PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Familiars/Lesser Creatures

Serpentine
2010-08-24, 06:05 AM
I just translated a normally-swarming creature into an individual critter for the purpose of giving it to a PC as a familiar. Thought I'd throw it up here, and throw the thread open for anyone with similar homebrews and houserules.

Shimmerling
Size/Type: Fine Fey
Hit Dice: ¼d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 5 ft (1 square), fly 50 ft. (perfect)
Armor Class: 24 (+8 size, +6 Dex), touch 24, flat-footed 18
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-21
Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d2-5)
Full Attack: Bite +2 melee (1d2-5)
Space/Reach: 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Hive mind, low-light vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +4
Abilities: Str 1, Dex 22, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 15, Cha 18
Skills: Hide +36, Listen +2, Move Silently +6, Spot +2
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, glimmer (5-20) or dazzle (20-200)
Challenge Rating: 1/10
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

A naked and glowing elfin creature only 4 inches tall balances on the leaf before you, and as you watch, it spreads dragonfly wings.

Individual shimmerlings are miniscule and nearly mindless fey that feed on pollen. It looks like a 4-inch tall elf with dragonfly wings. Its skin and hair are the same colour as the glow it gives off, which can be any colour of the rainbow.
A shimmerling weighs 1 ounce.
Shimmerlings speak Sylvan.

Combat
An individual shimmerling is practically harmless. It is more likely to hide than to attack.
Hive Mind (Ex): Individual shimmerlings can sometimes mass together into a swarm. When they do so, they form a hive mind, giving them an intelligence score of 7, as well as various other abilities. A group of shimmerlings large enough to obtain this hive mind becomes a shimmerling swarm (MMIII p. 152).

As a familiar
Grants its master a +1 bonus to the DC of any "prismatic" spells and those with the [light] descriptor he casts.

By the way, this incidentally works quite well as a Labyrinth fairy.

Latronis
2010-08-24, 06:14 AM
As in Jim Henson's Labyrinth?

Roc Ness
2010-08-24, 06:16 AM
As a familiar
I'm not sure. I was considering +1 to the DC of prismatic, light and chaos spells. Would that be too much?

It shouldn't be too much, unless your players are willing to squeeze the juice out of any resource they have to get overpowered spells...

Or as Link's eternally annoying companion. :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Also, given that you are opening this thread to similar homebrews, is it okay for me to homebrew a firefly familiar? Only that Owl City song is still stuck in my head and I have the urge to play a Bard with a single firefly in a jar as his companion...

Serpentine
2010-08-24, 06:57 AM
Latrinous: Yep.

Roc: Of course. That was kinda the point.

Roc Ness
2010-08-24, 07:00 AM
Hooray! I'll do it tommorrow, though. Feeling really tired...

Latronis
2010-08-24, 07:20 AM
Tomorrow i'll see if i can find my notes for my widdle-dwagon-wike advanced familiars

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 07:24 AM

Watch out, they BITE!

EDIT: Excellent work, by the way. SCIENCE!

hamishspence
2010-08-24, 07:41 AM
I'm tempted to stat out a lone Hellwasp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/swarm.htm#hellwaspSwarm), once I've got the books to hand and can figure out the necessary modifications.

Latronis
2010-08-24, 07:47 AM
Do you think a lone hellwasp would be capable of inhabiting a body to the same degree as a swarm?

If so that's a pretty potent ability for well anything at that level

hamishspence
2010-08-24, 07:54 AM
Probably not- like the shimmerling's dazzle effects, it would be lost for a lone creature.

Still pretty tough though. Powerful poison, DR 10/magic, fire resistance.

Buzzzzzz! :smallamused:

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 10:21 AM
Maybe a Cranial Encyster (http://www.scribd.com/doc/35192772/Accessory-Dragon-Magazine-330) (pg 24/25 of .pdf)?

Xefas
2010-08-24, 11:55 AM
Baby Balor
Tiny Outsider (Chaotic, Evil, Extraplanar)
HD 1/2 d8+1 (3hp)
Speed 15ft. (3 squares); 30ft Fly (Good Maneuverability)
Init: +6
AC 15; touch 14; flat-footed 13
(+2 Size, +1 Natural Armor, +2 Dex)
BAB +1; Grp -7
Attack Longsword +3 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Full-Attack Longsword +3 (1d4, 19-20/x2)
Space 2.5 ft.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks Vorpal Sword
Special Qualities Darkvision 60ft, Damage Reduction 1/Cold Iron and Good, Telepathy 100ft
Saves Fort +3 Ref +4 Will +0
Abilities Str 10, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 6, Wis 6, Cha 12
Skills Hide +4, Intimidate +5, Listen +6, Spot +6, Knowledge (The Planes) +2, Move Silently +4
Feats Improved Initiative
Environment The Infinite Layers of the Abyss
Organization Solitary or Nuclear Family (1 Balor, 1 Marilith, 2.5 Baby Balors)
Challenge Rating 1/2
Alignment Chaotic Evil
Level Adjustment -

Vorpal Sword (Su): Balors have the ability to summon forth a demonic artifact from the heart of the Abyss; a sword, shaped as a flame or bolt of lightning. Fully grown Balors are imbued with the power of a +1 Vorpal Longsword sized for a large creature. Baby Balors are only capable of summoning Tiny non-magical non-masterwork Longswords. No more than a dagger to a human-sized creature, Baby Balors use these more for grooming than actual fighting.

