PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Wizards and Scrolls

Halae
2010-08-24, 11:37 PM
I was thinking about it, and it got me thinking "Hey, can a wizard take any spell?"

I seem to recall someone mentioning that essentially every spell would be able to be copied by a wizard if an artificer could make the divine ones arcane, but I can't find the location of the quote. this would be huge, as it would allow Wizards to get their bard buddies to scribe cure spells, a Wu Jen to scribe useful little spells, even assassins if you want to go that far. not to mention the artificer, being awesome could just go "OK, give me a few days then you can come get every spell in the world"

can a wizard do this?

Marnath
2010-08-24, 11:38 PM
Not to my knowledge, no. He probably meant archivist, who can learn any divine spell and uses a prayerbook just like a wizard. Gestalt those two and you're like tier 0.25.

jpreem
2010-08-25, 02:47 AM
Artificer scribes scrolls that are not arcane neither divine but special artificer scrolls. It is probably meant to avoid - "Give me time and money and we can fill party's wizard/archivist books full of all spells ever."

Rad
2010-08-25, 02:54 AM
No, wizards are still bound, like everyone else, to their class spell list. The artificers take advantage of the fact that many arcane spells are found in domains and, IIRC, their class spelllist is not as well defined.

Halae
2010-08-25, 02:59 AM
Artificer scribes scrolls that are not arcane neither divine but special artificer scrolls. It is probably meant to avoid - "Give me time and money and we can fill party's wizard/archivist books full of all spells ever."

it kinda makes it moot when that item vendor is a warlock and the character is a wizard archivist mystic theurge

Marnath
2010-08-25, 09:10 PM

I said ARCHIVIST, not ARTIFICER. They sound alike but they aren't really. :smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-08-25, 09:33 PM
I said ARCHIVIST, not ARTIFICER. They sound alike but they aren't really. :smallsmile:But OP mentioned artificer.

Marnath
2010-08-25, 09:35 PM
But OP mentioned artificer.

Ah, so he did. It's worth pointing out that a Bard's cure spell is already arcane...you just can't learn it because it's not on the sorc/wiz list.