PDA

View Full Version : OotS video game II

Cybertoy00
2010-08-23, 04:55 PM
If someone were to make an Order of the Stick video game, what would it be like? I suppose it would be like an RPG, but I hope it's sorta like a Mario RPG, partially platformer, partially role-player. It could start right around On the Origin of PCs, and ending at the end of Dungeon Crawlin' Fools, since the overall story hasn't been completed.

Maxios
2010-08-23, 05:07 PM
ARCHIVE
Link to OOTs video game thread 1 here. OOTS video game I (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152324)

Cybertoy00
2010-08-23, 05:09 PM
Sorry, I didn't know.:mitd:

Maxios
2010-08-23, 05:12 PM
It's okay. It's always good to have an video game thread on this fourm. I would hope it would be similar to the Elder Scrolls, Oblivion. I think your idea would be pretty awesome too, though!

Maxios
2010-08-23, 05:20 PM
Seriously though, awesome idea. They could have a demo of it on this website! Perhaps someone could see if Rich Burlew would let them create it!

EDIT: Before I just meant I too had a video game thread. I love threads like this, so full of ideas!

Cybertoy00
2010-08-23, 05:26 PM
You probably shouldn't double post.
Anyway, an idea for a bonus boss would be the Monster In the Dark. He would have a limited attack list (Mainly Hit The Lightest (Major damage on single character) Shout (Major damage and status effect) and Stomp (Major damage on whole party)

But, seriously, I hope no one actually makes an Order of the Stick game. It would suck because there would something the game makers leave out as there would only be so much memory on the disc.

Acero
2010-08-23, 05:27 PM
Personnaly, There isn't enough content to make a full-fledged Oblivion type game. I would rather see it as an Xbox arcade beat-em-up game like Castle Crashers

Maxios
2010-08-23, 05:28 PM
Yeah. But maybe when the Xbox 720 comes out, or the PS4, or a nex-gen of video game systems.

PallElendro
2010-08-23, 05:36 PM
Personally, this game should be a more Dragon Age game.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-23, 05:47 PM
Not to disrupt the massive support of the Adventure/RPG game OotS could be, but what about some sort of fighting game? The story isn't complete so it's hard to say how OotS will end and best create a game from that. A fighting game could incorporate all characters, even the very minor ones. Granted, you'd have to tweak it so that minor weak, characters could take on Xykon, but look at such games like Smash Bros and I think it could be interesting. Just a thought, though I just watched all of There Will Be Brawl the other day.

Goosefarble
2010-08-23, 06:31 PM
You could have a different genre for each OOTS book. On the Origins of PCs could be a point-and-click adventure game, Dungeon Crawlin' Fools as a sort of Mageslayer hack-and-slasher, No Cure for the Paladin Blues as a puzzle game, War and XPs as a real-time strategy and Don't Split the Party as a stealth/survival game.

It holds water.

Darth Hunterix
2010-08-23, 06:47 PM
I imagine OotS The Game as something similar to old RPGs which were running on Infinity Engine, like Planscape: Torment, Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. To be honest I once created a party similar to OotS in Icewind Dale II :smalltongue:
However it would be hard to create running-away sequences on such engine, and we know that it is Order's most historically-succesful strategem (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0721.html)...

Acero
2010-08-23, 06:48 PM
The problem with Making it in a style similar to Dragon Age/Oblivion is, this is a cartoon comic. The characters are stick figures. It has to be 2d to stay true to the comic. It would need to be a side scroller

Urist McDwarf
2010-08-23, 07:06 PM
The problem with Making it in a style similar to Dragon Age/Oblivion is, this is a cartoon comic. The characters are stick figures. It has to be 2d to stay true to the comic. It would need to be a side scroller

Or 2d figures in a 3d environment.

Elemental_Elf
2010-08-23, 07:41 PM
Honestly, an OOTS game would be best suited if it emulated the style and feel of an old Final Fantasy game (like 6) while using a D&D 3.5-light Combat system complete with 5 foot squares (combat would probably wind up looking like Final Fantasy Tactics).

Cybertoy00
2010-08-23, 08:06 PM
Or it could be like the Mario & Luigi games. Wait, I've already made that suggestion, didn't I?
In leiu(sp?) of that, maybe the game structure could be like a cross between Kingdom Hearts and TMNT4: Turtles In Time.
And then we coudl have an optional tournament mode, featuring all of the chars! Even Right-Eye!
With the Oracle as a tutorial.:roach:

Elemental_Elf
2010-08-23, 08:28 PM
None of those games captures the D&D-ness of OOTS.