-As a Familiar-

Summoned by particularly ambitious magi adept in the conjuring arts, the infantile versions of the most feared of Demonkind may be bonded to as a (admittedly unorthodox) familiar. One would assume that such violent cretins would begrudge servitude, but in truth they often find such opportunity to sow havoc in the mortal realm rather rewarding. In addition, they no longer must suffer under the shadow of their formidable fathers and mothers, or constantly worry about assassination attempts on their life. Indeed, if the foolhardy wizard or sorcerer treats them kindly, the Balor-to-be may not even drag them screaming into the howling darkness until they reach Adolescence.

To have a Baby Balor as a Familiar, the caster must be Chaotic Evil and have access to at least 1 Conjuration (Summoning) spell. Having one as a familiar adds 2 rounds to the duration of any Conjuration (Summoning) spell used to summon a Chaotic Evil creature. The special bond between Familiar and Master allows the Baby Balor to be treated as if they did not have the Extraplanar subtype when they come under an effect where having such a subtype would matter if the Baby Balor chooses.

The existence of this creature is both tongue-in-cheek and assumes that certain Outsiders can find a way to naturally procreate with one another, even if that means is uncommon.

AugustNights
2010-08-24, 03:30 PM
Somehow I think something more like 'grants a +1 to all knowledge checks', or the like would be appropriate for the Shimmerlings familiar abilities. That and Shimmerling familiars can learn to speak two or three words of any language their Master's choosing, and tend towards simple words like 'Look!' 'Hey!' or 'Listen!'

Zaydos
2010-08-24, 03:38 PM
Somehow I think something more like 'grants a +1 to all knowledge checks', or the like would be appropriate for the Shimmerlings familiar abilities. That and Shimmerling familiars can learn to speak two or three words of any language their Master's choosing, and tend towards simple words like 'Look!' 'Hey!' or 'Listen!'

My brain... oww... the nightmares are back.

StormRaven
2010-08-24, 04:50 PM
Cuttlefish
Size/Type: Tiny Animal (Aquatic)
Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: Swim 30ft
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), touch 16, flat-footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Tentacle +4 melee (1d2-4)
Full Attack: Tentacle +4 melee (1d2-4)
Space/Reach: 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Hypnotic Skin, Ink,
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, Camouflage,
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 18, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: Hide +20, Spot +5, Swim +12
Feats: Weapon Finesse
Environment: Any Aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Hypnotic Skin (Ex) A cuttlefish may lose it racial bonus to hide checks and it's camouflage ability to produce a hypnotic pattern on it's skin. Creatures within 20ft must succeed at a DC 14 will save or be fascinated until attacked or the display ends. Hypnotic Skin is not mind-effecting but only works on creatures of the Animal, Vermin or Magical Beast types. The DC is Charisma-Based.

Ink (Ex) A cuttlefish may emit a cloud of ink 5ft high by 5ft wide by 5ft long once every minute as a free action. The cloud provides total concealment. All vision is obscured in the cloud.

Camouflage (Ex) A cuttlefish may hide in any aquatic terrain, even if the terrain does not proved cover or concealment. A cuttlefish gains a +10 competence bonus on hide checks in natural aquatic terrain.

Skills A cuttlefish can change colors giving it a +6 bonus on hide checks. A cuttlefish has a +8 racial bonus to preform swim checks to take some special action or to avoid a hazard. It can always take 10 on swim checks even if endangered or distracted. It can run while swimming provided it swims in a straight line. A cuttlefish uses dexterity for swim checks instead of strength.

As a familiar
+3 to Hide checks

CR may be off.

Set
2010-08-24, 07:39 PM
Love the Baby Balor. It's just awesome. It might even be funny to give it the power to summon an actual Vorpal sword, that only affects creatures one size class smaller than itself... (although I could see someone trying to use enlarge person to make that a tiny bit more useful)

Some alternate familiars from my own home-brew (http://www.skiltair.com/Ian/Index_familiars.htm) including small / tiny familiar-sized versions of the yugoloth, formian, archon, deva, gargoyle, hell hound, etc. (Ideally, I wanted one for each alignment, since imps and quasits needed some counterparts, IMO!)

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 07:44 PM
Love the Baby Balor. It's just awesome. It might even be funny to give it the power to summon an actual Vorpal sword, that only affects creatures one size class smaller than itself... (although I could see someone trying to use enlarge person to make that a tiny bit more useful)

Or maybe it summons a full-sized balor sword?

Serpentine
2010-08-25, 01:42 AM
Which then crushes it beneath its weight...
Heeee, baby balor! :smallbiggrin:

I added a touch to the Shimmerling. Also it was pointed out to me that it doesn't actually qualify for Weapon Finesse. Would it be terrible if I gave it a +1 BA, or are there any other possible replacement feats?

