PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law 4 (4 Times The Mayhem!)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Lix Lorn
2010-10-15, 04:34 PM
OMIGOD? SHE'S HIS DAUGHTER??!?!

...who is he? XD

HalfTangible
2010-10-15, 04:40 PM

...who is he? XD

YOU DON'T KNOW WHO HE IS?! :smallfurious:

*steals back all the cookies*

I don't know you anymore.

I assume some big merchant guy =/

Allan Surgite
2010-10-15, 04:42 PM
Radic is everyone's daughter, Matt.

Minor comment on Panel 4; one would expect Lloyd's speech bubble to be lower than it is. If not for context, one could interpret that he was saying it before Radic/Serrin's united cry. But it is, admittedly minor; one could just have Radic/Serrin's cry in one panel with a deadpan Lloyd, which might work better... although again, it is minor.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-15, 04:44 PM

...who is he? XD

The Golden Eagle Shipping And Trading Company. Quilla=Aquilla=Eagle. Radic and her brother Aludean have golden hair. Their father Dagan Quilla has golden hair, though it's starting to turn gray. Radic has made multiple references to her family and trade routes and business deals and shows acute knowledge of advertising and merchandise. They live in Runite, a mercantile city-state in southern Kyare that was built on commerce; a port city in the middle of a swamp that is known as "The Gateway To The Southern Islands."

Do you see it yet? If not, highlight the text: Radic's father, Dagan Quilla, is the owner of one of the largest shipping and trading corporations in Runite, THE mercantile city in the entire continent of Nordica, and quite possibly all of Aequar. She and Alu are expected to take over the corporation. Radic Quilla, the druid of Team Gale, is a city slicker and the only daughter of one of the richest non-noble men in the continent.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-15, 04:45 PM
...wow, you like defying stereotypes... GO COFFEE!

HalfTangible
2010-10-15, 04:46 PM
...wow, you like defying stereotypes... GO COFFEE!

Who doesn't? >.>

Allan Surgite
2010-10-15, 04:49 PM
Who doesn't? >.>
People who embody the stereotypes, one would presume.

And most of the time, people don't realise they're writing stereotypes while they're writing it.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-15, 04:59 PM
People who embody the stereotypes, one would presume.

And most of the time, people don't realise they're writing stereotypes while they're writing it.

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid it. So, what do you think of this update? *Sigh* Can't update until next Friday...:smallfrown:

Allan Surgite
2010-10-15, 05:13 PM
I normally operate on a basis of discussing faults; anything uncommented on tends to be a "thumbs-up", generally speaking. So, my above comment on Panel 4; the final panel also looks a little cluttered (and, of course, the |: expression on everyone's favourite silent quadruped), but that's even more minor than my Panel 4 thoughts.

Darklord Xavez
2010-10-15, 06:03 PM
I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it. 8D

Agreed.:smallbiggrin:

#89: Golden Eagle Shipping And Trading

Grrrrrrrrrrrr... breaking the fourth wall. NO LIEKS!
-Xavez

Lix Lorn
2010-10-15, 06:05 PM
I like fourth wall breaking...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-15, 06:08 PM
Agreed.:smallbiggrin:

Grrrrrrrrrrrr... breaking the fourth wall. NO LIEKS!
-Xavez

I like breaking the 4th wall. And please don't quote images; it really eats into my bandwith.

Darklord Xavez
2010-10-15, 06:16 PM
I like breaking the 4th wall. And please don't quote images; it really eats into my bandwith.

Sorry. Fixed.
-Xavez

HalfTangible
2010-10-15, 06:45 PM
heh heh... 'shipping' :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2010-10-15, 08:44 PM

I do it in my fan comic sometimes too. Its fun to insult yourself.:smallbiggrin:

Geno9999
2010-10-15, 09:39 PM
I like fourth wall breaking...

Fourth Wall? We had a Fourth Wall?
Huh, for a while I thought we didn't have one.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-15, 09:46 PM
Uggh, I really really want to just skip the next comic and go to #91, but I can't because I can't skip #90 and #100 is soon!

Marnath
2010-10-15, 11:25 PM
Hehe, I love it that Radic is a city girl, I totally didn't see that coming. I bet Giana and Terrence are actually gonna be done at the castle well before dusk, and they just need some alone time before they come back. :smallwink:

....Where did Tinder go? :smallconfused:

RdMarquis
2010-10-16, 02:02 AM
Matt's not freaking out, at least. But maybe he just doesn't know who the guy is. :smalltongue: Since they know they're in a comic, will they be using that to their advantage at any point?

By the way, only having three fingers makes for some unusual looking gestures.

Lycan 01
2010-10-16, 03:28 AM
Aw, I was going to say her dad was a crime lord. I was looking forward to random speculations. :smalltongue:

I don't get how the title breaks the fourth wall. Lloyd directly saying he was in a comic was obvious 4th wall shattering, though. A bit too far for my taste, but okay since it wasn't a serious panel anyway.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-16, 07:45 AM
Hehe, I love it that Radic is a city girl, I totally didn't see that coming. I bet Giana and Terrence are actually gonna be done at the castle well before dusk, and they just need some alone time before they come back. :smallwink:

....Where did Tinder go? :smallconfused:

Tinder's in the back. And who knows? :smalltongue:

Matt's not freaking out, at least. But maybe he just doesn't know who the guy is. :smalltongue: Since they know they're in a comic, will they be using that to their advantage at any point?

By the way, only having three fingers makes for some unusual looking gestures.

Eh, if this were an actual DnD game, I would rule that she gets a bonus to any commerce-related skill checks.

Hyoumu Yau
2010-10-16, 06:50 PM
Zachary is now Zakhar.

You know, Zakhar sounds similar to the russian word for sugar. :smalltongue:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-16, 06:53 PM
'ZACHARY IS NOW ZAKHAR.
I'm on a wolf.'
(dahdahdahdah, dahdahdah!) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owGykVbfgUE)

Allan Surgite
2010-10-16, 07:09 PM
Now, see, if it was "salt", I could make some dreadful pun about Zakhar rubbing salt in the wounds.

But it doesn't, and "rubbing sugar in the wounds" just doesn't make sense.

MoleMage
2010-10-16, 07:12 PM
Now, see, if it was "salt", I could make some dreadful pun about Zakhar rubbing salt in the wounds.

Trying to cause an infection?

Allan Surgite
2010-10-16, 07:15 PM
From sugar? I'd imagine that one would be better off using dirt.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-16, 07:24 PM

What's the Russian word for sugar then? And actually, I was looking for the Russian equivalent to Zachary. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-10-16, 11:57 PM
Eh, if this were an actual DnD game, I would rule that she gets a bonus to any commerce-related skill checks.

Plus she probably has at least a few ranks in Appraise.

Hyoumu Yau
2010-10-17, 12:56 PM

Well, I know, I said it just because I didn't have something better to do at that moment, apparently.
I don't follow the thread discussions so I actually have no clue what Zakhar is.

What's the Russian word for sugar then? And actually, I was looking for the Russian equivalent to Zachary. :smalltongue:

Сахар. Don't know if it shows up right, because of the different alphabet -> different encoding/encryption etc.

Well it's actually nearly the same, only without the K and with an S. "Sahar", if you write in the roman alphabet.

CWater
2010-10-18, 04:16 AM
Heehee...:smalltongue: Hmm, a druid in charge of a large corporation...that would certainly be interesting...

Lord Raziere
2010-10-18, 08:23 AM
Heehee...:smalltongue: Hmm, a druid in charge of a large corporation...that would certainly be interesting...

global warming would be solved. Or at least, made the first priority.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 05:41 AM

Got that right. :smalltongue: She'd also provide massive funding for public works projects and park and the like.

Update Friday. Be extra nice in case college admission people come looking. Hi college admission people! It's me, the author. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

HalfTangible
2010-10-20, 07:10 AM

donotresponddonotresponddonotresponddonotresponddo notresponddonotresponddonotresponddonotrespond...

too late...

Draconi Redfir
2010-10-20, 02:33 PM

when he causes trouble he always sugercoats it?

Marnath
2010-10-20, 04:49 PM
Got that right. :smalltongue: She'd also provide massive funding for public works projects and park and the like.

Update Friday. Be extra nice in case college admission people come looking. Hi college admission people! It's me, the author. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

Awesome! I like updates. :smallsmile:

Hiya College peoples! This webcomic has quite a following, combined Coffee's 4 Murphy's Law threads so far have like 100,000 views or something.( I was too lazy to check :smalltongue:)

mucat
2010-10-20, 04:55 PM
Be extra nice in case college admission people come looking. Hi college admission people! It's me, the author. Thanks for taking the time to look at this!

And for that matter, it's me, your friendly neighborhood academic, saying

(1) I would be honored to count Coffee as a student at any school I taught at,

and
(2) This is perhaps the most unusual venue for a recommendation letter I've ever written. :smallsmile:

Devmaar
2010-10-20, 05:04 PM

I haven't commented before but I've been reading for a while and I think this shows a lot of talent and commitment.

Also, I really like the comic :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 05:14 PM
I haven't commented before but I've been reading for a while and I think this shows a lot of talent and commitment.

Also, I really like the comic :smallsmile:

Thank you, Devmaar.

Awesome! I like updates. :smallsmile:

Hiya College peoples! This webcomic has quite a following, combined Coffee's 4 Murphy's Law threads so far have like 100,000 views or something.( I was too lazy to check :smalltongue:)

Wow, really?! :smallredface:

And for that matter, it's me, your friendly neighborhood academic, saying

(1) I would be honored to count Coffee as a student at any school I taught at,

and
(2) This is perhaps the most unusual venue for a recommendation letter I've ever written. :smallsmile:

Wow. Ha...Thank you, Mucat. (And you do know that the second sentence is begging to be explained further, right? :smalltongue:)

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 05:22 PM
Coffee is a wonderful person and wonderful writer, and I'm glad to call her friend, and honoured if she reciprocates. :)

mucat
2010-10-20, 05:30 PM
(And you do know that the second sentence is begging to be explained further, right? :smalltongue:)

It wasn't meant to be an unexplained mystery. :smallsmile:

Ordinarily, when I write to an admissions committee to recommend a student, it's on official Department letterhead, in a dignified typeface, and so on. I just found it funny to be dropping a recommendation on an internet forum for random passing admissions officials to read: "Hey, c'mon. Anyone who can write like this and keep a discerning and sophisticated audience like us on tentherhooks for the next episode, has got to be a valuable addition to your school, right?"

(I offer bonus points to any admissions official who can define "tenterhooks". To the best of my knowledge, they're hooks that relate somehow to tents, but googling the exact definition would just ruin the mystery.)

Lix Lorn
2010-10-20, 05:31 PM
...I just got your avatar. XD
I thought it was an M til now.

Marnath
2010-10-20, 05:32 PM
Wow, really?! :smallredface:

Adding the views of Thread 1,2 and 3, I came up with 107,298 views. :smallamused:
This one is sitting at 29,017 views as of now.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-20, 05:37 PM
It wasn't meant to be an unexplained mystery. :smallsmile:

Ordinarily, when I write to an admissions committee to recommend a student, it's on official Department letterhead, in a dignified typeface, and so on. I just found it funny to be dropping a recommendation on an internet forum for random passing admissions officials to read: "Hey, c'mon. Anyone who can write like this and keep a discerning and sophisticated audience like us on tentherhooks for the next episode, has got to be a valuable addition to your school, right?"

(I offer bonus points to any admissions official who can define "tenterhooks". To the best of my knowledge, they're hooks that relate somehow to tents, but googling the exact definition would just ruin the mystery.)

Okay, I'm quoting your post on the front page when I update the comic on Friday, because it would be too much to ask the admission officials to slog through nearly 50 pages of posts.

Coffee is a wonderful person and wonderful writer, and I'm glad to call her friend, and honoured if she reciprocates. :)

:smallredface: Thanks. Okay then.

Adding the views of Thread 1,2 and 3, I came up with 107,298 views. :smallamused:
This one is sitting at 29,017 views as of now.

*Slow whistle* Hoo boy.

Marnath
2010-10-20, 05:57 PM
It's not hyperbole when we call this one of the most popular webcomics in the fan section. :smallbiggrin:

You have a lot of readers, Coffee. O.o

Keeping in mind that a portion of those are people who read all the threads, but that's still arguably tens of thousands of people.

Devmaar
2010-10-20, 06:02 PM
Yeah, enough readers to get to four threads of commenting. And that's after accounting for people like me who's been reading since thread 2 but only just got to posting here.

MoleMage
2010-10-20, 06:12 PM
Yeah, enough readers to get to four threads of commenting. And that's after accounting for people like me who's been reading since thread 2 but only just got to posting here.

And me, the same. Actually, the first time I saw this was on thread one, then I went a while about my business and eventually thought "Where'd that one fancomic go? I liked that one. So I tracked it down, that was mid-late thread 2.

As a student myself, my opinion may not weigh in much on the college admissions people, but I throw my support in for Cof, too.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-20, 06:15 PM
Reading since... thread 1 I think, but never really cometing till late thread two...and I am somewhat inconsistant on comenting, but I really enjoy Murphy's Law.

I am amazed Coffee's ability as both a writer and an artist, and for what it's worth, she has my full support.

Lord Raziere
2010-10-20, 06:22 PM
Yea, yea I support Coffee or whatever. Anyone who acknowledges the flaws in fantasy and goes about fixing them earns my approval.

Darklord Xavez
2010-10-21, 05:12 PM

Same here, but I started posting at the beginning of thread 3, but maybe nearer the end of thread 2.
-Xavez

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-21, 06:52 PM
always*lurking*

My first post on thread 1! It seems that I keep the same... :smalltongue:

Do I really need to say that I love this comic? :smallredface:

RdMarquis
2010-10-21, 09:20 PM
I have to chime in on supporting Coffee. She's created a great comic with well thought out and interesting characters (the same could be said for the world that the story is set in).

Mystic Muse
2010-10-21, 09:35 PM
Started reading thread 1, thought the comic ended for some reason (Can't recall why. Never saw the next thread for some reason) And started again at thread 3

Love this comic. Third favorite webcomic and is very close to eclipsing antiheroes due to the update frequency of that one.

Unlike Darklord Xavez I love it when characters break the fourth wall.

HalfTangible
2010-10-21, 10:21 PM
I lurked this forum for a long while before actually posting anything making an account, but i think i started near the end of thread 3

Mina Kobold
2010-10-22, 01:42 AM
I think I first saw the comic around the time it started, been posting erratically since thread 3.

The comic is awesome, has great characters, a fun storyline and general amounts of awesomesauce. But what makes it really great is Coffee, she's funny, smart and good at cross-Internet hypnotising people to buy Legend of Zelda games :smalltongue:

Silverraptor
2010-10-22, 04:03 PM
I'm always going to be here, on the account that I encouraged her to make this comic.:smallsmile:

Mystic Muse
2010-10-22, 04:05 PM
I'm always going to be here, on the account that I encouraged her to make this comic.:smallsmile:

Speaking of comics silverraptor *Points to the link of idiosyncrasy*

Silverraptor
2010-10-22, 04:42 PM
Speaking of comics silverraptor *Points to the link of idiosyncrasy*

I know, I know. I will probably start Idiosyncrasy again after I finish the 1st story arc of Paladin Academy.:smallcool:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-22, 04:48 PM
Friday, how I love thee.

#90: More Appropriate As Comic 99
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/MoreAppropriateAsComic99.png

Zexion
2010-10-22, 04:49 PM
Sweet, a new character! :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-22, 04:51 PM
A drow... female, I believe...
I don't get the title. XD

Devmaar
2010-10-22, 04:58 PM
Awesome:smallbiggrin:

CWater
2010-10-22, 05:16 PM
Hoo...interesting...:smallamused:

Also, Matts first speach bubble is missing something...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-22, 05:18 PM
Hoo...interesting...:smallamused:

Also, Matts first speach bubble is missing something...

*Groans* Goddammit. I'll take care of it right now.

And what makes it interesting?

Silverraptor
2010-10-22, 05:20 PM
Boy, if those people only knew how loved Serrin was loved her entire life, they won't be saying stuff like that again.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-22, 05:21 PM
That is why my Pathfinder character wears a hood.

Well, it is out of character. I don't think many of my characters ever think that far ahead in character :smalltongue:

Lycan 01
2010-10-22, 05:33 PM
Awesome! A non-homicidally maniacal Drow! I like it! :smallbiggrin:

Why's Serrin so freaked out though? I thought Drow were somewhat accepted since, IIRC, there was one at the magic academy.

I'm guessing she'll just be a supporting character, since the party is already full. Or at least, I seem to recall you saying it was full. Or is this perhaps a random new surprise PC? Let the theorizing begin! XD

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-22, 05:37 PM
Awesome! A non-homicidally maniacal Drow! I like it! :smallbiggrin:

Why's Serrin so freaked out though? I thought Drow were somewhat accepted since, IIRC, there was one at the magic academy.

I'm guessing she'll just be a supporting character, since the party is already full. Or at least, I seem to recall you saying it was full. Or is this perhaps a random new surprise PC? Let the theorizing begin! XD

It startled her. Also, everyone was yelling at her because of the "Are you suicidal walking with a hooded stranger into a secluded alley?!"

And you'll see! :smallwink:

Lycan 01
2010-10-22, 05:40 PM
So was she expecting a Drow, or another Half-Elf?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-22, 05:42 PM
So was she expecting a Drow, or another Half-Elf?

She wasn't sure what to expect. Also, even if drow are more accepted in elven (Almerian; their land is called Almir) society, there's still a hooded drow trying to sell you stuff and wanting you to go in a back alley while your friends are screaming that this is a trap.

