PDA

View Full Version : Elphay ithway omesay atinlay orfay away orystay? (Latin help anyone?)

Malfunctioned
2010-08-23, 09:59 AM
So I'm writing a story of my very own and I've come across a bit of trouble. One of the groups in the story are an order of monster-hunters created from a secretive militaristic wing of the catholic church, since the order is pretty old I decided to give them a latin name to help show this. The name is the pretty self explanatory Lamiavenatoris which I believe translates as Witchhunter. Would this be right?

The other one I am looking for is for the name of a sword, so far all I can think of is the incredibly cliché Dragon's Tooth which I haven't been able to translate yet. Any help on this and/or other suggestions would be amazing.

Thanks in advance.

Kneenibble
2010-08-23, 10:17 AM
Latin doesn't form compound nouns like the first one, and it's backwards -- right now it says "hunter's witch." Lamiarum Venator(es) (plural) would be the way to use the words you chose. Just so yous know, Lamia is a Greek loanword: more Latiny words for witch include venefica, saga, incantrix, &c.

edit I'm trying to think of agent nouns taking a case other than genitive, in case he wanted to do "Order of the Witch Hunters" and avoid a double plural genitive faux pas, but I can't think of any examples. Can they, O somebody with more Latinitas than I?

As for the second one, Dens Draconis is the easiest translation.

Malfunctioned
2010-08-23, 10:19 AM
Latin doesn't form compound nouns like the first one, and it's backwards -- right now it says "hunter's witch." Lamiarum Venator(es) (plural) would be the way to use the words you chose. Just so yous know, Lamia is a Greek loanword: more Latiny words for witch include venefica, saga, incantrix, &c.

As for the second one, Dens Draconis is the easiest translation.

*takes notes*

Thanks this will really help. :smallbiggrin:

I quite like the sound of Venatores Venefica actually and Dens Draconis sounds good to me as well.

Again, this is very much appreciated. :smallsmile:

Kneenibble
2010-08-23, 10:21 AM
It would be Venatores Veneficarum (that does have a ring to it), Sagarum, or Incantricium, respectively. & you're very welcome.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-08-23, 10:25 AM
I told you Kneen would help :smallcool: