PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Arcane Archer

Grifthin
2010-08-23, 06:07 AM
What would the best entry be into this class if you are planning on taking a full 10 levels ? Is it best to go rogue with minor and magic abilities to get the required level 1 spell or is best to go in with a wizard/fighter multiclass of some sort ?

PId6
2010-08-23, 06:41 AM
Is this PF core only? If so, I'd probably go with something like Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 3/Arcane Archer 9/Eldritch Knight +2. It's not great compared to Wiz 20, but you do manage to get 8th level spells and 17 BAB, as well as all the Arcane Archer abilities worth caring about, so it makes for a decent archer-gish.

If 3.5 is allowed, your options are much more varied.

Grifthin
2010-08-23, 07:24 AM
It's just pathfinder core.

BobVosh
2010-08-23, 10:39 AM
I did PId6's build for a game I played. After which I decided PF doesn't have any spells that are really decent for AA. I never once used imbue arrow. Death arrow was a joke, even after the DM changed the DC to int instead of cha.

If you have the advance player's guide or are willing to use the PRD I might recommend witch. http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch

Gnaeus
2010-08-23, 11:20 AM
Mine is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3. Also note that with strength bonuses, a Dragon Disciple is close to being as good an archer as an arcane archer.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-08-23, 02:27 PM
Mine is Paladin 2/Sorcerer 3. Also note that with strength bonuses, a Dragon Disciple is close to being as good an archer as an arcane archer.
thats a long way away from the required BAB +6

is the Arcane Archer even worth the trouble?
I remember being remarkably unimpressed when I checked the thing under 3.5

Paul H
2010-08-23, 08:25 PM
Hi

Yes - in Pathfinder, Arcane Archer isn't too bad.

As for spells, don't forget the new Advanced Players' Guide. Haven't read all the alternate class/race abilities, but how's this for a spell:

Gravity Bow
School transmutation; Level ranger 1, sorcerer/wizard 1
Casting Time 1 standard action
Components V, S
Range personal
Target you
Duration 1 minute/level (D)
Gravity bow significantly increases the weight and density of
arrows or bolts fired from your bow or crossbow the instant
before they strike their target and then return them to normal
a few moments later. Any arrow fired from a bow or crossbow
you are carrying when the spell is cast deals damage as if one
size larger than it actually is. For instance, an arrow fired from
a Medium longbow normally deals 1d8 points of damage,
but it would instead deal 2d6 points of damage if fired from
a gravity bow (see page 145 of the Core Rulebook for more
information). Only you can benefit from this spell. If anyone
else uses your bow to make an attack the arrows deal damage
as normal for their size.

Paladins are OK, but their Smite only affects one creature. (Even if it's until either you or it goes down)!

Don't forget Arcane Strike & Deadly Aim. The first grants a bonus to damage based on CL, the second is Power Attack for ranged weapons. (Power Attack works differently in Pathfinder).

Thanks
Paul H

Snake-Aes
2010-08-23, 08:34 PM
thats a long way away from the required BAB +6

is the Arcane Archer even worth the trouble?
I remember being remarkably unimpressed when I checked the thing under 3.5

Pathfinder's arcane archer is much better. You progress 7 caster levels (a wiz10/abj champion 2/aa8 would get cl 18 and BAB 15) and the added enhancements aren't of the basic +X type, so you will benefit from such enhancements on your bow/ammo. I saw somewhere a bab 20 cl 20 abjurant champion arcane archer duskblade...

Paul H
2010-08-23, 09:24 PM
Hi

Nice idea - but it's PF only.

Quick question - is Core just the Core Rulebook, or can you use Chronicles & Adv Palyers' Guide? Just asking because Holy Warrior (Cleric variant in Chronicles, Pg 43) grants spells, D10 HP, full BAB, but no Domain spells/powers.

So Elven Holy Warrior 5/Diviner 2/Arcane Archer might be doable. Add 3 levels Mystic Theurge.

At level 20:
BAB 17
Arcane 12 (6th lvl spells)
Divine CL 8 (4th lvl spells)
Base Saves F 10 R 7 W 12
HP 5D10+2D6+10D10+3D6

Thanks
Paul H