PDA

View Full Version : Wild Shaping into Vermin [3.x]

backpackjack
2010-08-23, 01:40 PM
Sometimes it's good to be the party member who drinks the liquid from the fountain . . . my character may now wild shape into one type of vermin. At each level I can choose, it seems, to forego my previous choice and update to another vermin creature. I'm at 10th level and, apparently, I have the same restrictions as a druid of the same level who took the Vermin Wild Shape feat., except that I can only change into this form twice per day, but I can stay in that form for as many hour as I have levels. Size and HD restrictions are similar to a druid.

I am not all that familiar with vermin creatures. Any suggestions for the vermin I should consider as I progress with this character?
:smallbiggrin:

ps. I put this here as it's a homebrew effect. If I have this in the wrong forum, please let me know.

Jarrick
2010-08-23, 02:30 PM
Scorpions and crabs (Stormwrack). If you're up to speed on the grapple rules, they're pretty deadly. Otherwise anything with a fly speed. Spiders are fun too.

jiriku
2010-08-23, 02:32 PM
You can serve as a flying mount for an ally in giant wasp form. Giant bees fly as fast as eagles, but are bigger and stronger (and can make honey!).

hamishspence
2010-08-23, 02:40 PM
How about a Giant dragonfly from Arms & Equipment Guide, or Dragon Magazine?

There's also a Giant slug that sprays acid in one of the 3.5 Dragon issues.

Jarrick
2010-08-23, 02:43 PM
There's also a Giant slug that sprays acid in one of the 3.5 Dragon issues.

Wasnt there one of those in naruto too? :smalltongue:

Looking through my books, there's the leechwalker from MM2 as an interesting choice.

hamishspence
2010-08-23, 02:52 PM
Wouldn't know- haven't seen Naruto.

Refluffed slightly to have a shell (no mechanical difference) it's possible to replicate in giant form one of the funny monsters in the OoTS strips in Dragon:

"I am a vampiric half-dragon half-troll lycanthropic fiendish Snail! Tremble at my illogical glory!"

(Fiendish to turn it into magical beast, half-troll to turn it into giant, so it qualifies for lycanthrope (any of the right size), half-dragon, so it qualifies for Vampiric Dragon template).

Jarrick
2010-08-23, 02:57 PM
If your DM is a sucker the permissive type, you could try to convince him that harpoon spiders (MM3) are close enough to vermin that you could probably change into one. :smallamused:

jiriku
2010-08-23, 04:12 PM
A giant stag beetle is one of the lowest-HD forms to have the Trample ability, and has a very respectable bite attack. All of the other tramplers available before level 15 are in splatbooks, so if you don't have access to splatbooks, GSB is the only trampling game in town until you can do elephant.

Giant praying mantis offers an interesting combination of abilities with flight, improved grab, Large size and good strength, and respectable Hide and Spot bonuses.

Monstrous spiders can get you web-throwing, tremorsense (excellent), a climb speed, and a very impressive suite of skill bonuses.

backpackjack
2010-08-23, 09:17 PM
Thanks. It really looks as if they have not fleshed out vermin all that well.