PDA

View Full Version : Naming Ideas

Raistlin1040
2010-08-24, 04:25 PM
To all writers and roleplayers in The Playground: How do you come up with names for characters? It's my least favorite part of any character creation. I can type up 10 page backstories, and give throwaway names to random characters, but if someone is supposed to be important, I spend hours thinking about names, trying to find something that "fits". Last night, I came up with 4 characters for a roleplay I'm thinking about doing, and if it doesn't pan out, I'll probably use them in a novel instead. I just have no ideas that work.

So, how do you all name things? Do you hit randomize on Behind the Name a few times, or do you scour websites that give meanings for a specific meaning, or what?

Fay Graydon
2010-08-24, 04:28 PM
I usually take an existing word and mold it into something that still resembles the origonal word but has a cool spelling.
My past character's have been called things like:
Fayte
Syren
Harmoni
Dysmai

Things like that. :smallsmile:

Perenelle
2010-08-24, 04:33 PM
I normally look around the websites that have long lists of random names and find one that just sounds right. :smalltongue: Sometimes it takes me a couple minutes, sometimes it takes an hour or so. Depends.

An Enemy Spy
2010-08-24, 04:42 PM
Give them a name that means something that has to do with their character. For example, I had a character named Kiraba in one o my stories. The name comes from the African name Kirabo, which means gift. She was a slave given to the main character as a gift (btw, she wasn't african. I just realized the potential racism this instant so don't kill me.) and in turn ended up giving him the gift of a baby girl.

Remmirath
2010-08-24, 04:42 PM
It really depends on the system and the name. I'm very picky about names, and I'll spend hours thinking of them sometimes. Often I'll still end up with a name I'm not terribly fond of.

If the character is in a modern setting, I'll hit Behind the Name or something like that and look around. I'm very bad at thinking up actual names used on Earth myself, so I just look until one jumps out at me.

If there's some sort of language or parts of a language (or at least enough to guess at general styles) for a species I'm playing, I'll try to make the name fit in with that or use parts of it. For MERP, for instance, any Noldo or Sinda elves I play will probably end up named in Quenya or Sindarin. Dragons in D&D will often get parts of Draconic in their names.

I've sometimes taken a page from a book or something and rolled a d12 repeatedly for random names, but that often gets pretty bad results. I only do that if I'm desperate. :smalltongue:

I guess usually I just think of things until I get something I like. I don't have much of a process.

Emperor Ing
2010-08-24, 04:43 PM
A lot of times I switch around consonants and vowels in pre-existing names.

Dr.Epic
2010-08-24, 04:58 PM
Anagrams can be helpful.
Also, take a hint from comics: got a character that uses mostly fire spells? Meet Pyro Fireblast.
I also just use words that describe them. Like Blaster McPowerspell.

Mathis
2010-08-24, 05:29 PM
Just take common names, switch one or two letters and voila! It's a recipe a fantasy author named George R.R Martin uses all the time and it works well. You can be as creative as you like and play around with different combinations of various names.

Examples.
Martin becomes Martyn.
Edward becomes Eddard
Ragnar becomes Magnar.
Christine becomes Kristinn.

BizzaroStormy
2010-08-24, 05:32 PM
Usually I just pick the first name that sounds good. I once went halfway through a campaign without a name.

valadil
2010-08-24, 05:39 PM
I take permutations of real names. The goal is to come up with something that sounds like a real name that never actually happened. Often I combine two names. IE John and Jeremy becomes Joren (I think we happen to have one of those on the boards, so I'm not the only one to come up with this) and Sarah and Melissa becomes Serissa. Unless it's a stage name or a title, I don't worry about the name representing the person. I figure they were named at birth, not at their first level up. I also try to pronounce the name. Many fantasy names look cool on paper but sound ridiculous spoken aloud.