Latronis
2010-08-25, 02:27 AM
ooo illegally having weapon finesse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm)

It's allowed (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/rat.htm)

unosarta
2010-08-25, 02:30 AM
I just wanted to post this after watching kitteh videos for a while.

http://blacksnowwarrior.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/adorable-kitty.jpg

D’AWWWWWW

Kitten
Diminutive Animal
HD 1/16 d8 (1 hp)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares)
Init: +3
AC 19; touch 19; flat-footed 14 (10+2[Dex]+3[Cha]+4[Size])
BAB +0; Grp +0
Attack Bite +7 (0d4-4)
Space 1 ft.; Reach 1 ft.
Special Attacks Cuddle, OMNOMNOM, I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao?
Special Qualities D’AWW
Saves Fort +2 Ref +4 Will -1
Abilities Str 2, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 8, Cha 16
Skills Diplomacy +7, Hide +16, Move Silently +4
Feats Weapon Finesse
Challenge Rating 1/16
Treasure None
Alignment Neutral
Advancement --
Favored Class --
Level Adjustment –-

A kitten is the epitome of cuteness, the most adorable thing most anyone has ever seen. They can incapacitate a grown man with a glance of their cute little furry faces, and turn even the most horrid mindflayer into a bawling little girl.

Combat is usually short lived, and almost always ends up in a cuddle puddle with the kitten at the center.

Cuddle (Ex): The Kitten may attempt a grapple attempt upon others, in order to make them giggle and coo at the kitten for hours on end, as they grapple helplessly, and adorably. For this grapple effect, the Kitten may add any bonuses and modifiers that they would gain to Diplomacy from ability scores, racial bonuses and skill ranks to the grapple check. If they succeed, the target and all within 5 feet are fascinated by the kitten, unable to take their eyes away from its cuteness.

D’AWW (Ex): How could anyone hurt something so cute as a kitten? The kitten gains a bonus to its Armor Class equal to its charisma modifier. Any attack against the kitten made by a non-mindless foe takes a -2 penalty.

OMNOMNOM (Ex): As a standard action, the kitten may make a bite attack. If it is successful, the target is dazed for one round by the kitten's cuteness. The kitten must wait 2d4 rounds before using this ability again. This attack does 0 damage.

I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao? (Ex): Whenever an attack does not land against the kitten the kitten poses triumphantly and adorably, unaware of the attack that almost just hit them. Everyone who sees the adorable, triumphant pose must make a Will save (DC 13), or start rolling on the floor (cannot make any move or standard actions, takes a -2 penalty to Reflex saves, and cannot make any actions that involve a verbal component).

Skills: The kitten has a +1 racial bonus to Hide and Move Silently, and +4 racial bonus to Diplomacy checks.

As a Familiar
Grants their master a +2 bonus to all Diplomacy checks.

Instead of gaining a bonus to intelligence, like most familiars, the kitten gains a bonus to Charisma.

Also, as towards the not getting Weapon Finesse, then how does the Cat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/cat.htm) get it, with +0 BAB? :smallconfused: [Edit]: Swordsaged!

dsmiles
2010-08-25, 04:18 AM
Kitten

Looks good, but your forgot the "Omnomnom (Ex)" and "I Can Haz Cheezburger Naow? (Ex)" abilities.

Roc Ness
2010-08-25, 04:28 AM
Okay, Firefly Familiar! With a reason to take Improved Familiar! :smallbiggrin:
I don't actually know all that much about fireflies in general, so if somebody has a nitpic about it I'd be glad to edit the firefly. In particular, I'm wondering if the illumination radii are correct, and the size of swarms.

"Because my dreams are bursting at the seams..."
http://kimandjason.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/firefly_jar.jpg

Firefly
Fine Vermin
HD 1/8 d8-2 (1 hp)
Speed 5 ft. (1 squares); 40ft fly (Good Maneuverability)
Init: +4
AC 22 (+8 size, +4 Dex); touch 22; flat-footed 18
BAB +0; Grp -21
Attack None
Full-Attack None
Space 1/3 in.; Reach 0 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Light, Horrible Taste, Vermin Traits
Saves Fort +0 Ref +4 Will +1
Abilities Str 1, Dex 19, Con 6, Int -, Wis 12, Cha 9
Skills None
Feats Dodge (Bonus)
Environment Temperate and Tropical Plains, Forests and Marshland
Organization Firefly Swarm (40-200)
Challenge Rating 1/10
Treasure None
Alignment Always True Neutral
Advancement -
Level Adjustment -

Fireflies are an enigmatic species of beetle that uses bioluminescence instinctive alchemical abilities to produce natural, heatless light in its abdomen.

Light (Ex): A healthy firefly may glow for an extended period of time, producing enough light to produce bright illumination in a one inch radius, and shadowy illumination in a 5 foot radius.

Bad Taste (Ex): Any creature that successfully deals damage to a firefly with a bite attack, or eats it, must make a Fortitude Save (DC 8, Save is Constitution Based) or become sickened for one round.

As a Familiar:
As a familiar the firefly grants their master Low-light vision. If its master already has low-light vision, the firefly grants its master a +5 bonus to spot checks in shadowy illumination.
aaaaIn Addition!
If the firefly's master has the Improved Familiar feat the firefly also grants its master a +1 to caster level and Spell Save DCs for all spells cast from the [Light] Descriptor.

dsmiles
2010-08-25, 05:13 AM
Bad Taste (Ex): Any creature that successfully deals damage to a firefly with a bite attack, or eats it, must make a Fortitude Save (DC 8, Save is Constitution Based) or become sickened for one round.

