PDA

View Full Version : Is there a caster that can cast/know any spell?

thefear436
2010-08-24, 11:26 PM
As the title suggests is there a caster that can cast/know ANY spell, or is artificer the only one and even that is only for divine spells

TaintedLight
2010-08-24, 11:29 PM
There's the Extra Spell feat. It doesn't require the chosen spell to be on your class list.

Balain
2010-08-24, 11:32 PM
Mystic Theurge or what ever it is called. Gets both divine and arcane spells. Can't get 9th level spells till epic levels though

Tael
2010-08-24, 11:32 PM
Spell to Power Erudites, Artificers*, Warlocks* and potentially Archivists using some cheese can cast any spell in the game.

*: These classes must craft wands/scrolls and then UMD them, but they can craft anything and UMD well.

TaintedLight
2010-08-24, 11:34 PM
Mystic Theurge or what ever it is called. Gets both divine and arcane spells. Can't get 9th level spells till epic levels though

Use Ur Priest to get that. Wizard 6/Mindbender 1/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 10/Arcane Advancement 1.

Trickywiggy
2010-08-24, 11:34 PM

Depending how you got in you would end up missing spells, there are druid only and bard only spells and I love the heck outta glibness

PId6
2010-08-24, 11:36 PM
The recaster PrC can learn spells from any list for your base class, as can Extra Spell (though the latter is arguably not intended). Archivist (not artificer) can learn every divine spell and most arcane ones (thanks to domain lists, divine bard, and similar), as well as cast even more of them (via Anyspell and Miracle). A wizard/rainbow servant can learn/cast every sor/wiz and cleric spell in the game, which is a pretty substantive portion. Domain dipping (via Contemplative, Sovereign Speaker, etc) can get even more.

Finally, UMD users can cast every spell as scrolls, while warlock and artificer can even craft those scrolls for you.

TaintedLight
2010-08-25, 12:04 AM
The recaster PrC can learn spells from any list for your base class, as can Extra Spell (though the latter is arguably not intended). Archivist (not artificer) can learn every divine spell and most arcane ones (thanks to domain lists, divine bard, and similar), as well as cast even more of them (via Anyspell and Miracle). A wizard/rainbow servant can learn/cast every sor/wiz and cleric spell in the game, which is a pretty substantive portion. Domain dipping (via Contemplative, Sovereign Speaker, etc) can get even more.

Finally, UMD users can cast every spell as scrolls, while warlock and artificer can even craft those scrolls for you.

I'd actually argue that that's exactly what the Extra Spell feat is for:

For classes such as wizard that have more options for learning spells, Extra Spell is generally used to learn a specific spell that the character lacks access to and would be unable to research.

EvilJames
2010-08-25, 12:08 AM
No there is no class that can cast every single spell in the game. The closest is the Archivist which has been mentioned which can learn any divine spell in the game be they cleric, druid paladin, ranger, blackguard, domain or anything else that says divine spell. And a few prestige classes grant you interesting mixes of spells (usually clerical and sorc/wiz) but no single class allows access to every single spell. Unique spell lists are part of what differentiates many of the classes. If you want bard spells you have to be a bard, if you want wujen spells you have to be a wujen and so on.

PId6
2010-08-25, 12:10 AM
I'd actually argue that that's exactly what the Extra Spell feat is for:
It's disallowed via FAQ. FAQ isn't RAW though, so take it as you will.

TaintedLight
2010-08-25, 12:16 AM
It's disallowed via FAQ. FAQ isn't RAW though, so take it as you will.

I didn't know that there was an FAQ on it. I suppose it makes sense to restrict it that way, but that just makes it another poorly written feat.

Wings of Peace
2010-08-25, 12:29 AM
Really? No mention of Rainbow Warmages/Rainbow Beguilers at all? Shame on you people!

PId6
2010-08-25, 12:34 AM
Really? No mention of Rainbow Warmages/Rainbow Beguilers at all? Shame on you people!
They don't really come close to the "every spell known ever" limit much more than, say, a cleric with a few extra domain dips. I did mention Rainbow Wizard though, which can learn the entirety of the sor/wiz and cleric lists. It's not nearly as good since it's not spontaneous, but it does serve the OP's purpose better.

