PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Paladin Mount question

dgnslyr
2010-08-25, 03:48 PM
I'm making a paladin who's going to charge things with his lance, going into cavalier, with a Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1-level dip for the pounce and Handle Animal skill necessary for for cavalier. Exact levels are Barb 1/Pal 5/Cav1

What's the easiest way to make my paladin mount one that flies? I don't see any rules on d20SRD for nonstandard paladin mounts. Also, this build is pretty feat starved, with four of his six feats going into meeting prerequisites for cavalier, and the last two feats being Battle Blessing, for casting Rhino's Charge on the go, and Power Attack. What's an easy way to get a flying Paladin's mount without using a feat, which I really can't spare.

Harris the Ford
2010-08-25, 03:58 PM
3.5 the rules about nonstandard mounts goes like this: for a nonflying mount the CR of the creature can be no more than (your character level) - 4; for a flying mount its -5. so to use a nightmare (cr 5) you have to be at least character level 10. Of course you still have to make the handle animal checks to train it. The dc for the checks is sometimes listed but for the most part you will have to go over it with your DM and let him/her tell you what is allowed, what isn't, and the DC for the check(s).

dgnslyr
2010-08-25, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the help. That said, what would a good flying mount be?

Adumbration
2010-08-25, 04:22 PM
You can get a Dragonnel as your paladin mount with the feat Dragon steed, both of which can be found in Draconomicon. Has 90 ft fly speed.

dgnslyr
2010-08-25, 04:28 PM
Sounds great. Slight problem- my build is VERY feat-starved. It could work, though.

Adumbration
2010-08-25, 04:41 PM
Hmm. There's also an alternate class feature in Dragon magic - Drakkensteed mount - that well, gives you a drakkensteed mount. No feat required. It's a lot weaker than Dragonnel, though, and has fly speed of 60 (poor). Depends on what you need, I guess.

dgnslyr
2010-08-25, 05:04 PM
Hrm, I can't seem to find it. Where should I look for this class feature.

Greenish
2010-08-25, 06:22 PM
Hrm, I can't seem to find it. Where should I look for this class feature.Page 13, in the middle of left column.

dgnslyr
2010-08-25, 06:32 PM
Perfect! Just what I was looking for.

Marnath
2010-08-25, 10:02 PM
There's an alignment issue here, barbarians can't be lawful, and paladins have to be lawful good. I don't really see how you can dip barb in a pally build. :smallconfused:

Greenish
2010-08-25, 10:07 PM
There's an alignment issue here, barbarians can't be lawful, and paladins have to be lawful good. I don't really see how you can dip barb in a pally build. :smallconfused:Alignment switch, or paladin of freedom.

gallagher
2010-08-25, 10:08 PM
There's an alignment issue here, barbarians can't be lawful, and paladins have to be lawful good. I don't really see how you can dip barb in a pally build. :smallconfused:

write it off as you were a barbarian first, then changed alignment. IIRC the only thing you lose if you go lawful is your ability to rage.

secondly, i would suggest not going with teh barbarian in the first place, and get a wand of the paladin spell that lets you full attack on a charge (or is that ranger only?)

dgnslyr
2010-08-25, 10:11 PM
I have the barbarian dip because I need it for Handle Animal and Pounce. Double the skill points is also nice, especially on the first level. I don't care much for Rage. It would prevent me from using Rhino's Rush, anyway.

Greenish
2010-08-25, 10:14 PM
I could care less about Rage.Well, if you want to keep it, you can be a paladin of freedom (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladinVariantsFreedom SlaughterAndTyranny).

[Edit]: Or did you mean that you couldn't care less? That makes more sense with the rest of the post. :smallconfused:

Stephen_E
2010-08-25, 11:43 PM
Alternate Paladin Mounts

DMG pg 204 - Mounts - Unusual Mounts bottem of the page.
Flyers
-1 Paladin lev - Hippogriff, Dire Bat
-2 Paladin Lev - Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Pegasus
-3 Paladin Lev - Griffon

Stephen E

dgnslyr
2010-08-26, 12:26 AM
The Drakkensteed seems great for a flying mount, though the other choices look good as well. The vanilla paladin works better the Paladin of Freedom, because I plan on going into Cavalier, which requires a lawful alignment. I can go from NG to LG, losing me rage while letting me go into Paladin and then Cavalier.