Toastkart
2010-08-24, 05:41 PM
choose at random until you find something that you like. Random name generator (http://www.behindthename.com/random/)

Aedilred
2010-08-24, 05:42 PM
As a GM, I can find this difficult, although one of the first things I do when building a society is to create a naming convention to make things easier. (This is one of the reasons I like WFRP; the Germanic names make everything so simple). I shamelessly plunder sources from fiction to history to current affairs to sport. Sometimes I fiddle with the names, sometimes I don't. I've had players pick up entirely different references to the ones I was gunning for; I had an evil cleric called Grigory in one campaign which one player was convinced was named for the NPC in Half-Life 2 (a game which at that point I'd never played)- he was of course named for Rasputin. Other times I don't even bother to hide it. When the party was attacked by twins and their positions were marked on the battle map as C and P, a player groaned and rolled his eyes immediately. It's all part of the fun, as far as I'm concerned.

Particularly in WFRP, I like giving away hints which I know players will never bother to investigate. One NPC had a name which literally meant "traitor" in German; they were astonished when he betrayed everyone. Another time I gave them a list of NPC cultists all named after F1 racing drivers. Not only did they never pick up the link between them, but if they had, they'd have easily been able to work out the name of the cult leader (he was Bretonnian/French, go figure) and they never even got close.

When it comes to naming characters myself, as before, I like having naming conventions to give me some guidelines. My PC in my current D&D campaign went through around 60 hours of play before he had a name I was remotely happy with, because when you've got every name under the sun to choose from, nothing ever seems quite right.

enigmatime
2010-08-24, 06:04 PM
I usually have their name be related to what their class is (mostly only for Humans, though). For example, I once had a female Bard named Grace Note. If it is an Elf, I give it a slightly mystical name, like Feylin Sinth. For Dwarves, something that sounds ancient, like Durgen or Metwiph. With Half-Elves (depending on what the other half is), I give them a Half-Elf/Half-Whatever first name and an obscure last name. The same goes for Half-Orcs and all the other Half races. For Drow, sorta like Elves except I make the name darker by adding silent letters (oooh, scary :smalltongue:) and such. If I can't think of any, I just roll a D20 and a D6. If I land on a vowel, I flip a coin to see if the vowel changes to A. Or I just use a random name generator. Or the phone book.

Doctor Acula
2010-08-24, 06:32 PM
Personally I am horrible with making names. For DnD characters while making my character sheet I usually yell "Someone say a noun and someone else say a verb" and thats how my characters get last names. First names are always misspelled and mispronounced names of the first TV character I can think of.

But when I write I give the characters their names. It's hard to explain, like I am only an observer in the world and I try my best to document what I see.

Cheetah109
2010-08-24, 06:58 PM
I oftentimes pick a word or simple phrase that associates with the character, and then use an online translator. I also know a bit of Latin, so I usually have a nation where all the cities/NPCs have names rooted in Latin. My methods can still take a long time if you're picky, but it usually works for me and helps me to remember off the top of my head what an NPC should be like. And I feel like I'm learning just a little, too.

It also doesn't hurt to take sounds or even whole names sometimes from the "common names" listed for a race. I do this a lot when I'm DMing a sandbox, since I'd go crazy if I prepared a name or two for every role ahead of time. But it sounds like you're not needing impromptu names anyway, so this may be a moot point.

Orzel
2010-08-24, 06:59 PM
I randomly make noises that relate to the emotion of the item I need to name.
And I'm good an random noise into name making!
Quipsney the Pigeon Monster.

*bows*

Cobalt
2010-08-24, 08:03 PM
Naming is my bane. But depending on the setting, and the importance of the character, I'll painstakingly stalk the internet for a name with little common use and a deeper meaning. Though sometimes I'll just use the older version of spelling a name. And sometimes I'll get lazy and use a placeholder name until it 'comes to me.'

Xyk
2010-08-24, 08:30 PM
I've flipped through chemistry and biology textbooks at random and found words which could be converted to cool names.

Radon--->Radienne the sorceress
Methane--->Methahn the barbarian.
etc.

