PDA

View Full Version : Crucian opinions [Sandstorm]

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-24, 02:36 PM
As the title says: What do you think of these Turtle-People? I like the look of them, but that LA +2 is harsh, I think, especially as they are combat focused but their favoured class is Druid.

OMG PONIES
2010-08-24, 02:43 PM
Bonus points if you give them levels in ninja?

They're good for tanks, but I don't know if they're LA +2 good. Might make a decent Crusader, though.

Adumbration
2010-08-24, 02:48 PM
They also have 3 RHD, mind you, so you have to be ECL 5 to play them. One of my friends played one in real life campaign - got bored of it pretty fast. Was a fighter, I think, so that may have something to do with it, but apparently past the NA and decent Con, they just don't have much going for them.

Scarey Nerd
2010-08-24, 02:49 PM
They also have 3 RHD, mind you, so you have to be ECL 5 to play them. One of my friends played one in real life campaign - got bored of it pretty fast. Was a fighter, I think, so that may have something to do with it, but apparently past the NA and decent Con, they just don't have much going for them.

They don't have 3 RHD in the "As Characters" section, only in the monster entry.

Darrin
2010-08-24, 03:26 PM
The +8 natural armor is I think the highest you can get on a humanoid-type, so it might be useful as a form for alter self, but the speed 20' and the complete lack of any other distinctive racial abilities make them pretty forgettable. Although I do recall some discussion about using them as a basis for early entry into the Hidecarved Dragon PrC.

Cieyrin
2010-08-24, 07:05 PM
They don't have 3 RHD in the "As Characters" section, only in the monster entry.

That doesn't mean you ignore the RHD, though. They still have them, regardless of what they may have forgot to mention specifically, unless you seriously want to push RAW.

Although I do recall some discussion about using them as a basis for early entry into the Hidecarved Dragon PrC.

It always comes back to my mind about finding a neat way into Hidecarved Dragon pre-epic that doesn't involve murdering myself with dips. The cleanest way I can think of involves Dragonwrought Kobolds with lots of grafts. Either that or some Monk/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple to push the serious asceticism of Hidecarved Dragon.