Personal experience? :smalltongue:

Looks good, and bioluminescence is too SCIENCE-y a word for DnD so good call taking that out.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 09:27 AM
Looks good, but your forgot the "Omnomnom (Ex)" and "I Can Haz Cheezburger Naow? (Ex)" abilities.

They will be added in!

[Edit]: Hm, unsure of how to implement I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao?

Xefas
2010-08-25, 10:07 AM
Confused Level 1 Commoner
Medium Humanoid (Human)
HD 1d4 (2hp)
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
Init: +0
AC 11; touch 10; flat-footed 11
(+1 Padded Armor)
BAB +0; Grp +0
Attack Dagger +0 (1d4)
Full-Attack Dagger +0 (1d4)
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities None
Saves Fort +0 Ref +0 Will +0
Abilities Str 10, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills Climb +2, Hide +1, Listen +2, Profession (Familiar) +7, Spot +2
Feats Skill Focus (Profession (Familiar)), Alertness
Environment Any
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 1/2
Alignment Any
Level Adjustment -

This poor youth is disheveled and slightly mad-looking. He's wearing black padded armor with the word "Raven" scrawled across it in bright white paint, and you can see places where feathers of varying colors and sizes have been pasted to it.

He insists that he can speak any one language of your choice, but if you pick anything other than Common, he seems to just babble incoherently.

-As a Familiar-

Occasionally an especially unfortunate wizard or sorcerer will perform their Familiar-summoning ritual, choosing an animal they fancy having around, but instead, something else arrives; something...odd.

A grown man in an off-putting costume will arrive, claiming to be their new familiar. They insist on calling them 'Master' and continuously attempt to climb up and perch on the poor summoner's shoulders, or curl up inside their robes to sleep at night. Any attempt to convince them that they are not, in fact, a Raven, is met with staunch denial and some act of proof as to the otherwise.

The most saintly of Magi are too kind to dump the especially confused commoner in the woods and run, and everyone else is too worried that the Familiar Ritual actually worked, and they'll lose experience if the strange man comes to harm.

Confused Level 1 Commoners grant their masters a +8 bonus on all Profession checks.

dsmiles
2010-08-25, 10:19 AM

Should have saved that one for April 1st. I don't think I'll be capable of producing anything more than a snicker anytime anyone mentions the words 'commoner' or 'raven' ever again.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 10:21 AM

If he is level one, does that mean he could take class levels? I know that the LA is "-", but there is always the possibility.

Now I am imagining a Wizard with a Confused Level 1 Commoner, who has class levels in wizard, and whose familiar is, you guess it; another Confused Level 1 Commoner. Not that it is possible, but it is fun to dream. (Also, the sanity checks needed for everyone involved [the familiars both believing themselves to be familiars, but one is a familiar to the other, which is pretty mind-boggling, and then for the wizard, who has to deal with them both...] would be potentially hilarious).

[Edit]: Also, the Kitten would make a great familiar to a super villain:

Super Villain: You ask who I am?! I am Salithros, Culler of the Light, Killer of all that is pure and holy, Destroyer of lives and master of the -- Mister Tibbles, stop playing with that peice of string!

Mister Tibbles: Mew.

Random NPC: Ooo, is that a Kitten? *Goes over and pets*

Salithros: *Sighs* Mister Tibbles, stop playing with the nice man.

Mister Tibbles: Mew? *Walks over to Salithros, lays down on his feet and starts to purr*

Salithros: No! That is not what I meant! Bad kitten! Bad!

Random NPC: D'AAAWWWW...

Salithros: Shut up...

dsmiles
2010-08-25, 10:25 AM
They will be added in!

[Edit]: Hm, unsure of how to implement I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao?

Excellent use of OMNOMNOM, though. As far as I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao goes, maybe it only affects creatures only already under the influence of D'AWW? The kitten does something (anthropomorphic, perhaps) and the affected creature (Will save's or) rofl's for a few rounds?

EDIT:
@unosarta: Confused Level 1 Commoner spamming (as opposed to chain Gating Solars)?

unosarta
2010-08-25, 10:30 AM
Excellent use of OMNOMNOM, though. As far as I Can Haz Cheezburger Nao goes, maybe it only affects creatures only already under the influence of D'AWW? The kitten does something (anthropomorphic, perhaps) and the affected creature (Will save's or) rofl's for a few rounds?
Hm, that could work. Something like, After the kitten does a successful D'AWW attempt, they make a cute little pose, and everyone has to make a will save or roll around on the floor for 2 rounds? Also, you need to see above for the best super villain ever.

EDIT:
@unosarta: Confused Level 1 Commoner spamming (as opposed to chain Gating Solars)?

It's even better since they all potentially have HD equal to their master's, so, infinite commoners?

dsmiles
2010-08-25, 10:37 AM
Best. Supervillain. EVAR.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 10:40 AM
Best. Supervillain. EVAR.