Melayl
2010-08-24, 10:31 PM
I have a few different methods.

One is to go through a phone book and take the first few letters of a last name, followed by the first few of the first name, until I get something that sounds good. Like: Edward Anderson --> Aned; or Olson Daniels --> Danol, Daol, etc.

Another is to take the names of existing things, usually medications (I'm a nurse and see them alot, and the names are pretty funky). Sometimes I alter the names a little, other times they work fine as-is. For example: prednisolone --> Nisole, Predis, Solon(e); pseudoephedrine --> Ephed, Drine, Doeph; Xanax --> Xanax, Xan, Xanx

You can find drug names online, and used (outdated) PDR's and Nurses' Drug References can be found for pretty cheap.

Cealocanth
2010-08-24, 10:32 PM
I sit and scroll through the fake ID generator online untill I come up with a list of 10 or so names I think might work. Then I insert into the backstory and read it through very carefully untill one reigns supreme. If none of them work, repeat step one.

Flickerdart
2010-08-24, 10:36 PM
I find it useful to narrow things down by eliminating stupid ideas. Avoiding Xtreme Kool Letterz (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/XtremeKoolLetterz) is the first step. The easiest way is to just generate a random string of characters a few dozen long, pick a few choice syllables and mangle them until something comes out.

Jallorn
2010-08-24, 10:45 PM
I usually just sound something out. Unless I'm trying to base something off of a specific culture or language. Then I'll either take a word from the language and twist it a little, or I'll just use a name from that language.

devinkowalczyk
2010-08-24, 10:52 PM
Mash your hand on the key board
work from there
(eg: faub;vhwear===> fauvwear)

Or look them up in baby books
Devin===> Poet, so a bard.

Savannah
2010-08-25, 01:22 AM
I hate coming up with names. Sometimes they'll randomly come to me, but most of the time I spend a lot of time looking through a baby names book (they're cheap at used book sales!)

onthetown
2010-08-25, 01:14 PM
I usually create characters off of names alone. If I hear a name (or an object that would make a good name) that I like, a character is born x amount of time later and it goes through my DM for approval.

Two of the most memorable were Dices and Soehys, which shows you can get a name from just about anything. I screwed up when I was asking my DM if I could borrow his dice, and instead asked, "Hey, can I borrow some dices?" Five minutes later I had an illusionist with a two-tone colour scheme sort of thing going on. When I was walking by a grocery store at night, part of the sign was burnt out and it said "Soeys". By the time I had made it home, Soehys was completed and ready to go.

When all else fails, though (as in, I need a character without coming up with a name first, like for when I'm DMing), Behind the Name and babynamesworld.org are wonderful.

Generally, messing around with words until you get something pronounceable and name-y is a good way to go.

Strawberries
2010-08-25, 04:07 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one who has troubles with names :smallbiggrin:

When all else fails, though (as in, I need a character without coming up with a name first, like for when I'm DMing), Behind the Name and babynamesworld.org are wonderful.

Seconded. Here's the link to the second one (that's the one I use): http://babynamesworld.parentsconnect.com/ . Browsing by origin is pretty useful.

Word of advice: be sure you explain your significant other why you are on that site before he/she looks over your shoulder to see what you're doing. My boyfriend says I almost gave him an heart attack. :smalltongue:

Castaras
2010-08-25, 04:31 PM
I take letters and put them together in some sort of order that rolls off the tongue. Probably helps that I burble random words that don't exist to myself. The following names from various computer games I play I've generated by taking random syllables and putting them together.

Castaras (turned out to be a spanish town)
Kaelde
Aslandle (lovingly referred to as Asshandle by my guild in Anarchy Online)
Myve (My-V rather than Miiv, but both work. :P)
Ecrisi
Sheldratai
Ethrelda
Eshaldran
Raghnesst (big viking dude)
Praetnii (made that up a moment ago)
Loriteth (made that one up too)

I have massive lists of names that I've made up and if I can't instantly think of a name I pick a name off the list and either use it straight or adjust it.

