PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New Race, First time, Help appreciated!

Flail_master
2010-08-24, 07:16 PM
OK here it is guys, my first time homebrewing and i need some help from the best :smalltongue: basically, i need this to add up to a +4 ECL adjustment, through RHD and LA in any combination

if any of my players are reading this STOP READING NOW AND DO NOT UNCOVER THE SPOILER BELOW!

The idea is a fallen angel of a long forgotten God who no longer cares for the material realm, and has all but drifted from the memories of almost all races in our realm (our own mapped out one) only a small sect of Drow now still worship, or even KNOW about him, 12-20 of them, he is extremely strict and has many orders of angels who rank higher or lower and the such.
This particular angel was of the highest order, the guy who sits next to his god in a car riding shotgun everytime kind of highest order, this guy portrayed his gods beauty and countenance in all its glory and was his gods voice as well as the best warriors.
he fell because there was a sort of war between this god and another long lost forgotten God, and during this battle, rather than immediately taking his Gods side and fighting for him, he didn't betray him or anything, he just didn't pick a side, he didn't see any good reason as to why his God was right or justified, but he didn't see his enemy with anything that would make him betray his God, so he simply stayed out of it.
At the end of the war his God decided what he had done was worse than betrayal and cursed him to wander the all but forgotten and uncared for material realm s a grotesque twisted horror of his original countenance, stripping him of his appearance which was sculpted in his Gods similarity, and making it so all the other angels would know who he is and what would happen at the matter of disobedience
He genuinely believes however that he was right, and now spites his god for making him this way by becoming more powerful and destroying anything related to him, knowing he's watching, he whole heartedly accepts how he looks now, since he sincerely believes he was right
that was long :smalltongue:

and his looks you ask?
Basically a mixture of a balrog and a minotaur

OK now you have the premise, and the idea was many benefits, balanced by many drawbacks, cursed in many ways but still a formidable creature, still very powerful, even when diminished and cursed
a lot of the abilities have links to the god punishing him in specific ways like, he was given darkvision so he may forever look for his god in the dark but if he was ever to find him again he would only be blinded (light sensitivity)

he will also be gaining stuff like limbs and wings as he levels, but with drawbacks such as the manifestation of these would cause damage, its a very specific, but nicely fluffed race and i need to see whether or not what i have so far justifies or does not justify the LA/RHD i need for it

any alterations or suggestions are welcome and an idea of how abilities determine LA and RHD is appreciated

OK FINALLY, heres what i have so far

-Monstrous Humanoid
-Medium size
-Natural armour 4
-Claw attacks 1d4, gore 1d6, Decide which is Primary
-30ft Move speed
-D8 hit dice
-STR: +4 CON+6 DEX: -4 CHA: -8
-Wisdom penalty?
-Special quality Frightful presence? DC 10+4+STR bonus
-Special quality, use strength bonus on certain charisma based checks (FP and Intimidate)
-+2 intimidate
-Dark vision 120ft
-Light sensitivity, 1d4 rounds dazed

much thanks
Flail_maser :smallbiggrin:

Latronis
2010-08-24, 07:39 PM
ok basically LA is a terrible terrible thing for players, and racial hit dice are barely any better.

However outsider hitdice are actually pretty nice, even better than some base classes in some cases. (besides the whole delayed class ability progression thing)

So if it's going to be available to play and working out ECL would imply so, Favor RHD over LA.

Now outsider HD automatically comes a d8, 8+int skills, simple and martial prof, darkvision 60' all good saves BAB = HD (like a fighter) no need to eat or sleep and the whole can't be raised thing.

Most important before looking at adjustments and speed and what not is the size. Now both the Minotaur and Balor (basically balrog) are large and you probably don't want to be giving out anything much bigger anyway.

Flail_master
2010-08-24, 07:49 PM
ok basically LA is a terrible terrible thing for players, and racial hit dice are barely any better.

However outsider hitdice are actually pretty nice, even better than some base classes in some cases. (besides the whole delayed class ability progression thing)

So if it's going to be available to play and working out ECL would imply so, Favor RHD over LA.

Now outsider HD automatically comes a d8, 8+int skills, simple and martial prof, darkvision 60' all good saves BAB = HD (like a fighter) no need to eat or sleep and the whole can't be raised thing.

Most important before looking at adjustments and speed and what not is the size. Now both the Minotaur and Balor (basically balrog) are large and you probably don't want to be giving out anything much bigger anyway.

ah ok fair enough thanks :D
but the thing is, he's a monstrous humanoid, he was given a corporeal body and the ability to die and eat and be fatigued and the such, and id like to avoid large but large is acceptable if the RHD and LA need to be balanced to +4 overall

this is somewhat difficult for me but i have the features i want, i need to know what kind of overall Char adjustment this justifies and warrants and what could be changed to make it +4

also this is a one of a kind creature, i just need to homebrew it as a race for convenience and reuse

Latronis
2010-08-24, 08:36 PM
ok well if he is one of a kinda do you really need to have a THIS THING AS PLAYABLE RACE section? Would not just a simple CR5 (appropiate enounter for ECL+4 characters) stat block suffice?