure) is appreciated.

I should edit and say that this pile of rocks in only a small knee high pile, and they are about the size of marshmallows.

mobdrazhar
2010-08-22, 11:31 PM
The pile of rocks is actually a sleeping Earth Elemental?

Gralamin
2010-08-22, 11:55 PM
So the situation is this. I have two ways my party can go. Both ways, they have seen, have what looks like a simple pile of rocks at the end of them. Both ways also have monsters between them and the rocks. I have a few ideas of how to incorporate them into the game, but I am looking for others. Anything simple or extravagant (even if it leads to another adventure) is appreciated.

I should edit and say that this pile of rocks in only a small knee high pile, and they are about the size of marshmallows.

Well lets call them Pile A and Pile B.

If PCs go to Pile A, perhaps they find (With a perception check) that the rocks have been carefully cut open an resealed. Inside the rocks are some illegal materials - Drugs, etc. The PCs now have to figure out who was smuggling them.

On the other hand, if the PCs go to Pile B, they find that the rocks actually cover a small mosaic of some kind, which shows a map with some place of interest marked.

fknm
2010-08-22, 11:57 PM
You're far more ambitious than my DM would have been. He'd only have one thing to be found, and both piles of rocks would lead to it- if we'd have bothered searching the second pile, we'd find nothing there.

So just pick one idea (like the contraband one), and leave the other pile as a red herring.

cupkeyk
2010-08-23, 03:19 AM
I was a scout when I was young. Your question reminded me of cairns. :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_signs

Skill challenge!

dsmiles
2010-08-23, 04:05 AM
Or, One pile of rocks could uncover a secret entrance to the Underdark, and the other could cover the entrance to a purple worm's tunnel complex.

Myatar_Panwar
2010-08-23, 04:16 AM
Under each tiny pile of rocks are the tiny mangled bodies of adventurers. If one of your players opens the tiny closed fist of the party wizard, they find a note that reads: "We should have just payed for the pizza..."

Cue delivery man.

Randel
2010-08-23, 03:45 PM
Closer inspection of the rocks shows that they are the smashed statues of people. Cue a group of Gorgons appearing and ambushing the party.

FullofQuestions
2010-08-24, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I like the one about the rocks carrying something. Right now, my party could use some currency, so I might see if they notice that the rocks are disguised and actually contain jewels.

Shatteredtower
2010-08-24, 12:41 AM
If you want to be cruel, the piles are each 'salt and sugar', with the party needing to identify them (arcana, dungeoneering, nature) and then separate the substances into two separate piles that, if placed correctly, will make the monsters easier to fight, possibly even willing to assist or reward the party.

For example, coal and granite might have been mixed to imprison two mighty elementals or giants. The guards might be servitors or manifestations of their frustration. Perhaps they oppose one another and the party must choose which to free. Maybe it's not safe to save either, but freeing both gives the party a chance to exploit a stand off between them.

Perhaps their union empowers guardians that combine both elements. As the substances are separated, they grow weaker, vanishing if the task (skill challenge?) can be completed quickly enough.

A simpler version calls for identifying specific stones within a pile, finding its mate in the other, and figuring out which monster is vulnerable to which set.

Colmarr
2010-08-24, 12:47 AM
There was a horror movie where a group of people got trapped in a cave-in while exploring some tunnels. They used little piles of stones to track which tunnels they had been down...

and returned some time later to find that the "bad things" had put little piles of stones in front of all the tunnels.

Not sure how useful that might be to you in a D&D session, but it sure chilled the bejebus out of me at the time...