Edit: Oh, I also take random words from other languages and mush them into a name as well. Examples would be "Nachtdiensta" and "Scattenlicta" for my soldier character I made. Encantadora for an enchanting young lady (That one is close enough to the spanish that I've got messages from people saying "Yes, you are. ASL!")

Savannah
2010-08-25, 04:39 PM
The other place I look is obituaries for last names for my d20 modern games. I've got a nice list of last names now, and I usually pick the first name and skim the last names until I find one that fits. (Word of advice: when you find that last name that fits perfectly, make sure you google the completed name. It might fit so well because it's the name of a famous person, and you just weren't paying attention when you thought it up...)

Eldpollard
2010-08-25, 04:43 PM
I tend to go with dull names as I'm lazy. Gerald the gnome illusionist was a favourite of mine. Someone else had an elf named Sebastian.

This is probably not helpful in the least.

MartytheBioGuy
2010-08-25, 04:46 PM
I usually hit up my science textbooks, find an animal that I think is similar to the character, and take some part of its or a close relative's latin name, and bingo!

That, or I look on a baby names site for a name from the relevant culture that I like the sound of.

Oh! I remembered another one. I also use dice. A d6 for vowels (1=a,2=e,3=i,4=o,5=u,6=y) and a d20 for consonants (1=b, 2=c, etc.), when I get done, the result usually looks like "Retypni," then I edit it to look like a real name, like... Restipan. Well, it looks close.

Mx.Silver
2010-08-25, 04:59 PM
I typically get a dictionary of names (or use an online one) and pick from that. Note that if you're using names from a foreign language/culture make sure you get explanations of what the name means.

If you really need to go with something more fantastical then play around with anagrams or word pronunciations. Just make sure the name is pronouncible and actually sounds like a name - making up stuff off the top of your head isn't likely to end well. One of my pet hates in fantasy and sci-fi is the prevelance of ridiculous names, particularly when applied without any consistently. The site of an apostrophe lurking midway through a name is enough to send me into fits of rage.

I usually take an existing word and mold it into something that still resembles the origonal word but has a cool spelling.
My past character's have been called things like:
Fayte
Syren
Harmoni
Dysmai

Things like that. :smallsmile:
Creating 'kewl altirnate spellingz' is another thing that I dislike, mostly because it seems rather pointless. If you want an unusual name just pick one (there isn't exactly a shortage) but if you want to use a normal sounding name just stick with the usual spelling. Creating a variant just seems to leave you with the worst of both worlds.
Still, it's preferable to altering the spellings of other words, such as titles (I'm looking at you, George R R Martin).:smalltongue:

Level8Mudcrab
2010-08-26, 02:02 AM
I often have a fair bit of trouble deciding on names. Usually I will pick a first name that sounds approptiate for the character's race. I usually make last name to be a sort of title for the character, things like Spellslinger or Quickblade.

Blayze
2010-08-26, 07:23 AM
Take random combinations of letters. Mash them together. That's how I got Luja, Teganor, Elemi and Magran. Funnily enough, Luja means both "thief" and "of deep thought" in other languages, which is ironic as he's a thief/mage.

Nomrom
2010-08-26, 11:58 AM
I've flipped through chemistry and biology textbooks at random and found words which could be converted to cool names.

Radon--->Radienne the sorceress
Methane--->Methahn the barbarian.
etc.

I do this, but I just use the name of the molecule. Things like aniline and toluene make for decent names. Or you can go extreme and name your guy something like 2-methylhexane or benzoic acid. That tends to not work as well though and depending on who you're playing with, it can piss them off.

Mary Leathert
2010-08-26, 05:04 PM
It depends on the setting.

If it's a modern setting, it depends on whether I know the naming culture of the country. If I do, I'll just pick some name I know that I like. If don't, I'll use Internet to help me find out what names are plausible.

