PDA

View Full Version : dwarven heal/tank 3.5

heymejack
2010-08-25, 10:54 AM
going for a classic here. a dwarf with a tower shield, healing the party and kicking a little ass on the side. any suggestions on how to go about it?

Caphi
2010-08-25, 10:55 AM
Crusader/Deepstone Sentinel?

PId6
2010-08-25, 10:56 AM
Straight crusader works fine. Stuff yourself full of Devoted Spirit maneuvers and go to town.

Gnaeus
2010-08-25, 11:08 AM
Alternately, you can't go wrong with cleric. Just spend a proficiency on the shield if the tower shield is important. Plenty of militant dwarf gods.

heymejack
2010-08-25, 11:31 AM
i'm sorry, i should've been a little more specific.

TOB is no dice, just core, plus spell compendium and MIC, races of and complete.

I've made a cool cleric in the past with the strength domain, mostly healing and then the one round of awesomeness. but we havn't had anyone willing to play the medic for a while, so I dont' know what the supplements have. suggestions?

Tetrasodium
2010-08-25, 11:39 AM
what level?

heymejack
2010-08-25, 12:10 PM
he'll start at five, and presumably we're going all the way

PId6
2010-08-25, 12:20 PM
If no ToB, just go cleric then. Buy yourself a Wand of Lesser Vigor or two, and heal everyone to full health with those after the battle. Don't bother healing in-combat unless the situation is really dire, since you're better off killing the enemy than healing allies most of the time. Once you get access to Divine Power, you can easily kick ass in melee, but you'll have more trouble with that before 7th level. Tower Shield is not really worth the cost; just use a two-hander with an animated large steel shield.

Gnaeus
2010-08-25, 02:14 PM
To that I would add...
There is a god in races of stone IIRC. Can't remember the name. He has Dwarf waraxe as favored weapon, and his domains include war and destruction.

If you are in a low-mid optimization group, Weapon focus and proficiency with a dwarf waraxe while dropping smites on tougher opponents makes you almost as good as a fighter from the start. Follow PId6's standard cleric advice. Save spells for tougher fights. If your DM allows/if it is within the optimization range of your group, take one of the following (in order of decending awesomeness):
Divine Metamagic persist (CDiv) (Divine power running all day)
Divine Metamagic quicken (CDiv) (Divine power whenever you want it)
Travel Devotion (CChampion) lets you run up to the enemy and still full attack
Law or Chaos Devotion (CChampion) give nice bonuses to your attacks or armor class that stack with almost everything (law is a little better than chaos)

Adumbration
2010-08-25, 03:22 PM
To that I would add...
There is a god in races of stone IIRC. Can't remember the name. He has Dwarf waraxe as favored weapon, and his domains include war and destruction.

If you are in a low-mid optimization group, Weapon focus and proficiency with a dwarf waraxe while dropping smites on tougher opponents makes you almost as good as a fighter from the start. Follow PId6's standard cleric advice. Save spells for tougher fights. If your DM allows/if it is within the optimization range of your group, take one of the following (in order of decending awesomeness):
Divine Metamagic persist (CDiv) (Divine power running all day)
Divine Metamagic quicken (CDiv) (Divine power whenever you want it)
Travel Devotion (CChampion) lets you run up to the enemy and still full attack
Law or Chaos Devotion (CChampion) give nice bonuses to your attacks or armor class that stack with almost everything (law is a little better than chaos)

Ordained champion might be a good PrC for you if you take this approach. Mind you, you need to ask your DM to refluff it to that god instead of Hextor or Heironeous.