:smallbiggrin:

He wouldn't even be a bad Thrallherd either. Just distract the opponent with Mr. Tibbles, and then pop off a Dominate. Also, he probably got Mr. Tibbles because he wanted to go with the whole "Stroking Cat Super Villain" look, but Mr. Tibbles kind of wandered off halfway through his speech, to go over and cuddle with the PCs.

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 10:55 AM
:smallbiggrin:

He wouldn't even be a bad Thrallherd either. Just distract the opponent with Mr. Tibbles, and then pop off a Dominate. Also, he probably got Mr. Tibbles because he wanted to go with the whole "Stroking Cat Super Villain" look, but Mr. Tibbles kind of wandered off halfway through his speech, to go over and cuddle with the PCs.

I had that actually happen when DMing once, I was stroking a cat, describing the boss area and it jumped out of my lap to cuddle one of the players. Course it wasn't my white cat (she's the actual super villain too loyal for that)

unosarta
2010-08-25, 10:59 AM
I had that actually happen when DMing once, I was stroking a cat, describing the boss area and it jumped out of my lap to cuddle one of the players. Course it wasn't my white cat (she's the actual super villain too loyal for that)

That is pretty epic. :smallamused:
Wait, so you had multiple familiars? Or was the cat that you were stroking the decoy familiar for the true villain?

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 11:09 AM
Decoy of course. I'm the white cat's familiar is the true familiar.

Oddly enough the villain while a wizard didn't have a familiar... and was himself a decoy.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 11:14 AM
Decoy of course. I'm the white cat's familiar is the true familiar.

Oddly enough the villain while a wizard didn't have a familiar... and was himself a decoy.

Of course. Did he have Invisible Spell? That is usually the only way to make it really seem like someone else is casting, unless the cat was an illusionist.

Oh, the villain should have gotten a Confused Level 1 Commoner, that would have done the trick.

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 11:23 AM
I was physically holding the cat IRL and it went to the player (foiling my own attempt to look villainous).

And no the villain was a decoy in the sense that he wasn't the actual big bad of the dungeon but the Dragon pretending to be the BBEG.

Although there was a wizard whose cat familiar liked the PCs better, but he was a nice old man... who they only assumed was a murderous assassin.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 11:27 AM
I was physically holding the cat IRL and it went to the player (foiling my own attempt to look villainous).
That is... the best prop ever?

Although there was a wizard whose cat familiar liked the PCs better, but he was a nice old man... who they only assumed was a murderous assassin.

Of course they would. See, but no one would have that assumption for a Wizard with a kitten. :smallsigh:

Also, I kind of want to make a Transmuter Specialist Wizard, and then use enlarge person on the kitten to make it huge, and then have giant cuddle puddles via grapple. :smalltongue:

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 12:09 PM
That is... the best prop ever?

If it hadn't left me ;_; They got used to me using cats as props... and one multiple times a PC tried to use a cat as a mini, that never ended well.

Of course they would. See, but no one would have that assumption for a Wizard with a kitten. :smallsigh:

Also, I kind of want to make a Transmuter Specialist Wizard, and then use enlarge person on the kitten to make it huge, and then have giant cuddle puddles via grapple. :smalltongue:

By the time they saw the cat they had determined he had not killed the DMPC (it started out round-robin DMing, somehow no one else made adventures)... it took them a whole session of freaking out about the possibility the DMPC got killed.

And yes huge kitten is adorable... although on that matter the AC is off, it doesn't include its size modifier (+4 to AC) and there's a typo in the touch AC.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 12:13 PM
If it hadn't left me ;_; They got used to me using cats as props... and one multiple times a PC tried to use a cat as a mini, that never ended well.

Cat mini's seem like they would be hard to find and buy in general.

By the time they saw the cat they had determined he had not killed the DMPC (it started out round-robin DMing, somehow no one else made adventures)... it took them a whole session of freaking out about the possibility the DMPC got killed.
Wow... the DMPC was that important to them?

And yes huge kitten is adorable... although on that matter the AC is off, it doesn't include its size modifier (+4 to AC) and there's a typo in the touch AC.
OK, fixed.

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 12:21 PM
Cat mini's seem like they would be hard to find and buy in general. [quote]
They weren't using them for cats though... usually it was medium sized creatures so the scale was horribly off (once it was a gargantuan dragon).

[quote]
Wow... the DMPC was that important to them?

Yeah I was trying to write him out of the game for a while (this was my 2nd attempt) they wouldn't let me. They might have cared more for his Animal Companion than him though, when I wrote it out they made me bring it back as an awakened animal.

unosarta
2010-08-25, 12:29 PM
They weren't using them for cats though... usually it was medium sized creatures so the scale was horribly off (once it was a gargantuan dragon).
:smalleek:

Yeah I was trying to write him out of the game for a while (this was my 2nd attempt) they wouldn't let me. They might have cared more for his Animal Companion than him though, when I wrote it out they made me bring it back as an awakened animal.
What levels of badassery did his Animal Companion have to be wanted more than the character by the party? :smallamused:

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 12:39 PM
:smalleek:

What levels of badassery did his Animal Companion have to be wanted more than the character by the party? :smallamused:

No idea... it was a cat (okay a tiger)? It was also a familiar (Arcane-Hierophant, which meant he never used wild shape and was an unoptimized buff mage with some blasting)

Either way I should stop derailing the thread because I want to see more of these lesser familiars... actually I'd like to have a baby balor sometime (I might have an evil wizard NPC have one as a familiar now).

