PDA

View Full Version : Reason IC [Dresden Files/Fate]

ninja_penguin
2010-08-24, 07:44 PM
Date: August 28, 2010
Time: 3:48 PM

For Tami and Darrin:

Things are rather slow today at Gaia’s Used & New. It’s a bit to be expected, being a Saturday before the University of Reason has returned to session, and not during one of the peak hours of the day for café traffic. The floorplan of the store is rather wide and spread out, with bookshelves angling in seemingly odd directions, creating a series of meandering walkways for anybody moving through the store. Various analogue clocks of all sorts of make and model adorn the tops of the shelves, their consistent but low ticking giving the equivalent of background chatter to the book level. The upper half-floor consists of the seating and café section of the store, and opens out into a second floor balcony that overlooks the closest community garden plots. Cecelia Paulette Faulkner is currently upstairs, dealing with an current overflow of vegetables that have been donated to the store by the local gardeners.

For Jonathan and Gerard:

The campus grounds at the University of Reason are also mostly empty as well. Classes don’t start session until next week, but most of the professors, their assistants, and students who live in the dorms have shown up and are milling about. The buildings of the University are in Brutalist style, with the general pattern of brick or concrete structure and a grid of windows. Sidewalks transition between each building, occasionally spiraling into a roundabout with a hill or benches to sit on. Underground tunnels connect most of the major academic buildings as well.

Aagon
2010-08-24, 10:06 PM
Tami

Tami used the lull in customers to sit at the register and flip through a book on one of her favorite subjects - faeries. She didn't know why but something fascinated her about the strange creatures. Every time a new book came through the store on the subject, Tami tried to read through it before someone bought it. This particular book discussed the wildfae. Apparently some ambitious person had tried to apply anthropological techniques to study them for weeks at a time - or that was the idea at least. Only her notes were found later, but they did contain some fascinating information. Tami continued idly flipping through the pages and glancing at the pictures within.

sdeligar
2010-08-25, 02:49 AM
Darrin

For once Darrin was wandering the shelves of books more out of curiosity and a bit of boredom rather than the sense of urgency that usually brought him here. Most of the time he was just pulling off the occasional book, flipping a few pages, and putting it back. Some he might pick up again at a later date but for now only a couple make the trip up to the counter.

"Hello Tami." He glances at the title of the book she is reading and scowls slightly absently tugging at the sleeves of his jacket trying fruitlessly to get them to cover the scare on his wrist. "Another book on the Fey? You really should be careful about those. People never seem to understand just how dangerous they are."

bue52
2010-08-25, 10:56 AM
Joanthan holds a small package very tightly with his grip. Although he has probably done this a hundred times, he still this irrational fear of being caught with a supernatural item. What if he drops it and reveal it to the people that are walking down the hallway, what if someone thought he was smuggling pot into school. That would only make his life more difficult.......

After taking a few steps, Jonathan reached his destination, Gerard's private office. The lecturer was a nice enough person, though he could be overbearing, but both of them were by definition of the high council, sorcerers, so it may be a good thing that they stick together, which means...... Jonathan has to do all the little errands that the senior magic user request, both because he is the professor, and because Jonathan just can't say no.

goblinpaladin
2010-08-25, 11:31 AM
Gerard Wright

Gerard preferred to hand write his articles, being somewhat old fashioned- and hardware had an irritating tendency to fizzle when he was in a bad mood. It was for this reason that the diabolist/lecturer was leaning back in his office chair, scribbling at his notepad. It was a week before classes were due to begin, and still there was much to be done. He had a headache, needed a cup of tea, and had three different research projects on the go. Of course, two of them could hardly be undertaken here on the university campus, while the other-- there was someone outside.

He paused in his work, and looked up at the door, an ink-marred finger resting against his spectacles. "Enter."

Aagon
2010-08-25, 02:24 PM
Tami

Tami laughed lightly as she rang up the cost of the books. "What better reason to read up on something than that it might be dangerous. Knowledge is power as they say."

sdeligar
2010-08-26, 11:59 AM
Darrin

He snorts lightly and shakes his head. "Yea, but these books never seem to explain just how dangerous the Fey are. Or why." Pulling his wallet out he starts counting out cash for the books. He didn't believe in credit cards things like that made it to easy for people to track you down. That and it was hard to convince the credit companies you really didn't actually have a last name. Some people are so paranoid.

"And I don't even want to think of how many people are bound to one Fey or another because they read one of those stupid books and ended up making a deal because they thought it was all a dream or their friends were pulling a prank on them."

Aagon
2010-08-26, 04:04 PM
Tami
Tami shrugged. "People are a lot more likely to run into corrupt mortgage brokers or scam artists than the fae and, in some ways, they can do just as much damage." Tami tore off the receipt and handed it to Darrin. "Would you like a bag?"

ninja_penguin
2010-08-26, 06:21 PM
About as soon as Tami finishes up ringing up Darrin's books, there's the sound of glassware shattering and a heavy thump to the floor. Both Tami and Darrin can hear a muffled shriek that is cut off quickly by the sound of stern commands from Ms. Faulkner. In fact, a split moment later her head and upper body appears as she leans over the railing to get a good view of Tami's counter.

"Tami dear, could you come up and help for a moment? Beth's gone squeamish on me again."

OOC:

Tami common sense knowledge: The shriek you heard was beth, a high schooler who works at the bookstore in the cafe section part-time

Aagon
2010-08-26, 07:24 PM
Tami
Tami rolled her eyes. "Of course, Ms. Faulkner I'll be right up." She looked at Darrin and said "Sorry to cut this off, but I have to take care of this." She added, whispering "Beth is always squeamish about something."