TaintedLight
2010-08-25, 12:38 AM
Limited Wish gets you any bard spell I think, but you're still short some druid and Dread Necromancer spells with Wizard/Archivist gestalt. Also Wujen.

Wings of Peace
2010-08-25, 12:47 AM
They don't really come close to the "every spell known ever" limit much more than, say, a cleric with a few extra domain dips. .

Untrue. The original Rainbow Warmage also mixed in Prestige Paladin 4 for Sword of the Arcane Order which granted it Wizard casting.

JeminiZero
2010-08-25, 01:00 AM
The straightforward without too much cheese is: Anything with Level 9 Spells + Method of artificially casting level 10 spells + 2 level dip in Chameleon.

Chameleon 2 comes with a feat that can be swapped each day, letting you take Extra Spell Known for 1 particular spell. However, Extra Spell Known is limited to 1 level below the highest you can cast, so you need Versatile/Heighten or Heighten/Earth Spell or Sanctum to fake level 10 spells to qualify Extra Spell Known for level 9 spell.

Now to make it really cheesy, use 18 Archivist/2 Chameleon. As an Archivist, you can write divine scrolls of your extra known spell. The next day you swap out extra known spell for something else. Since you can learn ANY divine spell, you can then copy the divine scroll you scribed previously into your prayer book, permanently adding it to your reportaire.

Wings of Peace
2010-08-25, 01:09 AM
The straightforward without too much cheese is: Anything with Level 9 Spells + Method of artificially casting level 10 spells + 2 level dip in Chameleon.

Chameleon 2 comes with a feat that can be swapped each day, letting you take Extra Spell Known for 1 particular spell. However, Extra Spell Known is limited to 1 level below the highest you can cast, so you need Versatile/Heighten or Heighten/Earth Spell or Sanctum to fake level 10 spells to qualify Extra Spell Known for level 9 spell.

Now to make it really cheesy, use 18 Archivist/2 Chameleon. As an Archivist, you can write divine scrolls of your extra known spell. The next day you swap out extra known spell for something else. Since you can learn ANY divine spell, you can then copy the divine scroll you scribed previously into your prayer book, permanently adding it to your reportaire.

Ooooo. You just reminded me of the old Ultimate Multi-Threat build. Anyone remember that guy? The idea behind him was that by the rules we can't use Chameleon to qualify for anything but that doesn't stop us from applying lots of things to the Chameleon.

The old Ultimate Multi-Threat used an Illumian with the pseudo DMM Heighten Spell word and another feat (see Earth Spell and it's kin) to qualify as being able to cast level 10 spells. From there we work backwards and take Extra slot 9,8, and 7. This literally gives us access to every spell in existence.

With Magical Training we could theoretically qualify for Tainted Scholar and apply that to Chameleon as well which would blast our spells per day through the roof. Especially if we buy the [Evil] subtype.

Robert Blackletter
2010-08-25, 04:03 AM
The Sorcerer possibly can due to this line in the phb

These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list, or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study.

Though I doubt many DM's would let it fly

Bayar
2010-08-25, 07:09 AM
No there is no class that can cast every single spell in the game. The closest is the Archivist which has been mentioned which can learn any divine spell in the game be they cleric, druid paladin, ranger, blackguard, domain or anything else that says divine spell. And a few prestige classes grant you interesting mixes of spells (usually clerical and sorc/wiz) but no single class allows access to every single spell. Unique spell lists are part of what differentiates many of the classes. If you want bard spells you have to be a bard, if you want wujen spells you have to be a wujen and so on.

The warlock and artificier would like a word with you...

Thurbane
2010-08-25, 07:22 AM
Chameleon casting (arcane focus, divine focus) can be from any arcane casting class and any divine casting class respectively, but only up to level 6.

The Generic Spellcaster class in UA can take any spell from the Cleric, Druid or Sorc/Wizard list (but not from Bard, Paladin, Ranger etc.).

...other than that, theurge or gestalt Spell to Power Erudite/Archivist.

urbanpirate
2010-08-25, 07:44 AM
if gestalt is allowed stp erudite//archivist should take care of al spells for ya. also SAD if i remember correctly

Noneoyabizzness
2010-08-25, 08:09 AM
spellcaster generic class in unearthed arcana it just chooses spells.

gestalting wiz arch might be the msot efficient way to get EVERY spell (mystic theurge/ bard or hexblade at some point to get some missing spells)

shadow_archmagi
2010-08-25, 08:17 AM
artificer is only for divine spells

Uh, NO.