Latronis
2010-08-25, 12:48 PM
I've actually had the same thing happen, trying to write out a dmpc when a new player joined but they had grown quite attached to her fiendish monkey familiar

Xefas
2010-08-25, 05:11 PM
Imaginary Friend
Medium Outsider
HD 1/2 d8 (4hp)
Speed 30ft. (6 squares)
AC 10; touch 10; flat-footed 10
(None)
BAB +1; Grp +1
Attack None
Full-Attack None
Space 5 ft.; Reach 5 ft.
Special Attacks None
Special Qualities Imaginary
Saves Fort +2 Ref +2 Will +4
Abilities Str 1, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 14
Skills Knowledge (Arcana) +1, Knowledge (Architecture and Engineering) +1, Knowledge (Dungeoneering) +1, Knowledge (Geography) +1, Knowledge (History) +1, Knowledge (Local) +1, Knowledge (Nature) +1, Knowledge (Nobility and Royalty) +1, Knowledge (Religion) +1, Knowledge (The Planes) +1, Listen +8, Sense Motive +6, Spot +4
Feats Alertness
Environment Any
Organization Solitary
Challenge Rating 1/2
Alignment True Neutral
Level Adjustment -

Imaginary (Ex): An Imaginary Friend doesn't exist except within the mind of a single person to which they are bonded. They cannot interact with the real world in any way, or be interacted with by anything that is real, except for that one person.

Imaginary things, can, however, alter their size and appearance from anything to Fine, Colossal, Horrifying, or Beautiful. They may speak telepathically with their bonded person, and even Aid Another on any purely mental task that does not involve the Imaginary Friend interacting with the world.

-As a Familiar-

Imaginary Friends are Outsiders from the Demiplane of Dreams. They know a little bit about everything, and are great listeners. Most magi with Imaginary Friends as familiars are young children who have manifested Sorcererous powers and need help coping with the changes in their life. Still, there are some adults who need just that little bit of guidance as well.

An Imaginary Friend grants a +4 bonus on saving throws against fear or intimidation, as it teaches the caster to face their monsters (literally or figuratively) and gives them courage in times of need. In addition, if a mind-affecting ability would cause the caster to perform an action abhorrent to them, the Imaginary Friend may grant them an immediate Will saving throw to break the effect (in addition to any other saving throws they may have gotten).

The Tygre
2010-08-25, 05:23 PM
This puts Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends in a -whooole- new light.

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 05:27 PM
Imaginary Friend is actually a rather useful familiar. The aid another ability means it is a +2 to Knowledge checks, and Spellcraft checks fairly easily; although what would be a purely mental action for this?

The save bonuses from it as a familiar are also really nice. And the fact that it can't be killed is another good plus.

I like it, I can actually see a character that would use this in game (I made one that had a pixie familiar he thought was his imaginary friend and vice versa).

Xefas
2010-08-25, 05:33 PM
Also, about the 'Confused Level 1 Commoner' taking class levels, I don't think familiars are usually allowed to take levels in actual classes (if they were, you would be getting this problem with every familiar - a Cat taking levels in Sorcerer, and then getting another Cat, etc).

The Confused Level 1 Commoner would just be getting additional Humanoid Racial Hit Dice for its bonus as a familiar.

Latronis
2010-08-25, 05:41 PM
Problem with that is the confused level 1 commoner already has class levels...

Strictly speaking it should probably have 1 humanoid hitdie.

dsmiles
2010-08-25, 05:48 PM
although on that matter the AC is off, it doesn't include its size modifier (+4 to AC) and there's a typo in the touch AC.

I dunno, have you ever tried to catch a kitten that didn't want to be caught? :smalltongue:

Latronis
2010-08-25, 05:54 PM
I dunno, have you ever tried to catch a kitten that didn't want to be caught? :smalltongue:

Without any adverse effects to said kitten?

Zaydos
2010-08-25, 07:41 PM

Without any adverse effects to said kitten?

Yes. I've had cats since I was a toddler. I've also had to catch an oiled kitten that didn't want to be caught and clean the oil off of it when it didn't want to be near water and then dry it when it didn't want to be dried. All without hurting it... only time that cat ever scratched me.

Also I never said it shouldn't have that high of an AC; it just needed 115 AC and a +100 Kitten bonus then. Without the latter I assumed the touch AC was the typo due to the math :smalltongue:

unosarta
2010-08-25, 08:54 PM
Yes. I've had cats since I was a toddler. I've also had to catch an oiled kitten that didn't want to be caught and clean the oil off of it when it didn't want to be near water and then dry it when it didn't want to be dried. All without hurting it... only time that cat ever scratched me.

Also I never said it shouldn't have that high of an AC; it just needed 115 AC and a +100 Kitten bonus then. Without the latter I assumed the touch AC was the typo due to the math :smalltongue:

It's fixed now anyway. Also, we should have a list of possible alternate familiars.

