PDA

View Full Version : Help! Warehouse Features

Kol Korran
2010-08-25, 09:16 AM
long story short- my campaign is going to start with an investigation of an Orien warehouse (This is Eberron, but it doesn't matter much). The warehouse is central and should be quite big, with several sub sections i think. only problem is- i can't really think of any. I need ideas, they don't have to be something the party actually interacts with, just something to add atmosphere.
my ideas so far (wow to my lameness!):
- there are continual light lanterns all around at set intervals to keep the place lit.
- there is a warforged repair section, in case they got damaged during the job.
- cold storage for quality meat and other rare and delicate quantities (here will be the end showdown of this part).
- on the floor ar rails. above them float Metal disks that help with loading and unloading (they are made by Tenser's floating disk. the workers in the place have a device that enables to control that (and the PC can obtain one)

and that's all i got... as you see, i need help. thank you in advance!

Tyndmyr
2010-08-25, 09:25 AM
Crates. Lots of crates. And a crowbar. Put minor loot inside the first ones. Then start with the traps.

Grogmir
2010-08-25, 09:26 AM
Vats of hot liquid, Air Vents, Shutes to the garage disposal, Garage crushers,
Different levels rickaty walkways.

Dizlag
2010-08-25, 10:27 AM
This makes me think of the show Warehouse 13 on the SyFy channel. :smallbiggrin:

- Some sort of defense system using the animated crossbow creatures from Eberron ... can't remember what they are called at the moment.

- Other sub-sections of the warehouse ideas:
- Artifact Section (fairly mundane items, but priceless in a way)
- Armory Section (arms for the local militia)
- Miscellaneous Farming Equipment
- Broken Equipment (blacksmithing stuff, broken tools)

Dizlag

Vantharion
2010-08-25, 01:51 PM
Fabric is a lot of fun. It makes great improvised weaponry for blinding or slowing a swarm/large creature.
Having large bags of flour/powdery matter can make a nice addition or makeshift fireball.
Communication method perhaps? Small books of messaging.
Empty space says a lot and can creep players out too. Use negative/positive space well.

Teln
2010-08-25, 02:00 PM
Heavy-lifting golems that operate by reading labels and storing the crates appropriately.

The fun comes when somebody thinks of weaponizing the handheld labeler.

Toliudar
2010-08-25, 03:01 PM
rotating chain "clotheslines" on pulleys that move up and down diagonally between floors. The chains have hooks on them that ferry materials up and down, but PC's can also use them to move between levels, potentially hiding behind objects being carried.

Comic relief encounter with goblin/halfling/whatever's appropriate young peons smoking up in a secluded area.

Patches of spilled oil/grease - requires balance checks to cross. Perfect for ambushes.

An area where a very heavy/large crate has smashed through the floor. Perhaps it reveals a basement area? Perhaps the crate itself contains a very heavy mcguffin?

Complex rows of crates with narrow passages between are great for suspenseful maze fights - especially at low levels, when it's especially hard to know what's coming.

One mimic. Just one. Pretending to be a crate.

Good luck!

Darrin
2010-08-25, 03:19 PM
This makes me think of the show Warehouse 13 on the SyFy channel. :smallbiggrin:

Scrape the paint off the numbers and take a look at the original inspiration (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/books/product.aspx?r=1&isbn=9781556343285&cm_mmc=Google%20Product%20Search-_-Q000000630-_-Gurps%20Warehouse%2023-_-9781556343285).

Also, check the basement (http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/box/). Or the dumpster (http://www.warehouse23.com/basement/dumpster/dump.html).

My favorite is still smokeless baby powder. Which of course allowed the development of fully-automatic babies.

BRC
2010-08-25, 03:21 PM
Make a "Hilarious Consequences" table that you roll every time somebody opens a box you havn't planned for.

Randel
2010-08-25, 08:16 PM
A system of ropes, pulleys, and winches that help lift crates from one level to the next.

Elevators

Bridges and walkways that are high up near the roof (possibly used to maintain the ropes and pulleys near the top).

Conveyor belts with workers or constructs on the side to pick up packages that should be sorted into different areas.

A trash compactor/incinerator thing for dumping used up packaging material or broken crates or pallets.

Observation towers or places where the supervisor can look down on the workspace and see if anything goes wrong.

Various 'emergency stop' buttons that can be pressed to sound alarms or stop the automated mechanisms. (so if the players find themselves caught in a package sorter or other gizmo they can just look for an E-Stop button to stop the whole thing). Have similar buttons on any expensive constructs or magic items... if they opt to destroy the rampaging golem then have someone get ticked off and point out the huge red 'off' button that is located on its back.

Containers full of nails, tape, cloth bags, or other things to mend or maintain the various containers in the warehouse. Use cans full of nails as crude caltrops or the like.

Have all the dangerous equipment or trap doors clearly labeled for the characters except for a few where the enemy deliberately hides them.

Possibly some hidden rooms or panic rooms or whatnot... places where the workers could possibly hide in case of a zombie apocolypse (or other supernatural attack) or other places where workers or staff was hiding stashes of goods that they skinmmed from the products in the warehouse.

Equipment specifically meant for combating a zombie apocolypse (due to safety regulations, all businesses must have zombie apocolypse drills on a regular basis so that their workers will know what to do in such an event.). Have books, diagrams, and maybe little zombie apocolypse survival kits in a room somewhere just before they cross into another area... just to mess with the players. No need to actually include zombies.

Magical vending machines in the employee lounge or dining area. Or maybe just a table full of bagels (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/06/06/magazine/what-the-bagel-man-saw.html) with a wooden box that says "Bagels 2cp each" there is nobody around to force people to pay for the bagels and you estimate there is about 10 sp worth of money in the bagel box. If the players steal bagels without paying for them or worse yet steal from the bagel money box then bad things happen.

A box full of 'restorables' which are broken mundane objects which can be sent back to a mages factory somewhere and use mending or make whole to restore them to mint condition. Kind of like the magic version of recycling.

A freezing section that makes use of brown mold to keep the room cold. The brown mold is kept in special containers, breaking the containers spreads the mold around where it can damage the players or contaminate the food inside. Using fire in this area also breaks the containers and makes the brown mold spread. Buckets of water are available to dump on the mold which freezes and kills them. Warning signs say 'do not use fire near brown mold'... put in some enemies who are weak against fire but frost resistant here.

Marnath
2010-08-25, 08:33 PM
Something I haven't seen mentioned yet, is you need a number of carts to haul stuff from one area to another. It's called hand jacks or pallet jacks irl if you need to reasearch what I mean.