Artificer is for all spells. Quoth the eberron campaign setting

An artificer's magic is neither arcane nor divine. Artificers do whatever they want with any spell they want no matter whose class list it is on.

"I get a better hat than you"

Artificer Tzu said that and I'd say he knows a LITTLE more about crafting than YOU DO pal, because HE INVENTED IT! And then he perfected it so that no man could best him in the test of spite!

Basically, all an artificer has to do to cast a spell of 4th level or lower is burn a 1st level infusion, because one of his powers is "Turn anything into a scroll in 60 seconds or less"

For any spell HIGHER than that, he can make a scroll or a wand or something. Thus, there is no reason (Besides finite supply of Gold and XP) that an artificer couldn't make a scroll of every single spell ever and be COMPLETELY PREPARED.

fryplink
2010-08-25, 08:19 AM
with enough cheese you could probably get 9th's on a Archivist/Wizard theurge build. It's also nicely Int friendly. He could theoretically know every spell, but his ability to learn them all *might* be limited by WBL.

Thurbane
2010-08-25, 05:08 PM
There's still some spells (Wu Jen uniques, for example) that a Wizard/Archivist couldn't learn...

Jack_Simth
2010-08-25, 05:08 PM
Archivist (not artificer) can learn every divine spell and most arcane ones (thanks to domain lists, divine bard, and similar), as well as cast even more of them (via Anyspell and Miracle).Ah, there's a quirk (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#prerequisites) in the magic item rules that lets the Archivist learn any spell:

It is possible for more than one character to cooperate in the creation of an item, with each participant providing one or more of the prerequisites. In some cases, cooperation may even be necessary.

If two or more characters cooperate to create an item, they must agree among themselves who will be considered the creator for the purpose of determinations where the creator’s level must be known. The character designated as the creator pays the XP required to make the item.
Tack on to that a bit from the Scroll Activation rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm#activatetheSpell)
(The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.), and you have something interesting:

If an Archivist provides the Scribe Scroll feat (a prerequisite for making a scroll), and a member of another class (even an arcane one) provides the actual spell, and the Archivist pays the XP cost, the resulting scroll is Divine (based on the class of the 'creator'). Which the Archivist can learn, what with it being a Divine scroll.

So with enough work, an Archivist can learn any spell in the game (but not Psionic Powers). The Spell to Power Erudite (variation on a variation of the Psion - check Complete Psionic) can also learn any spell in the game.

JBento
2010-08-25, 05:41 PM
The pure wizard can do the exact same thing, since he can scribe any spell from a magical scroll into his spellbook. EVEN if your DM restricts this to arcane spells, there's no shortage of critters (dragons, nagas, etc.) that cast Cleric and + spells as arcane spells.

Quote, from the srd:

Spells Copied from Another’s Spellbook or a Scroll

A wizard can also add a spell to her book whenever she encounters one on a magic scroll or in another wizard’s spellbook

EDIT: There's an optimization challenge somewhere on the boards where Kurald Galain made a gestalt character that could do every frikkin' magic trick - spells, powers, invocation, soulmelds, vestige binding, the works

Greenish
2010-08-25, 05:54 PM
EDIT: There's an optimization challenge somewhere on the boards where Kurald Galain made a gestalt character that could do every frikkin' magic trick - spells, powers, invocation, soulmelds, vestige binding, the worksThe Omnicaster? I seem to recall that it was a gestalt that used double progression PrCs on both sides, but yeah, it was cool. It even had Utterances (truenamer magic). :smallbiggrin:

liquid150
2010-08-25, 06:56 PM
2 Wizard/8 Beholder Mage/10 Rainbow Servant

Requires incredible cheese. Can learn every arcane spell, knows every divine spell ever published, and can cast all of them spontaneously.

I don't recommend ever trying to pull this off.

You won't get bard spells, but I don't think you'd really care anyway.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, at level 20 you can also cast 10 spells in 1 round, if you wanted to.

fryplink
2010-08-25, 07:02 PM

I think the only bard spell not to appear on another list somewhere is sympathetic vibration

Edit: in core that is, a lot of the other bard-exclusive spells involve bardic music, making it a bit silly to have.

