PDA

View Full Version : DVD Copy Software

Gerrtt
2010-08-23, 09:15 PM
Hey all,

My wife and I are in the process of putting old family home movies onto DVD for our families. We have a DVD Player that also records DVDs, but doesn't have any function to copy an existing DVD.

My laptop has a DVD burner though, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for software that could be used to copy a DVD so that once we get the films on DVD we can make copies for everyone. Any thoughts?

I am in no way trying to copy my purchased DVDs to distribute illegally, just trying to make copies of family movies for my family.

Jack Squat
2010-08-23, 09:41 PM
I use DVD Shrink to make digital copies of my movies. You can copy it over as a DVD file (Video_TS and Audio_TS files) or an ISO image - the second one being easier to re-burn.

I haven't made copies, but Nero should be able to do it.

Erloas
2010-08-23, 09:45 PM
Almost every burning software has the option to save the ISO file it creates (its all the files translated into the format required to actually burn the disk). At that point you can burn that onto as many DVDs as you like without having to have the original to copy from. Its not something I've done in a long time, but almost every program can do that.

Does the DVD player you have do all the authoring for the DVD or does it simply record clips onto the DVD? If you already have DVD authoring software that should include everything you need to burn the DVD.

I can't really recommend any specific software because its not something I actually do. My brother has done it a fair amount, but everything he has used has generally been fairly high end paid software so that doesn't help a whole lot. All I can really say though is that there is a lot of different software that does what you want to do and in any case its probably a matter of finding what works for you. I would start with a quick search on download.cnet.com because they do a good job of scanning for spyware in the software they host and they have a pretty good number of users for ratings and reviews. Its not perfect but its a safer place to start then searching google for DVD burning software.

Zeofar
2010-08-23, 09:48 PM
Nero should be good enough for home movies. Nero along with DVD shrink can do most things you'll probably ever be interested in, so that is a good combination. DVD shrink is free. Nero will cost you some money, but an older version shouldn't be too expensive.

factotum
2010-08-24, 01:29 AM
To add to what Erloas says, your DVD burning software may also be capable of making an ISO image from a pre-existing DVD, if that's what you have available to copy.

IonDragon
2010-08-24, 04:16 AM
Some DVD burning software has you select an "Imager" when it comes time to select the destination drive in order to save the .ISO.

Tirian
2010-08-24, 06:29 AM
Just to piggyback on this, is there routine DVD burning software that lets you embed DVD features like subtitles and chapter marks? Based on the stuff I've seen on the shelves at box stores, you'd think that amateurs that transcribe their VHS tapes to DVD aren't interested in (or capable of) doing it properly, so I've never bought one.

Cicciograna
2010-08-24, 06:34 AM
Given that you need just basic functions, I'd suggest you to avoid commercial programs: Nero, for example, is probabily the best software for the copy/writing of optical support, as it offers a gazillion of options to choose from...but it is not free! Moreover, it's quite big in terms of hard disk space, so it would probabily be a waste of resources to buy it.
I suggest Ashampoo Burning Studio Free Edition: it's lightweight, allows to copy DVD without problems and it's free.

You can download it here (http://download.cnet.com/Ashampoo-Burning-Studio-Free/3000-2646_4-10776287.html) (or from another myriad of sources - just google it).

Erloas
2010-08-24, 08:49 AM
Just to piggyback on this, is there routine DVD burning software that lets you embed DVD features like subtitles and chapter marks? Based on the stuff I've seen on the shelves at box stores, you'd think that amateurs that transcribe their VHS tapes to DVD aren't interested in (or capable of) doing it properly, so I've never bought one.

It is the DVD authoring software that allows you to add chapters and the opening screens. Not sure about subtitles, but probably those as well. I don't know much about the software beyond the generic name though.

Tirian
2010-08-24, 10:50 AM
It is the DVD authoring software that allows you to add chapters and the opening screens.

Ah, well observed. What I meant was the bundled DVD-writing software packages that they sell in places like Best Buy that include burning software and maybe a video editing tool and a component that rips VCRs, I don't know. I have yet to see one of these that treats the authoring software as a serious part of the package. I want subtitles, and they're giving me star wipes.

Maybe Nero is what I"m looking for, although I'd hate to spend all that money and get something that only prints DVDs with the European region code. :smallamused:

Jimorian
2010-08-25, 02:34 AM
It is the DVD authoring software that allows you to add chapters and the opening screens. Not sure about subtitles, but probably those as well. I don't know much about the software beyond the generic name though.

I'm spoiled, I took a class in DVD Studio Pro for the Apple, and it can basically do any trick in the DVD spec, and I learned enough to pretty much replicate anything you can find on a commercial DVD. Unfortunately, I don't have an Apple myself, and couldn't afford the software suite if I did (which also comes with Final Cut Pro). It's definitely all on my wish list, particularly since I'm trying to turn pro in video production. (Adobe Premiere Pro for editing, and Adobe Encore for DVD authoring are the PC world's pro-level equivalents).

But anyway, back on topic a bit, I've yet to find free or even cheap DVD authoring software that really does what I'm looking for, which is typically some kind of control over sub menus listing chapters.

I bought Magix Movie Edit Pro 15 (they're on edition 16 now), for around $100, and it is surprisingly complete for video editing and more than average DVD authoring (some of which I had no clue how to use until after I understood the process better learning DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut). It also has pretty decent DVD copying functions (presuming there's no copy protection as we are in this thread).