PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about Aid, mass.

Kudaku
2010-08-24, 08:08 PM
I'm confused about something related (to Mass Aid on page 8 of the Spell Compendium) - specifically, it doesn't seem to have a maximum amount of recipients. Does this mean I can affect any amount of mobs so long as no two of them are more than 30 feet apart?

Fax Celestis
2010-08-24, 08:18 PM
I'm confused about something related (to Mass Aid on page 8 of the Spell Compendium) - specifically, it doesn't seem to have a maximum amount of recipients. Does this mean I can affect any amount of mobs so long as no two of them are more than 30 feet apart?

Yyyyyyyyyup. It means about 36 Medium targets, if you pack them in there reeeeeeal tight.

Kudaku
2010-08-24, 08:23 PM
Yyyyyyyyyup. It means about 36 Medium targets, if you pack them in there reeeeeeal tight.

And more if you bring in ramps or the like? Excellent, my army devisions will love to hear that! Thanks :smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-08-24, 08:23 PM
Yyyyyyyyyup. It means about 36 Medium targets, if you pack them in there reeeeeeal tight.Up to four medium creatures can participate in grapple (and thus occupy the same square). :smallcool:

Fax Celestis
2010-08-24, 08:24 PM
Up to four medium creatures can participate in grapple (and thus occupy the same square). :smallcool:

Drill Sergeant Nasty (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DrillSergeantNasty): "Alright, maggots, it's cuddle time." *casts mass aid*

Kudaku
2010-08-24, 08:29 PM
further thought experiment... Build a 5 foot high ramp, have 25 targets grapple on top of it and 25 targets getting it on underneath it, get into the middle of the (ugh...) sweaty pile and cast mass aid - I make that 200 targets, as long as you make the check to cast from a grapple :smallbiggrin:

arrowhen
2010-08-24, 08:37 PM
Up to four medium creatures can participate in grapple (and thus occupy the same square). :smallcool:
Then you stack them 30 feet high. Then you remember how the Pythagorean Theorem works and edit your post.

edit#2: A 30' pyramid would work, wouldn't it?

Also, don't forget to mass reduce person them first.

Kudaku
2010-08-24, 08:46 PM
So during my next session I'll tell the dungeon master I want to build a six story glass (for LoS) parking structure that I want my guys to practice wrestling moves in... That sounds like something that should be on pay-per-view after midnight :smallbiggrin:.

Right, I think I'll stick to the 36 man original ruling, but thanks for the jokes and the rather horrible imagery!

arrowhen
2010-08-24, 08:56 PM
It wouldn't have to be glass. A scaffolding structure, like a jungle gym, would work. Plus, you could make it collapsible for easy portability.

imp_fireball
2010-08-24, 09:29 PM
And more if you bring in ramps or the like? Excellent, my army devisions will love to hear that! Thanks :smallsmile:

You could also stick them in a very wide siege tower (40ft. or so wide, 40ft. high; so it's more like a siege cube, but you could make it taller for very high walls). Each elevated layer could be 5ft. apart from the lower/higher layer (so each medium soldier would probably need to crouch slightly; not really a problem).

Or you could have something without walls - maybe like a layered bleacher stand with ladders. Essentially assists soldiers in standing above one another to take up as much three dimensional space as possible. Good for if they aren't trained to be cheer leaders that can form really big human pyramids. :smallbiggrin:

as long as you make the check to cast from a grapple

If the person is an ally, I think they can willingly let you cast.