"Enjoy the books." Tami walked away to find Beth.

bue52
2010-08-27, 10:38 AM
"Hey Prof!" Jonathan said with a smile as he open the door, "I got the fairy dust; ghoul blood and bloody mary you wanted" dropping into a whisper as he recited the list of things he had to buy. "Oh and also got a refill for your bottle of mayonnaise, does that earn me any extra credit?"

goblinpaladin
2010-08-27, 12:14 PM
Gerard smiled and stood up as Jonathan entered. "Ah, good. I was in need of a drink." He gestured for the younger man to have a seat, as he took the packages back to the desk. "And please, Jonathan, call me Gerard. I am certainly no professor, whatever title Americans give to any teacher."

sdeligar
2010-08-27, 12:59 PM
"Yea, I guess they are both victims of ignorance..." As his comment is cut short by the shriek upstairs his hand goes back the cloth wrapped spear strapped on his back. However when Ms. Faulkner appears over the railing he freezes and he flushes in embarrassment as he realized what he had been about to do.

Taking a couple steps back from the counter he looks up to Ms Faulker "You alright? Need a hand or anything?"

ninja_penguin
2010-08-27, 01:39 PM
"Well, another pair of hands wouldn't hurt." Cecillia responded before disappearing back out of view.

When either Tami or Darrin gets upstairs, the scene is not as bad as it might have sounded from below. A man is sprawled unconscious on the floor, blood streaming from his nose. He's wearing a medical eyepatch over one of his eyes, and a pair of broken spectacles are on the floor nearby. The empty table is heavily disturbed with a spot of blood on it as well. Back over by the cafe counter, Beth is standing behind the counter looking pale and a little shaken. There's a pair of broken glasses at her feet. Cecillia is hovering in between both scenes, as though she's not sure about which person needs the immediate attention.

"He was just walking up to the counter" "Cecillia says with a wave of his head. "Then he just kinda slumped and fell on over. Bonked his nose on the table there. Looks like he broke his glasses, too." She looks up at Tami. "I think we should get him outside into some fresh air."

Aagon
2010-08-27, 06:02 PM
Tami

Tami drew up short when she saw the man and inhaled sharply. Certainly wasn't expecting that. She shook her head to clear it.

"Um, ok sure." She took a breath. "Darrin can you help me, please? And Beth, could you bring us a wet towel and the first aid kit?" When Beth didn't seem to hear her, Tami called sharply, "Beth! Wet towel, first aid kit ok?"

Tami moved towards the man and grabbed him. She looked up at Darrin. "Ready?"

sdeligar
2010-08-27, 07:38 PM
Following behind Tami he almost runs right over her when she stops short. Just managing to move around her he looks around the room before kneeling over the man. "Wow, he is going to feel like hell when he wakes up."

Standing he grabs the mans glasses then takes hold of the man as Tami does lifting him up easily. "Yea, a little fresh air should do him some good. That and he might not be to happy when he wakes up."

bue52
2010-08-28, 02:27 AM
"Alright then Gerard." Jonathan says with an emphasis on the last word, though knowing himself, he'd probably call him Prof again the next time they meet. He then moves to one of Gerard's seats, making himself comfortable before taking out his old CD player out. He maintains a distance between himself and Gerard for fear of any glitches.

ninja_penguin
2010-08-28, 08:34 PM
Gaia’s New and Used Books

Tami's sharp order snaps Beth out of her distraction and she disappears behind the employee area to fulfill Tami's request. Tami and Darrin are able to easily carry the man out to the balcony, and lay him down on one of the reclining lawn chairs available for customers.

Darrin alertness auto-pass

As you take a glance at the glasses you pick up, you notice one of the lenses wasn’t broken in the man’s fall. Where one of the lenses would be you can see shards of broken glass like you’d expect. The other has rounded, smooth edges to the pieces of glass still in the frames, like if a quarter-size hole had previously been melted through the glass

University of Reason

Before Gerard can get halfway through his drink, or Jonathan through a track and a half without skipping the CD, there’s a rap at the door.

“Gerard, do you have a moment?” asks a voice through the door. You’d both recognize the voice as belonging to Sean Shepherd, the head of the history department at the university.

Aagon
2010-08-28, 10:18 PM
Tami

Tami helped settle the man down onto the lawn chair and tilted his head back to help stop the bleeding. When Beth brought out the cloth and first aid kit, she quickly took the cloth and started cleaning away the blood. "Thanks Beth. Could you grab my jacket for a pillow? It's the green one on the employee coat rack."

goblinpaladin
2010-08-28, 11:10 PM
University of Reason

Gerard stood up, stepping over to the door. "Certainly, Sean. Just having a chat with Jonathan, but it's nothing serious. Come in." The diabolist's long-held paranoia didn't prevent him from tapping his glasses idly, but he refrained from actually casting any spells.

"Don't mind the chaos- I'm a bit stuck on this paper..."

sdeligar
2010-08-29, 01:34 AM
Darrin

Leaving Tami to clean the man up he moves out of the way and pulls the mans glasses out of his pocket. Looking them over closely he shakes his head in amazement. "Hey Tami. Take a look at this. There is something weird about this guys glasses. Looks like something burned clean through one of the lenses."

Frowning as he runs the tip of one finger across the melted lens he tries to think of anything that could cut or melt through something like that.

Lore check 4d3-3

sdeligar
2010-08-29, 01:37 AM
((Crap. Screwed the roll up so here is round 2.))

Lore Check [roll0]

bue52
2010-08-29, 04:51 AM
As Gerard invites Sean in, Jonathan sits up a little straighter. It was not everyday that you get to see a private-ish discussion between professors. Maybe he can get a little gossip from them.

Aagon
2010-08-29, 04:55 PM
Tami

Tami glances at the glasses briefly. "Weird. Any idea what to make of it?" She drops her voice slightly. Even though the bookstore was neutral territory, it was not uncommon for random people to walk in and the injured man had attracted some attention from the few customers. "Magic maybe?"