Vulaas
2010-08-25, 10:34 PM
With cheese:

Archivist (giving all divine PRC lists, druid, cleric, wizard, and sorcerer lists thanks to Generic Spellcaster), dipping Prestige Bard (use Southern Magician to qualify)(giving bardic list), leaving just arcane PRC lists, and Duskblade. I suppose you could do Alternate Spell Source and Southern Magician trickery to get the rest of them.

Or a Thrallherd with a lot of fusion trickery :smalltongue:

EvilJames
2010-08-26, 03:57 AM
The warlock and artificier would like a word with you...

They can have all the words they like. They can only cast from scrolls. Niether of them actually learns any spells of any kind.

@shadow_archmagi: The OP appears to have the Achivist and the Artificer mixed up.

Bayar
2010-08-26, 05:03 AM
They can have all the words they like. They can only cast from scrolls. Niether of them actually learns any spells of any kind.

Yeah yeah, technicalities...

Project_Mayhem
2010-08-26, 06:19 AM

@shadow_archmagi: The OP appears to have the Achivist and the Artificer mixed up.

Yeah, but when you can write any scroll you like for basically no cost (which is where the warlock falls behind) that's not really an issue

KellKheraptis
2010-08-26, 06:20 AM
-Shadowcraft Mage with enough reducers gets Shadow Miracles out of cantrips, meaning every spell, power, and maneuver through greater effect.

-My warmage guide on 339 got the entire Paladin, warmage, cleric, and Sor/Wiz list

-Getting Wyrm of War on a dragonwraught kobold archivist with SotAO schtick gets everything but powers

-Dragonwrought kobold archivist with StP abusing Body outside Body gets it all, period. Same with an Ardent with mantle shuffling (gotta love ambiguous rules)

Practically speaking, the easiest way IMO is take advantage of the planetar form as a Wizard or Psion, and sub his domains if a Psion, since those have the best arcane (read : most powerful) spells most of the time anyhow. And if you're an StP erudite, you're already GOD on steroids.

Yuki Akuma
2010-08-26, 07:05 AM

The Artificer's infusions would like a word with you, too.

They can also cast more spells per day due to being able to stock up on scrolls pretty easily... Plus there's that "cast any 4th level or lower spell" infusion.

pife
2010-08-26, 09:41 AM
I know I'm stretching here, but I believe 2nd Ed AD&D had, in it's Al-Qadim campaign setting, a class called the Sha'ir.. They COULD have any and every spell..

Granted, that's going a looooong way back, but if you're looking to create/modify a class, there ya go. Any spell. Any level.. Sorta, lol.

tyckspoon
2010-08-26, 09:58 AM
I know I'm stretching here, but I believe 2nd Ed AD&D had, in it's Al-Qadim campaign setting, a class called the Sha'ir.. They COULD have any and every spell..

Granted, that's going a looooong way back, but if you're looking to create/modify a class, there ya go. Any spell. Any level.. Sorta, lol.

Reprinted in Dragon magazine and chosen for inclusion in the Dragon Compendium, so there's a 3.5-compliant version of it available. It's an interesting class, but the spell-retrieval mechanism is rather bizarre and much more cumbersome than most people will want to bother with (IIRC, while it can retrieve potentially almost any spell, getting a divine spell requires several hours, as compared to several rounds for a Wizard spell or several minutes for an off-list arcane spell.)

Edit: Bah, it's not as versatile as I mis-remembered. It can pseudo-spontaneously cast the Sorc/Wizard lists (requires rounds to acquire a spell Known, minutes to acquire one familiar but not Known) and has a limited number of clerical Domain spells available as well (always requires hours to retrieve, Known or not, which means you may as well never bother because the rest of the party can have entire adventures in the time it takes you to get a single domain spell.) They make really good utility casters, because they basically operate like a Wizard who leaves his entire set of spell-slots blank and fills them on call. Horrible way to go about the standard adventuring/combat day, tho.