Lord Raziere
2010-10-22, 05:48 PM
As a person who actually likes Drizzt Do'Urden, I hope it turns out well for the drow.

RdMarquis
2010-10-22, 07:50 PM
Heh, it looks like even Fir was more suspicious than Serrin when that Drow asked her to go into the dark alleyway. Though considering how completely suspicious that sounded, she actually might not have been trying to mug Serrin. Maybe she had some illegal magic items for sale.

Marnath
2010-10-22, 07:50 PM
As a person who actually likes Drizzt Do'Urden, I hope it turns out well for the drow.

I mirror this sentiment. I'd like to think they treat her well. I mean, they travel with a freaking dragon, so it would be a bit hypocritical to treat the drow like a pariah.

Here's to hoping Serrin's face in the last panel is guilt at hurting the drow's eyes, and not "omg a drow! Kill it!" because I'd feel sad to find out she's a bigot. :smalltongue:

*edit: In panel 4, is Serrin saying it wasn't nice to call her an idiot, or not nice to accuse the stranger of trying to set up a mugging?

mucat
2010-10-22, 07:59 PM
I figured Serrin's freaked-out look in the final panel was more along the iines of "Oops, sorry!" than "Help, you're scary!" Drow are sensitive to bright light, and Serrin just gave this one a face full of sunlight.

Of course, she was already freaked out in the previous panel, before she knew she was hurting the lady's eyes...at that point, I think it was just the realization ("...brethren...") that the hooded figure was an elf, and apparently an outcast. Serrin respects elven society, so she jumped to the conclusion that the hooded person must be evil or dangerous.

Marnath
2010-10-22, 08:02 PM
Wait....has Fir alwas been gray? O.o

HalfTangible
2010-10-22, 08:17 PM
My bet is they're gonna make a big deal about not judging someone based on their race, then she's gonna rob them anyway.

And i'm taking that bet mostly because i hate the idea that you should treat someone good because of their race as much as i hate the idea that you should treat them bad because of their race.

mucat
2010-10-22, 08:17 PM

Er...yes?

Speaking of whom, I always love watching Fir's expressions as she reacts to the lunacy around her. She gets angry eyebrows when Serrin is mad, but doesn't react at all when Serrin is freaking out and fomenting chaos. You can learn a lot about Serrin just by noticing what her cat is accustomed to. :smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-22, 08:52 PM
Heh, it looks like even Fir was more suspicious than Serrin when that Drow asked her to go into the dark alleyway. Though considering how completely suspicious that sounded, she actually might not have been trying to mug Serrin. Maybe she had some illegal magic items for sale.

Actually yeah, she is selling...Quasi-legal stuff. Also, Fir has a much higher wisdom than Serrin does, and knows that a stranger asking you to follow her into a back alley in the middle of a city is generally a Bad Idea.

I mirror this sentiment. I'd like to think they treat her well. I mean, they travel with a freaking dragon, so it would be a bit hypocritical to treat the drow like a pariah.

Here's to hoping Serrin's face in the last panel is guilt at hurting the drow's eyes, and not "omg a drow! Kill it!" because I'd feel sad to find out she's a bigot. :smalltongue:

*edit: In panel 4, is Serrin saying it wasn't nice to call her an idiot, or not nice to accuse the stranger of trying to set up a mugging?

I figured Serrin's freaked-out look in the final panel was more along the iines of "Oops, sorry!" than "Help, you're scary!" Drow are sensitive to bright light, and Serrin just gave this one a face full of sunlight.

Of course, she was already freaked out in the previous panel, before she knew she was hurting the lady's eyes...at that point, I think it was just the realization ("...brethren...") that the hooded figure was an elf, and apparently an outcast. Serrin respects elven society, so she jumped to the conclusion that the hooded person must be evil or dangerous.

Serrin's upset that Matt's calling her an idiot, and she's thinking, "Yah! You're a drow!" and "Aah, sorry about that!" The first one is an expression of surprise more than suspicion.

Er...yes?

Speaking of whom, I always love watching Fir's expressions as she reacts to the lunacy around her. She gets angry eyebrows when Serrin is mad, but doesn't react at all when Serrin is freaking out and fomenting chaos. You can learn a lot about Serrin just by noticing what her cat is accustomed to. :smallsmile:

Fir has always been gray and I'm glad you caught that with her expressions. :smallbiggrin:

Marnath
2010-10-22, 11:46 PM
I must be losing my mind then. I looked at Fir and suddenly she looked weird.

Asta Kask
2010-10-23, 05:02 AM
They're 9th level adventurers. Anyone trying to rob them will get some nasty surprises.

Marnath
2010-10-23, 12:04 PM
They're 9th level adventurers. Anyone trying to rob them will get some nasty surprises.

QFT. Especially if they try to rob the poor little unarmed green haired kid. :smallwink:
*RAWR* Aiieeee!!!! *crunch*

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-23, 12:50 PM
QFT. Especially if they try to rob the poor little unarmed green haired kid. :smallwink:
*RAWR* Aiieeee!!!! *crunch*

He has a pair of sickles! :smalltongue:

And everybody knows that only crazy people have sickles!

half-halfling
2010-10-23, 05:43 PM
There's a simple solution for her problem :smallcool: :smallsmile: :

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/half-halfling/ml.png

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-23, 05:45 PM
There's a simple solution for her problem :smallcool: :smallsmile: :*Snip*

Ha! Too true. :smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-10-23, 07:35 PM
There's a simple solution for her problem :smallcool: :smallsmile:

Serrin should totally get her a pair next strip to apologise for blinding her. :smallsmile:

Lord Raziere
2010-10-23, 09:54 PM
There's a simple solution for her problem :smallcool: :smallsmile: :

http://i750.photobucket.com/albums/xx144/half-halfling/ml.png

beh. I came up with that solution a year ago, any mage who knows what spectacles are could solve the "drow sight" problem with minor magic, the only reason why drow aren't just walking around the surface wearing sunglasses is because everyone is too attached to medieval stasis :smallannoyed:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-23, 09:56 PM
beh. I came up with that solution a year ago, any mage who knows what spectacles are could solve the "drow sight" problem with minor magic, the only reason why drow aren't just walking around the surface wearing sunglasses is because everyone is too attached to medieval stasis :smallannoyed:

No. Here's the reason: Sunglasses with the proper polarization and UV protection are too expensive for most drow to buy. Hoods are cheaper. Also, it may protect their eyes, but drow are still extremely photosensitive. The hoods protect both their eyes and their skin. That's why they worship Erikaf, the goddess of clouds, fog, mist, and rain.

Zexion
2010-10-23, 09:58 PM
No. Here's the reason: Sunglasses with the proper polarization and UV protection are too expensive for most drow to buy. Hoods are cheaper. Also, it may protect their eyes, but drow are still extremely photosensitive. The hoods protect both their eyes and their skin. That's why they worship Erikaf, the goddess of clouds, fog, mist, and rain.
That is made of win.

Lord Raziere
2010-10-23, 10:00 PM

I was talking about DnD in general, but hey its your setting..... I can't really argue with canon after all.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-23, 10:04 PM
I was talking about DnD in general, but hey its your setting..... I can't really argue with canon after all.

I know. I'm just explaining why that isn't the case here.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-24, 03:30 AM

Beh, the kobolds came up with that idea ages ago. Without magic!

I might be misunderstanding it but isn't the whole reason that you find archmage Uniduck's spellbook in the Temple of horrible DOOM! that mages want the power for themselves and hate to share?

I also thought that the monsters was the reason that the progress is slow, hard to get that sunglasses discovery to Genericville, Averagia when you risk getting mauled by a septet of trolls just by stepping outside the city :smalltongue:

Lord Raziere
2010-10-24, 09:24 AM
Beh, the kobolds came up with that idea ages ago. Without magic!

I might be misunderstanding it but isn't the whole reason that you find archmage Uniduck's spellbook in the Temple of horrible DOOM! that mages want the power for themselves and hate to share?

I also thought that the monsters was the reason that the progress is slow, hard to get that sunglasses discovery to Genericville, Averagia when you risk getting mauled by a septet of trolls just by stepping outside the city :smalltongue:

:smallsigh:

I know I know, for some reason despite treating magic as a "science" mages always just want "MOAR POWAH!!" It grates against my nerves all the time.

No, I thought it was the idiotic gods and super-powerful beings who keep causing cataclysms and catastrophes that keep setting everything back, the trolls outside the city? they are just a symptom, not the disease.

Really sometimes it feels like fantasy is hardwired to forever be self-destructive and trapped in backward times.

I blame Tolkien. A fantasy world that is actually progressive should be made.

HalfTangible
2010-10-24, 09:29 AM

I know I know, for some reason despite treating magic as a "science" mages always just want "MOAR POWAH!!" It grates against my nerves all the time.