Maxios
2010-08-23, 08:29 PM
Alright, my idea. First person action rpg where you switch between members. Real time combat. Uses DnD mechanics for level up and combat and the other stuff. Can utilize a fallout 3 VATs mode when using a ranged attack.
Expansions packs for everything past No cure for the Paladin blues.

Partof1
2010-08-23, 08:33 PM
Perhaps something like paper mario?

If I remember, there was free roaming dungeon crawliness, with a turn based combat system, or something turn-based-ish

Gamerlord
2010-08-23, 08:35 PM
PointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadventurega mePointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadventure gamePointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadventu regamePointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadven turegamePointandclickadventuregame Point and click adventure game.

In other words, OOTS Quest I, complete with insane difficulty :smalltongue: .

Urist McDwarf
2010-08-23, 09:00 PM
PointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadventurega mePointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadventure gamePointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadventu regamePointandclickadventuregamePointandclickadven turegamePointandclickadventuregame Point and click adventure game.

In other words, OOTS Quest I, complete with insane difficulty :smalltongue: .

IT NEEDS MOAR COMBAT

Gamerlord
2010-08-23, 09:10 PM
IT NEEDS MOAR COMBAT
DON'T SPEAK IN ALL CAPS. :smalltongue:
Besides, combat can fit into a theoretical OOTS quest I.
"Stab goblin"
*Animation of whatever character being controlled stabbing*
*Goblins stabs*
*Character drank only healing potion discovered so far earlier, when they could have just asked durkon to heal them, had they realized they could wake him up with an undead-related pun*
YOU DIE.

dmuzzy
2010-08-23, 09:31 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I imagine it as a Baldurs Gate style of game.

Zevox
2010-08-23, 09:42 PM
Perhaps something like paper mario?
This is what I figure would be perfect for it. Graphically, since the Paper Mario style already fits well with simpler art like the Order of the Stick's stick figures. Gameplay-wise it provides a mix of platforming and turn-based RPG combat, which works well given the comic is already based on a turn-based pen & paper game. Alternatively the combat portion could be altered from Paper Mario's simpler turn-based format to a more tactical form reminiscent of games like Fire Emblem or Disgaea, which fits the D&D model better.

It'll never happen of course, but if it were to happen, I think that would be the best way to go about it.

Zevox

fwiffo
2010-08-23, 09:48 PM
There was an OOTS computer game already made. It's a little dated by now, but it is still fun. Here is the screenshot:

http://www.giantitp.com/Images/GuestWeek2005/oots0303.gif

Darth Hunterix
2010-08-24, 05:12 AM
I found a way to simulate OotS running sequences:
Let's make "Need for Speed: OotS Edition"!

Urist McDwarf
2010-08-24, 06:33 PM
Call me old-fashioned, but I imagine it as a Baldurs Gate style of game.

Completely agree. I love baulder's gate and it would go perfectly with OOTS.

Gamerlord
2010-08-24, 06:40 PM
Completely agree. I love baulder's gate and it would go perfectly with OOTS.

Meh,fine. Never really enjoyed BG as much as others.

Maxios
2010-08-24, 11:50 PM
Go baldur's gate! :smallbiggrin:

Balain
2010-08-25, 12:06 AM
There was an OOTS computer game already made. It's a little dated by now, but it is still fun. Here is the screenshot:

Oh Larn, how I loved that game...okay maybe it wasn't larn but it sure as heck looked like it.

Cybertoy00
2010-08-25, 08:04 AM

THAT was a game?! I thought that was some kind of parody comic!
Anyway, getting back on topic, what about levels? Could it be done like Kirby Superstar and use each story arc as a sub-game?

fwiffo
2010-08-25, 10:33 AM
THAT was a game?! I thought that was some kind of parody comic!

Oh, absolutely. It was not the first one, though. The first one was... Let me see if I can remember. I think it was called "Great Underground Dungeon of Dorukan". Does this ring any bells?

West of dungeon entrance

Roy is standing in an open field west of a white dungeon entrance, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here. Mailbox is closed.

:smalltongue:

Mystic Muse
2010-08-25, 12:06 PM
If this game does come out in paper mario style (This is of course assuming it ever comes out at all) I will gladly spend $60 on it.

Maxios
2010-08-25, 01:48 PM
When I had my thread like this, I thought the game should have an open world containing areas from the comics, and some new areas like mini-dungeons or small towns.
My next post shall be about the "railroading" strip and how it could be easily adapted.