Lore check [roll0] (not that I'm going to beat Darrin)

ninja_penguin
2010-08-29, 07:28 PM
Gaia's New and Used books

Looking at the glasses both Tami and Darrin can tell that if the glasses held any particular powers they're gone now. When the glasses catch the light just right you can see what appears to be some etching on the lens, but you can't make out what it might have said. You can also tell that the glasses are definitely of an older make, somebody who was more versed in antiques could probably pin down better details.

A minute or two after Tami has cleaned off the blood from the man's face, his eye flutters open. He groans, touches his nose, and tries to look around. The expression on his face is one that is utterly dazed.

University of Reason

"It's not a problem" Dr. Shepard says, waving a hand in dismissal of Gerard's statement.

Compel: Jonathan, YES MAN

"Could you excuse us for a moment, Jonathan?" he says, with an expectant glance toward the door.

Aagon
2010-08-29, 09:51 PM
Tami

Tami watched the man waking up and put a gently restraining hand on his shoulder. "Careful, uh, sir." Damn should have looked for a wallet. "You just passed out a moment ago and hurt your nose. I'm Tami, I work here at the book store. Do you know what happened?"

goblinpaladin
2010-08-29, 11:00 PM
Gerard- Time-split post for if Jonathan leaves

Adjusting his glasses, Gerard offered his department head a seat as he stepped around piles of research to his desk. "What can I do for you, Sean?"

sdeligar
2010-08-30, 03:47 AM
Darrin

His eye brows furrow as he considers what kind of purpose etchings on something like that could possible serve. Shaking his head he decides to research it further later.

As Tami returns to the man and speaks with him Darrin pulls a piece of paper from his jacket and quickly jots down a description of the glasses and the etchings including a small rough drawing of both. Stuff the paper into a pocket he turns back to them both and walks over to the chair.

"She's right you had a nasty fall. Try to relax you might a concussion or something considering how hard you hit. If you don't mind, tell us what happened as best you can remember." As he speaks he stands over the chair watching the man closely for anything strange. At the same time he concentrates his will on the part of him that always responds when something supernatural is around.

Another lore check to work with Darrin's Supernatural Sense to check for anything strange about the man or in the general area. [roll0]

bue52
2010-08-30, 06:25 AM
Jonathan- The Yes Man

"Aright then," Jonathan said before he could stop himself, he strides out of the room, but places himself beside the door so as to try and eavesdrop the situation, hopefully, he won't look like an idiot if he does so.

ninja_penguin
2010-08-31, 02:40 PM

"My name is Alden Logan...I think" The man says, his eye dazedly flicking back and forth between Darrin and Tami. "The last thing I remember? Um..." He eye looks left for a moment, then suddenly widens as Alden curses. "Oh no, what time is it?"

Darrin lore result:

You're suddenly struck with the idea that it'd be a very good idea to leave that eyepatch alone.

University of Reason

Despite asking for Jonathan to leave the room, Dr. Shepard's voice soon raises loud enough as he's talking that Jonathan wouldn't even need to have his ear pressed to the door. "Part of the Hobbins collection has gone missing!" he says, his voice starting at a normal level but rising to a frantic pitch with accompanying arm gestures. "I called in to check on one of the packages, but they said it had already been delivered! We're screwed if we can't find this. Sure, they're insured, but this is going to ruin or reputation! Do you have ANY idea how long it took this university to get anything significant to display in the first place?"

Gerard common sense auto-knowledge: The Hobbins collection is a collection of anthropological items from the 1880s, including a large portion of silverware, everyday living items of the time, furniture, books, and the like.

Aagon
2010-08-31, 10:24 PM
Tami

Startled, Tami pulled out her phone. "It's 4 o'clock." She glanced back inside. "The paramedics should be on their way. Do you need to call someone, let them know you'll be late?"

goblinpaladin
2010-08-31, 11:30 PM
Gerard adjusted his glasses and frowns. "Too long." He glanced at the papers on his desk, then back up to Sean. "When did they say they'd delivered it? Maybe we can have a small chat with the delivery company's man for that day, trace what's happened."

sdeligar
2010-09-01, 01:54 AM
Taking a couple steps back from the man he folds his arms watching them both. He had long learned to trust his instincts and they said that something was very wrong with this guy and he was pretty sure the glass were part of it.

For now he just watches the two hoping to notice anything else unusual about the man and his actions trusting his instincts and experience to point out anything important. Later he would start tracking down information.

ninja_penguin
2010-09-01, 09:22 PM

"What?" The man says, sounding surprised. "Now way, I can't be here now." He tries to push up out of the chair but woozily falls onto the floor. "It can't happen here."

University of Reason

"Oh, this gets even better." Dr. Shepard said. "He's been missing for about two days now. The delivery company said that it was delivered about two days ago. We found everything else, and just assumed that somebody had put a package in the wrong mailbox, and we'd find it a day or two later in a different department."

Dr. Shepard continued his pacing in the confined space of Gerard's office. "I haven't even officially called this in yet because I didn't want to alarm the regents. They'll have my tenure for this, I just know it."

goblinpaladin
2010-09-01, 09:37 PM
Gerard looked up at his friend, raising both eyebrows. "Well. That is an awful coincidence." He glanced at the door, then shook his head. "They can't have your tenure for this, old bean- it's not your fault! You aren't responsible for packages going astray, for God's sake!"

He slid his glasses off his face and began polishing them. "I tell you what, though- rather than you pacing a hole in my carpet and giving yourself heart palpitations, why don't you let me look into it?" Glasses polished, he hooked them back over his ears and smiled. "I have writer's block anyway, this could clear my head."

sdeligar
2010-09-03, 01:40 PM
Darrin

Leaning over he puts a hand on the mans arm and helps him to slowly stand. "Careful. Keep going like that and you just might end up in even worse shape. I'm sure whatever is it that's so urgent can wait for a few minutes."

ninja_penguin
2010-09-03, 09:12 PM

"No, nonononono." Alden says, sounding desperate. "You don't get it, it won't even matter in a few minutes."

