PDA

View Full Version : Singing Blade [3.5 Item]

Lix Lorn
2010-08-23, 05:37 PM
With extensive crafstmanship, a weapon can be created that makes music as it strikes, swings through the air sounding like a flute, mighty strikes like drums. A skilled user can take advantage of this.

A weapon (Regardless of the name, the weapon does not need to be a blade) built this way must be masterwork. Choose a single (Perform) skill that produces noise. A character possessing at least one rank in that skill, and using this item gains a +2 circumstance bonus arising from it's excellent craftsmanship. In addition, if those who would be affected by the check can see the user, they gain a +4 bonus instead, due to the impressive and visual nature of the style.

Cost: +50gp (light weapon), +100gp (one handed weapon), +150gp (two handed weapon), +1gp (Each) for ammunition/shuriken. (Ammunition and shuriken used as part of a perform check in a non-combat situation are not destroyed unless used in a hazardous way)

Of course, some combinations are implausible: A Rapier is highly unlikely to serve as a Drum Kit (Without the Thundering property), and a Flail is rarely an effective violin. Use your judgement-but don't be afraid to be creative! The Screaming property, when combined with a Singing Blade, could turn the least subtle of weapons into a beautiful flute.

Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Singing Blade
Prerequisites: Proficiency with the base weapon, at least one rank in the relevant perform skill, Bardic Music.
Benefit: As long as the user makes at least one attack a turn, they may utilise a Singing Blade as a weapon, albeit with a -2 on all attack rolls, and use Bardic Music as well. If they take this penalty to attack rolls, then they may begin or maintain Bardic Music as a Swift action.

My main issue here is on price. Halp?

Boci
2010-08-23, 05:48 PM
Trading a -2 to hit for a +2 or 4 typed bonus to a skill is a pretty fair by itself, definatly not worth the EWP feat. The ability to mix attacking and bardic music is equal to a +1 bonus from MiC, but yours is more situational. Overal, if its an EWP, I'd make it +50gp for a light weapon, +100gp for a one handed weapon and +150gp for a twp handed weapon. 1gp per ammunition.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-23, 06:15 PM
Do you think? :/

Boci
2010-08-23, 06:39 PM
Do you think? :/

Whats the power level of the game you intend this for?

Lix Lorn
2010-08-23, 07:05 PM
Just making it in general, really.

Boci
2010-08-23, 07:06 PM
Just making it in general, really.

Then assuming mid level optimization, its fine with the lowered price, possible a little underpowered. As I said there is an weapon ability in MiC that is similar, so itsa choice between a feat or gp, which will vary from character to character.

Infact, I'd just make it a feat, allowing you to activate the ability by taking a -2 on attack rolls reguardless of the weapon you were wielding, and requiring say a full round action to switch it off or on.

Cieyrin
2010-08-23, 07:23 PM
Trading a -2 to hit for a +2 or 4 typed bonus to a skill is a pretty fair by itself, definatly not worth the EWP feat. The ability to mix attacking and bardic music is equal to a +1 bonus from MiC, but yours is more situational. Overal, if its an EWP, I'd make it +50gp for a light weapon, +100gp for a one handed weapon and +150gp for a twp handed weapon. 1gp per ammunition.

I agree with this, especially since 1k would put it at costing the same as Mithral and not exactly as useful for the same cost.

Also true on its similarity to Crystal Echoblades from MIC, though that just maintains music you started previously. The bigger deal is when you compare it Song of the White Raven, which lets you start Inspire Courage as a swift while in a White Raven stance. This requires an attack to initiate but isn't stuck to Inspire Courage, though most bards abuse IC through things like Dragonfire Inspiration and don't tend to worry as much about Inspire Greatness and Heroics, if they manage to get to them at all with tasty PRCs out there. Looking at the feat in that light, it seems on a similar level, if perhaps a little weaker.

Blue Ghost
2010-08-23, 08:15 PM
Lix, did you design this with my character in mind? Because I'm totally using this in our campaign. :smallbiggrin:

Roc Ness
2010-08-24, 06:57 AM
The image running through my mind after reading that is a dwarf with a heavy metal thunder waraxe...

Apart from that, this is shaping up to be an asset for melee warrior bards everywhere. :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-08-24, 10:38 AM
Lix, did you design this with my character in mind? Because I'm totally using this in our campaign. :smallbiggrin:
Intro's, actually. :smalltongue: But go for it.

Thanks for the help, everyone. :smallsmile:

Blue Ghost
2010-08-24, 05:52 PM
What does it mean that you can utilize the Singing Blade and bardic music simultaneously? I take it to mean you can attack and start/maintain bardic music with the same standard action? Is that right?

Cieyrin
2010-08-24, 05:59 PM
What does it mean that you can utilize the Singing Blade and bardic music simultaneously? I take it to mean you can attack and start/maintain bardic music with the same standard action? Is that right?

Y'know, you're right about what exactly that means. I'd specify that doing so enables using Bardic Music as a swift or free action. I'm falling back on swift just as it may get too good otherwise, even with the flurry style penalty to attacks. A lack of focus, as it were.

Lix Lorn
2010-08-24, 07:58 PM
Swift makes sense. (nods)