Stmr5000
2010-08-25, 10:50 PM
If someone were to teach me how to effectively use the Warcraft III map/campaign editor, I believe that it would be fairly straightforward to make a custom map of OotS.

wightpower
2010-08-26, 09:47 AM

it wouldnt have to be a sidescroller game (im envisioning something akin to super mario when i see that) i picture it more like the zelda games for gameboy. with that 45 degree angle look. 4 or maybe even 8 way movement and facing. add some non canon content for length and it would have awesome potential as a browser game, or maybe as an iphone game. it would have to be an action rpg. beat em ups are kinda lame.

Maxios
2010-08-26, 12:35 PM
Alright, so here's how to adapt the railroad comic and joke into the game. When Roy expresses defiance, the party could either surrender, or also express defience (the first more likely then the second). Miko will then attack the party. The hard part, is Miko has among the highest hit point totals in the game, and a horse. When the players get weak, and try to flee, it get's harder because of Miko's horse.
But, should the players get away, or find a good hiding spot, Miko will try to find the players again, and the players get a miko symbol on their map (:miko:) to let them know where she is. When she catches up, she again fights them and retakes them to Azure City.
Should, *gasp* be Miko defeated by the Order, the 12 gods zap the entire party with lightning and true resurrection Miko, or perhaps Rich Burlew could do the same thing saying "stick to the script"

Yana
2010-08-26, 06:23 PM
Alright, so here's how to adapt the railroad comic and joke into the game. When Roy expresses defiance, the party could either surrender, or also express defience (the first more likely then the second). Miko will then attack the party. The hard part, is Miko has among the highest hit point totals in the game, and a horse. When the players get weak, and try to flee, it get's harder because of Miko's horse.
But, should the players get away, or find a good hiding spot, Miko will try to find the players again, and the players get a miko symbol on their map (:miko:) to let them know where she is. When she catches up, she again fights them and retakes them to Azure City.
Should, *gasp* be Miko defeated by the Order, the 12 gods zap the entire party with lightning and true resurrection Miko, or perhaps Rich Burlew could do the same thing saying "stick to the script"

I swear I've seen this statement before in a previous "OotS Video Game" thread. The part where if the Order beats Miko, the 12 Gods or the Giant drop down from the heavens to throw them back on track, that is.

Cybertoy00
2010-08-26, 10:12 PM
Since every good game needs nowadays needs a 'tutorial' maybe this one's could take place when Roy and Durkon go get Xykon's location from the Oracle before forming the party. It could go something like this.
Oracle: Now, let's get the battle tutorial underway.
Roy: Tutorial? what for?
Durkon: Aye, we know how ta fight.
Oracle: the heck you do. We're in a video game based on a webcomic that takes place in a world with running on the rules of a game of Dungeons and Dragons. You need all the help you can get. And since I don't appear in the arc this game takes place in, I might as well be the one to do it.

Maxios
2010-08-27, 01:08 PM
I swear I've seen this statement before in a previous "OotS Video Game" thread. The part where if the Order beats Miko, the 12 Gods or the Giant drop down from the heavens to throw them back on track, that is.

That's because that was my thread, and I was the one who posted it.

Good idea CT. Maybe though there should be one for every playable character, so there's an Elan tutorial, a Haley tutorial, etc. So that way the player's know how to control every member effectively.

Urist McDwarf
2010-08-28, 09:17 AM
That's because that was my thread, and I was the one who posted it.

Good idea CT. Maybe though there should be one for every playable character, so there's an Elan tutorial, a Haley tutorial, etc. So that way the player's know how to control every member effectively.

And it could take place in the infinity engine. Very flexible, though you would need to create the 3d environments and then convert them, which could be very tedious work.

Ricky S
2010-08-31, 08:39 AM

I completely agree with this statement. There is no point in making it a 3D game as that will detract from the essence of what oots is. Not only would playing a 2d side scroller be more like oots but it would also allow for far more of the story to be put in place. It should also not have voices but simply have music and text bubbles appear when the characters talk as getting voice actors would ruin people's perception of what the characters sound like.

Personally I think it should be somewhat like a single player version of maplestory. You should be able to play as a single character from the party at certain points in the story arc. For example you might have to take control of Belkar and stop the assassin from killing Hinjo. Or take control of Elan and rescue Haley from Nale (along with Thogs help). Or take control of V and defeat the giant demon summoned by Qarr.

Each level you would take control of a different character and do the mission and continue the storyline and then at the end you have to face a boss. I dont think that it should have any sort of items nor experience. You should just get better as you complete the levels but the enemy's should also get stronger so no matter where you are in the game it should provide a challenge.

This is all moot though because I doubt that Rich would ever let oots be made into a game and I doubt anyone would make it anyway. It is fun to dream though.

Nimrod's Son
2010-09-01, 12:05 AM
I think it should be just like Pong, only with more humour and roleplaying and stuff.

