PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] 10th+ level spells?

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:08 AM
For casters who have the improved spell capacity epic feat, are you allowed to design spells that take up slots higher than 9th level? If so, what are the general rules surrounding that?

kamikasei
2010-08-24, 10:11 AM
That's what Epic Spellcasting is for. I don't think there's anything explicitly forbidding 10th-level spells outside of Forgotten Realms where they used to exist and were proscribed by the goddess of magic, but they don't really have a niche.

Improved Spell Capacity is there to let you apply metamagic to high-level spells.

PId6
2010-08-24, 10:12 AM
You're looking for Epic Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicSpells.htm). Typically, Improved Spell Capacity slots are only used for metamagic'd lower level spells.

Edit: Grr, lousy extra minute spent getting the link. :smallfurious:

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 10:13 AM
That's what Epic Spellcasting is for. I don't think there's anything explicitly forbidding 10th-level spells outside of Forgotten Realms where they used to exist and were proscribed by the goddess of magic, but they don't really have a niche.

Improved Spell Capacity is there to let you apply metamagic to high-level spells.

This. Epic Spellcasting kind of takes you beyond the ken of mere 10th level spells, and into a whole new broken world (IMO).

Toptomcat
2010-08-24, 10:21 AM
This. Epic Spellcasting kind of takes you beyond the ken of mere 10th level spells, and into a whole new broken world (IMO).

I'd agree with you if spellcasters weren't already capable of tying reality in arbitrarily complicated knots already just with 9th level spell slots, but they are, so I won't.

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:22 AM
Oh darn. Looks like I can't break my 35th level sorcerer more than I already have....

By the way, I still have 2 epic level spells to add to my character before I let him loose into the multiverse, any ideas?

Grommen
2010-08-24, 10:29 AM
What can be more powerful than Wish?

The "I win Spell" ?

We don't need stink-en 10th level spells.

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 10:30 AM
Oh darn. Looks like I can't break my 35th level sorcerer more than I already have....

By the way, I still have 2 epic level spells to add to my character before I let him loose into the multiverse, any ideas?
Out of personal preference:

Nailed to the Sky
Vengeful Gaze of God

PId6
2010-08-24, 10:32 AM

How about the Gate in a Solar along with the Use Solars to Gate More Solars spells?

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:34 AM
Nailed to the sky I like, but I should get some Constitution buffs before I use Vengeful gaze of god, seeing as I only have 393 HP.

nyarlathotep
2010-08-24, 10:35 AM
There were 10th, 11th, and 12th level spells in 2nd edition that should be easily convertible. Effectively the 10th levels spells are poorly built epic spells, the 11th level spells are fairly well built, though not truly broken, epic spells, and the one 12th level spell is beyond the kin of any epic spells currently buildable.

In case you are wondering the 12th level spell allowed you to steal a god's divine rank and portfolio.

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:35 AM
How about the Gate in a Solar along with the Use Solars to Gate More Solars spells?

Hmmm..... that seems sufficently pwn. I'll work it out and get back to you.

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:36 AM
There were 10th, 11th, and 12th level spells in 2nd edition that should be easily convertible. Effectively the 10th levels spells are poorly built epic spells, the 11th level spells are fairly well built, though not truly broken, epic spells, and the one 12th level spell is beyond the kin of any epic spells currently buildable.

In case you are wondering the 12th level spell allowed you to steal a god's divine rank and portfolio.

Do you know where I could find said spells here on the internet?

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 10:38 AM
Nailed to the sky I like, but I should get some Constitution buffs before I use Vengeful gaze of god, seeing as I only have 393 HP.

Yeeeeah...Nailed to The Sky is my personal favorite, mostly for fluff reasons, but it's effective nonetheless.

2xMachina
2010-08-24, 10:39 AM
Karsus' Avatar?

It broke magic.

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:42 AM

I looked it up, and solars can't use gate unless they have it prepared.....

Karsus' Avatar?

It broke magic.

Never heard of it.

Prime32
2010-08-24, 10:45 AM
I would suggest extending the current spells per level progression, at half speed. Wizards get one 10th-level slot at 21st level, an 11th-level slot at 25th level and so on.

So a level 35 sorcerer would have access to two 13th-level spells per day.

hamishspence
2010-08-24, 10:48 AM
Never heard of it.

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsus

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsus%27s_Avatar

Chess435
2010-08-24, 10:56 AM
http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsus

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Karsus%27s_Avatar

Holy magic missles, that is epic! Wish it had details on how to actually cast it..... Good thing I have the ignore material compnents feat, lol.

PId6
2010-08-24, 11:10 AM
I looked it up, and solars can't use gate unless they have it prepared.....
Use Genesis, get a fast-time plane, then develop the following spell (preferably after achieving immortality somehow, such as being a warforged or elan):

Summon Solar
Conjuration (Summoning) [Good]
Spellcraft DC: 60
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 100 days, 11 minutes
Range: 75 ft.
Effect: Summoned solar
Duration: Permanent (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)
To Develop: 360,000 gp; 8 days; 14,400 XP. Seed: summon (DC 14). Factors: summon CR 23 creature (DC +42), permanent duration (x5). Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 10 minutes (DC -20), increase casting time by 100 days (DC -200).

This spell summons a solar. It appears where the caster designates and acts immediately, on his or her turn, if its spell resistance is overcome and it fails a Will saving throw. It attacks the caster’s opponents to the best of its ability. If the caster can communicate with the outsider, he or she can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.
Cast that enough times to get twenty solar followers (inside your fast time plane), then develop the following spell:

Summon Two Solars
Conjuration (Summoning) [Good]
Spellcraft DC: 0
Components: V, S, Ritual
Casting Time: 100 days, 11 minutes
Range: 75 ft.
Effect: Two summoned solars
Duration: Permanent (D)
Saving Throw: Will negates (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes (see text)
To Develop: 0 gp; 0 days; 0 XP. Seed: summon (DC 14). Factors: summon CR 23 creature (DC +42), summon two creatures (DC x2), permanent duration (DC x5). Mitigating factors: increase casting time by 10 minutes (DC -20), increase casting time by 100 days (DC -200), 20 extra casters contributing 9th level slots (DC -340).

This spell summons two solar. They appear where the caster designates and acts immediately, on his or her turn, if its spell resistance is overcome and it fails a Will saving throw. It attacks the caster’s opponents to the best of its ability. If the caster can communicate with the outsider, he or she can direct it not to attack, to attack particular enemies, or to perform other actions.
Cast that a few times, and scale upward from there until you can mitigate the "I Win" epic spell down to 0 DC.

Chess435
2010-08-24, 11:16 AM
Wow, that is so epic I want to give you a hug.

dsmiles
2010-08-24, 11:19 AM
Wow, that is so epic I want to give you a hug.

New spell: Epic Hug?