If it's a fantasy/sci-fi/etc. setting, I just turn some sounds and syllables in my head until the result sounds fitting and name-like.

I try to stray away from meaningful names, at least if they would relate to the character, unless they named themselves. I mean, how many people actually have names that tell about their destiny/personality?

Danne
2010-08-29, 06:37 PM
But when I write I give the characters their names. It's hard to explain, like I am only an observer in the world and I try my best to document what I see.

No no, silly, the you don't give them their names. They already have one -- you just need to find it!

Characters are funny. Sometimes they walk into the room, sit down, stick out their hand, and say, "Hi, I'm [name]!" Other times (most of the time :smallsigh:) they prefer to be mysterious. I had one character who sat in the back of my mind with this little smile on his face, and periodically I'd toss out a random name at him. It would be wrong, and he'd give me this little shake of his head and then go back to his quiet sitting. I got it right eventually.

In any event, you can steal names from all over the place. Wander through a cemetery some day and jot down the names you like. Piss your friends off by making them watch the movie credits, pausing every time you see a good one. Read baby name books (might want to get a book cover for these. You get weird looks if people see you randomly reading a baby name book... :smalleek:) Wake up from your dream and jot down the name of the guy you met there (quick, before it fades away!). Pick up names from history books, from the newspaper, from the Acknowledgments section of your favorite novel. Keep a list. Even better, keep two lists -- one for good first names and one for good surnames. Then when it's time to actually name the character, just flip through the lists and see if his or her name is there.

Edit: Also, I know this is contradicting what a lot of people have said, but try not to give your character meaningful name, at least not if it's for a piece of writing you're hoping to get published. It's clichéd. It makes publishers/editors/professional writers grimace and not want to continue reading your work. And as TPAB noted, it's not very realistic.

Marillion
2010-08-30, 12:55 AM
A friend of mine is in possession of EBON. (http://www.amazon.com/Gygaxs-Extraordinary-Gygaxian-Fantasy-Worlds/dp/1931275564) It is quite useful:smallcool:

i didn't realise it was that expensive holy cow

When that fails me, I go to babynames.com (http://www.babynames.com) and just start browsing.

Drakevarg
2010-08-30, 01:01 AM
Baby name websites, or Google Translator, depending on the culture of the individual in question. Always alliterative.

Skeppio
2010-08-30, 01:58 AM
I just make up a random qord and then play with the spelling/sound until I'm satisified. Example, a kenku necromancer I created went from Krawk to Kirawk to Kirakku and I ended up deciding on Kirakk.

Rowsen
2010-08-30, 04:35 AM
It's funny, I just make them up out of nothing. Just things that sound good. Hell, one time me and Methos were collaborating. He gave me a map. 10 minutes later there were 20 countries with unique names.

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-30, 10:17 AM
I normally tend to use names from wherever takes my fancy.

Blake the Vampire, after the poet William Blake. Had romantic connotations, but was cockney london.

St John the fiery templar - Comes from the very religious Jane Eyre character

Raz, the parkour thief - I'd just finished psychonauts. Blatant steal that time I'll admit.

Form
2010-08-30, 10:40 AM
For most of my characters I used a random name generator on the internet, but in one particular case I named a character 'Lazarus Caan'. He's a necromancer and I figured that name had the right 'evil' ring to it. In this particular case 'Caan' came from Dalek Caan and Lazarus is mostly a biblical reference (which turned out to fit rather well, since he came back from death >:D).

When assigning titles to characters (like 'Mad dog' or 'Gunner') I'd keep them rare and have an explanation ready for how the nickname was earned. A nick is less special the more characters have one and the character bearing the nick must have done something special in order to earn it.

If you want a name that has some meaning or maybe even functions as an omen of things to come I would refer to greek/roman mythology or perhaps go with biblical references. For instance, 'Lazarus' is a good name for a character who comes/came back from the dead or with regenerative properties.