SlayerScott
2010-09-01, 08:17 AM
I originally suggeested the paper Mario idea, crossed with a JRPG engine. Cel shading is the best way to have the OOTS characters in a video game. In theory you can just play Neverwinter Nights with a set of characters explicitly based on order members, someone posted a really cool screenshot of that last time.

Using the paper mario graphics how about a sidescrolling 2d arcade brawler a la Golden Axe? You could figure some leveling up in there too - maybe something like X-Men Legends/Gauntlet?

Gamerlord
2010-09-01, 07:53 PM
In theory you can just play Neverwinter Nights with a set of characters explicitly based on order members, someone posted a really cool screenshot of that last time.

?

I think that was icewind dale 2 :smallconfused: .

kyoryu
2010-09-02, 02:50 AM
I think it'd work best as an 8-bit JRPG, both in gameplay style as well as art style.

Kobold-Bard
2010-09-02, 03:49 AM
FFTactics style seems like it might work (though with hexes obviously rather than squares).

Laeranu
2010-09-03, 03:47 PM
I once tried to make an OotS 'Dungeon of Dorikan' game on my computer using a program called 'Game Maker 8'. I gave up 1/2 way through though. you had to fight your way through 20 levels of goblins and zombies untill you got to the throne room.

You played as roy and you saw the room from side on like in the comic.

Meg
2010-09-05, 02:54 PM
If the hypothetical video game were to be a proper plot-y one, I think a Paper Mario style would be ridiculously awesome. It would probably end up being halfway between Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age and Paper Mario. 'Twould be awesome.

If it were a fighting game, I would argue for a more Team Fortress 2 type thing. OOTS wouldn't work as a FPS for obvious reasons, but a team-based combat with absolutely no a ridiculous plot would be best suited to the world. The plot could be that the Order is trapped in Girard's dungeon, and they are hallucinating a world where they are forced to fight clones of themselves and each other.

Maxios
2010-09-12, 05:57 PM
I still stand by first or third person action rpg in real time where you can swap between the members.
Perhaps it could have multiplayer, and an arena style-battle like in the gladiator arena from the present comic.

Ricky S
2010-09-12, 08:47 PM
I still stand by first or third person action rpg in real time where you can swap between the members.
Perhaps it could have multiplayer, and an arena style-battle like in the gladiator arena from the present comic.

Yea but then it wont be true to what oots is. A comic! It would have to be something 2D and it wouldn't be a sprawling epic rpg either. There are already plenty of games like that so play them instead. If this was to be made into a game they would have to find a company (or companies) to do it and a 3D game takes a lot of work, the more work the less money they make and the less likely they would make the game anyway. Also there is no guarantee it would be popular to the mainstream audience so most companies would probably not even bother making a 2D version.

Prowl
2010-09-13, 02:42 AM
Going through my old games I stumbled upon the perfect model for this... the Lord of the Rings RTS. It has a single player campaign following the epic story, but since it is an RTS it is endlessly replayable.

Maxios
2010-09-21, 01:44 PM
If they DO make one, it needs Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-22, 10:52 AM
If they DO make one, it needs Evan's Spiked Tentacles of Forced Intrusion.

I disagree. I think visible spiked tentacle rape isn't something an OOTS game should have.

Duke of URL
2010-09-22, 11:00 AM
I disagree. I think visible spiked tentacle rape isn't something an OOTS game should have.

Maybe make it so that ESToFI can only be cast on off-screen opponents.

Mystic Muse
2010-09-22, 11:03 AM

That would be better, although I still wouldn't use it.

Cybertoy00
2010-09-24, 10:02 PM

YAh, it oculd be one of those 'cutscene moves'.

V: Even's Spikey Tentacles of Forced Intrusion!
(Cut to a shot of the gang, whose expressions go from shock to fear and disgust as sounds of cthulu-like noises erupt offscreen, accompanied by ominous shadows)

Fawkes
2010-10-12, 01:06 PM
Someone made a simple flash game based on OotS once. It was just a little side-scrolling beat-em-up, but it was kind of fun.

Cybertoy00
2010-10-12, 09:50 PM
Is there a link? Or is it no longer available for public use?

Maxios
2010-10-13, 01:51 PM
I think the link in the closed OOTS flash game thread, or my previous OOTs video game thread.

binyamin20
2010-10-13, 02:58 PM
If such a thing were made, it would suck. OOTS is a humoristic comic, NOT a hack and slash one. A video game worley based on the rule of funny would be horrible.

Or, they could alter the plot into a hack and slash one, but then it wouldn't be OOTS.