Compel Tami: STRANGE THINGS HAPPEN AROUND ME

All of the clocks in the entire bookstore start chiming 4' O clock. Funny, half of those clocks aren't even wound

University of Reason

"Oh, you could do that? That would be wonderful, Gerard." Dr. Shepard said. "I'll be of talking to Janine, I need to see if we need to call that detestable Sargent in here anyway. Good afternoon."

Dr. Shepard leaves the office, and repeats 'Good Afternoon' to Jonathan on his way past.

Aagon
2010-09-03, 10:09 PM
Tami

Tami feels a chill go down her spine and looks around cautiously, finding herself wishing that she had not left her cylindrical container behind her desk. Then she looks directly at Alden, catching his eye. "What happens next?"

goblinpaladin
2010-09-04, 04:21 AM
Reason University

"Wait," Gerard added before the professor could leave, "which artifact got waylaid? That might help."

ninja_penguin
2010-09-05, 11:28 AM

"It-it-" Alden's attempt at explanation is cut off as he gives an ear-wrenching scream, holding the sides of his head as wisps of smoke curl out from underneath his eyepatch. With a sudden lurch the boards of the balcony seem to warp and bend and a three foot hole in the air rips open beneath Alden, pulling him into it. The hole seems to be closing up immediately, but everything nearby is being pulled toward the opening like water spiraling down a sink drain.

OOC: Athletics roll of Good (+3) required to maintain your footing/position. You can jump in if that's your thing, though.

University of Reason

"Sure" Dr. Shepard says on his way out. "Swing by our department, we can get you the manifest, we're missing a full box of things."

OOC: We're nearing the end of the scene for Jonathan and Gerard, if you guys have anything else you'd like to do/ask, that's fine. Otherwise we can scene-skip up to after you two have gathered information/decided on what you're doing, etc.

goblinpaladin
2010-09-05, 11:56 PM
Reason U

Gerard nodded. "I'll do that." The scholar stepped outside after him, closing the office door. He nodded to Jonathan, and gestured for the younger man to follow him.

"So. How much of that did you hear?" He smiled.

bue52
2010-09-05, 11:59 PM
"Pretty much everything. Though all I can tell is that something is missing. From what I can infer its probably something old, other than that, seems like all we need to do is play detective and find everything."Jonathan says cooly.

sdeligar
2010-09-06, 01:13 PM
Darrin

A curse nearly slips from between his lips as the vortex opens mid air and pulls the man into it. Watching in shock and dismay he hesitates for a moment trying to decide what to do next. On one hand he should stay and make sure that nobody else got caught up in this, but at the same time wasn't it his responsibility to try and save that man and stop whatever was happening?

[roll0]

Aagon
2010-09-06, 06:18 PM
Tami

As the vortex begins opening, Tami finds herself scrambling backwards without even consciously thinking about it as if some part of her is telling her to avoid the vortex even before she decides whether to try to help Alden. Tami decides to go with it and try to keep herself from danger and help Alden later. She struggles to find her balance against the forces pulling her into the vortex.

[roll0]

ninja_penguin
2010-09-07, 05:51 PM

As the vortex continue to suck air, Darrin manages to find a footing and keep it. Tami scrambles backward, but is unable to find a solid footing and is dragged into the vortex and out of sight.

Compel Darrin: OVERPROTECTIVE

Jump on in there after her

Wherever Gerard and Jonathan want to start the scene

From your inquiries, Gerard and Jonathan have managed to find out the following:

The manifest:
Two pairs of period hats
A 16 set silverware set, with a knife, two forks, and a spoon for each setting
2 books of contemporary literature
A pair of spectacles
A compass and spyglass for usage on a naval vessel.
A diary, written by a Malik Benson

The delivery driver: Tim Hayden, a young adult who was working for the UPS delivery service for the shipment that was supposed to be delivered to the university. He was fired for failing to show up to work repeatedly with his last infraction being the first of the days since the delivery. The company has just filed a police report after they have been informed that the delivery was not delivered to the station.

I'll take a lore and scholarship roll from both of you. If you'd like to add anything else, let me know what you're doing before you roll

sdeligar
2010-09-07, 09:55 PM
Darrin

Barely keeping his own footing he doesn't notice Tami going in until she out of reach. On stopping long enough to pull the spear off his back and uncover it he jumps into the vortex the spear ready to defend himself against anything that might be waiting on the other side.

ninja_penguin
2010-09-08, 08:58 PM
Tami and Darrin, lost in Time and Space

Tami and Darrin both fall through space toward an amber light for short unnerving span of seconds, before hitting something soft and elastic, similar to hitting a waterbed mattress or an inflatable carnival ride. It's give launches both of them back into the air to land again on the same surface, leading to a bumping, tumbling slide down and depositing the pair in an ungraceful heap at the bottom. Tami lands first, and Darrin lands a few seconds after.

Gerard and Jonathan

OOC: For clarification, I'm adding a general line of thought for what you'd know from Gerard (scholarship) and Jonathan (Lore) for each item.

Two pairs of period hats (Nothing special here!) (I concur)

A 16 set silverware set, with a knife, two forks, and a spoon for each setting (Nothing supernatural about these, I think) (Probably not, but they would have value as an antique)

2 books of contemporary literature (I doubt these are anything, compared to that diary) (I'd have to see the titles to know if there's anything important here)

A pair of spectacles (Did these belong to Malik? Huge flag here!) ((Something like this could be easily smuggled, as well)

A compass and spyglass for usage on a naval vessel. (Funny feeling about them, but I'd have to see them) (These are out of place, naval equipment wouldn't fit with the general theme of the display)

A diary, written by a Malik Benson (Holy crap! Malik Benson!) (If this was a supernatural theft, it'll be hard to find. If the thieves were mortal, it'll be hard to sell. I heard half the pages are torn out)

Extra bits about Malik Benson: He was a geologist and astrologist who was fairly prominent and famous among the mortal and supernatural communities. He was a amateur geomancer, and some believe he inspired a young Howard Lovecraft with some of his adventure stories. He's lesser known among the mortal world after he developed dementia in his 40s, and died at a sanitarium at the age of 50.

