PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Platinum Dragon Heritage

Tenebris
2010-08-25, 06:39 AM
First of all: greeting for all D&D and OotS fans. Sorry for my English, not because my grammar is extraordinarily bad (only bad), but I sometimes devise such twisted and out of touch with sanity sentences that even I hardly understand them later.

For several days I find myself stricken with a question. Not for the first time in 3.5ed history but for this particular one I was unable to find answer. Maybe I missed something (it's not like I read all those things in the rulebooks), or maybe I cannot write Google queries properly. I decided finally to seek the answer here.

Draconic Heritage (Platinum) has a descriptor of "Any one energy type". What does it really mean in practice?

1. I must select one energy type when picking this feat and stick to it.
2. Whenever it matters I can choose energy type which suits me best.
3. All energy types are available for me all the time simultaneously. It's not like I'd want to my Draconic Breath get all energy descriptors, but it still makes Draconic Resistance feat pretty awesome. Better than foregoing because it makes me energy-admixture-proof.

Plus I'm quite tempted with sonic energy, which isn't usually a choice for draconic heritage characters :smallbiggrin:

I have an another question that came to my mind and is connected to this topic. Dragonborn through rebirth looses all racial traits but keep racial ability modifiers. How does it work with hellbred? He gets his ability modifiers through Infernal Aspect (a racial trait). These are not racial modifiers as they are written, rather untyped, however please notice that in other races' entries their ability modifiers are not specifically listed "racial" as such. It's only our common sense that makes them "racial". Nevertheless, not the point...

Should I keep those modifiers intact?

If not, what race would be the most suitable for dragonborn sorcerer?

FMArthur
2010-08-25, 07:02 AM
First of all: greeting for all D&D and OotS fans. Sorry for my English, not because my grammar is extraordinarily bad (only bad), but I sometimes devise such twisted and out of touch with sanity sentences that even I hardly understand them later.

For several days I find myself stricken with a question. Not for the first time in 3.5ed history but for this particular one I was unable to find answer. Maybe I missed something (it's not like I read all those things in the rulebooks), or maybe I cannot write Google queries properly. I decided finally to seek the answer here.

Draconic Heritage (Platinum) has a descriptor of "Any one energy type". What does it really mean in practice?

1. I must select one energy type when picking this feat and stick to it.
2. Whenever it matters I can choose energy type which suits me best.
3. All energy types are available for me all the time simultaneously. It's not like I'd want to my Draconic Breath get all energy descriptors, but it still makes Draconic Resistance feat pretty awesome. Better than foregoing because it makes me energy-admixture-proof.

Plus I'm quite tempted with sonic energy, which isn't usually a choice for draconic heritage characters :smallbiggrin:

I have an another question that came to my mind and is connected to this topic. Dragonborn through rebirth looses all racial traits but keep racial ability modifiers. How does it work with hellbred? He gets his ability modifiers through Infernal Aspect (a racial trait). These are not racial modifiers as they are written, rather untyped, however please notice that in other races' entries their ability modifiers are not specifically listed "racial" as such. It's only our common sense that makes them "racial". Nevertheless, not the point...

Should I keep those modifiers intact?

If not, what race would be the most suitable for dragonborn sorcerer?

Hmmm... I would probably keep the racial adjustment from Infernal Aspect, although it is somewhat against RAW (becoming a Dragonborn shouldn't be enough to free you from your damnation anyway). Talk to your DM, since it seems like a purely DM call.

Spellscales from RotD have the same Sorceror-friendly adjustment as the Infernal Aspect, but you probably already know this and want to be a Dragonborn (which can't apply to already-dragonblooded, right?). Lesser Aasimar is another LA+0 race that has a Cha bonus, and doesn't suffer a Con penalty like the other two. Aasimar are from FR Campaign Setting or Races of Destiny, and Player's Guide to Faerun has details on making lesser planetouched. Basically just change its type to Humanoid and that's it.

true_shinken
2010-08-25, 09:50 AM
Hmmm... I would probably keep the racial adjustment from Infernal Aspect, although it is somewhat against RAW (becoming a Dragonborn shouldn't be enough to free you from your damnation anyway). Talk to your DM, since it seems like a purely DM call.

Actually, fluff-wise, I think dragonborning is one of few things that really does purify your soul completly,

Marnath
2010-08-25, 09:03 PM
Actually, fluff-wise, I think dragonborning is one of few things that really does purify your soul completly,

The first time i read that i thought it said dragon boning, and i was gonna say "we're talking about dragonborn, not half-dragon :smalltongue::smallwink:."

Tenebris
2010-08-26, 02:28 AM

Spellscales from RotD have the same Sorceror-friendly adjustment as the Infernal Aspect, but you probably already know this and want to be a Dragonborn (which can't apply to already-dragonblooded, right?). Lesser Aasimar is another LA+0 race that has a Cha bonus, and doesn't suffer a Con penalty like the other two. Aasimar are from FR Campaign Setting or Races of Destiny, and Player's Guide to Faerun has details on making lesser planetouched. Basically just change its type to Humanoid and that's it.
Actually I haven't noticed this all cheat-the-fate thing. I was merely considering a good race for dragonborn sorcerer and found abilities based on Infernal Aspect tricky working with rebirth mechanism. That's just a theoretical discussion. I also think that call of Bahamut should be able to redeem you from infernal taint. This only brings more flavor to this build.

I glanced through dragonborn chapter in RotD and only requirements for future dragonborn I found were non-evil alignment and intelligence of at least 3. I think I had to miss something again, because I was pretty sure you were right in this one. Spellscales should probably fit, nevertheless, you are right - it's against the spirit of dragonborn. I'd probably go with them without bothering with dragonborn template if platinum heritage wasn't allowed only for dragonborn characters. And this is the main subject of this all discussion, right? (A gentle suggestion for anyone to take a stand on the main question :smallbiggrin: )