Serpentine
2010-08-26, 12:10 AM
I like the places to which this thread has gone :smallbiggrin:

unosarta
2010-08-26, 12:43 AM
Baby Solar
Tiny Outsider (Angel, Extraplanar, Good)
HD ½d8 (2)
Speed 25 ft. (5 squares); Fly 40 ft. (Average)
AC 17; touch 12; flat-footed 15 (10+2+5[Nat])
BAB +1; Grp -5
Attack Composite Longbow +3 (1d4+2)
Space 2½ ft.; Reach 2½ ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities
Saves Fort +2 Ref +2 Will +3
Abilities Str 14, Dex 10, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 13
Skills Knowledge (the Planes) +4, Diplomacy +4, Escape Artist +3, Listen +4, Spot +4, Sense Motive +4, Hide +3, Move Silently +3, Search +4.
Feats Point Blank Shot
Challenge Rating 1
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral Good

Baby Solars are quite proficient with their little composite longbows, and dream of one day becoming as powerful as their graceful and beautiful parents. For now, all they can do is shoot their little arrows and play “Solars and Balors” (with the less popular baby solars playing the balors, of course).

The Baby Solar’s Composite Longbow, along with any weapon it wields, counts as good for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

[size=3]As a Familiar

Summoned by those mages who are especially good in nature, and are often sent out by their parents, in order to train to become more useful Solars. The most ostracized among the baby solars may also take this route, and it is not unknown for a punished older solar to be forced into a baby solars form, and then given off as a familiar, in order to punish them. Baby solars are often kinder, softer and gentler than their parents or siblings, not yet having to face the horror that are the demons and devils. They will often cling to their master, as if shy and in need of protection (which most are and do need). They have yet to grow into their full power, and their full majesty.

A baby solar may only get granted to a character who is of a good alignment. They may not be taken from a parent, and can only go of their own free will. A baby solar gives its master a +1 bonus to the save DCs of all spells with the good descriptor, and a +2 bonus to all knowledge (the Planes) checks. Because the baby solar has been sent to the material plane under the supervision of a master, they cannot be sent back to their home plane without express permission from their parents.

Also, again in the strain of thought for super villains, I can imagine a super villain that might have a helm of opposite alignment, and a personal assistant in order to take a baby solar from their parents, and then keep them in a place that is hidden from divination spells, in order to grow the Solar into a powerful soldier of evil. That would be one crazy twisted BBEG, and his solar henchman. Maybe thrallherd, in order to make sure that the baby solar stays with him. Actually, any thrallherd with a solar thrall would be twisted, if you think about it.

Latronis
2010-08-26, 02:25 AM
Just saying it's not that hard to catch a kitten, only made more difficult if you don't intend on harming it

LOTRfan
2010-08-26, 08:20 AM
I love the imaginary friend. :smallbiggrin:

Toy Breed Dog
Tiny Animal
Hit Die: ½ d8 (2 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 25 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+1 size, +4 Dex), touch 15, flat footed 11
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-9
Attack: Bite -1 melee (1d3-1 damage)
Full Attack: Bite -1 melee (1d3-1 damage)
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Scent, Lowlight vision
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Wis +1
Abilities: Str 9, Dex 19, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 12
Skills: Jump +3, Listen +4, Spot +3, Survival +5 (+9 when tracking)
Feats: Alertness, Track
Environment: Any
Organization: Domesticated
Combat Rating: ¼
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: -----
Level Adjustment: -----

A small, adorable dog runs down the halls of the castle. When it reaches your feet, it stands on its two hind legs and barks happily. It looks excited to see a new face.

Toy Breed Dogs were bred for one of two reasons: to be lap dogs purely for enjoyment and fun, or mouse hunters for those who do not like cats. These statistics can be used for any dog that is between 3 and 19 pounds (such as teacup yorkies and miniature poodles).

Combat
Toy Breed Dogs almost never enter combat, unless it is against smaller pests and vermin.

Skills: Dogs get a +4 racial bonus to jump checks. Dogs get a +4 bonus to survival when tracking by scent.

Feats: Dogs have track as a bonus feat.

As a Familiar
Many children have pet dogs when they are little, and it is not rare for wizards and sorcerers to have their love of canines carry over to their later years (in fact, its very common). Some actually choose miniature dogs as familiars. Wizards with Toy Breed Dog familiars get a +3 bonus to Sense Motive checks.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_KlE4PNnEzUk/SMVDO2CqTFI/AAAAAAAAA14/eDMKw_hzMPo/s1600-h/puppy+pool+party+miniature+yorkie+yorkshire+terrie r.jpeg

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Platyhystrix
Tiny Animal
Hit Die: 1d8 (4 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 10 ft. (2 squares), swim 15 ft.
Armor Class: 13 (+1 natural, +1 size +1 Dex), touch 12, flat footed 12
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-11
Attack: bite -3 melee (1d3-3 damage)
Full Attack: bite -3 melee (1d3-3 damage)
Special Attacks: -----
Special Qualities: Lowlight vision, scent, amphibious
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +3, Wis +0
Abilities: Str 5, Dex 12, Con 11, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 10
Skills: Listen +2, Spot +2, Swim +4
Feats: Alertness
Environment: Warm Marsh
Organization: Herd (5-30 Platyhystrixes)
Combat Rating: ¼
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -----
Level Adjustment: -----

A small creature the size of a frog slowly waddles out of the water. It has green skin and looks similar to a newt, but has a long green sail going along its spine.