Aagon
2010-09-08, 11:50 PM
Tami

Once Tami falls into the vortex, the pressure to act eases and Tami finds herself screaming as she falls through the air. When she hits something without killing herself, she abruptly stops screaming, mostly in confusion. The strange light, the weird...surface, for lack of a better term...it was all too much. She tries to grab onto something to slow her bouncy trip down, but cannot find anything.

When she reaches the bottom and hears Darrin coming behind her, she instinctively feels for a weapon, but has nothing. I have got to start carrying a dagger. She rolls away from the sound, but when she realizes it's Darrin she stops moving. She stands, straightening her clothes and looking around.

"Well. What's a guy like you doing in a place like this? Whatever this place is."

sdeligar
2010-09-09, 01:02 PM
"Oh, you know me. Just had to find what was on the other side of the rabbit hole." Quickly rolling to his feet, the spear in hand, he looks around the area watching closely for any dangers or clues to where they are.

ninja_penguin
2010-09-11, 10:10 PM
Darrin & Tami

Now that you have a chance to look around after your landing, you're able to take a look at exactly what you landed on. On both sides of you, suspended in..a bubble... for lack of a better term is a section of a town from quite some time ago. The entire scene that you can see is amber colored, and the bubble itself radiates enough of the same amber lighting to see by. A horse drawn cart approaches the border toward both of you, it's driver oblivious to the barrier or the two of you. As the cart reaches the barrier, the image seems to warp and distort, and you see the cart receding in the bubble behind you. And now that you look at the walkway, it seems like it's built out of a multitude of tiny white threads, all braided and weaved into each other to form the solid surface that the two of you are walking on.

Gerard and Jonathan

OOC: Either of you need any more info?

sdeligar
2010-09-12, 12:37 PM
Looking around the area his usual serious face deepens into a worried scowl. "I think I've read about area like this. I kinda hope I'm wrong though." His spear still held firmly in hand he moves a little closer to the edge of the bubble looking it over closely.

Lore check to see if he knows where we are and what happened: [roll0]

Aagon
2010-09-13, 12:49 AM
Tami

"Well...this is bizarre. I don't see Alden." Tami squats down and runs her hands over the floor, studying it before moving over to stand by Darrin. "Any chance you have a spare weapon on you?" Not that you really need one when you have a holy spear.

Lore check [roll0]

bue52
2010-09-13, 09:19 AM
"Well then, let's begin prof." Jonathan says after analysing the information, "I'll go to the delivery dude's HQ to gather more detail, hopefully the guy may simply be having some normal non-supernatural reason for having lost the items, maybe his friends can give us a few clues."

ninja_penguin
2010-09-14, 05:00 PM
In the Never-Never

Darrin:

You can tell that you're in the never-never. You're not in one of the particularly bad places you could end up in for a random entry, but you have no idea where you are at right now.

Tami:

You're in the never-never. Something seems to really irritate you about being here. From what you'd always read about it, you'd expect the place to be much more wild and chaotic. You don't know what or where exactly you are, but this place seems far more stagnant and unchanging than you feel is normal. Also, you recognize that the hole you fell through as a rather crude and unrefined portal between the mortal realms and the nevernever.

As you study the surrounding area, you hear a low sobbing coming from around the bend, accompanied by a buzzing, whispering voice that you can't fully make out from here.

And for the record, a quick scene sketch for you:

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r238/shallorwain/scene1.png

sdeligar
2010-09-14, 09:13 PM
"Great we've been thrown into the Never-never. I really wish I did have another weapon you could use, we need to get out of here fast."

Turn to face the sobbing noises he walks forward a little then stops and turns to Tami. "Sounds like we aren't alone. If we are lucky that's our friend from the bookstore and we can all leave here together. Try to stick close."

Aagon
2010-09-15, 01:14 AM
Tami

A thrill of excitement, of homecoming runs up her spine just as Tami realizes that they are in the Never-Never. Weird, Tami thinks of her reaction and tries to shake it off. It is unsettling. But a moment later Tami realizes that she is frowning. Something is wrong - even for the Never-Never. When Darrin speaks, Tami does not respond for and instead stares around intently. After a moment she hisses in frustration, but moves over to Darrin.

"I bet you're happy I was reading up on the Fae now" she says absently, still frowning and staring around intently.

ninja_penguin
2010-09-16, 07:46 PM
In the never never

As you approach the sounds the twisted, threaded path bends to the left. Around the corner, the amber lighting illuminates a bizarre scene.

Alden sits sprawled on the ground, his hands and feet bound by wrappings of the same material that make up the pathway.

Directly above him you see a cloaked figure that you are able to immediate identify as the source of the voice you heard. The figure is loomingly large, taller than Tami and Darrin even as it is hunched over. A large plain white ovoid mask covers its face, leaving two circular holes for eyes, and another small hole for its mouth. In its three fingered left hand it holds a haphazard bundle of white threads. Some strands disappear down into the sleeves of its cloak, but most are attached to its right hand. Its right hand has eight hook-like fingers that spin looping threads around Alden's face with all the frenzied meticulousness of a spider.

"We told it not to come again!" The figure says, hissing above Alden's terrified whimpers. "Bringing those who wear their masks most unkindly!"

"And I said never again bring that which sees most unseemingly!" Its voice raises sharply at the end of it's last statement, eliciting a raised whimper from Alden.

