Attack: Claw +13 (2d6+10)
Full Attack: 2 Claws +13 (4d6+10)
Space/Reach: 15ft./15ft.
Special Attacks: Armored Body 1d4+7, Tail Sweep
Special Qualities: Defensive Curl, DR 10/adamantine
Saves: Fort +11, Reflex +8, Will +8
Abilities: Str 25, Dex 10, Con 16, Int 1, Wis 10, Cha 4
Skills: ?
Feats: Track, Improved Natural Attack (claws), Awesome Blow(b)
Environment: Warm temperate
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 10
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: 13 – 16 HD (Gargantuan)
Level Adjustment: -

A large, heavily armored quadruped slowly moves towards you, its scales shifting with each movement, providing a sturdy defense. It is brown in color, with its scales somewhat golden in the sunlight. As you approach it, it uses its long tail to stabilize it as it raises up onto its hind legs.

Dire pangolins are gigantic versions of the somewhat more common pangolin – a type of heavily armored ant-eater. Dire pangolins are even more heavily armored and can often go unimpeded by attempts to attack it.

Dire pangolins hunt mostly for monstrous ants, termites, and also consume bark.

Combat
Dire pangolins are passive creatures that would rather avoid any conflict if possible. When forced to fight, they strike with strong claws. When injured, a dire pangolin rolls into a curled form and attempts to flee. During combat, a dire pangolin constantly flexes its skin muscles, which causes its armored scales to move – damaging any melee combatants who strike at it.

Armored Body (ex): A dire pangolin is covered entirely entirely with a thick and sharp suit of armor; this armor is similar to, but stronger than, the material of human hair or nails. During combat, a pangolin flexes its skin's muscles, causing the armor plates to wiggle. Enemies who strike a dire pangolin in melee range take 1d4 plus the pangolin's strength modifier in slashing damage with each attack they make.

Defensive Curl (ex): A dire pangolin at less than two thirds of its HP will curl up tightly into a ball as a move action, attempting to use its heavy hide as an escape mechanism. While curled, a dire pangolin cannot attack or even see, although it does not gain the penalties associated with blindness; while curled, a pangolin's natural armor class increases by +10 and the pangolin's move speed doubles.

Tail Sweep (Ex): A dire pangolin who is currently flanked does not take the normal -4 attack penalty when using the Awesome Blow feat.

What does everyone think?

Venardhi
2010-08-25, 09:23 PM
How about using its tongue as a way to trip? Decreased damage from slashing or piercing weapons, increased from bludgeoning weapons? Some sort of tail thwack against flanking enemies? Could use a little more practical flavor.

Always did like those little guys though, they look like a fantasy creature by default already.

Waargh!
2010-08-25, 10:42 PM
I think you implied this ability:

No mercy for the cowards(SU): For unknown reasons, any humanoid that tries to run away from the pangolin yelling "ahh" or similar cowardice phrases fails and has to actually run towards the pangolin for the remainder of the action (see picture)

Violet Octopus
2010-08-26, 07:32 AM
Hee, I've liked pangolins ever since I saw a drawing of them wearing top hats.

Also, would make a fun mount.

Tongue tripping sounds cool. Possibly also grappling. Int 1 probably precludes disarming.

The Awesome Blow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#awesomeBlow) feat seems all right for the tail sweep idea. Maybe instead of introducing facing rules for the creature, give the following:

Tail Sweep (Ex): A dire pangolin who is currently flanked does not take the normal -4 attack penalty when using the Awesome Blow feat.

Obrysii
2010-08-26, 08:42 AM
The Awesome Blow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#awesomeBlow) feat seems all right for the tail sweep idea. Maybe instead of introducing facing rules for the creature, give the following:

I like this - I'll add that in.

JessGulbranson
2010-09-01, 10:49 AM
You gotta love pangolins. Now we need a Pangolin monster PC class.

Temotei
2010-09-01, 11:25 AM
For skills, you could just put in the standbys for animals: Listen, Spot, and Survival. Fill in any extra skill points with Climb. You should have fifteen (15) skill ranks to spend, so I'd go something like (not counting bonuses from ability scores) this: Climb 2 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Spot 4 ranks, Survival 5 ranks. Do what you like with that, though. Don't forget that a Climb speed grants a +8 bonus to Climb checks, as well.

With 12 HD, this should have a base attack bonus of +9, not +8.

Average hit points should be 90, not 84 (12 x 4.5 + 36 = 90).

Put low-light vision under its special qualities.

The Armor Class row should read like this: "Armor Class 26 (-2 size, +18 natural), touch 8, flat-footed 26"

If you like, add a colon after Armor Class, as well. Sources differ on that.

Bonus feats should be denoted as such with superscripts, which are made like this: B

MarkusWolfe
2010-09-06, 09:30 PM
This would go great with my tanning mechanic (flaying beasts and turning them into armor)

Leon
2010-09-07, 03:52 AM
Dire pangolins hunt mostly for monstrous ants, termites, and also consume bark.

I need one for my Druid, He has a problem with giant ants.