No, I thought it was the idiotic gods and super-powerful beings who keep causing cataclysms and catastrophes that keep setting everything back, the trolls outside the city? they are just a symptom, not the disease.

Really sometimes it feels like fantasy is hardwired to forever be self-destructive and trapped in backward times.

Fantasy worlds are progressive but in a completely different manner. They improve their magic, not their technology. Frankly why wouldn't they?

Geno9999
2010-10-24, 10:37 AM

I thought Zelda series is progressively going from "Standard Fantasy" to "Fantasy + Steampunk" with Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass, and Spirit Tracks.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-24, 10:51 AM
Fantasy worlds are progressive but in a completely different manner. They improve their magic, not their technology. Frankly why wouldn't they?

One word: Magitech.

Marnath
2010-10-24, 01:37 PM

Eberron would like a word with you, sir. Their respresentative is calling you on the magic telephone from the magic passenger train. >.>
[/offtopic]

Lord Raziere
2010-10-24, 02:05 PM
Eberron would like a word with you, sir. Their representative is calling you on the magic telephone from the magic passenger train. >.>
[/offtopic]

Already have Eberron, maybe I'm greedy, but I don't feel like its progressive enough, but it is better than most.

back on topic.....

still hope the drow comes out ok, she hasn't done anything actually bad after all.

Ranielle
2010-10-25, 06:15 AM
She should join the party!

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 04:23 PM
Oh, that is it. I'm posting the next comic tonight or tomorrow. No way I can keep it in for so long. I've been keeping this one in for almost a year.

Lycan 01
2010-10-25, 04:24 PM
That's not forboding at all...

HalfTangible
2010-10-25, 04:29 PM
Oh, that is it. I'm posting the next comic tonight or tomorrow. No way I can keep it in for so long. I've been keeping this one in for almost a year.

So she isn't a spur-of-the-moment new character party member then :smallfrown: i remember you saying somewhere Serrin was the last member you had planned for now...

The Blackbird
2010-10-25, 05:06 PM
So she isn't a spur-of-the-moment new character then :smallfrown: i remember you saying somewhere Serrin was the last member you had planned for now...

Well, I didn't see anything in that statement about her being a new party member.

HalfTangible
2010-10-25, 05:13 PM
Well, I didn't see anything in that statement about her being a new party member.

I mistyped.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 06:19 PM
After this, the title of the previous comic will make much more sense. So, without further ado...

#91: Dun Dun DUN
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/DunDunDUN.png

Lycan 01
2010-10-25, 06:23 PM
Wait, what? Who? The plot, it is twisting! :smalleek:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 06:25 PM
Wait, what? Who? The plot, it is twisting! :smalleek:

Come on. You can't say this came entirely out of the blue. :smallamused:

So, what didja think? Did I pull it off?

Zexion
2010-10-25, 06:26 PM
Come on. You can't say this came entirely out of the blue. :smallamused:

So, what didja think? Did I pull it off?
Yes. Yes you did. Awesome comic, by the way. :smallsmile:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 06:29 PM
:smalleek: Loyd Auster!!!! RUN fOR YOUR LIVES!!!! :runs to the hills:

Okk, silllines aside, this proves a really interesting plot twist, I mean, we all knew that Loyd had some serious skeletons in the closet, but to believe he actually changed his names.... (not that unlikely, but considering he is a paladin and all).

I care to guess he was a Knight Templar, and spilled to much blood for his taste or something like that.

Anitar
2010-10-25, 06:47 PM
Heauxli krappfen that is beyond words. Even in faux-French and faux-er-German.

CWater
2010-10-25, 06:48 PM
Ha! I knew he used to be a paladin of Kago!

...We getting a flashback next?:smalltongue:

It is also funny that he's previous name starts with an A and the new one with a Z. Guess he really wanted to get away from his previous life as much as possible:smallamused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 06:50 PM
Heauxli krappfen that is beyond words. Even in faux-French and faux-er-German.

Mission accomplished! :smallbiggrin:

Ha! I knew he used to be a paladin of Kago!

...We getting a flashback next?:smalltongue:

Of course! :smallbiggrin:

Silverraptor
2010-10-25, 06:50 PM
Yes! Finally! Another thing that I don't have to worry about letting slip while chatting in this thread!:smallcool: I've been avoiding saying anything based on not being entirely sure I wouldn't let anything else slip than what I have said before. (And promptly deleted soon afterwards. Sorry about those times Coffee.:smallfrown:)

Lix Lorn
2010-10-25, 07:00 PM
He musta done some REALLY bad stuff... (waits on tenterhooks)
Awesome as always, Coffee. : )

Mystic Muse
2010-10-25, 07:20 PM
I liked it. Not much else I can say.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-25, 08:47 PM
Oh, well done, Coffee!
Does 'Auster' mean anything?

He musta done some REALLY bad stuff... (waits on tenterhooks)
Awesome as always, Coffee. : )

Heh, tenterhooks. I still didn't google it.

I liked it. Not much else I can say.

Kinda speechless, right?

Mystic Muse
2010-10-25, 08:49 PM
Kinda speechless, right?

Yeah exactly.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 08:49 PM
Oh, well done, Coffee!
Does 'Auster' mean anything?

Kinda speechless, right?

"Auster" means south wind. And thanks!

Yeah exactly.

Exactly as planned. :smallamused:

John Cribati
2010-10-25, 08:51 PM
Well, I haven't commented in a while. And there's really not much to say, except now we finally get to see Lloyd do bad things.

Why am I so gleeful about that?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 08:52 PM
Ok, so loyd tried to distance himself from his form names, but still choose a name that had to do with Wind... (Zephyr was the eastern wind in greek mythology right?).

Interesting:smallamused:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-25, 08:55 PM
Yeah exactly.

Well, I haven't commented in a while. And there's really not much to say, except now we finally get to see Lloyd do bad things.

Why am I so gleeful about that?

Hidden depths?

Oh, and the TvTropes page needs quite a bit of updating after that.

Ok, so loyd tried to distance himself from his form names, but still choose a name that had to do with Wind... (Zephyr was the eastern wind in greek mythology right?).

Interesting:smallamused:

Blame me for that one. :smalltongue: And Zephyr means west wind.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-25, 08:57 PM
Hidden depths?

Oh, and the TvTropes page needs quite a bit of updating after that.

Blame me for that one. :smalltongue: And Zephyr means west wind.

Errrr.... almost.:smallredface:

John Cribati
2010-10-25, 08:57 PM
Zephyr means west wind.

Which I find really weird, because Auster sounds like that Latin word for "West"

Silverraptor
2010-10-25, 09:05 PM
Backstory is going to be terrific. I even remember making a comment about this in the first thread.

Yup.:smallamused: And I'm pretty sure that he's right, what with his past and everything.:smallamused: Hey, it would've been worse punishment if he stayed longer.:smalltongue:

Cryptic messages for the win!:smallcool:

Mystic Muse
2010-10-25, 09:45 PM
Exactly as planned. :smallamused:

Well, I still have things I can say but they don't have anything to do with the comic. They're mostly songs stuck in my head.

Ducktales! Whoohoo!

Draconi Redfir
2010-10-25, 09:57 PM
i gues he was too attached to his first name and face to get a first name change and plastic surgery :P

Marnath
2010-10-26, 01:24 AM
O.o plot twist!!

I didn't see that coming, well done. ^.^
Totally looking forward to the flashback.

Roc Ness
2010-10-26, 01:30 AM
Dun dun DUN! indeed. Great comic, Coffee. :smallsmile:

Also: Don't show a flashback! The best results always come from the reader's imagination! That's why they have epileptic trees, that's why Lovecraft was a success until somebody drew a picture of Chtulthu. Nah, indulge us. :smallbiggrin:

Heh, tenterhooks. I still didn't google it.

Y'know, tenterhooks doesn't actually mean anything dirty. Unless Lix has posted a personalised version of the definition somewhere, and rigged google to always show it first.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-26, 01:53 AM
Which I find really weird, because Auster sounds like that Latin word for "West"

Sounds like Aust/Øst/East to me, which I presume you know one of.

Also, great comic Coffee. A tad quick reveal in my opinion but that might have to do with the lack of camera angels in OotS-esque comics.

Probably just me :smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-10-26, 02:12 AM
Just had a thought: Is Lloyd's comment about "burning books leads to burning people" from personal experience? That suddenly seems likely to me.

CWater
2010-10-26, 04:56 AM
Blame me for that one. :smalltongue: And Zephyr means west wind

"Auster" means south wind.

Okay, so this was unintensional?:

It is also funny that he's previous name starts with an A and the new one with a Z. Guess he really wanted to get away from his previous life as much as possible:smallamused:

Heh, just had to ask!