The hooded figure draws up to its full height, towering about nine feet tall, carrying Alden up into the air as it stands. A long, pink tube-like extension darts out of the mouth hole in its mast, its tip hovering near Alden's face. The tip splits open to reveal rows of lamprey-like teeth as it speaks. "It is not listening, is it? Is it!" It says, giving Alden a shake.

UPS Delivery Depot

A quick address look up, a phone call, and a bike ride later, and Jonathan is able to get to the UPS delivery center. The center itself consists of a small package warehouse, a small office building, and a larger parking lot with about a dozen parked trucks in it.

A man stands outside the office building, sitting on its steps. "Hey, you the guy who called from the R-U?"

Gerard's...office?

With calm practiced motions you fish out your pocketwatch, tapping the hidden buttons that reveal a hidden pair of black iron hands on the watch face. Spinning them to 7:06, you infuse the pocketwatch with a tiny portion of your will, and smoke rises and curls from the watch face, revealing a tiny imp sitting on the top of the watch with a rather displeased look on his face.

"Oh, let me guess. More questions. There's a surprise."

goblinpaladin
2010-09-16, 11:46 PM
"Afternoon," Gerard said genially. "Care for a cup of tea? And a conversation about Malik Benson, if you don't mind."

bue52
2010-09-17, 01:28 AM
"Yeah, pretty much, may I know your name? I'm Jonathan by the way." says the young hydromancer, who reaches his hand out for a handshake.

sdeligar
2010-09-17, 01:50 PM
Darrin

"Only if your book can tell us what the heck that thing this." Darrin had seen more than a few strange things since meeting Yuan Li but this one definitely had a whole new level of creepy to it.

Bracing himself he takes a few steps closer to the creature and yells out "In the name of the Lord Almighty I command you to release him!"

ninja_penguin
2010-09-17, 11:20 PM
In the never-never

As Darrin steps forward the creature moves backward, its cloak sliding backward smoothly as you hear numerous insectile tics on the pathway. "More unwanted ones!" it hisses before it's tongue snaps back inside of its mask.

It pauses for a moment, it's mask inclining sideways for a moment, and it's upper body weaves back and forth like a snake's while it looks at Tami and Darrin. "Ahhhhh. Hmm." A series grinding, clicking noises like a bizarre titter emits from the mask.

"This one wears its master's mask most brazenly. And this one wears its mask most slyly." Its attention focuses on Darrin again, dismissing his proclamation with a lazy wave of its eight-fingered hand. "Your master has no business in this place, so finished is our business as well. May you find your way most promptly." Still carrying Alden, the creature's form shifts as it turns to leave, the bottom of its cloak twisting first and traveling upward as its form turns away in a rolling series of tics. "This one has its business to attend most promptly."

Gerard

"Hmm, now that's a name I haven't been asked about for a while." The imp says, pondering for a moment. "A rather clever man, although his methods were a bit sinister."

Jonathan

"Drew Carter" the man says, flicking a nametag bearing DREW on it before extending his hand outward. "I'd like to do whatever I can to help out, we've never had a problem like this, and I hope the University's going to stick with us."

bue52
2010-09-23, 10:27 PM
"Oh, the university is more than cooperative" Jonathan says, " we will do everything in our power to help. But in order to do so, I'll need you to be as open as you can be, and explain everything in as much detail as possible. Any lead, regardless of how fantastical a lead, is still a lead, and I'd like to go through all the possibilities."

Aagon
2010-09-25, 07:18 PM
Tami senses that a fight is quickly brewing and decided to step in before things got out of hand. "And why do you wear your mask?"

goblinpaladin
2010-09-25, 07:47 PM
Gerard

Gerard shook the pocket watch irritably. "And?"

ninja_penguin
2010-09-25, 11:21 PM
In the never-never

"Why, the sames reasons that you both wear yours." The creature says, it's head bobbing in a birdlike fashion, as if it was agreeing with itself that it was making perfect sense. "This one just wears it most plainly." it says turning to leave again.

Jonathan

"Sure, come on in." Drew says, looking relieved and pulling open the door to the office, holding it and indicating that Jonathan should go on ahead of him. "This guy didn't have a previous record, I know that for sure. I mean, we actually do do background checks on these guys, you know"

Gerard

The imp on the pocketwatch's face sputtered, cursed and fumbled about as Gerard shook the watch, colliding with the invisible wall of the watchface's border repeatedly before finally regaining its balance. "Easy boss, it's just, ugh. Geometry, you know? Malik was all about the patterns and shapes and everything. Stuff man wasn't really meant to think about too hard, if you know what I mean. He could twist a bunch of random ideas and hammer out the links between them. You might know that he was a big name geologist at the time, but he also did a lot of exorcisms, banishing, and the like on the side. Frontier wizardry, there."

Aagon
2010-09-25, 11:49 PM
Tami
Great, Tami thinks. That helped a lot. Stall some more.

"And what about him?" Tami asked, gesturing towards Alden. "How does he wear his mask?"

goblinpaladin
2010-09-25, 11:51 PM
Gerard

"Right. So what's supposed to be in his journal?" Gerard pulled at his tidy little beard. "He didn't violate that last, and final Law, did he?"

ninja_penguin
2010-09-26, 12:38 AM
In the never-never

"This one's mask is most unseemly." The creature hissed, the rate of insectile tics increasing as it starts to move away. "Doll's eyes and a piercing gaze. Peeking and creeping at things it should not, and paving the way for others who wear their masks most rudely. It saw something to steal and now its sight is stolen." The creature's head bobs again.

Gerard

"Hah, not if anybody still knows about him." The imp said, chuckling. "I'm quite sure that your compatriots would have done a much better job disappearing him if he'd done that." He spreads his hands in a benevolent gesture. "I mean, come on, some of use might come to some disagreements about, uh, let's say we might have some misunderstandings with the management, but we're really fond of the place overall.

