PDA

View Full Version : Quicken and Rapid Spell with Channeled spells

Cieyrin
2010-08-25, 07:46 PM
PHB2 and CM both have Channeled spells that increase effect when you spend more time casting them. What happens if you Quicken or Rapid said spells? Do I go off of the original casting time and then apply the metamagic or does the metamagic not work on 'em?

Say I cast a Rapid Channeled Pyroblast (PHB2), so the later 2 casting options are Standard and Full Round, as opposed to Full Round and 2 Rounds, respectively. Do I get the lesser results, according to the spell, or the actual amount, as the metamagic would imply? HALP! :smalleek:

DownwardSpiral
2010-08-25, 11:33 PM
PHB2 and CM both have Channeled spells that increase effect when you spend more time casting them. What happens if you Quicken or Rapid said spells? Do I go off of the original casting time and then apply the metamagic or does the metamagic not work on 'em?

Say I cast a Rapid Channeled Pyroblast (PHB2), so the later 2 casting options are Standard and Full Round, as opposed to Full Round and 2 Rounds, respectively. Do I get the lesser results, according to the spell, or the actual amount, as the metamagic would imply? HALP! :smalleek:

Teeeeeecccchnically......

Quicken Spell [Metamagic]
Benefit

Casting a quickened spell is an swift action. ...

By RAW, you would get the swift action effect, because that's how long it took you to cast it. You'd probably have to go to your DM about this, but if it were me, I'd probably let it go down a step. For example, use the full round action effect with a standard action.