...Hmm, I think I like Zephyr more, it sounds nicer.:smallsmile:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 05:40 AM
Yes, the A-Z thing was unintentional.

mucat
2010-10-26, 06:42 AM
Intentional or not, the A-Z thing is a great detail. (And makes me wonder what Zz'dtri is atoning for in Rich's comic.)

blackjack217
2010-10-26, 06:55 AM
Intentional or not, the A-Z thing is a great detail. (And makes me wonder what Zz'dtri is atoning for in Rich's comic.)

Zz'dtri = drizzt its an anagram

mucat
2010-10-26, 08:05 AM
Zz'dtri = drizzt its an anagram

I know. But now I'm equally convinced that there was a Dark Elf named Aa'wgir, who is hiding waaaaaay at the opposite end of the alphabet to atone for his past sins. :smallsmile:

(He probably talked too loud in a library.)

Lix Lorn
2010-10-26, 11:56 AM
...JFTR, Mucat, you're utterly awesome. XD

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 02:16 PM
I know. But now I'm equally convinced that there was a Dark Elf named Aa'wgir, who is hiding waaaaaay at the opposite end of the alphabet to atone for his past sins. :smallsmile:

Probably. :smalltongue: So, I really wanna know what you think of this. :smallbiggrin:

Symmys
2010-10-26, 02:49 PM
Probably. :smalltongue: So, I really wanna know what you think of this. :smallbiggrin:

Hmm. Pacing felt a bit quick to me (it seemed there should have been more of a delay between Serrin defending Lloyd and Tinder asking if he was hiding something) but it's not enough to be a problem. Dramatic reveal of a dark past (and name change) is good. Inevitable flashback showing Lloyd doing Bad Things (TM) makes my inner evil fangirl cackle with glee.

What exactly makes the paladins of Kago so bad, I wonder?

John Cribati
2010-10-26, 02:56 PM

I'd have to guess that it would be the same thing that made Miko so bad. So caugt up in performing her duty to her gods (or what she thought was her duty to her gods) she couldn't see the evil in her own actions. And seeing how Janine is under the impression that the Plavvan gods are evil and junk, it's not much of a stretch from "Their Gods are Evil" -->>"They must be evil"

HalfTangible
2010-10-26, 03:16 PM

Sounds to me like an Astrid (or non-monster class Humanoid) supremacist group. Supremacists are almost always bad in any setting.

I say 'almost' because i'm sure there's at least one setting where the only other races in existence feed on souls.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 03:21 PM
There WILL be an update on Friday.

Maxios
2010-10-26, 03:46 PM
So Lloyd had a previous identity?

Qwertystop
2010-10-26, 04:16 PM
Intentional or not, the A-Z thing is a great detail. (And makes me wonder what Zz'dtri is atoning for in Rich's comic.)Zz'dtri = drizzt its an anagram

I'm sigging this!

_:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin:i_O_Oi_:smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin:__\_/ _:smallbiggrin:
(Thats a smily madde of smilys (and text)

Also, Great Comic! I've been lurking for a while, but this was the one bit that pushed me to posting (The Lloyd thing, not the thing I'm sigging).

Ranielle
2010-10-26, 04:28 PM
Oh exploitable

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 04:29 PM
I'm sigging this!

:smallbiggrin:i_O_Oi_:smallbiggrin:
:smallbiggrin:__\_/ _:smallbiggrin:
(Thats a smily madde of smilys (and text)

Also, Great Comic! I've been lurking for a while, but this was the one bit that pushed me to posting (The Lloyd thing, not the thing I'm sigging).

Haha, thanks! :smallbiggrin:

Allan Surgite
2010-10-26, 05:02 PM
Well, well, well. I wasn't terribly surprised, but I did think that Lloyd would avoid revealing this for a little while longer.

mucat
2010-10-26, 05:33 PM

Well, it's hard to know what to think yet...except that I can't wait for #92! This strip is clearly the prelude to some huge upcoming revelations, but many of the things it tells us directly, we already knew. It was clear that Lloyd was ashamed of his past, and the way he now goes out of his way to study other religions and to preach tolerance suggest that his past crimes came because he didn't act this way before.

We didn't know he was a Paladin of Kago, but it fits the foreshadowing well. Their reputation for single-minded intolerance fits what we could guess about Lloyd's past...and since they believe that what they do is right, it confirms Lloyd was never knowingly evil. I can't imagine him doing evil intentionally, no matter how ignorant he used to be.

Still, the big revelations and possible surprises will be in the next strip (or the next few!) So the things that grabbed me most about this one are the little details. In no particular order...

I'm pretty sure Lloyd wronged this Drow woman personally, rather than just being a well-known villain who she recognizes. Lloyd's wide-eyed horror when he sees her seems less like "Crap! It's a Drow! Will she recognize me?" and more like "Crap! It's her!"

I'm curious about Matt grabbing the Drow's shoulders in Panel 4. Is he capturing her to stop her from fleeing, or steadying her to calm her down? It looks more like the latter. If so, that's a nice piece of character growth: Matt is being nice to a Plavaan stranger.

I always like watching Fir's and Remic's expressions to see what surprises the animals and what doesn't. Here, Fir makes freaked-out eyes at exactly the same points that Serrin does. So Fir also wasn't expecting the Drow's panic or Lloyd's confession. (As opposed to #86 (http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/ShellActuallyBeSensibleForOnce.png), where Serrin randomly leaping into the air and catapulting Fir skyward from her head didn't appear to surprise the cat at all, or #90 (http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/MoreAppropriateAsComic99.png) where Serrin is freaking out and shooting wind gusts at people while Fir seems to think, "Yeah. She does that.") :smallsmile:

One small art detail I thought I would mention for your consideration. The haft of Lloyd's halberd that usually hangs alongside his leg can be distracting; it either looks like he's wearing a splint on that leg, or like there's a diagonal gap in the wall behind him, with some earth and some blue sky visible through it. Do you think it might work just as well to have the blade of the halberd visible over his shoulder as usual, but have the haft disappear into hammerspace instead of paralleling his leg?

Even though I usually try to be the voice of reason and say "Don't work so hard, Coffee...we can wait for the next comic"...right now I'm thinking that Friday can't come soon enough! :smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-10-26, 07:01 PM
I think it would look weird if his halberd didn't stick past his back.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-26, 07:02 PM
Y'know, tenterhooks doesn't actually mean anything dirty. Unless Lix has posted a personalised version of the definition somewhere, and rigged google to always show it first.

I didn't think so. :smalltongue:But seeing that it was Lix who posted, it's not safe to assume...
'Tenterhooks' does have 'tent' and 'hook' in it, as pointed out by the post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9595431&postcount=1040) that brought my (and possibly Lix') comment. :smallwink:

Hmm. Pacing felt a bit quick to me (it seemed there should have been more of a delay between Serrin defending Lloyd and Tinder asking if he was hiding something) but it's not enough to be a problem. Dramatic reveal of a dark past (and name change) is good.

Tinder was already curious about that subject (Lloyd's past), so I believe he would take the first chance he had.

Inevitable flashback showing Lloyd doing Bad Things (TM) makes my inner evil fangirl cackle with glee.

I just thought: if something happens and Lloyd's explanation gets delayed, it would give me a heart attack! :smalleek:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 09:06 PM
Thanks for the commentaries, guys! And yeah, Friday can't come soon enough. :smallbiggrin:

Mystic Muse
2010-10-26, 09:16 PM
I'm personally waititng for Saturday. No school, all the comics I read are updated, and my family's halloween reunion party is that day.

Avoiding the Football game like the plague though. My one cousin got a broken jaw from it.:smalleek:

Marnath
2010-10-26, 09:25 PM
My favorite thing to do on the day of the big game is go somewhere where people are really into it, and when they ask me about it/what team I'm rooting for/etc., i ask all innocent" There's a game today? O.o" and watch their jaws hit the floor as they stutter in shock. It's funny how many people take it as a personal affront that I could not know about something so important! Hehehe ^.^

So, what about my theory?:smallconfused:

Mystic Muse
2010-10-26, 09:33 PM
Kind of hard to pretend the game doesn't exist. The only players are my cousins and it happens semi annually.

I'm allowed to just not play though.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 09:33 PM
So, what about my theory?:smallconfused:

I'm sorry, what was your theory again?

And yeah, Matt was trying to calm her down. He's getting better. :smallsmile:

Mystic Muse
2010-10-26, 09:37 PM
Okay, no more off topicness.

Can't wait for the next comic.:smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-10-26, 09:44 PM
Just had a thought: Is Lloyd's comment about "burning books leads to burning people" from personal experience? That suddenly seems likely to me.

This is what I theorized. Any merit to it? :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 09:49 PM
This is what I theorized. Any merit to it? :smalltongue:

Geez, hold your horses! Everything will be clear in time.

Marnath
2010-10-26, 09:55 PM
Geez, hold your horses! Everything will be clear in time.

:smalleek:
I sowwy. Just an innocent question, not trying to rush you.:smallfrown:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-26, 10:51 PM
Sorry, Marnath. I didn't mean that to be rude.