"Now, you found a journal, that's pretty interesting. Now, what you'll read and what you'll find in that journal will be two very different things, I suppose. He'll definitely have something hidden inside of it. Fan of ciphers, invisible ink, all of that."

goblinpaladin
2010-09-26, 12:42 AM
Gerard

"Ah-uh: I didn't find a journal, little friend, but someone did. Invisible ink, you say? The sort that special glasses could peer at, or the lemon ink sort?"

sdeligar
2010-09-26, 01:16 PM
Darrin

This was why he preferred human contacts. He could just knock the double talk out of them. But never never creatures couldn't answer a straight question if there life depended on it.

"And if this something stolen was returned so others couldn't follow? Would you leave that one to us?"

ninja_penguin
2010-09-26, 09:51 PM
In the never-never

"Returned? It was not mine, but now this one has the thieving eyes and knows not what it knows." The creature said. Alden let out an incomprehensible mumble behind the webbing around his face, sounding indignant. "This one made its troubles, and now the trouble troubles come to trouble me. Bringing-" The creature paused, drawing itself up to it's full height, letting Alden drop to the the ground, the whole of its attention oriented in a point in the distance, as if reacting to a sound only it can hear. "...others." it hissed.

Gerard

"Hm, they say Malik didn't have the sight, despite all of his talents. I hear he made some fancy smancy things to make up for that and give him the edge he needed to see that kinda stuff. So probably both. Maybe one of them throws you off." Of course, the imp said, grinning, "you could always just pop open that extra eyelid of yours and take a look, eh?"

goblinpaladin
2010-09-26, 10:49 PM
Gerard gave a wry smile. "Yes. I suppose I could, at that. Alright- you've been most helpful, little friend."

Time to go see Jonathon, it seemed.

bue52
2010-09-27, 03:30 AM
"Okay, I've expected as much, have you worked with him personally?" Jonathan asks.

ninja_penguin
2010-09-28, 06:37 PM
Gerard

The imp nods indifferently, his form puffing away into a wisp of smoke, and the hands of the watch wind themselves back into hiding.

Jonathan

"Well, I was basically his middle-man boss on the way up the ladder. So I never really worked with him so much as at him. Dude had a repeated habit of being late; he was on his last strike with the company policy. Never had any actual problems during the work day, he seemed rather personable with some people. Always had some get-rich-quick scheme on his mind after hours though." Drew said. "Always trying to drag his buddies into them, too, now that I think about it."

bue52
2010-10-01, 10:26 AM
" I see if it isn't against protocol, I'd like to ask his buddies about him." Jonathan says focusing his eyes on Drew, but keeps up a soft smile so that he'd look firm but not threatening.

sdeligar
2010-10-01, 02:23 PM
Darrin

AS the creatures attention turns elsewhere Darrin leans close to Tami. "If you happen to know how to get us out of here I think I can get him away from the creature. We'll need to move fast though. Some others might be on the way."

ninja_penguin
2010-10-02, 06:39 PM
Jonathan

"Go ahead." Drew said with a wave of his hand. "None of them work for me anymore. I know that he's got a buddy named Matthew Jones, but I don't know where to find him right now. He quit months ago, entirely unsuspiciously because he was getting a job elsewhere that didn't involve sitting in a truck all day wearing brown shorts, and I never had any problems with him."

Drew sat back and sat for a second. "His other best buddy never worked for me, he just had a university job, and hung out here a lot. Aiden? Alden? Something like that."

Aagon
2010-10-03, 12:35 PM
Tami

Tami spoke softly to Darrin. "Alden might have made a portal to get here, he might know how to get out. I don't think we should hurt it though."

She spoke quickly to the creature. "What if we took him away and stopped him from coming here any more. Would the others leave you alone?"

ninja_penguin
2010-10-04, 02:19 PM
In the nevernever

The creature's head bobbed twice in response to Tami's suggestion. "Yes, yes, this would satisfy the purpose." It turns its head, tilting to glance quickly at Tami and Darrin. "Ahhh, but neither can step most properly. Quickly, quickly. Others tread." The creature makes a motion to follow it as it began moving down the pathways in a hurried manner.

OOC: (This is the beginning of a Cat & Mouse extended contest, check p. 194 for any extra details. For the sake of expediency, feel free to roll for two exchanges at a time, and modify either as you like independently. For this contest, we'll be using Athletics, and Tami and Darrin will average their rolls for the group's shifts, rounding up.)

bue52
2010-10-04, 09:41 PM
"Okay, thank you sir, I'll see what I can do with the information. Is there anything else you can offer?"

sdeligar
2010-10-06, 02:07 AM
Darrin

"I'm not really making a deal with this creature is the best idea. They rarely end the way you expect them to." Sighing as he eyes the creature he returns his spear to it's place on his back. "However I must admit this might be the only way especially since their seem to be more on the way. But no matter what we need to stick together." Checking to make sure Tami is ready he starts into a jog behind the creature.

first try[roll0]
second [roll1]

ninja_penguin
2010-10-08, 09:55 PM
Jonathan

"You can keep the file. It's got his contact information and all of that on it. It's a copy of the originals that we keep in corporate." Drew says as he stands up. He hold out his hand for Jonathan to shake. "Some of the higher ups are going to come down here and rattle us about while they go through the usual incident investigations, if anything new comes up, we'll make sure to contact the University."

