PDA

View Full Version : Best ruleset for Delta Green

Name_Here
2010-08-23, 08:17 AM
I bought the Delta Green sourcebook thinking it was a full fledged gaming system. Admittadly I haven't finished reading the book but unless the rules are shorter than anysystem I've ever read they aren't going to be back there.

So it looks like I'll have to purchase a ruleset if I want to do a Delta Green campaign. It looks like they set everything up to use the Call of Cuthulu or the D20 modern ruleset. Which one should I go with, I love the rules of CoC the fact that it's not a matter of if the investigators are going to go insane but a matter of when. But this isn't a huge benefit for a long running campaign with a constant crew of investigators. d20 on the other hand provide the wins that I like to give my players but the lack of an insanity stat would make playing it like sailing a boat without water it just isn't right.

So what do you think? Should I go with ole reliable d20 or go with the brutal and uncaring CoC rules?

hamishspence
2010-08-23, 08:21 AM
Unearthed Arcana has a set of Insanity rules for D20, if you don't have the D20 CoC book. I'm not sure if the SRD has those rules. It does have Taint, which may do instead.

D20 modern is slightly more survivable than D20 CoC though- since the characters are more powerful.

EDIT: the SRD does have Insanity too:

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantCampaigns.htm

Name_Here
2010-08-23, 08:34 AM
Unearthed Arcana has a set of Insanity rules for D20, if you don't have the D20 CoC book. I'm not sure if the SRD has those rules. It does have Taint, which may do instead.

D20 modern is slightly more survivable than D20 CoC though- since the characters are more powerful.

EDIT: the SRD does have Insanity too:

http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/variantCampaigns.htm

Oh awesome. I guess it's meant to be used with the d20 CoC then something I had no idea was even made.

How well does it work at getting the feel? I've only played a few games of the old %tile CoC and it was so brutal I loved it.

hamishspence
2010-08-23, 08:37 AM
D20 Cthulhu is pretty brutal- very low damage threshold- lots of weapons have a good chance of forcing the person to make a Fort save or die.

Even a 20th level adventurer is in deep trouble against a couple of Dark Young of Shub-Niggurath- since D20 Cthulhu guys generally don't have access to magic weapons.

Playing D20 Modern with the Insanity system though- may be a little easier. D20 Modern characters are a little tougher (but more fun to play).

Also- in D20 Cthulhu it suggests that D&D-type adventurers get Sanity Resistance- subtract 3 points from all instances of Sanity loss caused by seeing a monster.

If you don't have the D20 Cthulhu book- you could convert up your own Cthulhu Mythos D20 monsters. Or use stand-ins. For example, Kuo-toa are very like Deep Ones, and an issue of Dragon Magazine even has human/kuo-toa hybrids appearing human and turning into Kuo-toa as they age.