On a random note, here's a random factoid about Tobeem culture: Parents don't name their children until their first birthday. This is because the infant mortality rate, especially in the really cold places in Tobeem, is really high (Around 25-30%), and they don't want to name the kids until they have a higher chance of surviving.

Also, Matt's full name is Matthew Reed Silver.

Marnath
2010-10-26, 11:17 PM
That's a really high mortality rate. :smalleek:
The ugly side of medieval stasis I guess.

RdMarquis
2010-10-27, 03:46 AM
I really shouldn't go so long without checking back on this thread. I almost missed the update. Anyways, nicely done. This was a cool way to bring Lloyd's secrets to the surface, and giving him an assumed name was a good touch.

Zefir
2010-10-27, 03:56 AM
This Comic is really good. You have good chars and a good story.
It only makes me sad to say that I can hardly follow the comments here whith also include story relevant informations. For me I allways see 2 new pages every time I take a look^^.

That lead me to the question do you sum all the information you give out here in the first post?

Allan Surgite
2010-10-27, 04:56 AM
^ What he said. It might be worth compiling little trivia, either by mentioning it in-comic (e.g. "Oh, have you heard? The death rate in Tobeem's gone up to 28% in the winter just gone..." said by some background characters eating dinner or something.) or putting it in the first post. I'm deliberately trying not to read your posts, simply so I can try and understand the comic without needing to be clarified on minor issues.

Asta Kask
2010-10-27, 06:47 AM
I'm sorry, what was your theory again?

And yeah, Matt was trying to calm her down. He's getting better. :smallsmile:

I thought he was copping a feel. :smallwink:

blackjack217
2010-10-27, 07:07 AM

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Marnath
2010-10-27, 01:30 PM

Well then he's doing it wrong, as those are her shoulders. :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-27, 03:04 PM
^ What he said. It might be worth compiling little trivia, either by mentioning it in-comic (e.g. "Oh, have you heard? The death rate in Tobeem's gone up to 28% in the winter just gone..." said by some background characters eating dinner or something.) or putting it in the first post. I'm deliberately trying not to read your posts, simply so I can try and understand the comic without needing to be clarified on minor issues.

Actually, by putting it down here and thinking about it I figured out how to put it in. :smallbiggrin:

I really need to make a notebook of all this stuff.

No, he wasn't.

Symmys
2010-10-27, 03:18 PM
Attack of the fanart!
Yeah, I got bored in math class, so I drew Serrin.

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b444/PaxGemini/Serrin002.png
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b444/PaxGemini/Serrin001.png
I think I like the first one better.

Silverraptor
2010-10-27, 03:41 PM
Attack of the fanart!

http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b444/PaxGemini/Serrin002.png
http://i1044.photobucket.com/albums/b444/PaxGemini/Serrin001.png

*Happy School Girl Scream*

...What? I helped make Serrin and thought I'd do the scream for Coffee.:smalltongue:

Marnath
2010-10-27, 03:44 PM
Fir is adorable, it looks like she's nomming on Serrin's hair.:smallsmile:

CWater
2010-10-27, 03:46 PM
Attack of the fanart!

*snip*

Aww, that is so cute!:smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-27, 03:49 PM
Eee! Yeah, the first one's better (It's the smile...), but that's pretty much how I see her, with a big grin on her face! (Except Serrin wears sandals, but whatever. :smalltongue:)

mucat
2010-10-27, 03:58 PM
Eee! Yeah, the first one's better (It's the smile...), but that's pretty much how I see her, with a big grin on her face! (Except Serrin wears sandals, but whatever. :smalltongue:)

The pointy shoes are part of her Halloween costume. (Fir is going as a Hello Kitty.)

But yes. Both pictures are great, but the one with Fir in it is especially adorable. :smallsmile:

Marnath
2010-10-27, 05:18 PM
I'd do fanart myself if I had 1) any sort of artistic talent and 2) a scanner. I have to settle for talking about it. :smallsmile:

RdMarquis
2010-10-27, 10:29 PM
That fanart is just adorable. :smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2010-10-28, 03:29 AM
Well then he's doing it wrong, as those are her shoulders. :smalltongue:

He's reaching for the ears.

Symmys
2010-10-28, 10:10 AM
:smallredface: I'm flattered that you guys like my drawings...

Except Serrin wears sandals

And now I know!
I was just guessing, since her footwear is rather ambiguous (stick-figure and all) and pointy shoes are easy to draw. Maybe it's cold outside.

mastermind
2010-10-28, 10:44 AM
I <3 the new comic.

Marnath
2010-10-28, 01:14 PM
He's reaching for the ears.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm not really seeing it though. Just looks like he's comforting her. :smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2010-10-28, 01:15 PM
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm not really seeing it though. Just looks like he's comforting her. :smallsmile:

Well, that's always a convenient excuse...

"I swear! I was just comforting you!"

blackjack217
2010-10-28, 02:21 PM
Well, that's always a convenient excuse...

"I swear! I was just comforting you!"

yeeeeaaaaah, that will never work

Asta Kask
2010-10-28, 02:31 PM
Wisdom is Matt's dump stat... :smalltongue:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 02:16 PM
Ugh, I'm coming down with a cold. But I'm working on the comic right now!

*Sigh* I guess I should make notebooks and notes for my stories.

Everything that happened the past couple of days in the Playground got me thinking: What if I got hit by a car or something tomorrow? (You know how they say that most teenagers think they're invincible? I was never one of those.)

If I were to die, well, I'm going to tell my parents to alert you guys, and try to post scans of my notes (Once I make them). Or Silverraptor and Water-Smurf can elaborate. I told them both quite a bit (Bouncing ideas around and the like.)

Marnath
2010-10-29, 02:39 PM

Everything that happened the past couple of days in the Playground got me thinking: What if I got hit by a car or something tomorrow? (You know how they say that most teenagers think they're invincible? I was never one of those.)

If I were to die, well, I'm going to tell my parents to alert you guys, and try to post scans of my notes (Once I make them). Or Silverraptor and Water-Smurf can elaborate. I told them both quite a bit (Bouncing ideas around and the like.)

Get well soon. :smallsmile:
We sure hope you don't die.:smalleek:
That would be really sad.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-29, 02:43 PM
Get well soon. :smallsmile:
We sure hope you don't die.:smalleek:
That would be really sad.

Seconded.

All I can do to get thoughts f the possibilities is, well: Life is not to be spend worrying, take care and it might just end up good :smallsmile:

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-29, 02:59 PM

:eek:

You're not gonna die anytime soon!

I'm not sure if it's ok to ask, but what is "everything that happened the past couple of days in the Playground"?

EDIT: And get better! *hugs*

mucat
2010-10-29, 03:13 PM
I'm not sure if it's ok to ask, but what is "everything that happened the past couple of days in the Playground"?
A forum member took his own life, after losing two loved ones to a car accident.

ZenAnarchist: In Memorium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173733)

John Cribati
2010-10-29, 03:15 PM
Instead of a Notebook, just make a password-protected Folder and keep it all in a Notepad file, then put the password in your will or something.

It would make things a lot easier on your parents.

Not that I think you're just going to keel over and die or something.

Not that I'm undermining your feelings of non-invincibility.

I'm going to stop typing now.

Themrys
2010-10-29, 03:18 PM

That's very nice of you, but I'd prefer that you stay alive!

Get well soon!

blackjack217
2010-10-29, 03:23 PM
That's very nice of you, but I'd prefer that you stay alive!

Get well soon!

Seconded, All in favor of this resolution say aye. :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 03:34 PM
Aye!
(hugs)
Coffee, you're a ray of sunlight in a dark world.

John Cribati
2010-10-29, 03:36 PM
Aye-Aye-Aye-Aye-Aye

mucat
2010-10-29, 03:41 PM
Aye!

We've all said we can't wait to hear Lloyd's story...but if you need to take a few days off and fight off that cold, then do that! We can be patient...

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 03:45 PM
Thanks everyone. :smallsmile: Don't worry too much though. At my age the two most likely causes of my death would be some sort of accident (Read: car crash) or murder. And I'm a pretty cautious person. :smalltongue:

Aye!

We've all said we can't wait to hear Lloyd's story...but if you need to take a few days off and fight off that cold, then do that! We can be patient...

Nope, I've started the comic and I promised I'd update on Fridays, so I'm updating on Friday! (I should be done in about an hour and a half, two hours tops.)

Marnath
2010-10-29, 03:46 PM
Aye!

Yeah, we can be patient! Anyone who isn't gets a warforged smack-down! Rarr! *waves sword wildly*

Silverraptor
2010-10-29, 03:57 PM
Coffee, cheer up. Don't let a little cold make you sad and depressed.

RdMarquis
2010-10-29, 04:16 PM
Nope, I've started the comic and I promised I'd update on Fridays, so I'm updating on Friday! (I should be done in about an hour and a half, two hours tops.)