Platyhystrix (meaning “flat porcupine” in Draconic) are small creatures that look similar to the unrelated Dimetrodon. These creatures are not even remotely related to Dinosaurs, as they are amphibians. They evolved long before the Age of Lizards. Their dorsal fins are used for body heat regulation.

Combat
Platyhystrix rarely engages combat except when attacking diminutive insects. Otherwise, it runs towards the nearest body of water.

Amphibious (Ex): A Platyhystrix can breathe and operate excellently in water and on land.

Platyhystrixes as Familiars
Platyhystrixes are often used by Ankylotaur sorcerers as familiars, as they are numerous and love the water as much as their masters do. Wizards/Sorcerers with a Platyhystrix familiar can hold their breath under water for an additional 2 rounds.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/26/Platyhystrix_BW.jpg
-------------------------------------------------------------------
The familiar power levels might be off (the miniature dog being a little weak and the platyhystrix giving too good a bonus), but homebrewing familiars is not something I do often, sorry.

Latronis
2010-08-26, 08:29 AM
Just a small point but dogs that small are called toy breed rather than miniature breed

dsmiles
2010-08-26, 08:31 AM
Did someone already stat out the monotremes (platypi/echidna) for use as familiars? If not, I may try my hand at this.

Serpentine
2010-08-26, 08:38 AM
Not as familiars that I know of, but I believe there was an Australian homebrew thread a while back.

Zaydos
2010-08-26, 08:38 AM
@ LOTRfan:
I'd actually say game mechanically the miniature dog is a lot stronger than the other one. +3 Sense Motive is, while not strong, pretty normal for a familiar. The dino's granted ability is more circumstantial (you are likely to be lied to, you are not likely to drown). Also the dino's speed is worse, and so is its AC. I'd say the dog is just fine, and the dino is a little on the weak side (but flavorful and good).

Latronis
2010-08-26, 08:47 AM
Did someone already stat out the monotremes (platypi/echidna) for use as familiars? If not, I may try my hand at this.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7516041&postcount=1

dsmiles
2010-08-26, 09:00 AM
and the dino is a little on the weak side (but flavorful and good).

Has no one explained to you that familiar = liability in most games?

Example:

Wizard: *Ding*
DM: You familiar takes an arrow to the head.
Wizard: AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :smallfurious:
Wizard: *gniD* :smallfrown:

Zaydos
2010-08-26, 09:03 AM
Has no one explained to you that familiar = liability in most games?

Example:

Wizard: *Ding*
DM: You familiar takes an arrow to the head.
Wizard: AAAARRRRRGGGGHHHH!!!! :smallfurious:
Wizard: *gniD* :smallfrown:

Yes. I noted that for a familiar it was weak, but flavorful. Unless it is noticeably stronger than a basic familiar it will be a liability; doesn't change the point that it was not a particularly strong familiar by any means.

unosarta
2010-08-26, 11:08 AM
http://coolvibe.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/12.jpg

Lemur
Tiny Animal
HD ½ d8 (2 hp)
Speed 20 ft. (4 squares); Climb 30 ft.
Init: +6
AC 14; touch 14; flat-footed 12 (10+2[Dex]+2)
BAB +0; Grp -3
Space 2½ ft.; Reach 2½ ft.
Special Attacks
Special Qualities Low-light vision
Saves Fort +2 Ref +4 Will +0
Abilities Str 4, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 1, Wis 11, Cha 5
Skills Climb +15, Hide +6, Move Silently +6, Jump +12, Spot +4, Listen +4, Balance +12.
Feats Improved Initiative
Environment Forests and Jungles.
Organization Solitary, Family (1-2 males, 2-3 females, 4-6 children)
Challenge Rating ½ CR.
Treasure None
Alignment Always Neutral.

The Lemur is a small, vaguely humanoid in shape, primate. They are often very mischievous and clever, and love to play tricks on others. They live in Jungles, and warm forests mostly, high up in the trees, away from predators.

Their families are usually led by a more dominant male, who takes control of the group. It is not unknown, however, for a female who is more dominant than the males of her group to take leadership. Any action that a leader makes, and any decision, is almost invariably based upon the safety of the children.

Lemurs are small, and are ring tailed. Their eyes are wide, and their fur is usually a dull grey color. They do not eat anything besides insects or plants, but if neither is in any supply, they have been known to resort to cannibalism.

Combat

Because the Lemur has no attacks, and no way of defending itself, more often than not they will run away from a fight, using their climb speed to get away from any danger. If the children of the family are under attack, most often a Lemur will take one and then run out of danger, the leader holding off anything that might harm the family.

Skills: The Lemur gains a +4 bonus to Hide, Move Silently, Spot and Listen checks. They also gain a +10 bonus to all Balance, Climb and Jump checks, and can use their Dexterity modifier instead of their Strength modifier on all climb and jump checks.

[size=3]As a Familiar

As a familiar, the Lemur provides its master with a +3 bonus to all climb checks.