(OOC: When Jonathan leaves would be a good time for Gerard to show up again)

bue52
2010-10-11, 09:46 AM
"Thank you," Jonathan says, and raises his hand to shake it. After that, Jonathan would start to leave the office.

goblinpaladin
2010-10-14, 07:01 AM
Gerard came to a stop on seeing Jonathan leaving the office. "Ah. Excellent- what did you find out?" He tapped the inside of his coat pocket. "A certain friend of mine told me some interesting things about our quarry."

bue52
2010-10-17, 12:12 AM
Jonathan relays what he had found out from the manager person, and then asks Gerard if he has any access to the school's registry.

ninja_penguin
2010-10-17, 10:42 AM
In the never-never

As Darrin and Tami follow the creature, they manage to make good time along the path's following the creature. Looking back for a moment, you see small globes of light bobbing in the distance following along the same paths that your ragtag group has been following. You can catch small, faint shouts of frustration as the distance between you and your followers increases.

OOC: Two more rounds.

sdeligar
2010-10-17, 03:46 PM
He still wasn't happy about working with this thing. But then again he felt even worse about taking on several of them at the same time so he just swallows his pride and continues running constantly checking to see that Tami is keeping up.
He also keeps a close eye on their guide and Alden just in case he has any surprises waiting.

first [roll0]
second [roll1]

ninja_penguin
2010-10-18, 01:57 PM
In the nevernever

The final leg of the pathway that the creature leads you on trends sharply uphill, and your pursuers close the gap before they, too, are forced to slow and climb. Looking back you're able to now see human figures wearing masks and robes climbing the hill, some of them holding lanterns, others holding wicked looking knives. Your whole group reaches the top of the 'hill' first, where the creature extends itself to its full height again, letting out a trilling warble. Perplexingly, a fish attached to a hooked line plummets from the unseen distances above, danging a foot above the top of the mound.

"Quickly, quickly. Take them and go. This one will deal with others." The creature says, offering you Aiden. "Never return."

sdeligar
2010-10-19, 08:00 PM
Looking between the fish hook and Alden he sighs and throws him over his shoulder firefighter style and hurries to the hook. With one arm holding Alden in place and the other holding the fighing line he steps onto the hook hoping this won't just take them to another strange place.

Another athletic roll just in case [roll0]

goblinpaladin
2010-10-19, 10:53 PM
"I imagine I could get it, certainly." Gerard fingered his pocket watch within it's pocket. "What for?"

bue52
2010-10-20, 10:16 AM
" One of the person who is connected to the missing dude is in our campus, the other isn't , if you want to, we can split up again and find leads between the two people prof. WHat else have you found?"

ninja_penguin
2010-10-21, 08:53 PM
In the nevernever

As soon as you grab the fish you find yourself shooting straight up into the lightless depths above. You feel a fleeting moment of vertigo and uncertainty, and suddenly you are surrounded by water and still being pulled upwards. A second or two later Darrin and Alden break the surface and the fish slips out of your hands.

"HAHA! I got it!" You hear a man's voice say. "What a fighter! I told you I'd land it."

"Uh, honey, I think you fished out more than a carp." A woman's voice replies. When you get the water cleared out of your eyes, you realize that you're now in Lake Dobson, one of the smaller fishing lakes surrounded by the outer farming fields of Reason.

"Ahoy there!" Deidre Mckee says from the boat. "Did you spring a leak?"

sdeligar
2010-10-23, 12:43 AM
Darrin

With a death grip on the fishing line and Alden he doesn't have much time to consider the absurdity of what's happening. As he spots the fisherman he starts pulling on the webbing holding Alden hoping he can get it off before they notice something strange.

""Uh..my friend fell in the water and got tangled up in some sea weed or something. Had to go in and help him get out. Thanks so much for help."

ninja_penguin
2010-10-25, 07:34 PM
In the outer fields

"Not a problem!" Deidre says, as she maneuvers the boat over to Darrin and Alden. Fortunately, by the time that they've reached the two of you, the webbing has started to turn into ectoplasmic goo and is indistinguishable from the water.

A little while later they've towed the pair of you the docks, gotten you both up to dry land, and departed on their way with their catch.

"So..." Alden says a moment later after an awkward silence. "I guess I owe you an explanation, huh?"

bue52
2010-10-26, 09:10 AM
"So Prof, how about we go and tackle the person in the campus first?" Jonathan asks.

sdeligar
2010-10-26, 12:56 PM
Darrin

Giving Alden a warning glance he only responds with "Not here. Pick up my car first then we can talk somewhere a little more private."

Heading for the nearest pay phone he calls a taxi to take them to the bookstore where he had left his car. When they arrive at the bookstore he is careful to go unseen just in case anybody feels like asking some awkward questions. After picking up Alden in the green four door he starts driving for his apartment.

"Alright Alden. Why don't you start explaining now we are as safe here as anywhere."

ninja_penguin
2010-10-27, 10:45 PM
On the road

"Look, I cant-" Aldean says, stopping and shaking his head. "What am I saying, I mean, this probably isn't anything new to you, whoever you are."

Alden fidgeted uncomfortably. "You're not going to call the cops on me, are you? Or, like, are you some kind of secret agent guy? You could tell me but then you'd have to kill me?"

sdeligar
2010-10-30, 05:41 PM
Darrin

Taking a deep breath he had to remind himself how important it was to remain calm and focused during times like these. Though yelling at the man might help him feel better for a while it certainly wouldn't help him get any answers.

"I'm assuming you've heard of the Knights of the Cross? Three people each gifted with a sword said to hold a nail taken from the cross of Christ? After taking a moment to check Alden's reactions he continues. "The easiest answer is that I work for a sort of off shot from them. Where they battle demons and and fight evil. My job is to collect knowledge and artifact in hopes that they can be used to protect humanity should it ever be necessary. But there are some of us, myself included, that will take on the demons when needed."

ninja_penguin
2010-11-04, 06:28 PM
On the Road

Alden's expression remains blank for the duration of Darrin's explanation. At the end of it, Alden looks rather lost and lets out a slow whistle. "Wow" he says after a pause. "I think I'm in way over my head." He shuffles in the seat a little bit to settle in. "I surrender. Take me to your leader."