I look forward to reading it, but try to take it easy and get better soon. If you aren't feeling well, you should rest.

Mina Kobold
2010-10-29, 04:26 PM
A forum member took his own life, after losing two loved ones to a car accident.

ZenAnarchist: In Memorium (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173733)

:smallfrown: Death is depressing, I just hope there's something for us afterward.

Also, Aye.

Nageto004
2010-10-29, 04:54 PM

You should just rest, do this when you feel better.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-29, 04:58 PM
First, Hope you get well soon coffee and see the positive side, a cold is not that bad (actually I would like to get a cold right now, that would give me the excuse to take a few days off school >.> <.< don't tell my parents I said that :smalltongue:)

Second, I think I don't have that "teenage invulnerability syndrome" and yet I have done my fair share of stupid things, yet I am still kicking and alive (or am I? :shifty eyes:)... my point is, that while is great to worry and be cauttious, don't overdo it and become a safety-freak.

And finally, if you aren't feeling well, and need to take a break rest asured that we won't become angy or mad at you. We (and I am sure I speak for all the followers of Murphy's law, posters and lurkers alike) can wait.

Silverraptor
2010-10-29, 05:04 PM
First, Hope you get well soon coffee and see the positive side, a cold is not that bad (actually I would like to get a cold right now, that would give me the excuse to take a few days off school >.> <.< don't tell my parents I said that :smalltongue:)

Second, I think I don't have that "teenage invulnerability syndrome" and yet I have done my fair share of stupid things, yet I am still kicking and alive (or am I? :shifty eyes:)... my point is, that while is great to worry and be cauttious, don't overdo it and become a safety-freak.

And finally, if you aren't feeling well, and need to take a break rest asured that we won't become angy or mad at you. We (and I am sure I speak for all the followers of Murphy's law, posters and lurkers alike) can wait.

*Picks up phone*

"Ahem! Hello, is this Dusk's parents?"

:smalltongue::smalltongue::smalltongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-29, 05:06 PM
*Picks up phone*

"Ahem! Hello, is this Dusk's parents?"

:smalltongue::smalltongue::smalltongue:

:answers the phone:

"No, it's iDusk speaking, I am tracing this call SilverRaptor, I will know here you live"

Marnath
2010-10-29, 05:28 PM
Guys, please. On topic discussion?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 06:12 PM
Thank you Marnath. And don't you know by now that I keep my promises?

#92: The Abridged Edition
http://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/caffeineincluded/TheAbridgedEdition.png

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-29, 06:16 PM
The plot thickes....even more.

Red Fever??(definetly not a black death expy... can diseases even get expys? XP)

And the icing on the lie cake, the red fever also affected Mathew... hmm interesting.

Great comic as always Coffee, just one minor detail, it seems that the paladin who enlist, gather, whatever loyd and his friend is female, and according to young loyd, women couldn't enlist on the military until two years later.

Edit: Just noticed (and remembered something), is the paladin in Loyd imagination himself? also I just remembered that Loyd do have a special mount... sandstorm right?

Zexion
2010-10-29, 06:16 PM
Nice comic! I think this background really fits Lloyd's personality!

Marnath
2010-10-29, 06:19 PM
I like it! You're a good story teller. :smallsmile:
"I didn't know what to think, so after I while I didn't." Man, that is so true for some people out there.:smallannoyed:

*edit^^: That means two years older, not two years chronologically after when he joined.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 06:23 PM
I didn't know what to think, so after I while I didn't.
That... is one of the best lines ever.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 06:27 PM
The plot thickes....even more.

Red Fever??(definetly not a black death expy... can diseases even get expys? XP)

And the icing on the lie cake, the red fever also affected Mathew... hmm interesting.

Great comic as always Coffee, just one minor detail, it seems that the paladin who enlist, gather, whatever loyd and his friend is female, and according to young loyd, women couldn't enlist on the military until two years later.

Red Fever is a deadly fictional disease I made up that is similar and quite probably related to Typhoid Fever.. It's called Red Fever because in the final stages you end up with an out-of-control fever; so high that almost all of the body is flushed red. That out-of-control fever is what makes Red Fever deadly. And if someone manages to recover from the end stages of the disease, they may have life-long complications; most commonly brain damage and immunodeficiency. Red Fever flares up occasionally, but this one 20 years ago was really bad.

Also, that woman was a lot older than Lloyd and Geoffrey, don't you think? :smalltongue:

EDIT: Yeah, Lloyd's imagining himself older.

Nice comic! I think this background really fits Lloyd's personality!

Thanks. I spent a lot of time planning this story arc.

That... is one of the best lines ever.

Thanks. :smallredface: I love that line too.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-10-29, 06:29 PM
Red Fever is a deadly fictional disease I made up that is similar and quite probably related to Typhoid Fever.. It's called Red Fever because in the final stages you end up with an out-of-control fever; so high that almost all of the body is flushed red. That out-of-control fever is what makes Red Fever deadly. And if someone manages to recover from the end stages of the disease, they may have life-long complications; most commonly brain damage and immunodeficiency. Red Fever flares up occasionally, but this one 20 years ago was really bad.

Also, that woman was a lot older than Lloyd and Geoffrey, don't you think? :smalltongue:

Ah you meant that girls enrolled at age 12! I understood they were not able to enroll till two years later.:smallredface:

Marnath
2010-10-29, 06:30 PM
Brain damage, you say? I wonder if that's part of the reason Matt is like he is.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 06:38 PM
Ah you meant that girls enrolled at age 12! I understood they were not able to enroll till two years later.:smallredface:

Ah, okay. Glad we cleared that up.

Brain damage, you say? I wonder if that's part of the reason Matt is like he is.

Matt caught Red Fever, but he recovered. No, he does not have any brain damage or other permanent complications.

Marnath
2010-10-29, 06:40 PM
Matt caught Red Fever, but he recovered. No, he does not have any brain damage or other permanent complications.

Awesome.:smallsmile:

Geno9999
2010-10-29, 06:46 PM
Interesting that Lloyd imagined himself with a ponytail:smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 06:47 PM
Interesting that Lloyd imagined himself with a ponytail:smallbiggrin:

Part of the uniform of the Kagoan infantry.

blackjack217
2010-10-29, 06:48 PM
great job as usual.

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 06:49 PM
Ponytails are uniform? Seriously?
...Lol.

Marnath
2010-10-29, 06:56 PM
Ponytails are uniform? Seriously?
...Lol.

Don't want your soldiers to look like wild-men, after all. A soldier has to be groomed and presentable. :smallsmile:
The real question is, is that only for men with long hair, or are all men encouraged to grow their hair out for a ponytail?

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 07:07 PM
Don't want your soldiers to look like wild-men, after all. A soldier has to be groomed and presentable. :smallsmile:
The real question is, is that only for men with long hair, or are all men encouraged to grow their hair out for a ponytail?

All men are encouraged, but the length varies.

Marnath
2010-10-29, 07:11 PM
I just noticed that his ideal future self is using a spear, not a halberd. Nice attention to detail, since it looks like he's very familiar with it's use even as a child. I look forward to finding out what caused the switch. Also the rest of the story of course. :smallsmile:

CWater
2010-10-29, 07:12 PM
Have I ever mentioned that I just love backstories:smallbiggrin:

Hmm, interesting... Good job with the comic!:smallsmile:
Why do girls enroll two years later?
And wait, do all kids get army training in Kago?:smalleek:

Marnath
2010-10-29, 07:13 PM

Maybe they want them to have more time to mature physically? On average girls have lower muscle mass, so it's probably easier to be a soldier once they're a bit older.

Lycan 01
2010-10-29, 07:16 PM
Wow! Very impressive, Coffee. That's a deep and interesting background you've thought up. Can't wait to hear the rest! :smallbiggrin:

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 07:18 PM
I just noticed that his ideal future self is using a spear, not a halberd. Nice attention to detail, since it looks like he's very familiar with it's use even as a child. I look forward to finding out what caused the switch. Also the rest of the story of course. :smallsmile:

Lloyd has a spear and a halberd. He's a nightmare with a polearm.

Thanks!

Girls enroll 2 years later because they need to physically mature a bit.

Most do. The head of Kago is the Lord, and his three subordinates are the High Priest of Astrid, and the Mage General and Paladin General of the Kagoan military.

And thank you, Lycan!

Marnath
2010-10-29, 07:20 PM

O.o
He's got a spear too? I don't remember ever seeing it.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 07:21 PM
O.o
He's got a spear too? I don't remember ever seeing it.

He has a spear in the imagination bubble.

CWater
2010-10-29, 07:25 PM
Nightmare in which sense?

Girls enroll 2 years later because they need to physically mature a bit.
...Okay. Though I used to wrestle a lot with my cousin when we were kids and I don't think that he got particularly stronger than me before we were ~12-13.

...And I still won the last fight.:smallamused:

But, it is your world, so do as you like:smallsmile:

mucat
2010-10-29, 07:26 PM

Just being Matt is complication enough:

Matt's Dad: Doctor! Is our son going to be all right?

Doctor: Well, the fever has broken, and I am almost certain he'll live, but...you may want to sit down for this news.

Matt's Mom: What? What's wrong with him?

Doctor: Your son...he...he is Matt Silver.

Matt's Mom: (sobbing) No! Noooooooooooo...

Confused bystander: But he was already Matt Silver, before the fever.

Matt's Dad: Doesn't make it any easier to accept.

Marnath
2010-10-29, 07:29 PM

Doctor: Well, the fever has broken, and I am almost certain he'll live, but...you may want to sit down for this news.

..Bwhahahahahaha...ha.:smallbiggrin:

CWater
2010-10-29, 07:29 PM
Just being Matt is complication enough.

Matt's Dad: Doctor! Is our son going to be all right.

Matt's Dad: Doesn't make it any easier to take.

:smallbiggrin: Hilarious! Reminds me of a joke I know... Too bad it's the kind that only those that live around Helsinki can understand...though perhaps it could be altered to make it more universal...

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 07:30 PM

[booming voice]ONCE, IN EVERY GENERATION, IS BORN A HERO. A HERO WITH THE STRENGTH OF TEN, THE SPEED OF A CHEETAH, THE GUILE OF A VERY SNEAKY THING, AND MORE CUNNING-NESS THAN A FOX MADE PROFESSOR OF CUNNING AT CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY.

THERE'S ALSO MATT SILVER, WHO IS BORN INTO EACH GENERATION JUST SO THE GODS CAN SCREW HIM OVER AGAIN. YOU'D THINK THE PARENTS WOULD STOP NAMING THEIR KIDS MATT.[/booming voice]

Marnath
2010-10-29, 07:31 PM
He has a spear in the imagination bubble.

Ah, i thought you meant for real, not in the imagination here. I mistook the halberd for two javelins.

Allan Surgite
2010-10-29, 08:36 PM
Interesting.

A note on Red Fever - you don't need to explain it, even out of comic. It's fairly obvious that it's a) a deadly disease, b) is fairly wide-spread and c) a bad thing. That's all you really need. No need for needless exposition. Then again, it isn't in-comic, so this isn't a valid criticism.

A note that Lloyd's always had a polearm - from the harpoon as a child (although one wonders why they'd use harpoons and nets... wait, monsters.), to the envisioning of the javelins as a Kagonian soldier (a minor note: javelins would rarely be a soldier's primary weapon - although I know most about Romans, the idea of a javelin was that it would be thrown, not used in close-combat. Indeed, Romans designed their javelins to break purposefully so that when thrown, their enemies could not throw them back... but Lloyd is envisioning this as a kid, so he gets a by), to his current halberd. Lloyd clearly has a ingrained fascination for long sticks with bits of metal on the end.

Art critique - something seems off with Kago-Lloyd. I think it's the line between his head and the hair... seems a bit too light. Might just be me, however.

Also: who's betting that Geoffrey becomes an important character? [wmg]He's actually the grand villain of the story who ends up killing Lloyd.[wmg]

Marnath
2010-10-29, 08:43 PM
to the envisioning of the javelins as a Kagonian soldier *snip* but Lloyd is envisioning this as a kid, so he gets a by*snip*

No he isn't, that's a halberd. I'm the one who suggested they were javelins, but I was mistaken.

Art critique - something seems off with Kago-Lloyd. I think it's the line between his head and the hair... seems a bit too light. Might just be me, however.

I'm not seeing it. Do you mean the hair-tie keeping his ponytail back? Because that's probably leather.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 09:00 PM
[booming voice]ONCE, IN EVERY GENERATION, IS BORN A HERO. A HERO WITH THE STRENGTH OF TEN, THE SPEED OF A CHEETAH, THE GUILE OF A VERY SNEAKY THING, AND MORE CUNNING-NESS THAN A FOX MADE PROFESSOR OF CUNNING AT CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY.

THERE'S ALSO MATT SILVER, WHO IS BORN INTO EACH GENERATION JUST SO THE GODS CAN SCREW HIM OVER AGAIN. YOU'D THINK THE PARENTS WOULD STOP NAMING THEIR KIDS MATT.[/booming voice]

:smallbiggrin: That's great.

Interesting.

A note on Red Fever - you don't need to explain it, even out of comic. It's fairly obvious that it's a) a deadly disease, b) is fairly wide-spread and c) a bad thing. That's all you really need. No need for needless exposition. Then again, it isn't in-comic, so this isn't a valid criticism.

A note that Lloyd's always had a polearm - from the harpoon as a child (although one wonders why they'd use harpoons and nets... wait, monsters.), to the envisioning of the javelins as a Kagonian soldier (a minor note: javelins would rarely be a soldier's primary weapon - although I know most about Romans, the idea of a javelin was that it would be thrown, not used in close-combat. Indeed, Romans designed their javelins to break purposefully so that when thrown, their enemies could not throw them back... but Lloyd is envisioning this as a kid, so he gets a by), to his current halberd. Lloyd clearly has a ingrained fascination for long sticks with bits of metal on the end.

Also: who's betting that Geoffrey becomes an important character? [wmg]He's actually the grand villain of the story who ends up killing Lloyd.[wmg]

Aww, but I like explaining things. :smalltongue:

Lloyd's envisioning himself with a lance and a halberd.

No, Kago-Lloyd has a buzzcut.

No, the reason that I explicitly named him is that he looks a bit like an unrelated minor character and I wanted to avoid confusion.

Draconi Redfir
2010-10-29, 09:02 PM
Ah, i thought you meant for real, not in the imagination here. I mistook the halberd for two javelins.

ditto. and i wonder, long sticks with something on the end of them. you think Lloid is hideing something?:smallamused:

Marnath
2010-10-29, 09:09 PM
You mean compensating for something, and no, I don't think that's the reason. :smallwink:

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 09:14 PM
ditto. and i wonder, long sticks with something on the end of them. you think Lloid is compensating for something?:smallamused:
FTFY? XD

Also, :smallredface: @Coffee complimenting my jokey thing.

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 09:25 PM
You mean compensating for something, and no, I don't think that's the reason. :smallwink:

No, it's not. Lloyd's not the type to be...Insecure about those sorts of things. Besides, he's got ~16 Charisma

You know, I think the TvTropes page needs updating. :smalltongue:

HalfTangible
2010-10-29, 09:39 PM
No, it's not. Lloyd's not the type to be...Insecure about those sorts of things. Besides, he's got ~16 Charisma

Just because a car has a good paintjob doesn't mean it's got a V8 engine under the hood.
Maybe he's compensating for a low Strength score? =P

CoffeeIncluded
2010-10-29, 09:44 PM
Just because a car has a good paintjob doesn't mean it's got a V8 engine under the hood.
Maybe he's compensating for a low Strength score? =P

Not even close. He's a Fighter/Paladin; he's got a natural 18 in Strength.

Actually, Lloyd has a natural 12 or more in every stat except Dexterity. From highest to lowest his stats are:

Str=Con>Int=Cha>Wis>Dex

Marnath
2010-10-29, 09:48 PM

You know, I think the TvTropes page needs updating. :smalltongue:

I'm on a roll today! :smallsmile:

HalfTangible
2010-10-29, 09:50 PM

Actually, Lloyd has a natural 12 or more in every stat except Dexterity. From highest to lowest his stats are:

Str=Con>Int=Cha>Wis>Dex

Then he's compensating for DEXTERITY! =D

Yeah, yeah, i know :smallannoyed: shutting up now.

Illven
2010-10-29, 10:01 PM

Str=Con>Int=Cha>Wis>Dex

What stats do the rest of them have?

Lix Lorn
2010-10-29, 10:03 PM
Then he's compensating for DEXTERITY! =D

Yeah, yeah, i know :smallannoyed: shutting up now.
Lol. XD Amusing.

Tulio d Bard
2010-10-29, 10:09 PM
Great piece of back story!
And I also thought that other boy would be important...
Don't you see, people? Lloyd has another natural 18 stat...
OHGOD, am I going too far? xD

Marnath
2010-10-29, 10:09 PM
Lol. XD Amusing.

I thought about saying "Matt is the one with DEX envy, not Lloyd.:smallwink:" But I thought it would be too off topic. :smalltongue:

The_Admiral
2010-10-29, 10:35 PM
I did not know my name was that rare

Marnath
2010-10-29, 10:38 PM
I did not know my name was that rare

..what? :smallconfused:

The_Admiral
2010-10-29, 10:40 PM
My name normally writers use unknown or rarely heard names for their characters my name is Geoffrey BTW

Marnath
2010-10-29, 10:42 PM
I still don't know what you're getting at.:smallconfused:

HalfTangible
2010-10-29, 10:43 PM
I still don't know what you're getting at.:smallconfused:

'Geoferry' is an uncommon name. It's also his name IRL