PDA

View Full Version : Treasure placement

Viking_Mage
2010-08-24, 02:35 PM
Today, I had a player complain about my choice of deciding treasure to drop during an adventure. My method is simply to use the tables in the DMG or the MIC and then place them in the most relevant places in the dungeon or adventure. Individual named NPCs possess equipment fitting their ECL.

I figure that if I actually picked and chose what treasure would be in the adventure, there would be practically no treasure on most adventures unless an NPC is carrying it. I really like to think that magic items are special and that not everyone has them.

I also do not tailor adventures to my PCs, I write the campaign up for any group of 3-5 PCs at the right levels, in order for me to later have a really nice campaign (for other players) prepared later in life that doesn't require much preparation when I'm older and have less time to write up a game.

What do you do about treasure? What should I do with my player's complaint? I don't have the GMing know-how to drop sufficient treasure to keep with WBL (not that I greatly like it in the first place) or to create my own treasure (which may be what he wants me to do).

Talon Sky
2010-08-24, 04:16 PM
I guess maybe I'm not understanding you. Is he complaining about the treasure itself, or where it's placed? Maybe there's not enough in his opinion?

I tend to tailor treasure to my players to some extent....if I roll up something rather odd, I usually reroll. Why give the PCs a +1 Dwarven Waraxe if none of them use axes....or are even dwarves? The quick answer is that they can sell it, but giving the fighter in the group, with Weapon Focus in Longswords, a +1 Longsword simply makes more sense to me, and the effects are better, faster.

Players want loot, and they want loot that they can use. A golden comb in the shape of a dragon is neat, but the players will rarely find a chance to use it. So until they sell it, it's just taking up space in their packs and on their paper.

(not that I greatly like it in the first place)

I don't either. But use it....trust me. By the time the higher levels come, PCs will either have so much wealth it unbalances things, or so little that they're not up to par.

DanReiv
2010-08-24, 04:51 PM
PCs will either have so much wealth

That's not true. WBL is a guideline, by no means a rule.

I didn't quite get the complaint either. Not enough loot or the lack of choice ?

Both "may" be valid reason but you didn't give a lots of details :smallwink:

The way I do it : keep them at around 75% WBL, their stuff being something like 45% Loot/45% Buy/10% Gifts

(Note : I'm currently running a fast paced campaign and warn them beforehand not to take crafting feats)

I don't tailor much, mostly because I've a special hate for treasure chest full of magic stuff (they must have seen 2 serious one in 3 years of campaign - but it was worthwhile :smallbiggrin: )

Most items are carried by something/one, and are usefull for them. If the party gets their hands on it, up to them to decide the way it's shared and/or if it'll be sold.

I really like bartering magic items, it makes more sense to me than using NPC caster as lakeys that pay a hefty XP price for the purpose of...making money ?

Did an auction sales once too, good times.

Greenish
2010-08-24, 05:47 PM
Players want loot, and they want loot that they can use. A golden comb in the shape of a dragon is neat, but the players will rarely find a chance to use it.Well, unless one of them plays an elf…

That's not true. WBL is a guideline, by no means a rule.True, but the game is balanced (insofar as 3.5 is balanced) on the assumption that the PCs have about the expected wealth in gear. An artificer or some other crafter can break the game to pieces by multiplying party's wealth. Under-equipped PCs have hard time handling appropriate EL encounter (especially the more gear-dependent non-casters).

Grommen
2010-08-24, 09:06 PM
Know what. It's your world. If he don't like it. He can get his own world. As long as your not killing the snot out of them with monsters in every encounter. Your game is balanced. Tell him to shut up, and take what he gets. :smallbiggrin:

Crow
2010-08-24, 09:30 PM
Just convert every piece of treasure you roll into gold, silver, or (if you're really tired of him) copper pieces.

Seriously.

They can spend it however they want, but if they're not near a large city, good luck getting your copper exchanged into platinum. The other thing this lets you do, is if you roll a really nice piece of treasure, you can keep it and it will be special.

Endarire
2010-08-24, 09:44 PM
I prefer to give my players cash. That way they can get what they want.

Wonton
2010-08-24, 09:51 PM
I prefer to give my players cash. That way they can get what they want.

That's funny, usually we're the ones giving our DM cash.

Vangor
2010-08-24, 10:02 PM
I barely tend to give loot from a book unless this is more "mundane" gear. Most gear is made for specific types of players and comes from specific people, areas, etc.. Limited use or simple trinkets are randomly thrown in, but this is all.

I create a few assumptions on what a party without gear could accomplish and factor in what I plan to give them, let them have access too, what they are starting with, etc..

I also do not tailor adventures to my PCs, I write the campaign up for any group of 3-5 PCs at the right levels, in order for me to later have a really nice campaign (for other players) prepared later in life that doesn't require much preparation when I'm older and have less time to write up a game.

Why create campaigns for a specific amount of players? I create a baseline encounter from power level and factor in amount of players, class choice and mix, and optimization level. Just learn what you can multiply such as saving throws, health, armor class, to hit, amount of enemies, spell levels, spell effectiveness, and such.

Comes with the DMing experience after a while so not knowing this is fine. But, begin trying to write campaigns for what you think of as the power level of your group, and you can adjust later to the power level of the new group running the game. Simply having additional players does not mean the group is always better.