Nohwl
2010-08-26, 10:09 AM
-Dragonwrought kobold archivist with StP abusing Body outside Body gets it all, period. Same with an Ardent with mantle shuffling (gotta love ambiguous rules)

can you explain these two?

aeauseth
2010-08-26, 01:18 PM
As the title suggests is there a caster that can cast/know ANY spell, or is artificer the only one and even that is only for divine spells

When I first read this I thought you were talking about the spell ANYSPELL. Which obviously includes a Cleric with the SPELL domain and Artificer (which can cast any diving + domain spell). Then I read all the responses and you wanted a caster that can cast ANY spell (that is all the spells in all the books).

I can't think of a non-epic solution to this. I think you can PrC your way into a Artificier/Wizard type but your missing some of the Bard/WuJen spells.

A gestalt with dual progressing PrC's should do the trick, although I believe RAW prohibits this so you'd need a DM waiver.

Jallorn
2010-08-26, 01:43 PM
Limited Wish gets you any bard spell I think, but you're still short some druid and Dread Necromancer spells with Wizard/Archivist gestalt. Also Wujen.

Archivists can learn Druid Spells.

Magnema
2010-08-26, 02:31 PM
Pun-pun. :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2010-08-26, 02:40 PM
So an Archivist16/PrestigePaladin4 with Sword of the Arcane Order can learn or cast:

All divine spells they can find/make a scroll of (including Bard spells via Divine Bard).
All Sorcerer/Wizard Spells.
Any spell of 7th level or lower via Miracle.

That pretty much leaves 8th and 9th level WuJen spells that they have to cooperate with a WuJen to specifically scribe scrolls to learn from.

EvilJames
2010-08-28, 12:32 AM
The Artificer's infusions would like a word with you, too.

They can also cast more spells per day due to being able to stock up on scrolls pretty easily... Plus there's that "cast any 4th level or lower spell" infusion.
hence they can't learn and cast all spells. The ability to make any scroll desired makes Artificers (different for Archivists which can only cast all divine spells and seems to be a common mix up around here) and warlocks the closest to what the OP wants with out massive amounts of cheese and shady interpretations of rules.

Bayar
2010-08-28, 08:33 AM
hence they can't learn and cast all spells. The ability to make any scroll desired makes Artificers (different for Archivists which can only cast all divine spells and seems to be a common mix up around here) and warlocks the closest to what the OP wants with out massive amounts of cheese and shady interpretations of rules.

I'd say that also having infusions might put artificiers slightly ahead of the other two. Seeing as no other class has acces to artificier-only infusions.

KellKheraptis
2010-08-28, 01:06 PM
can you explain these two?

Part of that is typo : StP Erudite. Reasoning for DK Kobold is the addition of the druid list from Child of Eberron or Wyrm of War to snag maneuvers. Mantle shuffling is the affectionate term for swapping and adding powers to mantles, a la The Mind's Eye on the WotC website to make ardents and psionic classes suck less. The TO of that though is that any power can be in a mantle, and as such, any spell, thanks to StP Erudite allowing them to exist and the divine adaptation to it from Dragon mag. Top end TO of it is an Ardent using it to snag all spells and powers with PsyRef-ed BoB's.

FMArthur
2010-08-28, 01:13 PM
2 Wizard/8 Beholder Mage/10 Rainbow Servant

Requires incredible cheese. Can learn every arcane spell, knows every divine spell ever published, and can cast all of them spontaneously.

I don't recommend ever trying to pull this off.

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention, at level 20 you can also cast 10 spells in 1 round, if you wanted to.

I don't get what you're even trying to accomplish here. You don't get any spells that aren't on the Wizard and Cleric lists, which is not even remotely close to getting every arcane and divine spell like you're saying. You should also know that Rainbow Servant advances arcane casting, so you wouldn't need to spend 8 levels in Beholder Mage separately... if you qualified for Beholder Mage at all, which you don't. It's not enough to get Polymorph Any Object; you need to have an actual Antimagic Eye to put out to take Beholder Mage levels and you need Eye Rays to sacrifice so you can actually use your spellcasting class features. Because of this you need the Metamorphic Transfer feat (twice), which requires manifester level 5 (a level in Psion with Practiced Manifester does the trick). And when you succeed, you're still not covering anything more than the Wizard and Cleric lists, which is trivially easy to get in non-cheesy ways. This thread is about getting all the spells. All of them.

Cheese can only be cheese if it works. :smalltongue: