PDA

View Full Version : What would you wish for?

No Idea
2010-08-23, 04:27 PM
So I have recently come into the possession of a Ring of Wishes in our Pathfinder game. Any thoughts?

holywhippet
2010-08-23, 04:33 PM
Depends on what your character is like and what kind of DM you have. Some DMs might be keen on twisting a wish so no matter what your ask for it will work against you.

Otherwise you might want to wish for something your character would find useful like weapons, armour, spells etc. You could also try getting a stat boost.

Failing that, keep it as an emergency reserve in case something really bad happens.

Harris the Ford
2010-08-23, 04:35 PM
a practical wish would be to never have to sleep again (not a good idea for wizards and other spell-preparers) and never get exhausted. that would make you a nice watchman.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-23, 04:40 PM
I'd wish for 27th level spellthief powers. Then I'd wish for a scroll of gate. Then I'd gate in a noble efreet, stab him, steal his wish SLA, and wish for permanent, incurable paralysis on the noble efreet.

Then I'd steal it again.

And again.

And again.

Morithias
2010-08-23, 04:42 PM
I'd wish for 27th level spellthief powers. Then I'd wish for a scroll of gate. Then I'd gate in a noble efreet, stab him, steal his wish SLA, and wish for permanent, incurable paralysis on the noble efreet.

Then I'd steal it again.

And again.

And again.

The scroll of gate you might get. But no dm in their right mind isn't going to either literal or jackass genie you on the first wish.

Asheram
2010-08-23, 05:25 PM
In my current campaign?

1. That my uncle (a high-ranking noble in Dis) would be permanently happy with me (and won't attempt to kill me).
2. That my cousin (said uncles' daughter and also a PC) would be permanently happy with me (and won't attempt to kill me).
3. Very, Very good fortune.

Naw. But I'd wish for something fun, like.. said "Good fortune" It lets the DM mess with you slightly while you still go out on top.

The-Mage-King
2010-08-23, 05:34 PM
Wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, repeat.

Boci
2010-08-23, 05:38 PM
Wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, wish for a Candle of Invocation (CG), gate in a Noble Djinn, make two wishes, repeat.

I recomend your second wish to be permenant "Deflect DMG", assuming its not too late by then.

aeauseth
2010-08-23, 06:20 PM
First off review WISH (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/Wish.htm) in the SRD.

There are several "oh crap, I WISH I could save the party" abilities listed there. You may not want to use up all your wishes trying to get magic items.

As for magic items you are likely going to be limited to things with an equivalent worth of 25,000 gp. Anything more might bring the wrath of the DM (either a no, or a screw you).

I'd recommend somthing that is difficult for you to normally aquire. If you don't have any craft item feats then consider adding an ability to an existing item. Custom build/wish an item using the DMG craft wondrous item guide. A continuous amulet of pro evil is very nice. So are bracers of continuous shield. A feat is typically worth 5 to 10k (Arms & Armor) so maybe wish for a Feat? Go big and wish for a class ability like Divine Grace or Turn Undead. Bigger? How about Spell Resistance (10+HD) or A +1 LA Template?

You need to evaluate your DM to determine what you can get away with. Sticking with 25,000gp is safe, everything else gets a bit risky (depending on your DM).

pflare
2010-08-23, 07:25 PM
I like to save wishes. Then sort of bust them out at the perfect/most dramatic moment. I find it makes for better role playing but that's just me :smallbiggrin:

Riffington
2010-08-23, 07:33 PM
A loyal but mischievous monkey with lightning reflexes, a mastery of showmanship, and a penchant for romance.

Fax Celestis
2010-08-23, 07:38 PM
A loyal but mischievous monkey with lightning reflexes, a mastery of showmanship, and a penchant for romance.

You, sir, have just been awarded one internet.

Abd al-Azrad
2010-08-23, 10:28 PM
A self-replicating nanobot held suspended in a magnetic field that is keyed to a dead-man's switch on my person. I'd call it pretty much the ultimate tool to back up a threat.

"Go ahead. Kill me. End the world."

...I do suppose it's a little problematic if I ever end up meeting someone whose ultimate objective is to end said world. Or, y'know, I die of old age or something. Meh. S.E.P.

0Megabyte
2010-08-23, 10:39 PM
I would wish for a stat increase, or perhaps an 8th-level spell, possibly one that has a long casting time (IIRC, isn't Wish a standard action? Doing something that takes longer in a shorter time like that could be useful.)

El Dorado
2010-08-23, 10:54 PM
A buddy was running a PC in a campaign years ago. He came into possession of a magic sword. He didn't have any way to identify it but suspected it might be a luck sword. He looks around, sees an NPC walking by, and says "I wish that guy would stumble." The NPC stumbles. The PC says "huh", shrugs his shoulders, and moves on to the next magic item.

It was a very silly campaign. :smallwink:

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-23, 11:38 PM
"Pierce the Chaos"

examine one sheaf of paper of the DM's

Or an Apple of Discord that casts one random spell

klemdakherzbag
2010-08-24, 02:11 PM
In a heavily homebrewed 1e/3.5 mix I found a 6th level wish (out of 10 levels). During combat and after tossing a couple spells around, decided to wish to be able to shapechage at will into a very old brass dragon. Needless to say the DM ended the session before my next turn came around....